Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 06-11-2012, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
Eyes Free (iOS6 Siri)

Watching the WWDC keynote and it mentions that there's plans to integrate Siri into BMWs among other cars via the speech recognition button on the right side of our steering wheels. Even shows a picture of the msport wheel with that button circled out. Sounds like one of the best things to happen to our cars!!

That said, seems like support is only promised within the next 12 months. Wonder if that means it'll only apply to the 2013s with the next-gen Navs or also to current F10s. Anyone have any more info?
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
Damn, you beat me to it. I was just going to post this.

Probably going to be the next gen iDrive, which confuses me because MY13s will get an upgraded iDrive. Does this mean Apple just teased another version for the future?

I was considering a X1 or 3 series within the next couple months, but I am holding off. No way will I buy a BMW without all these cool new technologies
Old 06-11-2012, 12:40 PM

Dang!! And I still had high hopes that it might be a simple BMW Connected Apps update to enable this functionality.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:44 PM

Hmmm ... it'll be a worthy next upgrade to the iDrive system if they tie it in with the new iOS Maps systems. It already has all the live traffic and dynamic guidance etc. makes perfect sense to build this in together with the Eyes Free integration.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:07 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Damn, you beat me to it. I was just going to post this.

Probably going to be the next gen iDrive, which confuses me because MY13s will get an upgraded iDrive. Does this mean Apple just teased another version for the future?

I was considering a X1 or 3 series within the next couple months, but I am holding off. No way will I buy a BMW without all these cool new technologies
I think it will be MY13 iDrive.

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Old 06-11-2012, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
Quote:
No way will I buy a BMW without all these cool new technologies
That can be a viscous circle. The announcements at the WWDC mentioned that the Siri button would be in various cars in the next 12 months - that means sometime in technospeak. I held off a month or two for pending BMW Aops, but I would not have held out for a feature which may be added in a year. I also hold out hope that there could be a backdoor way for Siri to be launched using another standard button in the interim.

My advice is to buy your car when you feel that model meets your needs and price, using boards like this to see where next changes lead. At any point you buy, you will have the latest technology only for that day. The next day the new stuff will begin to be discussed and the cycle begins again.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I think it will be MY13 iDrive.
Apple quoted about 12 months for Siri integration in cars, so maybe MY14?
Old 06-11-2012, 01:49 PM

Side note,

iOS 6 will bring text message support to iDrive finally because Apple has added MAP support in the BT stack

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...one-users.html
Old 06-11-2012, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
Quote:
Side note,

iOS 6 will bring text message support to iDrive finally because Apple has added MAP support in the BT stack

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...one-users.html
I do not see any confirmed reference to BT MAP being included in iOS beta 6, aside from that post from a mustang owner. I hope he was not confused by the map upgrades in iOS 6.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:36 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Apple quoted about 12 months for Siri integration in cars, so maybe MY14?
I interpreted that it would be available from all the car manufacturers listed within 12 months. My guess is that Apple has already been working with BMWs Technology Center in Palo Alto. I would be very surprised if BMW wasn't the first OEM to market over the next 12 months. Apple has always worked very closely with BMW and it is no coincidence that it was a BMW steering wheel in their slide show.

I also reckon this should be possible to offer to everyone with post April 2011 smartphone integration. It's a software thing, not a hardware thing.

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 06-11-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
While it all sounds cool, I bet a dollar to a donut that Siri won't link voice to the iDrive's nav system. Now that would be cool.

i.e, Siri "Find me the nearest starbucks and send to nav"

BMW will still be behind a Ford for gosh sake.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: 5 Series F10 2012 Model
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
I do not see any confirmed reference to BT MAP being included in iOS beta 6, aside from that post from a mustang owner. I hope he was not confused by the map upgrades in iOS 6.
I have an Apple Developer account and am downloading iOS6 as I type… I will check this tomorrow morning and post…..
Old 06-11-2012, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicewonky View Post
Watching the WWDC keynote and it mentions that there's plans to integrate Siri into BMWs among other cars via the speech recognition button on the right side of our steering wheels. Even shows a picture of the msport wheel with that button circled out. Sounds like one of the best things to happen to our cars!!

That said, seems like support is only promised within the next 12 months. Wonder if that means it'll only apply to the 2013s with the next-gen Navs or also to current F10s. Anyone have any more info?
I saw the announcement on Bimmerpost.com today.

Is there indeed a dedicated button for Siri on the BMW steering wheel?
Old 06-11-2012, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M5
I'm at WWDC at the moment and have talked with a few former Apple colleagues about this. There won't be a dedicated Siri button, but instead the voice button can proxy requests to a compatible iOS device automatically. No concrete timetable but BMW is actively working on it.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
BlueTooth MAP support is there in iOS 6! It was listed in one of the final slides presented by Scott Forestall during the keynote.

Update: fast forward the keynote video to about 1:47:35. It's listed towards the middle-right side of the slide in dim shade of gray.

Last edited by ksz; 06-11-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:40 PM

Correct. It's there. I'm running the beta but my car is 3,000 miles away. Curious if the car will actually see any additional visible profiles.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:59 AM

Good news & bad news on iOS6

I have iOS6 running on an iPhone 4S, my car is a 2012 F10 with latest comms software.

Good News:
The Office menu in the iDrive is actually populated with 3 submenus.
Office Today
Contacts
Opening Office Today; goes into refresh mode and displays a summary of
Emails
Text messages (SMS)
Service Messages

Bad News:
It always shows 0 messages; does not populate.

Tried sending messages, emails, tried repairing bluetooth phone, removed phone from list, repaired; tried all sorts - but no success.

Will keep trying…..
Old 06-12-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Correct. It's there. I'm running the beta but my car is 3,000 miles away. Curious if the car will actually see any additional visible profiles.
Can you check when you get to your car? I tried and I cannot get this to work. Refer above post.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:57 AM
Matty K.

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Jet Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
Good news & bad news on iOS6

I have iOS6 running on an iPhone 4S, my car is a 2012 F10 with latest comms software.

Good News:
The Office menu in the iDrive is actually populated with 3 submenus.
Office Today
Contacts
Opening Office Today; goes into refresh mode and displays a summary of
Emails
Text messages (SMS)
Service Messages

Bad News:
It always shows 0 messages; does not populate.

Tried sending messages, emails, tried repairing bluetooth phone, removed phone from list, repaired; tried all sorts - but no success.

Will keep trying…..
It could very well be that they have the integration enabled in the beta, but not the required data mapping code. If you're seeing that menu, it certainly looks like they intend to populate it before they release IOS 6 to the public.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkossler View Post
It could very well be that they have the integration enabled in the beta, but not the required data mapping code. If you're seeing that menu, it certainly looks like they intend to populate it before they release IOS 6 to the public.
Hmm.. You may very much be correct; a very plausible reasoning… after all, iOS6 is still a beta.

I usually upgrade to a beta as soon as it is made available.

I'll keep a lookout and see how this pans out..
Old 06-12-2012, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325xi
Can it be retrofitted in a 328xi?
Old 06-12-2012, 12:00 PM

@gspannu: I'll try when I get home on Saturday. I'm here for WWDC all week.

I'm also curious if this means that contact pictures might now work... it's something that Windows Phone 7, some BlackBerries, and some Android devices offer. I know it's silly to most, but I spend a lot of time adding images to my address book. Same with album art for ripped music.

I was playing around with WP7 for a couple days and I have to say it was neat seeing contact pictures appear on the iDrive screen when you received/placed a call.

Hopefully with iOS 6 it means that Apple is easing some of the restrictions a bit.

Did you re-pair your phone for Office to work? I'm not sure if the car can re-request supported profiles from a phone or not.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
@gspannu: I'll try when I get home on Saturday. I'm here for WWDC all week.

I'm also curious if this means that contact pictures might now work... it's something that Windows Phone 7, some BlackBerries, and some Android devices offer. I know it's silly to most, but I spend a lot of time adding images to my address book. Same with album art for ripped music.

I was playing around with WP7 for a couple days and I have to say it was neat seeing contact pictures appear on the iDrive screen when you received/placed a call.

Hopefully with iOS 6 it means that Apple is easing some of the restrictions a bit.

Did you re-pair your phone for Office to work? I'm not sure if the car can re-request supported profiles from a phone or not.
Thanks for the response, I await your test. You are lucky that you can attend WWDC.

I did not need to pair, iDrive just picked it up. I however, did unpaid, repair, remove phone from IDrive, Remove car from iPhone - tried all combos and repaired, but only success was getting a new submenu, with no updates.

Contacts with photos - I too spend ages doing it (& getting them right) … so would be awesome if this works...
Old 06-13-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I interpreted that it would be available from all the car manufacturers listed within 12 months. My guess is that Apple has already been working with BMWs Technology Center in Palo Alto. I would be very surprised if BMW wasn't the first OEM to market over the next 12 months. Apple has always worked very closely with BMW and it is no coincidence that it was a BMW steering wheel in their slide show.

I also reckon this should be possible to offer to everyone with post April 2011 smartphone integration. It's a software thing, not a hardware thing.
This is correct. BMW was the first to offer iPod integration a long time ago also.

I remember a couple months ago, MB announced Siri integration in the upcoming A Class, which should be basically the same thing as upcoming iDrive support
Old 06-14-2012, 04:54 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 318 Touring 2011
BMW with Siri

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
Hmm.. You may very much be correct; a very plausible reasoning… after all, iOS6 is still a beta.

I usually upgrade to a beta as soon as it is made available.

I'll keep a lookout and see how this pans out..
I Have Business Navigation, not professional. Do you think Siri will be avaiable in Business ?