Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 05-25-2012, 11:36 PM
Vicariously13

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci
Talking Automatic Transmission Supercharger Issues?

So I'm thinking about buying a 97-99 M3 and I eventually want to supercharge it. I know Dinan makes a supercharger system for the automatic set up but I want to know if there are any transmission issues? I don't normally drive a manual but I am definitely keeping the idea of getting a manual open. I just know that for a while, this will be a daily driver prior to the supercharger installation and I would like to keep it simple/practical.

If anyone knows of automatic transmission issues with a supercharger set up, please let me know.

And any opinions on auto vs manual are also highly welcomed as I'm on the fence for both.

No real mods... just loads of maintenance

Last edited by vicariously13; 05-25-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 05-26-2012, 06:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 99 M3
Mine still retains the auto....wifey-poo requirement when I bought the car. She has long since decided she hates the thing which sort of gives me an open invitation to do as I please. Supercharged it a while ago and I can't say the auto is particularly happy with this. Notice some shifting issues under boost...lags when gear is manually selected. No real concerns since a later model 6 speed is in the works and the sooner the auto gives up and dies...the better. With that...my car has 84,000 miles on it and trannie never missed a bit...even when abused. Now with supercharger (installed a couple months ago), it's starting to act funny. Save yourself the grief and start off with a manual....much better choice.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Vicariously13

I'm pretty sure that was enough to push me to the manual side. How hard is it to get used to and master when you start driving a manual on a regular basis?

Old 05-27-2012, 01:28 AM

Mein Auto: 99 M3
Put someone who knows how in the passenger seat to teach you and you'll be reasonably comfortable with a manual in about 15/30 minutes. Within a few days it will be second nature. Getting maximum performance out of the manual can take much longer but it's an enjoyable learning curve.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 540i6
I started driving stick 5 months ago. I stalled out alot in the first hour after that little touch and go. 2 days later I was semipro haven't stalled out since. By the second week second nature. Now I don't even think about it.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:16 AM
Vicariously13

I like what I'm hearing. I used to drive a VW Rabbit and it was actually pretty sick after all my mods. I frequently used the 6 speed tiptronic so I know the concept of gear shifting, the clutch is what makes me most apprehensive, but I'm sure I shall overcome this hurdle.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
I can teach a monkey to drive stick in about 30 minutes. I taught my friend in 45 minutes...

As long as your brain and limbs are wired together, you should have no problem

Go for it!!! Once you learn and then become seasoned, it will be tough going back to automatic. I have the same problem as the poster above with wife requirements and it sucks lol.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:40 PM
Vicariously13

That's one thing I need to do... learn basic driving before I buy it. If anyone lives near Ontario and is willing to teach me a few things about driving stick, PM me and I'll appreciate it A LOT.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
I started teaching my 12 y/o son three weeks ago. He got it at the first try, maybe around 2-3 stall-outs the first 40 minutes. A good teacher makes a difference, and a lot of practice will put you there quick. It's like riding bicycle, once you know what you are doing it becomes second nature.
Get a manual, you won't regret it!