Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 05-13-2012, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: Company Car
Power steering issues

So I sent out my three power steering lines to be refurbished at a local shop and when I got them back they made them to their liking. The high pressure line was missing the crimp in the middle which holds a in-line restrictor in place. The shop said they welded their own restrictors at both ends but who knows.

The other line that bolts to the engine that is partially metal then is crimped to a rubber line that goes to the reservoir also has an in-line restrictor. That too was left off.

So once everything was installed and I flushed the system with premium BMW ATF the steering was heavier and there's a terrible loud noise that comes on once in a while on slow hard turns.

Do you think this is a restrictor issue? I had no noise prior to installing these new lines.

Thanks,
Gil
Ads by Google
Old 05-15-2012, 06:43 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Let's see you had no issues before you had the hoses done and now you do?
It is pretty obvious that that is the problem.
Remember one thing, BMW hoses last a long time, BMW crimp clamps don't. Good quality worn clamps can be placed over the German crimp clamps if they leak and you will not need to remove anything...
Old 05-16-2012, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: Company Car
well prior to replacing the lines the steering did seem a bit heavy and the fluid looked pretty tarnished. I just bought a replacement high pressure line from pelican parts and a new reservoir. I'll post up once everything is installed to let everyone know how it feels.

Thanks,
Gil
Old 06-15-2012, 08:16 AM
New to this board

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 325i
I am wondering when you had the hoses refurbed whether the diameters changed at all. A slightly different diameter or the absence of that restriction could change the amount of assist you feel from the power steering.

They put that power steering reservoir in such a PITA location. Mine is slightly leaking and I am wondering if there is a better location for the reservoir.