Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-11-2012, 12:28 PM
nicewonky nicewonky is offline
Registered User
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 89
Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
Eyes Free (iOS6 Siri)

Watching the WWDC keynote and it mentions that there's plans to integrate Siri into BMWs among other cars via the speech recognition button on the right side of our steering wheels. Even shows a picture of the msport wheel with that button circled out. Sounds like one of the best things to happen to our cars!!

That said, seems like support is only promised within the next 12 months. Wonder if that means it'll only apply to the 2013s with the next-gen Navs or also to current F10s. Anyone have any more info?
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 06-11-2012, 12:29 PM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Coast
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,201
Mein Auto: German
Damn, you beat me to it. I was just going to post this.

Probably going to be the next gen iDrive, which confuses me because MY13s will get an upgraded iDrive. Does this mean Apple just teased another version for the future?

I was considering a X1 or 3 series within the next couple months, but I am holding off. No way will I buy a BMW without all these cool new technologies
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-11-2012, 12:40 PM
nicewonky nicewonky is offline
Registered User
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 89
Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
Dang!! And I still had high hopes that it might be a simple BMW Connected Apps update to enable this functionality.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-11-2012, 12:44 PM
nicewonky nicewonky is offline
Registered User
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 89
Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
Hmmm ... it'll be a worthy next upgrade to the iDrive system if they tie it in with the new iOS Maps systems. It already has all the live traffic and dynamic guidance etc. makes perfect sense to build this in together with the Eyes Free integration.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Stealth.Pilot's Avatar
Stealth.Pilot Stealth.Pilot is offline
The Driver
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,571
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Damn, you beat me to it. I was just going to post this.

Probably going to be the next gen iDrive, which confuses me because MY13s will get an upgraded iDrive. Does this mean Apple just teased another version for the future?

I was considering a X1 or 3 series within the next couple months, but I am holding off. No way will I buy a BMW without all these cool new technologies
I think it will be MY13 iDrive.
__________________

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-11-2012, 01:16 PM
ksoze ksoze is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 607
Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
No way will I buy a BMW without all these cool new technologies
That can be a viscous circle. The announcements at the WWDC mentioned that the Siri button would be in various cars in the next 12 months - that means sometime in technospeak. I held off a month or two for pending BMW Aops, but I would not have held out for a feature which may be added in a year. I also hold out hope that there could be a backdoor way for Siri to be launched using another standard button in the interim.

My advice is to buy your car when you feel that model meets your needs and price, using boards like this to see where next changes lead. At any point you buy, you will have the latest technology only for that day. The next day the new stuff will begin to be discussed and the cycle begins again.
__________________
2011 E93 M3 Convertible JB/FR | 2002 E46 M3 Convertible | 2002 E53 X5 3.0 | 2000 E39 540i | 1998 E36 M3 | 1988 E28 M5 | 1987 E28 528i
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-11-2012, 01:49 PM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Coast
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,201
Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I think it will be MY13 iDrive.
Apple quoted about 12 months for Siri integration in cars, so maybe MY14?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-11-2012, 01:49 PM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Coast
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,201
Mein Auto: German
Side note,

iOS 6 will bring text message support to iDrive finally because Apple has added MAP support in the BT stack

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...one-users.html
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-11-2012, 02:25 PM
ksoze ksoze is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 607
Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Side note,

iOS 6 will bring text message support to iDrive finally because Apple has added MAP support in the BT stack

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...one-users.html
I do not see any confirmed reference to BT MAP being included in iOS beta 6, aside from that post from a mustang owner. I hope he was not confused by the map upgrades in iOS 6.
__________________
2011 E93 M3 Convertible JB/FR | 2002 E46 M3 Convertible | 2002 E53 X5 3.0 | 2000 E39 540i | 1998 E36 M3 | 1988 E28 M5 | 1987 E28 528i
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Stealth.Pilot's Avatar
Stealth.Pilot Stealth.Pilot is offline
The Driver
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,571
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Apple quoted about 12 months for Siri integration in cars, so maybe MY14?
I interpreted that it would be available from all the car manufacturers listed within 12 months. My guess is that Apple has already been working with BMWs Technology Center in Palo Alto. I would be very surprised if BMW wasn't the first OEM to market over the next 12 months. Apple has always worked very closely with BMW and it is no coincidence that it was a BMW steering wheel in their slide show.

I also reckon this should be possible to offer to everyone with post April 2011 smartphone integration. It's a software thing, not a hardware thing.
__________________

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 06-11-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-11-2012, 03:17 PM
chuck92116's Avatar
chuck92116 chuck92116 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 867
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
While it all sounds cool, I bet a dollar to a donut that Siri won't link voice to the iDrive's nav system. Now that would be cool.

i.e, Siri "Find me the nearest starbucks and send to nav"

BMW will still be behind a Ford for gosh sake.
__________________
2011 535i
2013 VW Golf TDI
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-11-2012, 04:41 PM
gspannu gspannu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: UK
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 387
Mein Auto: 5 Series F10 2012 Model
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
I do not see any confirmed reference to BT MAP being included in iOS beta 6, aside from that post from a mustang owner. I hope he was not confused by the map upgrades in iOS 6.
I have an Apple Developer account and am downloading iOS6 as I type… I will check this tomorrow morning and post…..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Ace535i's Avatar
Ace535i Ace535i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA, Pacific Time
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,415
Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicewonky View Post
Watching the WWDC keynote and it mentions that there's plans to integrate Siri into BMWs among other cars via the speech recognition button on the right side of our steering wheels. Even shows a picture of the msport wheel with that button circled out. Sounds like one of the best things to happen to our cars!!

That said, seems like support is only promised within the next 12 months. Wonder if that means it'll only apply to the 2013s with the next-gen Navs or also to current F10s. Anyone have any more info?
I saw the announcement on Bimmerpost.com today.

Is there indeed a dedicated button for Siri on the BMW steering wheel?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-11-2012, 06:59 PM
wdimagineer's Avatar
wdimagineer wdimagineer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 670
Mein Auto: 2013 M5
I'm at WWDC at the moment and have talked with a few former Apple colleagues about this. There won't be a dedicated Siri button, but instead the voice button can proxy requests to a compatible iOS device automatically. No concrete timetable but BMW is actively working on it.
__________________
Current: 2014 X5 xDrive50i ZMM - Alpine White/Mocha (Mods In Progress!)
Past: 2014 Jeep SRT - 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Bimmerpost Featured 2013 F10 M5 - 2012 550 xDrive - 2011 M3 ZCP
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-11-2012, 11:26 PM
ksz ksz is offline
Registered User
Location: San Jose
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
I do not see any confirmed reference to BT MAP being included in iOS beta 6, aside from that post from a mustang owner. I hope he was not confused by the map upgrades in iOS 6.
BlueTooth MAP support is there in iOS 6! It was listed in one of the final slides presented by Scott Forestall during the keynote.

Update: fast forward the keynote video to about 1:47:35. It's listed towards the middle-right side of the slide in dim shade of gray.

Last edited by ksz; 06-11-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-11-2012, 11:40 PM
wdimagineer's Avatar
wdimagineer wdimagineer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 670
Mein Auto: 2013 M5
Correct. It's there. I'm running the beta but my car is 3,000 miles away. Curious if the car will actually see any additional visible profiles.
__________________
Current: 2014 X5 xDrive50i ZMM - Alpine White/Mocha (Mods In Progress!)
Past: 2014 Jeep SRT - 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Bimmerpost Featured 2013 F10 M5 - 2012 550 xDrive - 2011 M3 ZCP
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-12-2012, 01:59 AM
gspannu gspannu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: UK
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 387
Mein Auto: 5 Series F10 2012 Model
Good news & bad news on iOS6

I have iOS6 running on an iPhone 4S, my car is a 2012 F10 with latest comms software.

Good News:
The Office menu in the iDrive is actually populated with 3 submenus.
Office Today
Contacts
Messages

Opening Office Today; goes into refresh mode and displays a summary of
Emails
Text messages (SMS)
Service Messages

Bad News:
It always shows 0 messages; does not populate.

Tried sending messages, emails, tried repairing bluetooth phone, removed phone from list, repaired; tried all sorts - but no success.

Will keep trying…..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-12-2012, 05:01 AM
gspannu gspannu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: UK
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 387
Mein Auto: 5 Series F10 2012 Model
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Correct. It's there. I'm running the beta but my car is 3,000 miles away. Curious if the car will actually see any additional visible profiles.
Can you check when you get to your car? I tried and I cannot get this to work. Refer above post.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-12-2012, 05:57 AM
mkossler mkossler is offline
Matty K.
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 118
Mein Auto: 2011 535i Jet Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
Good news & bad news on iOS6

I have iOS6 running on an iPhone 4S, my car is a 2012 F10 with latest comms software.

Good News:
The Office menu in the iDrive is actually populated with 3 submenus.
Office Today
Contacts
Messages

Opening Office Today; goes into refresh mode and displays a summary of
Emails
Text messages (SMS)
Service Messages

Bad News:
It always shows 0 messages; does not populate.

Tried sending messages, emails, tried repairing bluetooth phone, removed phone from list, repaired; tried all sorts - but no success.

Will keep trying…..
It could very well be that they have the integration enabled in the beta, but not the required data mapping code. If you're seeing that menu, it certainly looks like they intend to populate it before they release IOS 6 to the public.
__________________
2011 535i (8/2011 build) Jet Black, Black Dakota leather, Dark Wood, Convenience, Premium 1 & 2, SmartPhone, BMW Apps
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-12-2012, 06:36 AM
gspannu gspannu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: UK
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 387
Mein Auto: 5 Series F10 2012 Model
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkossler View Post
It could very well be that they have the integration enabled in the beta, but not the required data mapping code. If you're seeing that menu, it certainly looks like they intend to populate it before they release IOS 6 to the public.
Hmm.. You may very much be correct; a very plausible reasoning… after all, iOS6 is still a beta.

I usually upgrade to a beta as soon as it is made available.

I'll keep a lookout and see how this pans out..
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-12-2012, 07:10 AM
peschwartz61's Avatar
peschwartz61 peschwartz61 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Framingham, MA
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 244
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325xi
Can it be retrofitted in a 328xi?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-12-2012, 12:00 PM
wdimagineer's Avatar
wdimagineer wdimagineer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 670
Mein Auto: 2013 M5
@gspannu: I'll try when I get home on Saturday. I'm here for WWDC all week.

I'm also curious if this means that contact pictures might now work... it's something that Windows Phone 7, some BlackBerries, and some Android devices offer. I know it's silly to most, but I spend a lot of time adding images to my address book. Same with album art for ripped music.

I was playing around with WP7 for a couple days and I have to say it was neat seeing contact pictures appear on the iDrive screen when you received/placed a call.

Hopefully with iOS 6 it means that Apple is easing some of the restrictions a bit.

Did you re-pair your phone for Office to work? I'm not sure if the car can re-request supported profiles from a phone or not.
__________________
Current: 2014 X5 xDrive50i ZMM - Alpine White/Mocha (Mods In Progress!)
Past: 2014 Jeep SRT - 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Bimmerpost Featured 2013 F10 M5 - 2012 550 xDrive - 2011 M3 ZCP
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-13-2012, 01:18 PM
gspannu gspannu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: UK
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 387
Mein Auto: 5 Series F10 2012 Model
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
@gspannu: I'll try when I get home on Saturday. I'm here for WWDC all week.

I'm also curious if this means that contact pictures might now work... it's something that Windows Phone 7, some BlackBerries, and some Android devices offer. I know it's silly to most, but I spend a lot of time adding images to my address book. Same with album art for ripped music.

I was playing around with WP7 for a couple days and I have to say it was neat seeing contact pictures appear on the iDrive screen when you received/placed a call.

Hopefully with iOS 6 it means that Apple is easing some of the restrictions a bit.

Did you re-pair your phone for Office to work? I'm not sure if the car can re-request supported profiles from a phone or not.
Thanks for the response, I await your test. You are lucky that you can attend WWDC.

I did not need to pair, iDrive just picked it up. I however, did unpaid, repair, remove phone from IDrive, Remove car from iPhone - tried all combos and repaired, but only success was getting a new submenu, with no updates.

Contacts with photos - I too spend ages doing it (& getting them right) … so would be awesome if this works...
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-13-2012, 06:42 PM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Coast
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,201
Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I interpreted that it would be available from all the car manufacturers listed within 12 months. My guess is that Apple has already been working with BMWs Technology Center in Palo Alto. I would be very surprised if BMW wasn't the first OEM to market over the next 12 months. Apple has always worked very closely with BMW and it is no coincidence that it was a BMW steering wheel in their slide show.

I also reckon this should be possible to offer to everyone with post April 2011 smartphone integration. It's a software thing, not a hardware thing.
This is correct. BMW was the first to offer iPod integration a long time ago also.

I remember a couple months ago, MB announced Siri integration in the upcoming A Class, which should be basically the same thing as upcoming iDrive support
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-14-2012, 04:54 AM
bmacedo bmacedo is offline
Registered User
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: BMW 318 Touring 2011
BMW with Siri

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
Hmm.. You may very much be correct; a very plausible reasoning… after all, iOS6 is still a beta.

I usually upgrade to a beta as soon as it is made available.

I'll keep a lookout and see how this pans out..
I Have Business Navigation, not professional. Do you think Siri will be avaiable in Business ?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms