Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 06-12-2012, 08:46 PM
bayoucity's Avatar
bayoucity bayoucity is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,512
Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
Buy me two beers and then I will forgive you.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-15-2012, 01:34 PM
BMW Power's Avatar
BMW Power BMW Power is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston, MA
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,503
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
A 320d blows away the VW diesels in performance (2 sec faster in 0-100kmh, higher top speed) and has comparable fuel economy.

The Euro VI compliant 330d with the 8 spd auto can do 0-100kmh in 5.6 sec and 46 mpUSg in the ECE combined cycle (compare to the 320d and Passat that are both rated at 50 mpUSg).

I'm looking forward to BMW's decision on bringing their next 3er d to this side of the pond
I rented one of these in Germany, power was very adequate around town, but it took a long time to get to 130mph speed limiter compared to the 335d. If I had the choice of either in the US, it would be the 335d for me. The mileage was incredible in the 320d.
__________________
2012 X5 35d DSB - Prem, SAV, Cold, Sound, Tech packages, Apps Delivered 6/6/12

Retired 2011 335d AW, M Sport, Premium and Convenience pkg, Heated Seats, Nav, HK, iPod/USB, smart phone. ED 8/31/10

Retired 2008 335i Coupe 6-speed Manual, Montego Blue, Sport, Premium, CW, Nav, PDC, AS, Shade, HD, Sat, Ipod/USB, Logic 7, CA
PCD 11/07

Retired 2004 545i Sapphire Black/Black 6-speed Manual, Sport.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-16-2013, 06:53 PM
gulfcoastbeemer gulfcoastbeemer is offline
Registered User
Location: Gulf Coast
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 17
Mein Auto: BMW 335d
First post for Oil-burner lover

This is my first forum post.

I have a similar experience to DC-IT. I have a 2011 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI as well as a 2011 BMW 335d. My BMW 335d replaced a '06 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI.

I don't know if the BMW 335d will become a classic or attain "cult" status. For now, I just enjoy being one of the luck few BMW owners who "get it" when it comes to the 335d.

I love my Jetta TDI. Before that, I had on '09 VW Jetta TDI sedan. My first diesel was a VW Rabbit circa 1979, so you could say I have a history -- or a problem depending on you view of diesels. These FWD VWs are sporty in their own way -- just not as disciplined as the RWD 3-series.

I did consider the new VW Passat TDI SEL, but by the time I added in the Sunroof / Navigation and few minor options, I was looking at around $35,000. The real problem with the Passat was underneath it all, it was a $20K price-point family sedan. The Audi TDI might have been a better comparison, but it's price sky-rocketed as you added options and I hate the way it's presents itself as it comes at you -- with a grill / mouth like a bottom-feeding catfish.

So far I love most everything about my BMW 335d -- just as I did my M-B E320 CDI. The biggest difference is the BMW handles better, is faster -- and makes me feel younger.

I should mention that my wife and I both own modern BMW motorcycles that exhibit exceptional handling characteristics. You could say we came to the BMW automobile through our association with the BMW motorcycle (motorrad).

Last edited by gulfcoastbeemer; 02-16-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-16-2013, 07:15 PM
rmorin49's Avatar
rmorin49 rmorin49 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hagerstown, MD,
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,208
Mein Auto: 2011 335d
If BMW had offered the 335d in a coupe or vert with a manual tranny it might have a chance of being collectible especially in MSport trim. As a 4 dr sedan with an automatic, seriously doubt it will be a "classic". Check the values for used ones, not very good. I felt fortunate when I traded and got about 75% of what I paid for my 335d. Paid $44K, got $32K when I traded for an A4.
__________________

Colonel (Ret) US Army / Hagerstown, MD
1985 M635 Euro Alpine White/Pacific Blue (Fun Car)FOR SALE(see ad on BMWCCA website)
2010 Z4 s30i Alpine White/Beige
2013 Audi A6 Ibis White/Nougat (Daily Driver)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)/PCD
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED 04-13-10/PCD
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)

https://plus.google.com/photos/10999...COHGu-rlyIrrLg
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-17-2013, 07:25 AM
Flyingman's Avatar
Flyingman Flyingman is online now
hang up and drive!
Location: Miami
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,111
Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcoastbeemer View Post
This is my first forum post.

I have a similar experience to DC-IT. I have a 2011 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI as well as a 2011 BMW 335d. My BMW 335d replaced a '06 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI.

I don't know if the BMW 335d will become a classic or attain "cult" status. For now, I just enjoy being one of the luck few BMW owners who "get it" when it comes to the 335d.

I love my Jetta TDI. Before that, I had on '09 VW Jetta TDI sedan. My first diesel was a VW Rabbit circa 1979, so you could say I have a history -- or a problem depending on you view of diesels. These FWD VWs are sporty in their own way -- just not as disciplined as the RWD 3-series.

I did consider the new VW Passat TDI SEL, but by the time I added in the Sunroof / Navigation and few minor options, I was looking at around $35,000. The real problem with the Passat was underneath it all, it was a $20K price-point family sedan. The Audi TDI might have been a better comparison, but it's price sky-rocketed as you added options and I hate the way it's presents itself as it comes at you -- with a grill / mouth like a bottom-feeding catfish.

So far I love most everything about my BMW 335d -- just as I did my M-B E320 CDI. The biggest difference is the BMW handles better, is faster -- and makes me feel younger.

I should mention that my wife and I both own modern BMW motorcycles that exhibit exceptional handling characteristics. You could say we came to the BMW automobile through our association with the BMW motorcycle (motorrad).
Gulfcoast, can you narrow down a bit where along the coastline you are? There is some 2,500 miles of Gulf Coast!!!!

Welcome to the forum and choosing a proper diesel powered vehicle. I too had a R1200C, best bike I ever had.
__________________

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-17-2013, 09:51 AM
335dFan's Avatar
335dFan 335dFan is offline
Jumping Jack Flash
Location: Oregon (near Portland)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 353
Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcoastbeemer View Post
This is my first forum post.

I have a similar experience to DC-IT. I have a 2011 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI as well as a 2011 BMW 335d. My BMW 335d replaced a '06 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI.

I don't know if the BMW 335d will become a classic or attain "cult" status. For now, I just enjoy being one of the luck few BMW owners who "get it" when it comes to the 335d.

I love my Jetta TDI. Before that, I had on '09 VW Jetta TDI sedan. My first diesel was a VW Rabbit circa 1979, so you could say I have a history -- or a problem depending on you view of diesels. These FWD VWs are sporty in their own way -- just not as disciplined as the RWD 3-series.

I did consider the new VW Passat TDI SEL, but by the time I added in the Sunroof / Navigation and few minor options, I was looking at around $35,000. The real problem with the Passat was underneath it all, it was a $20K price-point family sedan. The Audi TDI might have been a better comparison, but it's price sky-rocketed as you added options and I hate the way it's presents itself as it comes at you -- with a grill / mouth like a bottom-feeding catfish.

So far I love most everything about my BMW 335d -- just as I did my M-B E320 CDI. The biggest difference is the BMW handles better, is faster -- and makes me feel younger.

I should mention that my wife and I both own modern BMW motorcycles that exhibit exceptional handling characteristics. You could say we came to the BMW automobile through our association with the BMW motorcycle (motorrad).
Which motorcycles do you have? Long ago I owned a '73 R75/5 that I loved and drove in Germany. Lately the only one that interests me is the R1200R (I think that's the model) because it is the closest to my old one. But now am older and terrified to compete with the crazy traffic here in the USA.

Last edited by 335dFan; 02-17-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-17-2013, 04:57 PM
gulfcoastbeemer gulfcoastbeemer is offline
Registered User
Location: Gulf Coast
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 17
Mein Auto: BMW 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy335dOwner View Post
Which motorcycles do you have? Long ago I owned a '73 R75/5 that I loved and drove in Germany. Lately the only one that interests me is the R1200R (I think that's the model) because it is the closest to my old one. But now am older and terrified to compete with the crazy traffic here in the USA.
My wife has a tricked-out 2005 R1200RT (on left) and I have a 2007 R1200RT -- both are a modern air / oil cooled variation on the R75/5 with which you are familiar. I started riding in 1967, so I can relate to your comment about age and traffic. My first BMW was an R69/US. Generally, we ride out in the country, where there are more cattle than people, making it more enjoyable.

Before there were ever BMW autos there were BMW motorcycles. Here are ours:

Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-19-2013, 07:08 AM
335dFan's Avatar
335dFan 335dFan is offline
Jumping Jack Flash
Location: Oregon (near Portland)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 353
Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcoastbeemer View Post
My wife has a tricked-out 2005 R1200RT (on left) and I have a 2007 R1200RT -- both are a modern air / oil cooled variation on the R75/5 with which you are familiar. I started riding in 1967, so I can relate to your comment about age and traffic. My first BMW was an R69/US. Generally, we ride out in the country, where there are more cattle than people, making it more enjoyable.

Before there were ever BMW autos there were BMW motorcycles. Here are ours:

Thanks for responding. Nice looking bikes. Mine was bare bones, no fairing, no "saddle bags". Just a nice tank bag.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/alb...ictureid=33373

This picture was taken in 1974-1975 in Germany. That's my now 40 year old son sitting on it.
__________________
Mods, etc: ACS M3 Sports Springs, JRZ RS1 Dmprs, Quaife LSD w/VAC finned diff cvr, M3 Rear SF Bushings, M3 Sways, M3 OEM front and rear Susp Comp Kits (except strut brace), Ground Control Caster/Camber Plates, JBD 100%, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, non-stgrd Apex ARC-8 18" wheels & Nitto Motivo tires (for winter OEM 17" wheels and Blizzak LM-25 tires).

Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Pierre Louis Pierre Louis is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Savannah
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 657
Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
The 335d may turn out to be a classic but it's only because the e90 is such a good car. This is one of the best engine transmission combinations for this series. The new f40 is not turning out to be such a great deal. I drove a loaner base model with a four-cylinder automatic and was not impressed. The sitting position is not very good and it reminds me of a poor man's E-class. Nothing wrong with that, but it's no longer a sports sedan. It's more of an entry luxury car. I know that putting in a manual transmission, an in-line six, and a sport suspension will go a long way, but the sitting position and the front vision will not change. The new car no longer has a commanding view of the road like a true sports sedan should and the steering has much to be desired.

Even though the resale value is currently perceived as not so good, I believe the public especially car enthusiasts will realize how much better the e90 has been and it will command a good resale value in the future. Whether it becomes a classic will be determined by the kind of cars that are being produced in the near future with all of the fuel economy regulations and electronic gizmos that will take over the mechanical feel of our current 335d.

My $.02

PL
__________________
Rose Castorini: I just want you to know no matter what you do, you're gonna die, just like everybody else.
Cosmo Castorini: Thank you, Rose. - Moonstruck
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-19-2013, 09:26 AM
gulfcoastbeemer gulfcoastbeemer is offline
Registered User
Location: Gulf Coast
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 17
Mein Auto: BMW 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy335dOwner View Post
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/alb...ictureid=33373

This picture was taken in 1974-1975 in Germany. That's my now 40 year old son sitting on it.
Wonderful photo! Cool ride!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-19-2013, 10:09 AM
NoI4plz NoI4plz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Stop stalking me!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,065
Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Haha 335d will be a classic. Considering the numerous electronics on the vehicle that will eventually fail, its gonna be a limited classic.
__________________
BMW and Mercedes Build Beta Products!
Lexus build Release Candidate Products!

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-19-2013, 01:04 PM
BB_cuda's Avatar
BB_cuda BB_cuda is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Clear Lake, Texas
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 679
Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
Gulfcoast, can you narrow down a bit where along the coastline you are? There is some 2,500 miles of Gulf Coast!!!!:
I'm right there with you, Flyingman. From Miami all the way around to Brownsville, TX, that is a long way. Several of us D owners call Houston our home.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-19-2013, 05:14 PM
Flyingman's Avatar
Flyingman Flyingman is online now
hang up and drive!
Location: Miami
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,111
Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
I'm right there with you, Flyingman. From Miami all the way around to Brownsville, TX, that is a long way. Several of us D owners call Houston our home.
Why are you stopping at Brownsville???? Viva Mejico!!!!
__________________

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms