Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-12-2012, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
This product may contain 10% Ethanol ???

So I try to always put Shell Vpower premium in my car and I notice that some Shell stations have posted “This product may contain 10 ethanol.”

That statement to me says that it does contain ethanol

So my question is, when you see that sign would that include the premium Vpower high end gas that I pay and extra .35c a gallon more for to also contain ethanol, or is it strictly in the regular gas?
Ads by Google
Old 06-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bimmer
Yeah, uh, I am pretty sure Ethanol has been in all US gasoline for, ah, quite a while now...?

Old 06-12-2012, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Yep, been in v-power 93 for like a decade, maybe NC didn't require it to be specifically labelled or something, but here it has says 10% ethanol on the pumps for as long as I can remember
Old 06-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyandRich View Post
Yeah, uh, I am pretty sure Ethanol has been in all US gasoline for, ah, quite a while now...?
As Sunny says: virtually all gasoline in the contiguous 48 has ethanol in it. There are a few (a couple in Granite Falls, wherever that is, etc.) that have non-ethanol 93 octane: http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NC
Old 06-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
It's a crazy patchwork of state and federal regulations. All gas is not created equal. I'm not anti-regulation per se, but I do pity the guys and gals who have to somehow keep all the requirements straight and ship the right stuff to the right locations.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 06-12-2012, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEMRNUT View Post
So I try to always put Shell Vpower premium in my car and I notice that some Shell stations have posted “This product may contain 10 ethanol.”

That statement to me says that it does contain ethanol

So my question is, when you see that sign would that include the premium Vpower high end gas that I pay and extra .35c a gallon more for to also contain ethanol, or is it strictly in the regular gas?
The same thing happens at Costco, but the 10% label is posted under the regular pump, not the premium pump. I asked a store manager, he said the premium gas there had no ethanol. I didn't quite believe him though.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
The same thing happens at Costco, but the 10% label is posted under the regular pump, not the premium pump. I asked a store manager, he said the premium gas there had no ethanol. I didn't quite believe him though.
I wouldn't either.

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CA

Tom
Old 06-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Always laughing loudest

Mein Auto: '11 335i M-sport...by day
In these parts of Texas, if the local small-chain gas stations carry ethanol-free gas they tend to advertise it. There are a few gas stations that have big signs posted. Others I've discovered through word of mouth. As I see it, if I'm running 10% ethanol, the engine should be able to absorb it without impact. Especially if I'm primarily doing daily-drive commutes. If I knew I was headed for the track, I'd do the research in advance and find the closest 100% ethanol free station. Otherwise, fill as fill can.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:39 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
In the US, I'd assume 10% ethanol in fuel unless otherwise advertised or specifically labelled. The pure-gas website is a good resource to find petrol without ethanol.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Very interesting, my question came up because not all the shells post the sign, so I thought only the ones with it had it. I guess I learned something that's been ancient news.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:48 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Our owner's manual (at least mine) contains the encouraging statement that fuels containing 10% ethanol "will not void the applicable warranties with respect to defects in materials or workmanship."
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 06-13-2012, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
It's a crazy patchwork of state and federal regulations. All gas is not created equal. I'm not anti-regulation per se, but I do pity the guys and gals who have to somehow keep all the requirements straight and ship the right stuff to the right locations.
That's the main reason gas is so expensive anymore. Each 'region' has it's own blend and if it get's below freezing, there's another blend for that.

3 blends are all we need, left coast, the rest of the country and north cold weather.

JB4 PNP .... Love at every stomp on the go pedal!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Tastes like chicken

Mein Auto: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR
In MA all gasoline must contain 10% ethanol by law. There is no 100% gasoline here any more.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dump View Post
In MA all gasoline must contain 10% ethanol by law. There is no 100% gasoline here any more.
I think this applies to all gas sold in the lower 48. With the ban on MTBE, ethanol seems to be the only approved oxygenate that can be added to gasoline. Even Sunoco 100 octane unleaded pump gas has 9.5% ethanol ( http://www.racegas.com/fuel/19 ). It seems the only variable is how much ethanol gets added, not whether it is added. I wouldn't trust stickers on pumps (or gas station managers, for that matter) to decide ethanol content. Absent an explicit 'no ethanol content' statement by the refiner/distributor, expect there to be some ethanol content in the gas.

Edit: If you go to the Sunoco web site, the only gas they sell that is ethanol-free is the leaded gas. Leaded gas can not be sold for on highway use in the U.S.

Last edited by anE934fun; 06-13-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: See Edit:
Old 06-13-2012, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: '11 328xi, '09 550i
The only ethanol free pumps I know of are at marinas. Since ethanol attracts water molecules, gas pumps for marine use tend to be ethanol free.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
I think this applies to all gas sold in the lower 48. With the ban on MTBE, ethanol seems to be the only approved oxygenate that can be added to gasoline. Even Sunoco 100 octane unleaded pump gas has 9.5% ethanol ( http://www.racegas.com/fuel/19 ). It seems the only variable is how much ethanol gets added, not whether it is added. I wouldn't trust stickers on pumps (or gas station managers, for that matter) to decide ethanol content. Absent an explicit 'no ethanol content' statement by the refiner/distributor, expect there to be some ethanol content in the gas.

Edit: If you go to the Sunoco web site, the only gas they sell that is ethanol-free is the leaded gas. Leaded gas can not be sold for on highway use in the U.S.
I'm not aware that all places must sell oxygenated fuels, only those sold in larger metropolitan areas are required. Thus, you'll notice that the largest cities tend to have few, if any places with non-ethanol fuel. On the other hand, smaller cities and rural areas have non-ethanol fuel.

I fill up with the no-ethanol stuff whenever possible. I don't care if the owner's manual says 10% ethanol is acceptable- it's still not ideal.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
He's full of $hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dump View Post
Here in CA too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
I'm not aware that all places must sell oxygenated fuels, only those sold in larger metropolitan areas are required. Thus, you'll notice that the largest cities tend to have few, if any places with non-ethanol fuel. On the other hand, smaller cities and rural areas have non-ethanol fuel.

I fill up with the no-ethanol stuff whenever possible. I don't care if the owner's manual says 10% ethanol is acceptable- it's still not ideal.
It depends on the state you live in and some states break it down by certian county requirements as well. It's a clusterfcuk patchwork of government regulation:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapshot 2012-06-13 13-45-19.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	329098  
Old 06-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
It depends on the state you live in and some states break it down by certian county requirements as well. It's a clusterfcuk patchwork of government regulation:
Yeah, thats the map I remember seeing months ago! I drive/live mostly in rural VA/NC/SC so hence the ease of finding non-oxygenated and/or no-ethanol fuel.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Yeah, thats the map I remember seeing months ago! I drive/live mostly in rural VA/NC/SC so hence the ease of finding non-oxygenated and/or no-ethanol fuel.
For modern cars I think it's not much to be concerned about.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Higher than you

Mein Auto: E92 335iS
http://www.ethanolrfa.org/pages/chan...line-iv-manual
Old 06-14-2012, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
snip...

I am curious regarding what is actually sold in the areas where there is no legal requirement driving ethanol content. For example (based on the map), most of Illinois does not have a requirement for ethanol content. The area around Chicago requires ethanol content. If the area that does not require ethanol content is supplied from the same refiner/pipeline that supplies Chicago, I would be skeptical of any claim that there is no ethanol in their gasoline. It becomes problematic to turn on/off the ethanol spigot unless ethanol is added at the point of distribution. Adding ethanol at the point of distribution would seem to require some significant storage capacity. I wonder if there are any E9X forum participants who work in the distribution end of the business? I would be curious to learn how the varying ethanol content requirements are met. The patchwork of different requirements would seem to be a significant logistical challenge and I wonder how it is handled day-to-day.