Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 06-07-2012, 04:02 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 525i
Exclamation lots of misc. problems with 90 525

hello everyone noob here i bought a 1990 525i with 230000 miles on it for 500 dollars. to start this off every now and again my low beam lights wont turn on, i have to pop hood open fuse box on driver side and give it a hit and they come back on. also have a very hard time starting when cold, i have to put gas to floor and turn it over for 5 seconds then it starts but ya gotta stay on the gas till its done clearing its throat ... further more both of the front seat fuses were blown .. what could have caused this. when i bought it the reason for so cheap was cause the owner before me got a new water pump installed and someone didnt know how to bleed the system, took 3 hours to get all the air out of cooling system. also with the cooling system the coolant has from what i see oil in the coolant... how could this happen? does not over heat but does leak coolant i think from the plastic thermostat housing ... to be changed i know this is quite a bit but all help is needed
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2012, 04:27 AM

Mein Auto: "06 BMW 525i
Welcome! First if you have oil in your coolant then you might see what appears to be a milky residue on your radiator cap...if so unfortunately you might be looking at a blown head gasket for starters, possibly a warped head..which will need resurfacing...but I'm not a expert... I had that happen to me on a
Honda about 10yrs.ago.Good luck! Hopefully it's not the case and maybe it's not oil in your coolant
Sent from my MB855 using Bimmer App
Old 06-07-2012, 04:52 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 525i
yes oil in coolant looks milky... whatever is in the coolant is not mixing with the coolant no milkyness anywhere.. so if its not oil .. could it be a coolant stop leak ?

Last edited by mike_f525; 06-07-2012 at 04:58 AM.