Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 07-05-2012, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
Problem after recall as well

The day after I had the battery cover recall done by the dealer I also started having a "battery discharge" problem and the time and date having to be reset as well. The car would start a little sluggishly also. Additionally I get a "servetronic malfunction" as well that clears up after the car has been driven for a while and then restarted (but happens again after sitting for a while).

I took it to the dealer today and just got a call and was told that it's a coincidence and the problem is due to the battery getting old (its the original battery) and it needs to be replaced - that there is no correlation; all they did was "replace a cover" and in effect did not touch the electrical system.

While I figured that a "coincidence" was possible, I felt that it was more probable that they were related. So I went online - I wasn't a member of this forum until 10 minutes ago - and after searching for a while I found this thread.

I find it interesting that the majority of the problems listed here by people started happening shortly after the work was done - there was no lag of a few days or more. And, there were no indications of the problem prior to the recall work being done.

A few people with problems after the recall does may not make for a convincing "quorum" to those who would dispute the relationship. But commom sense tells me that in this case "where there is smoke there is fire" (no pun intended ie. recall).

It took me some searching to find this thread and the only record online of complaints so far. Not sure if most people would have the same tenacity. And of course some people just figure the dealer must know what they are talking about at all times and just pay and move on. But hopefully, if others do experience problems after the recall they will find this thread and continue to add to the evidence that it is more than a "coincidence."
Old 07-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 525i 2005
I'm happy to know What I'm not the only one with this issue. I still do not have the time to go to the dealers. But mowing them, They will probably charge me a lot of money to fix this.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
Old 07-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
This recall is a new plastic cover and putting some grease on a connection - thats it.

Not saying there is no connection but you have to agree why a dealer would say that of all the recalls they did in their shop yours is the only one with another problem shortly after the work.

A few wild guesses aggregated from the entire Internet hardly makes a strong statement in this case especially when there is no reason why greasing a connection should have any unexpected consequences.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
This recall is a new plastic cover and putting some grease on a connection - thats it.

Not saying there is no connection but you have to agree why a dealer would say that of all the recalls they did in their shop yours is the only one with another problem shortly after the work.

A few wild guesses aggregated from the entire Internet hardly makes a strong statement in this case especially when there is no reason why greasing a connection should have any unexpected consequences.
I agree, there needs to be evidence of alot more people with this same/similar problem to be able to make a plausible connection between the two events.

Howver it could potentially be more than putting on a new plastic cover and some grease. I quote news releases on this subject:

"The insulated bulkhead connector for the positive battery cable may have been incorrectly attached to the trunk floor panel, which can lead to a loosening of the bolt connection. As it loosens, an increase in electrical resistance at this cable connection is possible and could cause the cable connection to overheat... Bmw will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and secure the battery bolt cable connection as necessary, free of charge. "

So it is possible that while not getting to the point of a fire, that a "loosening of the bolt connection" could occur. When I asked the BMW service manager if had been noted during the repair whether this bolt had become at all "loose" he did not acknowledge it one way or another, only repeating that the "cover was replaced."

You would think that if the potentially dangerous conseqence of the cover being improperly installed was a loosening of this bolt which then in turn caused increased electrical resistance, as part of the recall procedure it would be important to inspect this bolt and note in the service records whether it was in fact loose or not!

However, if I was cynical and skeptical, which of course I am not, I might think that they would not create any written records of this bolt being loose, because it might increase any potential liablilities they may have. So they just fix it, replace the cover and move on.

But of course BMW wouldn't do that accept that - they are just too honorable as most corporations are - except they just finished paying a 3 million dollar fine related to their recall practices:

"BMW is handing over $3 million in fines to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration over the way it has handled recalls. NHTSA began an investigation of BMW's practices in 2010, looking at 16 recalls that covered more than 300,000 of the company's cars and motorcycles going back in some cases to 2002. In levying the fine, NHTSA found that "BMW appears to maintain a practice, by design or habit, in which it provides little information in its initial (recall) filings."

Go figure.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Titanium Grey 550i
I think the issue is that the cars (at least my car), doesnt like any unnecessary power drainage, i.e. leaving the doors/trunk open for long periods of time, running the radio without the car being on, etc. If I do any of these things, I will see a "High discharge" error on the dash. Once I start the car, everything goes back to normal. The error disappears as well. I think that when they do the battery cable recall, they leave something running for a period of time which drains the battery. Since I'm sure they dont think to recharge the battery or maintain the charge while performing the recall, that our batteries are not fully charged when we get them back, hence the error. Our cars electrical systems are very greedy. Some people here even maintain theirs on battery tenders when not in service. So far, I have only had to charge mine to 100% once but I have seen the "High Discharge" error when ever I'm running power with the engine off. Just my $.02. Charge the battery to 100% and go from there.

2006 550i Titanium Gray, Sports Package, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Navigation, Logic 7, Sirius, M-Tech Kit, PDC
Old 07-06-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550iMarine View Post
I think the issue is that the cars (at least my car), doesnt like any unnecessary power drainage, i.e. leaving the doors/trunk open for long periods of time, running the radio without the car being on, etc. If I do any of these things, I will see a "High discharge" error on the dash. Once I start the car, everything goes back to normal. The error disappears as well.
That sounds plausible/reasonable to me. Looking at the other posts on this thread, one persons problem was solved by charging the battery fully for several hours. And since this happened to me a week ago, I haven't driven more than 30 minutes, so perhaps it hasn't been able to charge enough.

Because of what I read here, yesterday afternoon I asked the service manager at the local BMW dealer if they would charge the battery overnight and if it was still draining quickly and showing a "discharge" issue I would replace the battery.

Once I pick up the car and let it sit for a bit, I will post an update as to whether this solved the problem or I ended up having to replace the battery.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 535i, Sport
I am having this done today on a my 09 535i as part of an annual service. No issues whatsoever prior to dropping off the car. Car is 2 years 10 months in service, 22,500 miles. Lets see what happens.
2006 Honda Accord EX-L
Retired fleet:
2013 Auid A5 Cabrio 2.0T (troubles, troubles)
2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8 (My snow tires)
2007 530xi
2004 Jaguar XJ8
2006 Saab 93 2.0T unfixable glitches, bye bye
1999 BMW 528i Touring
Old 07-07-2012, 08:52 AM
CARPE DIEM

Send a message via AIM to 300zxmuro Send a message via MSN to 300zxmuro Send a message via Yahoo to 300zxmuro
Mein Auto: 2008 535i
I am not taking my car to the dealer to perform the recall. I am afraid now.

2008 535i Black Sapphire, Black Dakota Leather, Blue-tooth, Nav, iDrive, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, SIRIUS, Comfort Access, Comfort Seats, Parking Sensors, Xenon, Paddles, Sport Suspension, Lane Departure Warning, Rear Power Shade, etc.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X5d & '07 328xi wagon
I've been through 2 or 3 batteries, and 3 or 4 alternators, before this recall. What I did find is by replacing the charge circuit relay fixed my electrical problems, before the recall.

I would put the car an a charge to top off the battery, and change the charge circuit relay after having the recall performed. Also check the trunk for water!!!

The trunk seal and tail light seals have caused leaks before. Low voltage and water problems are the main cause of e60 electrical issues
GOOD LUCK
Old 07-07-2012, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: E64 650I CAB
Hi all

This could be the reason why my sat nav, PDC are not working!!!! I needed a filter change and took my car to my local BMW Stealer. They told me about the recall and i told them to go ahead. Right i drive my car about 1 to 2 times per week and have done so for a year, Now is this a "coincidence" My Sat Nav screen is blank and when starting the car the SOS sign comes on, as well as the triangle with ! and a service light and sometimes the discharge battery.....Not a happy guy!!!!

This is bad news! Do think I should mention this to BMW to Fix the problem?
Old 07-07-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glemedia View Post
That sounds plausible/reasonable to me. Looking at the other posts on this thread, one persons problem was solved by charging the battery fully for several hours. And since this happened to me a week ago, I haven't driven more than 30 minutes, so perhaps it hasn't been able to charge enough.

Because of what I read here, yesterday afternoon I asked the service manager at the local BMW dealer if they would charge the battery overnight and if it was still draining quickly and showing a "discharge" issue I would replace the battery.

Once I pick up the car and let it sit for a bit, I will post an update as to whether this solved the problem or I ended up having to replace the battery.
I posted the above a couple of days ago. As I said above, bmw charged the battery overnight for me. I picked up the car and let it sit for about 30 hours. Then started the car and... no problems!

The previous week if it sat overnight, it would say "battery discharge," start sluggishly, I would have to reset the clock, and I would get a "servetronic" error.

Apparently whatever they did for the recall caused the battery to drain signficantly and because I work from home and don't normally drive more than a half hour or so at a time, the battery never got a chance to recharge.

It would be interesting to know what they do that causes the battery power to drain so significantly, but the good new is that I won't have to spend $500 for a new battery plus installation (which of course was what the service manager said was the only solution). At least not yet!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:14 PM
CARPE DIEM

Send a message via AIM to 300zxmuro Send a message via MSN to 300zxmuro Send a message via Yahoo to 300zxmuro
Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by glemedia View Post
I posted the above a couple of days ago. As I said above, bmw charged the battery overnight for me. I picked up the car and let it sit for about 30 hours. Then started the car and... no problems!

The previous week if it sat overnight, it would say "battery discharge," start sluggishly, I would have to reset the clock, and I would get a "servetronic" error.

Apparently whatever they did for the recall caused the battery to drain signficantly and because I work from home and don't normally drive more than a half hour or so at a time, the battery never got a chance to recharge.

It would be interesting to know what they do that causes the battery power to drain so significantly, but the good new is that I won't have to spend $500 for a new battery plus installation (which of course was what the service manager said was the only solution). At least not yet!
WTF with this! I cannot believe all this could happen after putting some sort of grease on top on one end of the battery. Does not make any sense to me. AGAIN, I won't take the car to the dealer. Sorry for you guys! Hope all will be fixed.

2008 535i Black Sapphire, Black Dakota Leather, Blue-tooth, Nav, iDrive, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, SIRIUS, Comfort Access, Comfort Seats, Parking Sensors, Xenon, Paddles, Sport Suspension, Lane Departure Warning, Rear Power Shade, etc.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: ford 150
just took in my '08 535i because of the recall and i was losing the time setting. service consultant advises me I probably need a new battery ($950) plus some diagnosis time.

a year ago, january, while under warranty, similar problem, they said i have a short distance driving pattern, so the battery won't get fully charged (my work commute is about 10 minutes in the city, plus some in-town driving during the day, usually) they charged the battery, updated the firmware, god knows what, and it worked. I had been using the seat warmer, steering wheel heater (winter) and decided not to, problem went away. Until this month (now I'm using the AC, probably increased electrical load)

so:

is this car charging system underdesigned, to where the battery will drain off if you drive around town? never had that problem in 45 years of driving
is $950 exorbitant for a battery replacment, and is 50k miles a typical battery lifetime?
what is the big deal with "progamming" the battery? last time it took them 4 days because their computer link was faulty?

jm
Old 07-11-2012, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm View Post
just took in my '08 535i because of the recall and i was losing the time setting. service consultant advises me I probably need a new battery ($950) plus some diagnosis time.

a year ago, january, while under warranty, similar problem, they said i have a short distance driving pattern, so the battery won't get fully charged (my work commute is about 10 minutes in the city, plus some in-town driving during the day, usually) they charged the battery, updated the firmware, god knows what, and it worked. I had been using the seat warmer, steering wheel heater (winter) and decided not to, problem went away. Until this month (now I'm using the AC, probably increased electrical load)

so:

is this car charging system underdesigned, to where the battery will drain off if you drive around town? never had that problem in 45 years of driving
is $950 exorbitant for a battery replacment, and is 50k miles a typical battery lifetime?
what is the big deal with "progamming" the battery? last time it took them 4 days because their computer link was faulty?

jm
$950 is highway robbery.

switching to AGM batt at dealer is $575 (batt around $375 plus 1 to 1.5hr labor to change the profile to AGM batt).
Sometime BMWNA need to come down on dealers like this, I know they are in business to make money but this is robbing people blind and turn good people away from the brand, STUPID long term business model.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i/2007 328i Coupe
Quote:
is this car charging system underdesigned, to where the battery will drain off if you drive around town?
Yes it is. The battery charging system in these cars is a ridiculous design intended to increase fuel mileage by an infinitesimal amount.

Quote:
is $950 exorbitant for a battery replacment,
That's about TWICE what you should be paying for a new battery with programming. You are being ripped off big time.

Quote:
what is the big deal with "progamm'ing" the battery? last time it took them 4 days because their computer link was faulty?
The "big deal" is that the new battery won't charge correctly unless it is registered in the car's software as being a new battery.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: 09 535i xDrive
I recently (June) had my battery replaced at BMW dealer and the battery was $279 and programming was $129 which I thought was reasonable.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
Charging this much for this and other work these dealers do.....is robbery.The only difference between them and a thug is they don't threaten you with violence.I don't see how some of these service managers can live with themselves.What a sh1t world sometimes.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:41 PM

Had the recall work performed on mine over the weekend. No issues to report.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 535 2008
Just to pile on

I've been nursing the original battery along for about a year (battery tender every weekend), after taking it to the dealer and complaining about the excessive discharge messages, the reset clock, the no more accessory mode when I shut off the car. They were able to pull a report from the car that showed my last 100 trips, and something like 90% were under 10 miles. They said i dont drive enough to keep the battery charged. So yeah, the alternator setup in the e60s stink.

Moving along, my battery finally had enough after 52K miles and almost 5 years, and wouldn't hold enough of a charge to start the car anymore (and at that point, it was on nightly battery tender maint). Had a new battery installed and programmed at the dealership (~$500 total), and they did the battery cover recall as well. That was a month ago, no issues to report so far.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Received the battery cable recall notification. Before I was able to take it in, a Passenger restraint/air bag warning appeared on the Navi screen. Searching the forums I found that BMW has had a problem with this sensor and a NHTSA investigation was done. BMW extended the warranty on this item to 10 years, unlimited mileage. Armed with this knowledge, I thought great, I'll take it in for the cable recall and have them replace this sensor under the extended warranty period. Dealer said the error code may not be from the sensor. Would need to do a diagnostic to determine first. If not the sensor, then the cost of the diagnostic would be $165. Dealer called and said it wasn't the sensor. Said the battery was not providing enough voltage (?). Also said that the OEM battery in this car is no longer made. The replacement battery has a different voltage or charge range and that the car would have to be reprogrammed to the new battery or it could cause damage. The cost for that, including a new battery, is $700. He also said that they had a fault code for the alternator, but wasn't sure if the fault code was caused by the battery issue. If it is the alternator, then it would be another $1300 to replace alternator. He said something about the alternator being water cooled. Never heard of that. Anyways, none of this could be done that day so I took the car home. Funny thing was that although he said that the sensor and battery was not replaced, the passenger restraint warnings no longer appear. Perhaps it was all related to the battery cable. Don't know.

Does anyone know where the sensor is located. He mentioned that the passenger seat would have to be removed and the leather covering taken off to get to this sensor.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i/2007 328i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by okii View Post
Dealer said the error code may not be from the sensor. Would need to do a diagnostic to determine first. If not the sensor, then the cost of the diagnostic would be $165. Dealer called and said it wasn't the sensor. Said the battery was not providing enough voltage (?). Also said that the OEM battery in this car is no longer made. The replacement battery has a different voltage or charge range and that the car would have to be reprogrammed to the new battery or it could cause damage. The cost for that, including a new battery, is $700. He also said that they had a fault code for the alternator, but wasn't sure if the fault code was caused by the battery issue. If it is the alternator, then it would be another $1300 to replace alternator. He said something about the alternator being water cooled.
Did this dealer also tell you the directional fluid in the turn signal actuator needed to be replaced too?
Old 07-13-2012, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
All I could do was just smile at the rep and let him talk.

But it does sound like if you replace the battery, you do have to reprogram the car. Y so complicated??

Those of you that have had to change out the OEM battery, is it true that you cannot get an OEM replacement any longer for a 2005 530i?
Old 07-15-2012, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: ford 150
bit the bullet at manhattan BMW: my car is the 2008 531i, 52K miles

made an appointment five days in advance for 9:30 am Wednesday; dropped the car off at 7am wednesday.

took them until Friday at 2pm
recall on battery terminal: N/C (as per bulletin)
labor: $577 (battery replacement: $247, programming $330)
parts $269 (Exide)
tax $75

Last edited by jlm; 07-15-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
To follow up on my "after recall" service, I have a BST fault. I could have figured
this out myself, but because they did "something" with the battery I figured this is a related
issue. Turns out it wasn't (duh). SA showed me the TIS for the recall which just basically repositions the ground under the carpet or something like that which NoQuarter said earlier in this post.
The battery or it's components we're not even touched. They wanted $970 to replace the BST. I said no I'll do it myself and then reset the restraint system with my BT tool for the cost of the part only. It's just interesting to me that after 111k miles with NO problems, they did a recall with the battery and then there's a battery issue now they say it wasn't them. It may not have been them, but as the saying goes if it looks acts and quacks like a duck then...
Old 07-16-2012, 01:19 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Good to hear all this stuff. Having had a few Beemers, it's surprising just how many issues seem to be a result of a battery problem. I just had the recall for the battery problem attended to and did get a warning of engine problems and to drive slowly to the dealers. The engine was running rough and sounded like it was on about 5 or 6 cylinders.. I turned the car off and left it for a couple of minutes before starting it again and sure enough everything was fine. My own mechanic thinks my battery could well be the original from 2004 sounds too long for a battery to last I know but I had a 330 battery, that lasted about the same length of time, before giving problems, the radio only coming on after every second start of the engine. Weird eh!~. Anyway not being very knowledgeable on the electric side of things. Is it possible to have the battery checked instead of just replacing it.