Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-11-2012, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
'02 325i won't start...Bad Park Switch??

Yesterday, my wife had issues starting the car. I jiggled the shifter, and the car started. (I've had this issue before.) She drove it home and parked in the driveway. Later, I went to back into the garage, and it refused to start. No matter how much I manipulated the shifter, no joy. So now it's parked. I'm thinking it has a bad park position switch.

BTW, while attemping to start, all the lights come on as if the car was actually going to start, but the engine never turns.

I'm an ex-Chevy mechanic, and have preformed all of my own work on this car (bought it new 10 years ago). So there's not much that scares me about working on this thing. I have a Bentley manual, but cannot locate this switch for R&R instructions. Anyone know what the switch is called??? (Or, am I completely barking up the wrong tree...?)
Ads by Google
Old 06-11-2012, 08:58 AM

A little research at the local dealer has yielded this:

The part is called a "Position Switch". P/N 24107507818

Anyone with any experience replacing this part? From the diagram the dealer provided, desn't look like it should be too tough. Bentley doesn't refer to it at all.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Did you try starting it in neutral ?

BTW, the correct term is "Neutral Safety Switch"....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....

Last edited by Fast Bob; 06-11-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:04 AM

I've changed my thinking to replacing the key fob.

The spare key that my wife keeps (at home, not with her), starts the car just fine. Went through this several times last night. My key would not start the car, but in every instance, her key did.

Also, the battery in my bad key seems nominal. It will unlock the doors, and open the trunck.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPBIII View Post
I've changed my thinking to replacing the key fob.

The spare key that my wife keeps (at home, not with her), starts the car just fine. Went through this several times last night. My key would not start the car, but in every instance, her key did.

Also, the battery in my bad key seems nominal. It will unlock the doors, and open the trunck.
I believe there is a DIY in the wiki to replace the rechargeable battery in the key, but you have to do some surgery to the case. Might be an alternative to paying $200 at the dealer.