Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F06 Gran Coupe (2013 - Current)

F06 Gran Coupe (2013 - Current)
BMW's entrance into the 4 door coupe segment to go head to head with the Audi A7 and MB CLS

Old 04-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
BMW Releases the Concept Gran Coupé

In the BMW Concept Gran Coupé, BMW presents the vision of a 4-door vehicle which combines the exclusivity of a Gran Turismo with the fascination of a high-performance sports car. The design of the concept study underscores the expertise of the brand BMW in the development of vehicles with a distinctive sporty character which offer space for more than two occupants. This reflects the particular quality of the BMW Group design philosophy, which consists in precisely and authentically translating the specific values of product substance into an aesthetically convincing shaping style. The design process is set through with a passion for aesthetic appeal and dynamic performance, precision and perfection. This is how the uncompromising premium aspiration of a BMW Group product, the unmistakable style of the brand BMW and the precisely defined character of each model are given concrete form.

The body design of the BMW Concept Gran Coupé expresses sporty flair in its ultimate form. The 4-door vehicle clearly signals the very highest level of dynamic performance with its extremely elegant, flat and coupe-like proportions. Stretching the entire length of the vehicle and therefore measuring almost 5 meters, flowing lines dominate the design, giving rise to outstanding aerodynamic levels, just as the low center of gravity reflects an agile driving response.

The front section is defined by the BMW kidney grille characteristic of the brand - an icon of body design which is not just central but also a dominating element of front design. The kidney grille of the BMW Concept Gran Coupé has a flat appearance, with an asymmetrical side view which emphasizes the close attention to detail. The central section with the kidney grille is formally separated from other BMW icons such as the headlights and air inlets. The clarity of the LED front lights highlights the vehicle's precision and premium aspirations. The air inlet runs back an extremely long way into the side section, making the front section appear particularly wide. All elements of the front section appear to merge to form a single, elegantly curved movement.

The sporty, flat silhouette provides an impressive body height of just under 1.40 metres. This makes the BMW Concept Gran Coupé up to 100 millimeters flatter than the BMW 5 Series or the BMW 7 Series Sedan. The roof line tapers off gently into the rear, thereby elongating the vehicle's proportions. The forward-tilted shark nose visually extends the bonnet and creates characteristic BMW proportions with its forward-pointing dynamism. This stretched character is also highlighted by the side lines, where there is a deliberate avoidance of the typical sill line. The flat proportions make the window graphics appear extremely narrow and dynamic at the same time. Another BMW design icon, the Hofmeister kink, is especially strikingly formed - additionally emphasizing the exclusive character of the vehicle. The frameless doors give the BMW Concept Gran Coupé a modern character since the glass surfaces appear to merge seamlessly without being interrupted by columns.

At the rear, only design elements such as the lights and tailpipe trim appear to be visible at first sight. The entire rear section appears slimmer and lighter at the center, though still exuding power and dynamic performance since the volume is reinforced towards the sides. The L-shaped light banks feature a slight, almost subtle curve and the entire design of the lines and surfaces highlights the vehicle's elegant overall appearance. The third brake light, positioned in the rear window, is also fitted with LED technology. It takes up the kink in the roof and illuminates the entire width of the rear window. The powerfully flared wheel arches above the rear axle highlight the particularly sporty character of the BMW Concept Gran Coupé.

Another highly sporty and also elegant feature is the rim concept in which the individual spokes extend deep into the center of the rim towards the hub, giving the rim a striking three-dimensional quality. The spokes themselves are not solid but relief-milled, giving them a visual lightness.

The sculptural shaping style characteristic of the entire body design of the BMW Concept Gran Coupé permits a unique interaction between concave and convex surfaces. It also enables the light to be selectively reflected and channeled. Thus the exterior mirrors integrated in the window shaft appear very light, blending harmoniously into the side view since their shape assimilates the entire line styling. The BMW Concept Gran Coupé is a further development of the classic design of a notchback sedan in which the individual body sections merge harmoniously into a flat, elongated and at the same time dynamic overall image. The effect of this 4-door vehicle derives not just from specific highlights but from its overall appearance, which authentically reflects its character. The car's dynamic potential is embodied in its proportions and lines, signaling power but also elegance and forward thrust.

Read more news about the BMW Gran Coupe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The-BMW-Concept-Gran-Coupe_1.jpg
Views:	43043
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	227318   Click image for larger version

Name:	The-BMW-Concept-Gran-Coupe_2.jpg
Views:	3905
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	227319   Click image for larger version

Name:	The-BMW-Concept-Gran-Coupe_3.jpg
Views:	1039
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	227320   Click image for larger version

Name:	The-BMW-Concept-Gran-Coupe_4.jpg
Views:	929
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	227322   Click image for larger version

Name:	The-BMW-Concept-Gran-Coupe_5.jpg
Views:	856
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	227323  

Click image for larger version

Name:	The-BMW-Concept-Gran-Coupe_6.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	227324   Click image for larger version

Name:	The-BMW-Concept-Gran-Coupe_7.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	227325  
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2010, 01:04 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2007 530xiT
Thanks Tim!!
2007 530xiT -- Titanium Silver / Black Dakota / Nav / PP / Step / Sirius / HD / CWP / CA /Rear shades / 2 Diono Monterey Booster Seats in Pink :>) / Hüper Optik tint -- Ordered 08/19/06 -- Delivered 10/17/06 -- 59 days order to delivery.

"Money is a strange business. People who haven't got it aim at it strongly. People who have it are full of troubles." -- Ayrton Senna

BMW CCA Member
Old 04-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Sign me up for one!!!
Old 04-24-2010, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335is
I so want this car!!!!!
Old 04-25-2010, 10:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i
Looks great. I hope that they actually produce it.

2008 650i Sport Convertible
Monaco Blue | Saddle BrownLeather | Comfort Access | Cold Weather Package | Park Distance Control | Heads Up Display | Navigation | Sirius | Logic 7 Premium Sound HD Radio
Old 04-26-2010, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: 05 G35X; 09 335 vert
I want one so badly!! Looks great -- like a sexier version of the 5 series (which I already loved to begin with). Looks like it may be coming . ..
http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-b...-8-series.html

09 335 vert - ED Feb 09
06 325 vert - gone
05 G35x - winter
Old 04-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Nerdy G

Send a message via AIM to Bk650
Mein Auto: 650i
i believe this is the same design for the new 6 series just a 2door hard top convertable version but styling will be the same

650i on 22's Asanti, mtec v3 angel eyes, Custom exhaust...

2000 GS300 heavily modded gone but never forgotten
1998 LS400 Daily driver
2005 Range Rover HSE (family car) Lost in Divorce
Old 04-26-2010, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 09 535i sport
Great looking design, this is what the F10 should have looked like instead of the boring stodgy design they came up with. I guess they have to leave room for another model to get people to buy. Anyway, something to look forward to.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535i
Definitely looks like it should've been the next 3 series! I wouldn't be surprised if it was! I would rather by this then the 2012 f10. This is WAY COOL! Can't wait for it to come out!

11' 335Cic Alpine White - Black Interior - Xenon - M Sport Package - Premium Package - Navi - Current

08' 535i Alpine White - Black Interior - Xenon - Sport Package - Premium Package - Navi - Current

08' X5 3.0si Alpine White - Beige Interior - Sport Package - Premium Package - Navi - Current

06' 330I Sparkling Graphite - Black Interior - Xenon - Sport Package - Retired

01' 330Cic Alpine White - Beige Interior - Xenon - Sport Package - Premium Package - Retired
Old 04-27-2010, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: C1
I really like it!
Old 03-24-2012, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
Beautiful!! I really like those rims, too.

What will be its price point?
Old 05-21-2012, 05:05 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW 6 Series
Very nice in person..saw it at Bimmerfest...

Mike F | Vossen Wheels
Email: mike@vossenwheels.com
Web: www.vossenwheels.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/vossenwheels
Videos:www.youtube.com/vossenwheels