Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW Z3
Bmw z3 roadster convertible top clear plastic rear window

I just purchased this replacement rear window for my 2001 Z3 on eBay and it installed easily and now the top looks like new now. Only $149.95 Highly recommended. The window zips out and a new one is just zipped in. Go to ebay and type in this itm number in the search: 150822892830
Ads by Google
Old 06-22-2012, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW Z3 3.0
I just order a window from this seller as well

The seller has a new item #. Not certain why. The new # is 150839598053.

Anyone else use this replacement window and any insights/war stories about the install?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: Ford Explorer
Here you go

Here you go...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1681426

Also - I bought the ebay window as well. I have not installed it yet. I am told it is the exact same seller as the emiata window which you can get for $90 shipped.

http://emiata.com/Z3Window.asp

YMMV
Old 06-24-2012, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW Z3 3.0
Thanks flossy21!
Old 07-24-2012, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 Roadster
Emiata Window Replacement

I recently bought an Emiata replacement window for my 2002 Z3 and but for a botched install job by yours truly I think it would have been a great alternative.

The installation was rather easy and can be done by just one person.

Here's the story.

My initial attempt to install the window had me falling prey to the oldest mistake in the book - zipping it in in the wrong direction. My second attempt had the window in about 15 minutes later and but for a small ripple in the window all was good.

Let this be a lesson - don't let perfection be the enemy of good enough. I should have left well enough alone. Instead I unzipped and tried a third time during which I ripped the zipper away from the top in one of the lower corners and that was the ball game. Many additional attempts and a couple hours later and I just couldn't get the teeth to mesh at the point where the zipper had torn from the top. So much for a $100 solution, next up, the $800 solution - a new top.

Note: The Emiata window DOES NOT come with the plastic piping around the edge. Apparently that is a patent held by BMW. As such, you will end up gluing the canvas edge of your top to the nylon edge of the window.

Two things:

1. Yes the job can be done by just one person. Instead of having someone hold the window in place just lay the window on the trunk (use a blanket to protect your trunk and new window of course) then hang the edge of the new window over the back edge the trunk and line it with your starting point on your top. This way you can easily stand to one side of the car or the other and reach across to work on getting the zipper started. This is much easier than attacking it from inside the car.

2. Remove your antenna so you don't bump into it and snap it off while working.

Hope this helps somebody.

Lee
Old 07-25-2012, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: Z3, e46, Ford Explorer
Question: If you glue the edges down using the Emiata window, will the glue release the edges the next time you need to replace the window? Has anyone done this?

Al
Old 07-25-2012, 09:17 AM

Al,

That would be my guess. The glue is a rubber cement type so it's not a "permanent" hardening type of glue. It's the same glue the factory uses to install the original window. The window that comes with the car also uses this type of glue in addition to the piping. If you want a twice installed Emiata window but never used for cheap let me know. I have one.

Lee
Old 07-25-2012, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: Z3, e46, Ford Explorer
Lee,

Thanks for the reply. I believe that I can get one more season out of my original window, but will keep your offer in mind.

Al
Old 07-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Lee View Post
Al,

That would be my guess. The glue is a rubber cement type so it's not a "permanent" hardening type of glue. It's the same glue the factory uses to install the original window. The window that comes with the car also uses this type of glue in addition to the piping. If you want a twice installed Emiata window but never used for cheap let me know. I have one.

Lee
Actually, the factory window comes with a thin border of tape around the outside of the window next to the piping. The paper covering is peeled off after installation and then the top material is inserted under the piping.

The canvas will come up okay if you ever need to lift it for some reason. As a matter of fact it will come up on its own after a while and you will find your self constantly reapplying glue to keep it looking "decent". The previous owner installed an eMiata window for the sale and I got tired of the canvas trim constantly coming up and looking like crap so I went back with an OEM window. I had to scrub all of the glue from the canvas strip off the top material for it to look decent again.

For the OEM window, the best adhesive to use under to flap when tucking it in is Permatex Clear Flowable Windshield Sealant. It may work well for the canvas edging on the eMiata window too, but you'll have to be more careful with the application.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: 97 Z3 1.9L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Lee View Post
Al,

Lee
$$for shipped to 06260?

Tired of not driving due to zipper and window having stitching needing to be replaced so figured I might as well look at replacing window too.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:58 PM

I would like $50 plus shipping, what ever that might be. Couldn't be more than $10 UPS ground.

Lee
Old 08-08-2012, 03:54 PM
DansZ

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Roadster
Three questions please: Is the trim on this window attached or does it need to be glued on after? With the time since you have installed it has the trim stayed attached? Do you drop your top often? Thanks, Dan
Old 08-08-2012, 03:59 PM
DansZ

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Roadster
How is your newly installed Z3 rear window standing up? Do you drop the top often? Does the "high quality trim" stay in place as advertised?
Would you purchase this product again? I need to make a decision soon, but unsure of the Emiata trim and fastening? Thanks, Dan
Old 08-08-2012, 04:06 PM

Dan,

I ended up putting a whole new top on because as I was trying to install my window my top ripped. BUT, I did have my replacement window in and from all indications it was a good fit. I cannot attest to the longevity of the replacement window but for me the Emiata window seems like a good solution.

I can sell you my brand new Emiata window for $50 plus shipping. I had it installed for about 5 minutes then noticed that I had put it in crooked so I took it out and tried again - that's when I ripped my top.

Let me know if you're interested.

Lee