Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: X!
I have had my sDrive28i for 3 days now and I can report that I am glad I got servotronic. The steering is not overly loose at low speeds, it feels just right (better than the sdrive I test drove that did not have the servotronic option). At street and highway speeds, it tightens up nicely so it does not feel loose or jittery.

It is not so loose that you can "spin the wheel with just a flick of the thumb", an accusation I think I remember someone in another post I read somewhere making.

Unless you like tight steering at low speeds, I think servotronic (at least as I have it on the EPS) is a great way to go.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenq View Post
I have had my sDrive28i for 3 days now and I can report that I am glad I got servotronic. The steering is not overly loose at low speeds, it feels just right (better than the sdrive I test drove that did not have the servotronic option). At street and highway speeds, it tightens up nicely so it does not feel loose or jittery.

It is not so loose that you can "spin the wheel with just a flick of the thumb", an accusation I think I remember someone in another post I read somewhere making.

Unless you like tight steering at low speeds, I think servotronic (at least as I have it on the EPS) is a great way to go.
At speed, how does the steering weight compare to the non-servo sDrive you test drove?
Old 05-31-2013, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: xDrive28i
FWIW, I just spent my lunch hour(s) test driving the sDrive28i with and without Servotronic. I had previously driven an xDrive28i and liked the feel, but don't know if it's worth the cost just for the steering (from my perspective in Houston). I drive a Lexus IS250 now for reference.

The EPS with Servotronic tightens up significantly above about 40 mph and is a no brainer if you're going RWD. Very stable and more enjoyable at 60-70 mph; nice on-center feel. I can't compare it to other 2013 EPS systems, but it does feel better than my 7 YO Lexus.

I can understand not wanting it with hydraulic PS but I'm not sure why BMW even made it an option with EPS.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: X!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
At speed, how does the steering weight compare to the non-servo sDrive you test drove?
I'd say at speed there is no difference. The Assist is decreased as the speed is increase. There seems little if any assist left at city street speeds. At highway, definitely as firm as the non-servotronic. It mostly helps at parking and turning at slow speeds.