Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 06-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Turbos!!!!!!

Mein Auto: 535xi
535xi Oil Cooler Gasket replacement

Posted in the regular DIY forum for the 1s and 3s.

Maybe this will help someone out. Fix is cheap and easy. $16 for a new gasket. Maybe an hour worth of work.

Had a leak on my oil cooler on my 08 535xi and it was getting annoying. Finally after another issue with an oil leak (another story, my own fault), I decided to fix this one.

Parts Needed:
#11427525335 (Oil Cooler to oil filter housing gasket, my dealer charged me $18 with tax)

Tools needed:
6mm allen wrench
Torx T27
Inverted Torx socket. (I used a 3/8" any socket)
3/8" drive ratchet for Sockets

Optional, but recommended:
Intake Cleaner
Shop Rags
Knife/awl

Remove the Radiator Support cover using the T27, set it to the side. No need to disconnect the hood latches. (10 bolts)

Using 6mm Allen wrench, remove bolt holding the bracket for the oil return and supply lines to the cooler housing. This is the most difficult bolt to remove, as with the fan still in it is difficult to get the allen wrench to turn correctly.

Now using the inverted Torx, remove the 3 bolts holding the housing on. the 3rd is in the center of the housing on the bottom, this is the reason we removed cooler lines previously.

Remove the housing and look for any mars or reasons it may not seal, good time to clean the housing as well.

Remove the old rubber gasket. Use a hook, awle, or knife to get the old gasket out.
Replace with new gasket. DO NOT USE RTV SILICONE

Reverse the order to install everything back.

Tighten it all down, then turn your engine on and check for leaks. I use thread locker on all my bolts, this is a personal preference though.
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2014, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
Very Helpful

Thanks for this step by step guide.. I am probably gonna do it myself.

Can you tell me what problems you had with the oil cooler gasket? I am having some oil droplets in my coolant and I am guessing its the oil cooler gasket.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto:
Thanks a lot, I just did mine, very helpful.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-24-2014, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Thanks. Just found this, and I think I need to do this on my 335. I'm hoping this is the gasket I need to replace, and not the housing gasket. I have a small puddle of oil sitting right behind the cooler, in the little pool next to the filter cap. The only way I can see oil getting there is from this gasket.