Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-07-2013, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 99 323i
water on pass. floor

Well it rained for the last 3 days here in NC, I clean out my car today to find front and rear pass. Floor is soaked. I looked under the car, no holes rot or rust. What could this be. Now my windsheild strip around the window has pealed off the window. I did a search and found that it could be clogged water ports in the sunroof or filter under the hood? My roof is not wet and the sunroof is making a great seal. I'm stumped
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Water still gets through the sunroof seal and has to drain out at the corners of the sunroof cassette assembly. Leak could be coming from any glass.

Have your window regulators been worked on on that side? Open the doors and see if the black felt at the bottom on the car body is wet. Check for drips from below the door panel - this is usually a problem with the vapor barrier (a foam membrane stuck to the door with a black tarry adhesive called ribbon seal). Also the felt grommets around the plastic pop-rivets for the panel help keep water out so if any of those are missing you could get a leak there. Once the rain stops, you can run a hose on the closed window and see if any water comes trickling out from the bottom of the door panel.

If it's a clogged sunroof, either it's clogged or the drain tube has popped off. I think the solution is to pour boiling hot water into the drain and hope it clears. You can try to snake a straightened coat hangar in there, but you don't want to rip through the tube or pop it off so that's not advised unless you're super careful. If the tube has popped off it can be fixed but is a bit more work and i'm not familiar with that.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD

Last edited by ahull; 06-07-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325 xi
I will second the vapor barrier. If the window regulator has been replaced, then some one might not have sealed the barrier properly.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 330i E46
Happened to me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99bmwDave View Post
Well it rained for the last 3 days here in NC, I clean out my car today to find front and rear pass. Floor is soaked. I looked under the car, no holes rot or rust. What could this be. Now my windsheild strip around the window has pealed off the window. I did a search and found that it could be clogged water ports in the sunroof or filter under the hood? My roof is not wet and the sunroof is making a great seal. I'm stumped
If your, "Now my windsheild strip around the window has pealed off the window" really has peeled off the window, then this could be the primary cause. Happened to me a few months back after several days of heavy rains. A very depressing evening after coming back to my car to the airport parking lot after being out of the country for several weeks and seeing the INSIDE of my car windows fully condensed with water. As if it had been raining on the inside!!!! No serious electrical damage, although... every once in a while something acts up electrically.

I went through the sunroof drains troubleshooting and the door seals, panel weatherstripping, etc. It wasn't from those locations.

If the windshield strip around the window has peeled or cracked. The rain route goes like this: from the windshield; under this cover, cowling, and directly into your front air intake vent for the AC & environment controls, where the cabin filter is located; then right through the vent system and into the floorboard vents, i.e. the vents that keep your feet warm in the winter when you have the heater on. Presto! Water on your front and rear floorboards.

Give it a test:
Open the hood and remove the cabin filter cover (so you can see the path the water takes). It doesn't go over the cabin filter cover, the water goes under it via a small channel where the cabin filter "tub" connects to the engine firewall. Then pour a large amount of water on the windshield above where the stripped or cracked windshield cover is located and observe the path the water takes.

Good luck finding it. It took me a few additional rains and eventually pouring water everywhere to find the path!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	380765  
Old 08-26-2013, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: 3series,Vito Van,Cruiser
I have a 316 E46 '99 and water is dripping out just above (left side) passenger pillar airbag, i had thought it was water in the roofrack channel/car roof assembly seam running down and under the windscreen seal. but now i read about "sunroof cassete drain" where is this, any ideas or pics? I have checked when its raining and with a hose but cant see water entering through the sunroof glass or seal.

I will get back to you if you can help, Thanks...
Old 08-26-2013, 10:05 PM

Mein Auto: E46 sedan
If you have a moon roof most like the plastic on the moonroof pan is cracked causing it to run down the headliner, then down the a pillars, then down around the glovebox.
You can test it by opening the moonroof and pouring it directly into the drains and having someone else watch from inside. If it is cracked, get ready because repair gets involved
Old 08-27-2013, 05:06 AM

Mein Auto: 3series,Vito Van,Cruiser
where are these drains located, can i see them with my head in the sunroof cavity, or are they buried down inside the ceiling upholestry?

also when you say moonroof do you mean like this?

If you go to the link you can see an exploded view of the sunroof/moonroof. In the diagram it says part number 12 is a drain hose, do you know where it is located?
Old 08-27-2013, 05:23 AM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTheWife View Post
where are these drains located, can i see them with my head in the sunroof cavity, or are they buried down inside the ceiling upholestry?

also when you say moonroof do you mean like this?

If you go to the link you can see an exploded view of the sunroof/moonroof. In the diagram it says part number 12 is a drain hose, do you know where it is located?

I think moonroof is glass, sunroof is metal. Same functionality otherwise except there's probably no inner sliding shade with the sunroof.

From what I've read the drain hoses are at the corners. If you take the glass/metal panel out of the moon/sunroof you'll probably be able to see the front corner drains. Not sure about the rears. Maybe with a flashlight.

I'm not sure you can post links yet, but it shows up when I reply with quote: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...05&hg=54&fg=05
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 08-27-2013, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 00 323iT, 99 323i, others
After you get the leak fixed (whatever the cause), make the effort to dry out the carpet properly. If you have floor mats and reinstall them after you think the carpet is dry, you will have problems down the road.

This is because, even if the pile (the part you touch) is dry, the backing and, especially, the padding underneath can still be soaking wet. Mold and mildew are not fun things, especially in a small, enclosed space like a car.

Since it is just half of the carpet, you don't need to remove the whole thing to dry it, but it will be easier if you take out the pass seat (don't forget to unplug the harness first). Then ring out, sop up, remove as much moisture as you can by mechanical means, and expose as much of the padding as possible to the air. Direct a fan toward the padding and let it blow for at least 12 hrs. You may also want to hit it with a mold inhibitor, ask your local ServePro-type franchisee for a bottle. When it is good and dry--and fresh smelling--reinstall.

BTW, if the carpet needs to be shampooed, this is a good time to take care of the whole car.

Also check wiring, esp. at the connectors. At the very least, if there seems to have been even a possibility that something got wet, unplug, clean and grease, and then replug them.