Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 323i
How much water should be getting into my door?

I had the typical problem of my rear door leaking due to the vapor barrier seal coming undone and the water leaking in when it rained through the bottom of the door. I used the 3M window weld stuff to fix the leak and it held for about 4 months until now. I opened the door up again today and sure enough the seal on the bottom had come undone again and was wet (I had been washing the car and noticed a leak when i went to vacuum). However, during my testing I noticed that a good amount of water was leaking into the door. So much so that the window regulator was wet and so were the electrical wires and connections that run to it. My question is should this much water be getting into my door? I used a blow drier to re apply the seal and it is water tight again for now. I just wanted to check and see if I may have another problem allowing this much water into the door in the first place?

Last edited by computerwhiz1; 10-14-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-15-2012, 12:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to CLP-WGH
Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330xi
I have a huge leak in my front passenger door. But its due to my own device. I poorly installed an aftermarket side view mirror. And my vapor seal is trashed. I haven't had time to fix the problem. Currently, I have the bottom of the door panel detached so the water flows freely in the car and doesn't cause any serious damage to the electrical components of the door. That sounds bad, I know, but for now a few towels in my passenger foot well is all I can do.

Thought I would sympathize with you.

Good luck
Old 10-15-2012, 06:33 AM
XIL

Mein Auto: 2002 325xi
I'm going to go out on a limb and say NO water should be getting into your door :|. I've never had any leaking problems thank God. But now I'm going to have to put my window back on track... hopefully it seals back up nicely.

Dreaming of the ///M.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:51 AM

Well it rained hard here last night for about an hour and I came out this morning to discover that non only way the back door leaking again, but the front right door leaked really bad, and the front left door leaked a bit as well though not near as much. This is caused by the water getting into the door there the window meets the door. See the attached picture for where the water gets into the door. Fron here it hits up against the vapor barrier and over time the seal at the bottom end of the capor barrier comes loose and all that water getting into the door makes its way into the floor of the car. Does anyone have any tips on how to gets these capor barriers to seal up better?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw_e46_1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	345769  
Old 10-15-2012, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
I've seen people heat the barrier sticky-putty with a hair dryer to make it more pliable and reset the barrier. You can also buy the stuff at autozone type places in a 10-20 ft roll (comes in a thin square box) for relatively cheap and then use it to refresh wherever the existing seal-putty is too thin or degraded to reseal. When I did mine, I would slice the new ribbon in half and sandwich it in between the putty on the door and the putty on the barrer.

Last edited by ahull; 10-15-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:14 PM

Got home today and sprayed the doors with a hose to try and make them leak. Neither door leaked so I am going to assume that it had to do with the intense rain we had last night. I will be replacing a window regulator in the front right door soon, so I will check the vapor barrier when I am in there and reseal it using a paint roller, a hair dryer, and the 3M window weld stuff from the store. I will keep a check on it next time it rains and make sure it isn't the sunroof drain, but the wet spot I had was consistent with it running in through the door rather than the sunroof drain I think.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Rambling Wreck

Mein Auto: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerwhiz1 View Post
Fron here it hits up against the vapor barrier and over time the seal at the bottom end of the capor barrier comes loose and all that water getting into the door makes its way into the floor of the car. Does anyone have any tips on how to gets these capor barriers to seal up better?
I don't know if this makes a difference, but when I removed the vapor barrier, I sliced through the original butyl rubber adhesive with a sharp knife rather than tearing it off. I did this work in a cold garage, so the rubber was easier to cut.

Before resealing the vapor barrier, I removed all of the old butyl rubber from the door with sticky tape. The remaining little bits came off easily with 3M adhesive remover. Then I applied a bead of fresh butyl rubber all around the door and pressed the vapor barrier into place from top to bottom, heating the new rubber on the door and the old rubber on the vapor barrier with a heat gun as I proceeded downward. If the heat gun is set to too high a temperature, the vapor barrier material will smoke.