Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 07-16-2012, 11:52 PM

Mein Auto: 525i 2006
I to have had this recall it been a week so far so good 2006 525i
Old 07-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60 530i
A post like this makes me not want to get the recall taken care of on my car. But then again, do i want my car to catch on fire ?? LOL. No but seriously, i feel like my car has been fine all these years, and I feel like the day i decide to take it in and get the recall taken care of, is the day I will start to have all these problems. Am I the only one that feels this way ?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
A day or two after my recall work was done (07 550i) I received the SOS malfunction on my iDrive. Only happened one time and that was two weeks ago. So far so good. No other errors.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
TPMS not reading after battery cable recall was fixed. Anyone else had this problem??

After taking car in for recall involving cable on battery, the tire pressure warning light has stayed on. When diagnosed it looks like system is not working at all. Was told it had been wet?? They would have to replace rdc module and some cables.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
It's now been about 3 weeks since recall and except for one false alarm regarding engine warning light, the car is its normal perfect self. Let's not get carried away with all these tiny little things. The 5 series is a great car, especially the 545i. If you think that maybe it isn't then try driving something else for a while and it will soon bring you back to reality.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Thanks Brian,

It is a wonderful car. I too had the engine light come on. It showed the car up on a rack picture and said, "electronic system failure. Do not drive vehicle. Go immediately to your BMW dealer." I took it in and those lights were reset but the tire pressure warning light has stayed on. Their computer gets no reading; it's as if it isn't there. I know that no water has been in my trunk, as in a cooler or wet objects as they suggested. I looked in the well under the tire after they told me that and I don't know how they determined it had been wet. No visible moisture. I asked them if the trunk seal could have a leak and they said 99% of the time they replace these modules and there was no leak in trunk. Hmm, I wonder if I pay $1200 to replace the module and then it turns out trunk does leak when going thru carwash, heavy rain, etc, if they will then replace it again and give me my money back. From our experience over the years, sadly, that has not been the case with this service department. I just wondered if it could be related to that work on the cable since we never had any electrical problem until immediately after that recall was done. BTW there was another car there at the same time with exact same diagnosis. RDC module had gotten wet...Appreciate your thoughts.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:32 PM

BMW 5 Series E60 Battery Cable Recall How to DIY: BMTroubleU
Old 07-20-2012, 09:22 PM

I think I'd be reluctant to pay out $1200 for a new module without at least getting a second opinion from someone you trust. I'm lucky that I do have a very good, reliable and knowledgeable mechanic who has all the diagnostic equipment. It's surprising how many times things that are going to costs hundreds or even thousands of dollars at the dealers can be fixed by someone who knows what they're doing for a fraction of the cost. And I still think that so many problems are battery related. Only 2 days ago driving to Sydney the radio refused to change stations even though there were many within range. Driving back from Sydney not a problem. Also I currently have a restraint warning light relating to the sensor under the passenger seat. Two things about it. One I'm not 100% sure it isn't related to the battery and 2 the dealers quoted $900+ for parts plus labour to replace. My mechanic can bypass the sensor (meaning the airbag for that side will inflate regardless of whether there is anyone occupying the seat or not) for $45 for parts plus labour at about half the dealer's rate. Well best of luck and try to find yourself a reliable knowledgeable mechanic with all the necessary gear.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:57 AM
CARPE DIEM

Send a message via AIM to 300zxmuro Send a message via MSN to 300zxmuro Send a message via Yahoo to 300zxmuro
Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by micosan View Post
BMW 5 Series E60 Battery Cable Recall How to DIY: BMTroubleU
After watchng this video i do not understand how this could screw up other things in the car

2008 535i Black Sapphire, Black Dakota Leather, Blue-tooth, Nav, iDrive, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, SIRIUS, Comfort Access, Comfort Seats, Parking Sensors, Xenon, Paddles, Sport Suspension, Lane Departure Warning, Rear Power Shade, etc.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: ford 150
my update: have had the car back for a week after the battery replacement and recall, has worked fine, EXCEPT today, the radio sound went out, radio control panel, nave etc. stay on. Also could not make a phone call, though my phone is linked and the addresses are loaded. stopped at a deli, and found that the panel would not shut off by pressing the start button after the engine has been stopped. it does go off after a few minutes. Typically, i stop the engine by pressing the start button, then press it a second time to turn off the accessories: the dash indicators go out and the radio/nave panels goes out; now the radio/nave panel stay lit. after the deli stop, started car, radioe came on for 2 seconds, sound went dead.

so i will have to go back to the dealer, drop off the car and be without it for another 2-3 days, plus the pia of getting back and forth to the dealer from brooklyn to upper west side of manhattan

sh%$%^%$t

so after sitting in the sun for a few hours, everything is back to normal! and can avoid the stealer this time

Last edited by jlm; 07-21-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:55 PM

Mein Auto: 95 993, 03 subbie 08 535x
Battery Cable

I just had the tow truck drop my car off at the mechanic. It has been going through many of the issues that have been posted (tire pressure monitor not working, transmission malfunction, engine light comes on, etc..) in addition to shutting down at the stop light and shifting into neutral. I changed my commute about a year ago from 6 miles to 1 mile. My mechanic (whom I trust) replaced the original battery (car was bought in 7/07) at 50k 4 months ago to an AGM. The car has recently been stalling when stopped at a light or when coming up to a light (or traffic). I was scheduled to take it in on Wednesday but tonight it shut down while coming to a stop light on an incline at a busy intersection. The car would not start, after trying for ten minutes I called for a tow truck and several minutes after I got off the phone with the tow company it started up. Nonetheless, I still had it towed to the mechanic.
I actually had these issues (battery drain, transmission malfunction) before the cable change so I don't think it is the culprit. That said, I left a bike water bottle in the back trunk and it leaked about half a bottle. I opened up the trunk/wheel well and found some moisture about 2 weeks later. There was enough to require about several paper towels to wipe the well dry. The modules were dry but this was about 2 weeks later (..I think) after the incident. Could this be enough to throw the electrical system into disorder? How much should I expect to pay for the two modules (?) in the wheel well if indeed this is this issue?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:06 PM

This story seems to go from bad to worse. Does anybody know if it's safer to buy an E500 Merc? And what's the thing with water in the wheel well? As far as I can see there aren't any electrics in there. Perhaps the Australian version is a bit different.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stcalhou View Post
I just had the tow truck drop my car off at the mechanic. It has been going through many of the issues that have been posted (tire pressure monitor not working, transmission malfunction, engine light comes on, etc..) in addition to shutting down at the stop light and shifting into neutral. I changed my commute about a year ago from 6 miles to 1 mile. My mechanic (whom I trust) replaced the original battery (car was bought in 7/07) at 50k 4 months ago to an AGM. The car has recently been stalling when stopped at a light or when coming up to a light (or traffic). I was scheduled to take it in on Wednesday but tonight it shut down while coming to a stop light on an incline at a busy intersection. The car would not start, after trying for ten minutes I called for a tow truck and several minutes after I got off the phone with the tow company it started up. Nonetheless, I still had it towed to the mechanic.
I actually had these issues (battery drain, transmission malfunction) before the cable change so I don't think it is the culprit. That said, I left a bike water bottle in the back trunk and it leaked about half a bottle. I opened up the trunk/wheel well and found some moisture about 2 weeks later. There was enough to require about several paper towels to wipe the well dry. The modules were dry but this was about 2 weeks later (..I think) after the incident. Could this be enough to throw the electrical system into disorder? How much should I expect to pay for the two modules (?) in the wheel well if indeed this is this issue?
Water in the trunk would absolutely cause all of the issues you're experiencing. I had detergent spill in the trunk of my 550i and it wrecked havoc on my electrical system. In fact, nothing on my dash was working and the car would barely start but not shift into second gear. Luckily I was on back roads and i drove it 20 mph to the shop. The two modules in my model in the wheel well are the TPMS and the parking/motion detectors. If you were to unplug them you'd at least gain all of your normal functionality back. Replacing them out of warranty is going to cost a bundle.

Someone made a post on relocating those two devices to the sides of the vehicle.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:54 PM
CARPE DIEM

Send a message via AIM to 300zxmuro Send a message via MSN to 300zxmuro Send a message via Yahoo to 300zxmuro
Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Interesting...i went to the dealer today to perform scheduled services. The SA told me that they will perform the battery recall. When i picked up the car he told me all is good but they were not ablr to perform the recall because of all the aftermarket equipment i have in the trunk. I told him what is going to happen now? He says nothing, your car is in great shape a nothing will happen. So i said back, i am kind of happy you did not do it because i heard awful stories, he said, i know, more than one has come back complaining about failures after the recall.
Just wanted to share....

2008 535i Black Sapphire, Black Dakota Leather, Blue-tooth, Nav, iDrive, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, SIRIUS, Comfort Access, Comfort Seats, Parking Sensors, Xenon, Paddles, Sport Suspension, Lane Departure Warning, Rear Power Shade, etc.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 525i 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zxmuro View Post
Interesting...i went to the dealer today to perform scheduled services. The SA told me that they will perform the battery recall. When i picked up the car he told me all is good but they were not ablr to perform the recall because of all the aftermarket equipment i have in the trunk. I told him what is going to happen now? He says nothing, your car is in great shape a nothing will happen. So i said back, i am kind of happy you did not do it because i heard awful stories, he said, i know, more than one has come back complaining about failures after the recall.
Just wanted to share....
Wow.. So even the stealership knows this is happening..
Old 07-28-2012, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: x3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTriad View Post
So its been a week that they fixed the battery cable issue. However last night, more problems started to occur. First the radio has no sound at all. I-drive works perfectly, except the media. Then the next morning, a high battery drain error came on. At this point I was pissed. Then a couple of hours later, a sos malfunction error came on. Now I was furious . What could be the issue here?? I replaced all the fuses and still nothing.

I've owned my 2005 525I for 4 years and no problems. The cars currently at 77k miles.
how about take it back to the dealer and let them fix it and give you a loaner????????
Old 07-29-2012, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
New member, similiar problem

First posting, so please bear with me if I don't follow exact protocol.

I took my '07 525i into dealership last week for inspection sticker. Service rep called to say there was some recall work to be done on battery cable. I said fine. She also discovered a leaky oil pan gasket, which I had not been aware of. Fine, fix that, too. Car was in shop all day, bill was $1200. Ouch.

Two days later (after not a lot of driving, btw) I went to drive car after 24 hours. Nada. Radio would work, windows, etc. Small hum, nothing else from starter. I called dealership - it was right before closing on Saturday afternoon. They said it was probably starter. Ouch again.

I spent some time on line, trying to figure out what $$ I could expect to spend for starter, then found a couple of threads about electrical problems after the battery cable recall. And suddenly I'm thinking there is a connection between the recall "work" and my current problem. My battery is fine; it's only a year old.

Any suggestions? And how do I present my situation in the best light so dealership owns up to it and it's not another $2000 to me? I'm an old Boomer blonde with zero mechanical knowledge, but I don't like being used like a shop rag.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2012, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i Sport
Performed the battery cable recall. Then I went to Autozone and bought a new battery to replace the old Autozone battery, which is an exact physical duplicate of OEM. After I installed the new battery, I inputted time and date, and got power steering, transmission and passenger restraint fault warnings. I put the battery on battery tender until fully charged and the fault codes disappeared. My conclusion, based up this and other experience, is that BMW electrical system is a "blood-sucking vampire" and requires battery in perfect condition, or it will spew fault codes, or even worse, fail to start. This car, more than any other I'm aware of, requires a Battery Tender.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i Sport
For all of you guys getting fault codes on your cars, almost all of them are caused by low battery voltage. Go to Autozone and get your battery checked for free. If the voltage is low, or even if it passes but is somewhat low, buy yourself a new battery for $170.00. It is physically identical to the OEM battery: same dimensions, same terminal positions, and same vent tube hole. It comes with a three-year free replacement warranty and an eight-year pro-rata warranty. The cold cranking amps are rated slightly higher than the OEM battery. Install the battery or have someone do it for you. Initially, put the new battery on a Battery Tender. When the green light shines on the Battery Tender, all of your fault codes will go away. Whenever you are not using your car for more than a day, put it on the Battery Tender. The electrical systems on E60s are power-sucking vampires, but Autozone and Battery Tender will solve your problems for you.

Last edited by goodman; 08-11-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:33 AM

what about the re-programming the dealership requires when replacing the battery? is that bogus?
Old 08-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm View Post
what about the re-programming the dealership requires when replacing the battery? is that bogus?
You will get both answers. One camp says "if BMW says it is important it must be" the other says "I can buy three batteries for the price of one and programming if it doesn't last as long"

On the other hand, if changing the TYPE of battery then programming is most important. If you get a AGM type battery and your existing battery is not AGM then you will need to make sure the car knows about the newer battery type.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328IS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zxmuro View Post
Just wanted to share....
I have an appointment. to have the recall done on 8/25 and then I'm supposed to go on a long trip up to NJ on the 29th. I don't feel like getting stuck on the road or having to limp along and be in a compromising position while on vacation. So I think I will just cancel the appointment. and now given what I see here, I'm seriously considering not getting it done.

Last edited by amar67; 08-14-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328IS
I need to change the battery anyway so I will do that now and I plan to replace with exact match but NO registration for now. This will be a good test. I also plan to have a jumper battery hooked up to the front connector and do a live transplant of the new battery. I will post back how it goes.

Last edited by amar67; 08-14-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: A car
What model battery tender are people buying?

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:12 PM

im looking at the Tesla S, a good bet they have a grip on charging systems and batteries