Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-09-2012, 07:03 AM
Deutsch100 Deutsch100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 631
Mein Auto: 2012 Active Hybrid 7
Auto Hold question

Hey there!

I have an Auto Hold question. I know how it works (I read the manual, yes!! ) and I've tried the feature on my new 2012, my 2010 750i and my 2011 X5 35d.

When using the Auto Hold at red lights & when stopped, do the rear brake lights illuminate, so other cars will know I am stopped? Or does the Auto Hold simply hold the car, with no brake lights? Thanks a lot!
__________________
2013 Rolls Royce Phantom Sedan,
2013 Phantom Aviator Coupe, 2013 G63 AMG
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 06-09-2012, 09:17 AM
oneofew oneofew is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SHERMAN OAKS, CA USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 100
Mein Auto: 2011 B7 Alpina
Yes, on our cars the brake lights work when the A/H is active.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-09-2012, 09:18 AM
gassy gassy is offline
BMW 7 Series Obsessed
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 315
Mein Auto: 2011 750i Milano Beige
Perhaps this is why we are falling so far behind in the scientific disciplines in this country.

Allow me to suggest an experiment. Method: 1. Engage AutoHold, 2. While car is stopped get out and observe brake lights. Report your findings here- I'm sure we're all eagerly awaiting your breakthrough discovery.
__________________
2011 750i/ Milano Beige/ Saddle & Black Nappa/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Deutsch100 Deutsch100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 631
Mein Auto: 2012 Active Hybrid 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gassy View Post
Perhaps this is why we are falling so far behind in the scientific disciplines in this country.

Allow me to suggest an experiment. Method: 1. Engage AutoHold, 2. While car is stopped get out and observe brake lights. Report your findings here- I'm sure we're all eagerly awaiting your breakthrough discovery.
Wow...did I do something to piss you off, get off on the wrong side of the bed?? Sorry, my post annoyed you. Like my Mom taught me, if you don't have anything nice to say......

I've tried what you so kindly suggested , but when I get out of my new 2012 Hybrid, whether the key is left in the car, or the key is in my hand or pocket...THE CAR SHUTS OFF TOTALLY! So, while I am disciplined in my sciences...I cannot do as you suggest!!!!
__________________
2013 Rolls Royce Phantom Sedan,
2013 Phantom Aviator Coupe, 2013 G63 AMG
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Individual750LI's Avatar
Individual750LI Individual750LI is offline
BMW rocks!
Location: Las Vegas
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 513
Mein Auto: 2013 750I M
My regular 7 doesn't shut off, must be the stop start thing.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-09-2012, 12:21 PM
gassy gassy is offline
BMW 7 Series Obsessed
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 315
Mein Auto: 2011 750i Milano Beige
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsch100 View Post
Wow...did I do something to piss you off, get off on the wrong side of the bed?? Sorry, my post annoyed you. Like my Mom taught me, if you don't have anything nice to say......

I've tried what you so kindly suggested , but when I get out of my new 2012 Hybrid, whether the key is left in the car, or the key is in my hand or pocket...THE CAR SHUTS OFF TOTALLY! So, while I am disciplined in my sciences...I cannot do as you suggest!!!!
Deutsch, I know that Gov. Moonbeam outlawed irony and sarcasm for all Californians, but it was a tongue-in-cheek gentle ribbing I was offering. No offense intended. Sarcasm is still legal in the East! And since your vehicle won't allow you to exit with engine running, you get the last laugh!
__________________
2011 750i/ Milano Beige/ Saddle & Black Nappa/
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Deutsch100 Deutsch100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 631
Mein Auto: 2012 Active Hybrid 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gassy View Post
Deutsch, I know that Gov. Moonbeam outlawed irony and sarcasm for all Californians, but it was a tongue-in-cheek gentle ribbing I was offering. No offense intended. Sarcasm is still legal in the East! And since your vehicle won't allow you to exit with engine running, you get the last laugh!
Touche gassy!! It's all good!

I called the dealership!! Figured it out. I was trying the Auto Hold, while the car was in Drive (D), and getting out of the car. For safety reasons (and my stupidity the car shuts itself down!

If I put the car in Park (P), and leave the key in the car (cupholder for example)...I can leave the car running. Now my passengers can stay in the air conditioned car, while I run into the store, or stop by the ATM!! Problem solved!!
__________________
2013 Rolls Royce Phantom Sedan,
2013 Phantom Aviator Coupe, 2013 G63 AMG
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-09-2012, 05:31 PM
chrischeung chrischeung is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 7,277
Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsch100 View Post
If I put the car in Park (P), and leave the key in the car (cupholder for example)...I can leave the car running. Now my passengers can stay in the air conditioned car, while I run into the store, or stop by the ATM!! Problem solved!!
You can actually do this after turning the car fully off as well. Just touch the fan button. It still works after the car is locked. So you don't have to come back to a hot car. I think it runs for around 15 minutes depending on the charge level of your battery. One of the car's best features (I'm in TX). And no, it won't work in non-hybrids.
__________________
2012 ActiveHybrid 750i ED

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Deutsch100 Deutsch100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 631
Mein Auto: 2012 Active Hybrid 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischeung View Post
You can actually do this after turning the car fully off as well. Just touch the fan button. It still works after the car is locked. So you don't have to come back to a hot car. I think it runs for around 15 minutes depending on the charge level of your battery. One of the car's best features (I'm in TX). And no, it won't work in non-hybrids.
WOW...Now that is cool. I live in the San Fernando Valley part of Los Angeles...so our summers are basically Texas. July-Oct, most days are 90-105F I will for sure, for sure be loving this feature. THANK YOU for the tip. I feel like I am re-learning BMW, and this is my
10th new BMW since 2004.
__________________
2013 Rolls Royce Phantom Sedan,
2013 Phantom Aviator Coupe, 2013 G63 AMG
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-10-2012, 04:49 AM
LIRacer LIRacer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island, NY
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 271
Mein Auto: 2012 Alpina B7 (ordered)
Here is a follow-on question from the sarcastic East: when the active cruise control is on, does the brake lights come on when the cruise control is braking?
__________________
Bruce
2012 Alpina B7 Silver
2010 Roush Mustang (627 RWHP)
1965 Vette (ZZ502)
2005 Ford Racing Mustang in SCCA T-2
SCCA National Driver

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-10-2012, 06:46 AM
gassy gassy is offline
BMW 7 Series Obsessed
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 315
Mein Auto: 2011 750i Milano Beige
LIRacer, with the supposition being that being from NY, you are undoubtedly a Yankees fan, and myself being from that more northern bastion of civilization wherefrom this nation was founded, I am a Red Sox fan, allow me to suggest an experiement for YOU: while you are on the highway with active cruise engaged, crawl out and peek over the trunk to see... naw, just kidding, bro!
__________________
2011 750i/ Milano Beige/ Saddle & Black Nappa/
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-10-2012, 05:44 PM
LIRacer LIRacer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island, NY
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 271
Mein Auto: 2012 Alpina B7 (ordered)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassy View Post
LIRacer, with the supposition being that being from NY, you are undoubtedly a Yankees fan, and myself being from that more northern bastion of civilization wherefrom this nation was founded, I am a Red Sox fan, allow me to suggest an experiement for YOU: while you are on the highway with active cruise engaged, crawl out and peek over the trunk to see... naw, just kidding, bro!
You're from Philly and a Red Sox fan? I was thinking of doing just that, but can't get a long enough straight to be able to get to the rear and back before a turn.
__________________
Bruce
2012 Alpina B7 Silver
2010 Roush Mustang (627 RWHP)
1965 Vette (ZZ502)
2005 Ford Racing Mustang in SCCA T-2
SCCA National Driver

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-11-2012, 07:01 AM
Deutsch100 Deutsch100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 631
Mein Auto: 2012 Active Hybrid 7
Chrischeung....THANK YOU for the battery run HVAC tip :)

OK..*****, the best feature that I did not know about. So thank you Chrischeung!!

Yesterday, my car was parked for hours & hours in the 95F garage. I just clicked the little diamond button on the keyfob, and the battery turned on & activated the air conditioning. I went about getting my shoes on in the house, getting a water bottle, hitting the bathroom real quick, finding my wallet & cell phone, etc, etc...And BAM!! When I got in the car, it was nice and cool. What an awesome treat.

When I parked, to run in and pick up our Mexican food for dinner, I turned my car off...and then touched the fan button on the climate control, before exiting & locking the car. The climate turned on, and when I got back in the car.....BAM!! Perfectly chilled interior.

I cannot even express how much this will be used, in our brutal July-Oct summers, where most days are 100+. Awesome, amazing & brilliant feature. Thank you BMW & Chrischeung!!
__________________
2013 Rolls Royce Phantom Sedan,
2013 Phantom Aviator Coupe, 2013 G63 AMG
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Individual750LI's Avatar
Individual750LI Individual750LI is offline
BMW rocks!
Location: Las Vegas
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 513
Mein Auto: 2013 750I M
Now I am jealous, I really need that in Las Vegas heat!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-11-2012, 12:17 PM
BaranE BaranE is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Turkey
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 330
Mein Auto: '10 740Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRacer View Post
Here is a follow-on question from the sarcastic East: when the active cruise control is on, does the brake lights come on when the cruise control is braking?
i had a friend tail me and he confirms that brakes light up though she said they only light up softly as opposed to when you're actually braking.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms