Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
I am guessing this is a software issue. I had my car coded and had the TPMS PSI/Temp Data working. Then, I took the car in in July and had the Global update done. The update wiped out all of the prior coding. When I had it recoded the TPMS data came up with the dreaded ---. Ugh. It appears that it depends on what version of software you have whether or not you can activate this feature.
Chuck, I'm not sure what happened in your case. I have not heard of this happening to anyone else, and I have coded this on many cars with the 46.6 update up though 47.4, and I have yet you see an ISTA/P version that it does not work on.

I would go back and double check the coding in my Post # 72.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 09-13-2012, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
You have a very impressive list of options, including NVE.
Thanks!
Whats NVE btw; I tried finding it in that list, but failed :-(

Quote:
but for some reason BMW blessed Canadians with FTMS instead of TPMS. .
Yeah, the guy at the dealer when I purchased the car said that they had too many issues with people not understanding when the pressure dropped etc what to do; they they stopped importing the cars with TPMS and put in the FTMS to avoid service calls at the dealership and 'false postives'...

Quote:
The part you bought, that is just for the wheel assembly / valve stem? I suppose you cold try and retrofit the receiver piece, and then add 2VB to your VO and code you car and see if it works.
Yes, I got the TMPS sensor, and valve stem only... I made an assumption based on early reading here that would do the trick - didnt do my research too well and as result wasted some cash, unless I could get the other parts etc; I got a helpfull guy at the dealer who said he would try and reverese enginer the parts list for me, to see if we can order those parts - If I can get the parts, I'll let you know - as I will likly need way more help coding the VO as you suggested -

if I can get the parts, I'll post the numbers here... in case there is other people who want to try this....

Last edited by bmguy; 09-13-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Hell. It looks like they made up for it though by giving you not one, but two KOMBI's.

Be sure to code both of them.
I'm sure I know the answer to this, but your kidding right? (i'm sure you are but hell!, I can barley keep the coding straight for one now I have to do two!
Old 09-13-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmguy View Post
Thanks!
Whats NVE btw; I tried finding it in that list, but failed :-(

Yeah, the guy at the dealer when I purchased the car said that they had too many issues with people not understanding when the pressure dropped etc what to do; they they stopped importing the cars with TPMS and put in the FTMS to avoid service calls at the dealership and 'false postives'...

Yes, I got the TMPS sensor, and valve stem only... I made an assumption based on early reading here that would do the trick - didnt do my research too well and as result wasted some cash, unless I could get the other parts etc; I got a helpfull guy at the dealer who said he would try and reverese enginer the partyslist for me, too if we can order those parts - If I can get the parts, I'll let you know - as I will likly need way more help coding the VO as you suggested -

if I can get the parts, I'll post the numbers here... in case there is other people who want to try this....
NVE = Night Vision Equipment = 6UK

I'd love to see you try and finish this retrofit. There are a lot of people that would love a DIY on replacing FTMS with TPMS. The coding will be easy, so I would not worry at all about that part. You need to figure out where the receiver modules go in the Wheel Well, and make sure your current RDC Module can support them.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 09-13-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I'm sure I know the answer to this, but your kidding right? (i'm sure you are but hell!, I can barley keep the coding straight for one now I have to do two!
I am kidding. I am sure you have only one Instrument Cluster in your car, but it was listed twice. Probably a copy and paste error.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
NVE = Night Vision Equipment = 6UK

I'd love to see you try and finish this retrofit. There are a lot of people that would love a DIY on replacing FTMS with TPMS. The coding will be easy, so I would not woory at all about that part. You need to figure out where there receiver modules go in the Wheel Well, and make sure your current RDC Module can support them.
Ahh, NVE! Its interesting for sure - not sure I would spend the money on that again (but thats a different topic I think I commented on before here

As for the project; I'm VERY interested in moving it along - I have a few bucks to toy with this, as I'm knee deep in it now anyways (and I hate to give up!)

If you have some experts in mind that can help point me to get some answers etc I will chase that down and see what can be done. The dealer here in town has been very helpfull, but I suspect this will be past there edge of understanding as there is pretty much no canadian cars with TPMS!

I suspect a friendly USA dealer (or simular) who has experance replaceing and order these parts could be very helpfull - so if someone has contacts we can use to come up with idea's I'd be willing to try them out.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I am kidding. I am sure you have only one Instrument Cluster in your car, but it was listed twice. Probably a copy and paste error.
ohh;
I actualy do have two... Is that not normal to have two?

there is one in the back seat, and it comes with a wheel and a pedal also - I've never seen it - but some people give me instructions like there is one back there!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Ahh, NVE! Its interesting for sure - not sure I would spend the money on that again (but thats a different topic I think I commented on before here

As for the project; I'm VERY interested in moving it along - I have a few bucks to toy with this, as I'm knee deep in it now anyways (and I hate to give up!)

If you have some experts in mind that can help point me to get some answers etc I will chase that down and see what can be done. The dealer here in town has been very helpfull, but I suspect this will be past there edge of understanding as there is pretty much no canadian cars with TPMS!

I suspect a friendly USA dealer (or simular) who has experance replaceing and order these parts could be very helpfull - so if someone has contacts we can use to come up with idea's I'd be willing to try them out.
Your dealer still should be able to look in their system, and see what parts you would need.

I think the other main missing piece you need is the CONTROL UNIT RDC, but the good news is that the new TPMS requires only one control unit for all 4 wheel modules. Prior to 2010, it required one control unit per wheel module.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...id=52156&hg=36
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F10 535i - Tire pressure control (RDC) - ctrl unit (1).png
Views:	217
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	341744   Click image for larger version

Name:	F10 535i - Tire pressure control (RDC) - ctrl unit (2).png
Views:	158
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	341746  

Old 10-24-2012, 10:02 AM

Well; here is the latest on the adding of TPMS parts to the the cars that dont have enough parts to make this work;

"Now to your question about converting your tire pressure system to the TPMS-system:

I have compared your car to one that would have the system, called BMW for your question and talked to my college.

Result of the researches: The answer to the question is: NO

There are more details in the set up for the 550xi besides a module + the different ABS-connection. According to BMW the TPMS-system for all the tires is not retrofit able."

Sounds like a who collection of parts etc - seems ike getting an answer on exactly what those parts are not not likly. The fact it requires new ABS sensors etc also scares me, as that could cause all sorts of concerns downt he road... I'm going to not proceed with this work based on the number of systems it touchs, the complexity and safty concerns.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Well; here is the latest on the adding of TPMS parts to the the cars that dont have enough parts to make this work;

"Now to your question about converting your tire pressure system to the TPMS-system:

I have compared your car to one that would have the system, called BMW for your question and talked to my college.

Result of the researches: The answer to the question is: NO

There are more details in the set up for the 550xi besides a module + the different ABS-connection. According to BMW the TPMS-system for all the tires is not retrofit able."

Sounds like a who collection of parts etc - seems ike getting an answer on exactly what those parts are not not likly. The fact it requires new ABS sensors etc also scares me, as that could cause all sorts of concerns downt he road... I'm going to not proceed with this work based on the number of systems it touchs, the complexity and safty concerns.
I would not expect anything less from BMW. Ask them about retrofitting anything, and if they do not officially offer it as a retrofit, the answer will be always be no.

It may not be practical, I'm not disputing that, but BMW stating it isn't retrofittable does not mean much. They will also tell you that you can't retrofit a CIC for a CCC, yet it has been done a thousand times.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:10 PM

I guess the big issue for me... I can't find a list of parts to figure out the scope of the project.... If I had that... It may be easy to decide...

I'm not one for playing with safety systems either... So depending on what that parts list looks like I may not have the stomach for it... A simple sensor swap is not a big deal, but I wold need to find someone who can actually get a list of parts together... That seems to be very hard...
Old 11-23-2012, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW M5
2013 BMW M5
Production Date: 2012-07-19
OEM Wheels & Tires
Old 11-23-2012, 10:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpetuousRacer View Post
2013 BMW M5
OEM Wheels & Tires
Very odd. Works perfectly fine on my M5.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i xDrive
Working for me 2013 535i xDrive 07-12-2012 build date.

2013 535i xDrive, Imperial Blue Metallic, Oyster and Black Nappa Leather, ZCW, ZDA, ZDH, ZLS, ZMP, ZPP, ZTP, 2TB, 323, 416, 4CE, 4U1, 5AC, 677, JB4 Tuner
Old 11-24-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:
2013 BMW M5
OEM Wheels & Tires
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Very odd. Works perfectly fine on my M5.
No Rhyme or Reason, same as it has always been since we started this.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW M5
I stand corrected guys, after a short drive it showed up.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:53 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
I will code my 2013 M5 soon. Will I need new pSDZ files or can I use the ones from march?

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Old 11-24-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Glad to hear that, as I have not heard of any other TPMS issues on any other new builds.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I will code my 2013 M5 soon. Will I need new pSDZ files or can I use the ones from march?
I think March, 46.x, will likely be too old. You probably need at least July, 47.x.

I would grab 47.5, and add the 48.1 CAFD's myself.

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 11-24-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:08 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
This feature is working on my 2013 M5.

I got to say, I am wondering how accurate it is.

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Old 11-25-2012, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
My TPMS sensors seem fairly accurate, +/- 0.5 psi compared to the gauge i have.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
2011 BMW 535xi
Production Date: 2011-08-10
OEM Wheels & Tires (Style 331, Goodyear), but WORKING with winter setup (Style 330, Dunlop) with new TPM purchased from Tisher BMW

Last edited by Kristoph; 12-03-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 535i GT
Ok in a WTF moment my TMPS is now showing data. I bumped a curb pulling out of the bank and switched to the display just to check and the pressure and temp data is now there.

No idea why I have not messed with coding in months and my car has not been in the shop.

We will see if it stays...

FWIW
DLM

PS I did scuff my rim dammit. Not too bad but I know it is there.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunz View Post
Ok in a WTF moment my TMPS is now showing data. I bumped a curb pulling out of the bank and switched to the display just to check and the pressure and temp data is now there.

No idea why I have not messed with coding in months and my car has not been in the shop.

We will see if it stays...

FWIW
DLM

PS I did scuff my rim dammit. Not too bad but I know it is there.
Weird. I installed a new set of wheels/tires/TPMS a month ago or so. Initially the pressures didn't show after resetting the TPMS system, even though each tire on the display went "green". A couple of miles later, the pressures started showing and continue to show.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:44 PM

I would be willing to bump a curb to get mine to work... If it was certain....
Mine have been green no errors or data for months now....

Tk