Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 06-10-2012, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2012x3
Stiff Brake Pedal

Over the last couple weeks my new X3 has developed a strange problem. The brake pedal gets very firm when the cars been sitting, and sometimes requires a lot of force to get car to start. Problem began only when the car was left overnight, but now it's starting to do this when the car sits for only an hour. I took to dealer and they tell me this is normal. However, it never did this before and my friend with the identical car, doesn't have this issue. Anyone know what, if anything is going on with the brakes? I'm guessing it's a vacuum pressure issue, but dealer is telling me "normal".
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2012, 06:05 AM
RetiredBum

Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '02VetteVert
I recall reading a post or two on the electronic parking brake giving that effect; may need checking or adjusment...fwiw.
GL, mD
'10 Hyundai Tucson for the CEO, & 3 Assorted M'Cycles.
BMW CCA mem. Tarheel Chapter
My Flickr...Scenes,Cars & Road Trip Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45275375@N00/
Old 06-14-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
I recall reading a post or two on the electronic parking brake giving that effect; may need checking or adjusment...fwiw.
GL, mD
Thanks David... Cars going back in for service tomorrow so I'll mention this. Appreciate it.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:36 PM

Well, after car being at dealer for a day and a half, they're still insisting this is the way it's supposed to be. I guess I'll have to wait to lose the brakes while driving for problem to be acknowledged. Very disappointed with dealership.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Can you try going to a different dealership for service? Some are far better than others.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:39 PM

I'm going to have to try that. Although the dealer I go to is the biggest and supposed "best" in all of Colorado. Just so frustrating.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: X3
My 09x3 has done this since new and at 90k with no undue issues...heck still original front pads and rotors. Funny thing is In the last 3 years I never even thought something could be wrong until I read this post. Lol.

My vote is this is normal behavior...although I can't explain it. It only does it when you turn it on after sitting and then brake feel is el perfecto.

I have my parents 2012 x3 in my garage right now and when I got in it earlier it had a similar stiff feel (I used the electronic e break).

Last edited by x3brian; 06-15-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
My 09 has done this since new and at 90k with no undue issues...heck still original front pads and rotors. Funny thing is In the last 3 years I never even thought something could be wrong until I read this post. Lol.

My vote is this is normal behavior...although I can't explain it. It only does it when you turn it on after sitting and then brake feel is el perfecto.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to know there is really no issue as far as safety. What bugs me is that it didn't do this for the first 5 months and a buddy with the exact same car doesn't have this problem. Overall, it's really just an annoyance.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
This sounds like a fault to me.

I use the electric ebrake and auto hold all the time and my brake pedal is smooth and linear.

Maybe ask to test drive a dealer demo back to back with your car... Then you will know if it is normal or not.

Last edited by lbjgh; 06-15-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
This sounds like a fault to me.

I use the electric ebrake and auto hold all the time and my brake pedal is smooth and linear.

Maybe ask to test drive a dealer demo back to back with your car... Then you will know if it is normal or not.
Brake pedal is smooth and linear in both our instances. It is only hard at startup before car is turned on...and it doesn't happen every time. Over the years I have had other makes and models exhibit similar behavior. I just can't explain what causes it..maybe the power brake booster? Dunno....
Old 06-16-2012, 05:09 PM

Had a loaner car for two days and zero instances of losing the brake vaccuum, even whe the car sat for 15 hours. Dealer finally agreed to replace the check valve, mostly to just placate me, but then was told that the are none available in the entire country so it'll be a couple weeks before they can get one from Germany. That sounds a little odd to me but we'll see if they deliver. Have never had to argue with any dealer over a repair before. This is very disappointing and aggravating.

Last edited by Sharky co; 06-16-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:32 PM

Since bringing car bck from latest dealer trip, brakes are now losing their vacuum after only 15 minutes of shut off. Really concerned this could become a safety issue.

Last edited by Sharky co; 06-16-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:10 PM

It won't do you any good. Dealer controls conversation with bmwna...as with all manufacturers.

Best bet is to discuss with dealer. If you don't get recognition move to another dealer.

Last edited by x3brian; 06-16-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
It won't do you any good. Dealer controls conversation with bmwna...as with all manufacturers.

Best bet is to discuss with dealer. If you don't get recognition move to another dealer.
Hmmm, interesting. Okay. Thanks for the tip. The dealer has always been top notch (ive bought 3 cars there) and the service advisor is great guy. I really want to resolve it with this dealership if possible. Just frustrated. Hopefully the check valve is the issue and that'll be the end of if.

Last edited by Sharky co; 06-16-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky co View Post
Had a loaner car for two days and zero instances of losing the brake vaccuum, even whe the car sat for 15 hours. Dealer finally agreed to replace the check valve, mostly to just placate me, but then was told that the are none available in the entire country so it'll be a couple weeks before they can get one from Germany. That sounds a little odd to me but we'll see if they deliver. Have never had to argue with any dealer over a repair before. This is very disappointing and aggravating.
Lack of parts availability is a common theme with the X3. It seems like pretty much nothing at all is stocked in the US.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:21 PM

Finally got problem diagnosed correctly. After 3 trips to my dealer, and having them tell me everything's normal, I requested they change the check valve anyway. They told me they would do that but replaced a hose instead. No change...

Today I took car to a different dealer for service and within an hour (after doing a smoke test) they could tell me that the brake booster pump is leaking and needs to be replaced. They even insisted they keep the car till the part comes in as it may not be safe to drive with that defective pump.

After 3 trips to my dealer and being treated like I was being a pain in the butt over "normal operating behavior", I'm torn between outrage, and satisfaction that at least the problem has been found.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Quote:
Finally got problem diagnosed correctly. After 3 trips to my dealer, and having them tell me everything's normal, I requested they change the check valve anyway. They told me they would do that but replaced a hose instead. No change...

Today I took car to a different dealer for service and within an hour (after doing a smoke test) they could tell me that the brake booster pump is leaking and needs to be replaced. They even insisted they keep the car till the part comes in as it may not be safe to drive with that defective pump.

After 3 trips to my dealer and being treated like I was being a pain in the butt over "normal operating behavior", I'm torn between outrage, and satisfaction that at least the problem has been found.
I am very glad you stuck to your guns and got the problem solved!!! Even though it was with a different dealer!

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 07-06-2012, 01:03 PM

Now you have me worried as my 09 has done this since new. I will inspect my booster pump tommorow.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:29 PM

If mine had done this from the start I never would have thought twice about it. It just became worse and worse and really noticeable.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:30 PM

The pen is mightier than the sword.

I'd write to BMWNA and advise them of the original dealership's incompetence (provided dealer #2 was correct and fixes the car).

With a little bit of knowledge, experience or effort dealer #1 could have saved you time and aggravation!

Quote:

Old 07-11-2012, 09:47 PM

Well, new pump was installed.. Problem completely gone. Dealer #1 may sell the most cars in the Western hemisphere, but they don't know sh*t about service. Sooooooo disappointed.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:01 AM

I think you owe it to other BMW owners to contact BMWNA about dealership #1.

What a bunch of incompetent boobs.

Quote:
Well, new pump was installed.. Problem completely gone. Dealer #1 may sell the most cars in the Western hemisphere, but they don't know sh*t about service. Sooooooo disappointed.