Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to usedbimmer
Mein Auto: 1997 540i
My ASC Light is on..

Got the car back from the shop after having the Water Pump, Thermostat replaced and the A/C Recharged. It is no coincidence that when I got the car the ASC light is on, stays on and the button does nothing to change that. I read where it's a throttle cable by the MAF.. I'm sure all that stuff had to be removed when they did the water pump. My problem is, I cannot find any one, good picture of the 540i ASC unit and cable on this forum to show me where to look. Lots of them come close.. If anyone can provide a link, I'd appreciate it.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 98 540 6sp, 87 Audi
Why don't you take it back to the shop, have them fix it, it seems like they did it. Now, the light is on, but does the ASC work?
Old 06-09-2012, 08:38 AM

No, the ASC does not work. Of course, I will take it back to the shop. My hope is that it is something simple and I can avoid having to go through the pain of car pooling etc.. and I'm not entirely confident this is not a coincidence. I don't want to get charged another repair bill.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:41 PM

ASC Problem Fixed: I'll post pictures and details later as I have time.

It turned out not to be that hard. I got lucky, thinking I'd clean my ICV just for fun - that's where I found the loose cable.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:03 PM

Solution when ASC Light Won't Turn Off

The ASC depends on the throttle control which opens and closes to modify power during slippage. There is a throttle cable that controls this. When the ASC is turned off, the throttle is 100% open whether the ASC button is depressed or not. My light came on because the mechanic who replaced my water pump and thermostat obviously jarred it when he removed the Air Filter, MAF and ICV. I had actually given up on fixing this because I was looking in the wrong place for the cable. Earlier today, I decided to open up my ICV to clean it and that is when I noticed the loose cable. See Pic Below:

Okay, so I found the loose cable. Where the heck does it go? I could see that the mechanic must have moved the cable over one of the water hoses because it didn't look right. From there I followed the cable housing to a slot just under the throttle body.

When I pushed in on the throttle flap I was able to see the bottom part of the assembly where something disc-shaped and black had a notch in it just the right size for the tiny, disc-shaped caliper on the throttle cable. I removed the throttle actuator (shown below), to give myself a little more play with the cable. The throttle has to be pushed all the way closed in order to give the cable enough play to fit. I reach under the black, disc-shaped holder on the bottom with my hand and was finally able to snap it in. When I released the flap, it sprang back into it's rightfully placed open position.

Final Note: I eagerly started the car. What the heck? The ASC light still was on and wouldn't go off. I turned off the engine. Shut the hood and tried it again. Voila. ASC Light was off. Turned on when I pushed it and turned back off when I pushed it again. It worked perfectly. Another Note; Cleaning the ICV made a huge difference with my idle when I'm at stop signs and lights. Much smoother. Car runs great again. No leaks and the AC works again!
Old 06-10-2012, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 98 540 6sp, 87 Audi
I'm glad it worked out with no additional headaches.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 540i 2003
Link to a pic and area?

Hi have a 2003 540 I
Seems like this might be the problem..
Is there a link to a file with a picture?

And where is ASC actuator, or the pump located?

Where is the relay for ASC?
And last. What is a ICU?

Sorry trying to figure this out.. Any info is very much appreciated
Old 06-07-2014, 03:11 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekat View Post
Hi have a 2003 540 I
Seems like this might be the problem..
Is there a link to a file with a picture?
More pictures of the electronic control of wheel speed is in this thread than you can soak up in a few hours!
- How to diagnose the BMW amber ABS BRAKE DSC/ASC trifecta or bifecta (1)

Quote:
And where is ASC actuator, or the pump located?
There are diagrams in that thread mentioned above, that will pinpoint all the parts for you (there are about 20 components you may need to know about).

Quote:
Where is the relay for ASC?
Why not type /relay f3 in the bestlinks?
This came up for me just now when I did that.
- One user's attempt at locating and snapping a picture of every single fuse & relay in the BMW E39 (1)

Quote:
And last. What is a ICU?
Type /acronym f3 in the bestlinks and this comes up:
- BMW E39 technoterms, acronyms, glossary, definitions slang, technical terms, abbreviations (1)

I think you may mean ICV?
If so, typing /icv f3 in the bestlinks nets this, among others:
- How to clean the idle control valve ICV in the E39 V8 (1) & I6 (1) (2) (3) (4)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 06-07-2014, 03:14 PM

oo boy ..
thanks ..ill check it out
Old 06-10-2014, 12:56 PM

sorry I cant see the diagrams in thread above ;(
is there a link i can click on? for those diagrams?
thanks