Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 06-10-2012, 06:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport Xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
It's tough to say really, there are so many variables involved that you'll see a pretty big spread regarding mileage, depending on driver, conditions and weather. All I know is that I have had great experiences with Bridgestone tires.
Thanks. Just ordered mine from Tirerack Since I am going to get dedicated winter tires I went with the Summers. Interestingly the A/S tires seem to weigh a pound less than the summer tires.

Current:
2014 BMW 535i Xdrive Msport Dark Graphite/Mocha Nappa
Tinted Side/Rear Reflectors|Black Chrome Emblems|M Rear Spoiler|Rear Sunshade| Carbon Fiber Fender Trim | LCI M5 Grilles | M Performance Exhaust Tips
2010 Volkswagen CC 2.0T DSG Island Gray/Black
Retired:
2011 BMW 535i Xdrive DSB/Venetian Beige
Old 06-10-2012, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaysid View Post
Thanks. Just ordered mine from Tirerack Since I am going to get dedicated winter tires I went with the Summers. Interestingly the A/S tires seem to weigh a pound less than the summer tires.
I drove about 100 miles on these yesterday got up to 110 mph on the highway. What a a difference. The Bridgestone Potenza S-04 biggest differences from the Good Year Excellence RFT.

1. Ride quality feels like you went from summer to all season, but grip feels like you went from all season to summer.
2. No longer feel every expansion joint, rut and uneven surface, especially on the highway.
3. On highspeed off ramps where the car wants to understeer, stays flat, no drama.
4. Tires are silent

Never going back. What a difference
Old 06-10-2012, 09:00 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
I drove about 100 miles on these yesterday got up to 110 mph on the highway. What a a difference. The Bridgestone Potenza S-04 biggest differences from the Good Year Excellence RFT.

1. Ride quality feels like you went from summer to all season, but grip feels like you went from all season to summer.
2. No longer feel every expansion joint, rut and uneven surface, especially on the highway.
3. On highspeed off ramps where the car wants to understeer, stays flat, no drama.
4. Tires are silent

It makes a big difference. I realized this during my European delivery trip.

I picked up my car on a Monday. Then I went to the M5 experience that Friday and Saturday. What was striking was that the M5 had better ride quality on 20s than my 550 had on 19s. That finalized my decision to switch tires the moment the 550 arrived in the US.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 06-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:

4. Tires are silent

Yeah, see my RFT's suck 1,000,001 post. The "Summer" Excellence tires are a total joke. My reasons were the same as yours.

On the other hand, it was fun to squeal them on an exit ramp the other day. Low grip.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 06-10-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Yeah, see my RFT's suck 1,000,001 post. The "Summer" Excellence tires are a total joke. My reasons were the same as yours.

On the other hand, it was fun to squeal them on an exit ramp the other day. Low grip.
Overall the GY Excellence isn't terrible, but compared to a cheaper,dedicated summer tire, it fails in terms of the following categories:
Hydroplaning,wet traction,cornering stability,dry traction,steering response,ride comfort,noise comfort, and treadwear.
The only thing it's got going for it is you can drive on it if it loses air. The odds that a Truck making a delivery to a nail factory is suddenly going to dump it's cargo onto the highway and cause me to have horrific tire failure is pretty low. I'll take my chances.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Overall the GY Excellence isn't terrible, but compared to a cheaper,dedicated summer tire, it fails in terms of the following categories:
Hydroplaning,wet traction,cornering stability,dry traction,steering response,ride comfort,noise comfort, and treadwear.
The only thing it's got going for it is you can drive on it if it loses air. The odds that a Truck making a delivery to a nail factory is suddenly going to dump it's cargo onto the highway and cause me to have horrific tire failure is pretty low. I'll take my chances.
We talk about this, and about 2 months ago, we picked up one nail and one screw in each of the rear tires of my wife's car. Had they not held air, we would have been stranded, even with one spare.

It's all a crap shoot.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 06-23-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:

4. Tires are silent

Finally swapped out my tires and can atttest to every point TJ mentioned. I actually went from 18 inch Continental RFTs to 19 inch S-04's and the ride is still better with an increase in grip and cornering ability. Really transforms the car!

Current:
Tinted Side/Rear Reflectors|Black Chrome Emblems|M Rear Spoiler|Rear Sunshade| Carbon Fiber Fender Trim | LCI M5 Grilles | M Performance Exhaust Tips
Retired:
Old 06-23-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaysid View Post
Finally swapped out my tires and can atttest to every point TJ mentioned. I actually went from 18 inch Continental RFTs to 19 inch S-04's and the ride is still better with an increase in grip and cornering ability. Really transforms the car!
The biggest thing for me is the car no longer sounds like the body mounts are crashing or bottoming out when I hit bigger bumps and pot holes.
What is your wheel and tire set up?

I have the RWD OEM staggered sport set up:
BMW Wheel Style 331 - 19"
245/40/19 front
275/35/19 rear

Last edited by TJPark01; 06-23-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
Quote:
The biggest thing for me is the car no longer sounds like the body mounts are crashing or bottoming out when I hit bigger bumps and pot holes.

245/40/19 front
275/35/19 rear

Why did you decide not to go with a slightly (5mm) higher sidewall?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace535i View Post
Why did you decide not to go with a slightly (5mm) higher sidewall?
Just went with the stock size, didn't put any thought into it other than to follow OEM specs. I lit up the tires this weekend, they are awesome.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:

245/40/19 front
275/35/19 rear
Agreed. The problem was I guess I had got used to the RFT's transmitting every bump back through the suspension where as now the tires just soak them up.

My setup is non-staggered (X-drive) 245/45/19 on some Avant Guard 19" rims which are actually about 3.5 Lbs lighter than the stock 18" rim.

I have kept one of my 18 inch rims with tire as a spare, question for others who went the non-RFT route and decided to keep a spare, is only the BMW jack set compatible? Or will a generic set do. I peeked on the underside of car and it has a special rectangle for the lift points.

Also not sure what the correct pressure should be for the up-sized tire I have, maybe I should check out the 535i GT specs since they come with with the same ratio tire.

Current:
Retired:
Old 06-24-2012, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
For those who abandoned the RFTs, how many are riding with a purchased spare? Or are most of you taking your chances and just planning to use roadside assistance?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksqrd View Post
For those who abandoned the RFTs, how many are riding with a purchased spare? Or are most of you taking your chances and just planning to use roadside assistance?
The M cars come with a mobility kit which is nothing more than tire sealant and an air compressor. I use the same thing. But I don't buy the mobility kit from the dealer for 150 bucks, I have the one from slime for 40 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-70005-Sa.../dp/B001DZFZPG
Old 06-24-2012, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
Quote:
I've chosen a third way: I carry a Slime 70005 Safety Spair Flat Tire Repair System, as well as a tire plug kit.
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 06-24-2012, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
Quote:
Just went with the stock size, didn't put any thought into it other than to follow OEM specs. I lit up the tires this weekend, they are awesome.
That's great news!!
Old 06-25-2012, 04:26 AM

TJ, you should be ashamed to post pictures of such dirty wheels.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:28 AM

Quote:
I use this:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/tire+repair+kit.do

Not cheap, but cheaper than the BMW kit and the compressor is REALLY high quality. I have used it on both cars, kids bikes, etc. It's solid metal and feels very substantial, works well.

This is the compressor it comes with:

http://www.viaircorp.com/85P.html

And look, the video they use for it is on a BMW. LOL.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 06-25-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
TJ, you should be ashamed to post pictures of such dirty wheels.
Yeah I know... I didn't wash the wheels after the tire shop put them on.

Quote:
I use this:
This looks much more substantial than the crappy compressor they supply you with in other kits. I think if this kit can't fix your situation it's time for roadside assistance.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Quote:
Yeah I know... I didn't wash the wheels after the tire shop put them on.

This looks much more substantial than the crappy compressor they supply you with in other kits. I think if this kit can't fix your situation it's time for roadside assistance.
Are we discussing tire repair or wheel cleaning?
I never heard if roadside assitance for the latter.

I carry a standard jack as well and have my winter wheels at home.
The Michelins ssp are well available at the different tire shops overhere, something that can not be said of most of the RFT type tires.
What pressure do you use i ve got 34 / 39 psi on front/rears.
Fully loaded I will raise that to 37 / 41psi , on 245 45 R18 100W XL
Old 06-25-2012, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i Msport
Quote:
Quick question. I'm going to change the oem 19" rfts to Michelin PSS non-rfts this weekend. The tire shop's quote also included the cost of an alignment. That doesn't sound right to me. Or is it? Do I need an alignment if I'm just swapping rft tires for non-rft tires, same rims and same tire sizes?? I have a 550i msport. Any help on this question is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkthght View Post
Quick question. I'm going to change the oem 19" rfts to Michelin PSS non-rfts this weekend. The tire shop's quote also included the cost of an alignment. That doesn't sound right to me. Or is it? Do I need an alignment if I'm just swapping rft tires for non-rft tires, same rims and same tire sizes?? I have a 550i msport. Any help on this question is greatly appreciated.
How many miles do you have on the car?
Do you have Active Steering on the car?
Have you blown out any of the tires or have bubbled tires due to all the pot holes in this town?
What are they quoting you with the alignment?
Where are you getting this done?
Old 06-25-2012, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 530i
Michelin primacy mxm4.

Non run flats. Quiet smooth and comfortable.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
How many miles do you have on the car?
Do you have Active Steering on the car?
Have you blown out any of the tires or have bubbled tires due to all the pot holes in this town?
What are they quoting you with the alignment?
Where are you getting this done?
Thanks for replying and I apologize for the lack of specifics. I have a 2012 550i msport that I recently took ED delivery of. I put about 700 miles on the car in europe and Im taking redelivery next week. The car has integral active steering, no blown or bubbled tires, nor have I had the misfortune of hitting a large pothole...yet.. The tire shop (discount wheel warehouse in fullerton) is quoting me $145 for the alignment. Do you think this is necessary? And if so, should let these guys work on my new vehicle, or should I get it done at bmw (assuming its not cost prohibitive)? Thanks again.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkthght View Post
Thanks for replying and I apologize for the lack of specifics. I have a 2012 550i msport that I recently took ED delivery of. I put about 700 miles on the car in europe and Im taking redelivery next week. The car has integral active steering, no blown or bubbled tires, nor have I had the misfortune of hitting a large pothole...yet.. The tire shop (discount wheel warehouse in fullerton) is quoting me $145 for the alignment. Do you think this is necessary? And if so, should let these guys work on my new vehicle, or should I get it done at bmw (assuming its not cost prohibitive)? Thanks again.
You don't need an alignment, not even close. I had 18k miles on my car and the alignment on the right was slightly off. I got it done for 90 bucks on a Hunter Hawkeye elite alignment machine. The PSS tires out the door should be about $1400 with a form to fill out to get $70 prepaid american express card in the mail in about 2 weeks. This is a high margin product for them if you are getting quoted higher look else where. Also make sure they are equipped to handle runflat tires. The tires are a bi@tch to get off the rims. Also make sure they tighten the wheel bolts with a torque wrench not an impact gun. The setting is 103 ft./lbs.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
You don't need an alignment, not even close. I had 18k miles on my car and the alignment on the right was slightly off. I got it done for 90 bucks on a Hunter Hawkeye elite alignment machine. The PSS tires out the door should be about $1400 with a form to fill out to get $70 prepaid american express card in the mail in about 2 weeks. This is a high margin product for them if you are getting quoted higher look else where. Also make sure they are equipped to handle runflat tires. The tires are a bi@tch to get off the rims. Also make sure they tighten the wheel bolts with a torque wrench not an impact gun. The setting is 103 ft./lbs.
This is great information. I'm getting the tires, tpms, mount and balance for $1306 out the door. I'll definitely ask about the rebate form and the torque wrench. Thanks again for the help.