Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-12-2012, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi Coupe
Rim Repair in MA

I didn't get a chance to ask anybody at C2C4 so here goes.

Last Wed I got new tires put on (Conti DWS) at a "recommended" reputable shop. They even had a guarantee that the rims wouldn't be damaged during the swap. Well low and behold a burr on the shoe of the machine put a gouge near the outside of my rim pretty much all the way around. They didn't charge for the mount and balance and agreed to have the rim repaired.

Ive been mulling it over for about a week now an I'm not totally sure on what to do. I would like to have my rim repaired but I realize that **** happens and I don't hold it against the guy.

So basically, no more work on the car without asking where to go on Bimmerfest first. Has anybody here had their rims repaired? Where do you guys recommend to go? Is there somewhere local? Should I just suck it up and live with the damage?

Thanks,
Dan
Ads by Google
Old 06-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
I used the mobile van from the Quincy office of these guys back in April to fix a couple of road rash spots on mine. Came out very nice, although the damage in my case was perhaps 3 to 6 inches on each wheel instead of all the way around.

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/usa_c...ions_mass.html

I described the damage over the phone, and they estimated $125 to $150 each. After they saw them, it came to $250 all-in. The van moves between different dealers, doing repairs for the cars in their lots. I spent some time talking with the guy doing the work. Seemed very capable, and I think he appreciated the fact that I was talking to him instead of just dumping the tires and heading off. He took his time with them, and I was quite pleased. You can also drop the wheels at the shop in Quincy of the damage is too extensive to fix with the mobile van.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 06-12-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:06 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 335i
I don't know where you at in mass rim pro in Tewksbury they good
Old 06-13-2012, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekbreaker View Post
+1
I got my rims straightened there. Reasonable and they have good equipment

335d Black Sapphire/Biege/Premium/Sport/Cold/Nav/CA/PDC/iPod

Old 06-13-2012, 07:11 AM
Porleau

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335ix M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
I used the mobile van from the Quincy office of these guys back in April to fix a couple of road rash spots on mine. Came out very nice, although the damage in my case was perhaps 3 to 6 inches on each wheel instead of all the way around.

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/usa_c...ions_mass.html

I described the damage over the phone, and they estimated $125 to $150 each. After they saw them, it came to $250 all-in. The van moves between different dealers, doing repairs for the cars in their lots. I spent some time talking with the guy doing the work. Seemed very capable, and I think he appreciated the fact that I was talking to him instead of just dumping the tires and heading off. He took his time with them, and I was quite pleased. You can also drop the wheels at the shop in Quincy of the damage is too extensive to fix with the mobile van.
This is good to know as I live in the Boston area. For the minor curb rash, do the rims come off the car? Can they do this with tires on? I have very small road rash - perhaps less than .5" - that I wasn't planning on addressing immediately. Figured I'd wait until I eventually make it worse and get it taken care of then. I could do this in the winter as I have a winter set up, but if they can do this quickly without dismounting the tires, then that might work out better.

2011 E90 Black Sapphire| Chestnut Dakota | xDrive | M-Sport | STEP | ZCW| ZPP | ZXA | HK Stereo | CA

Gone, but not forgotten:
08 BMW 335i e90
05 Audi A4 3.0q USP
01 Audi A6 4.2q
98 Audi A4 2.8q
91 BMW 535i
87 BMW 325e
85 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 06-13-2012, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekbreaker View Post
Agreed! They did the rims on my E46 M3 and they turned out great.

Tim
Old 06-13-2012, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
I have had a bunch done at RimPro in Tewksbury and they have always come out great (and they are close to me) - you do need to take the wheel into them, they won't actually take the wheel off your car and store your car for you.

Rim and Wheel Works is the other reputable wheel shop in the area and they are in Waltham.

Rob
Old 06-13-2012, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325xi
Rim repair in MA

I have used Rim and Wheel Works in Waltham and I am very satisfied.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:45 AM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
Agreed! They did the rims on my E46 M3 and they turned out great.

Tim
i spotted the bimmerfest f30 at stop n shop again... dude clean that thing
Old 06-13-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorrey View Post
This is good to know as I live in the Boston area. For the minor curb rash, do the rims come off the car? Can they do this with tires on? I have very small road rash - perhaps less than .5" - that I wasn't planning on addressing immediately. Figured I'd wait until I eventually make it worse and get it taken care of then. I could do this in the winter as I have a winter set up, but if they can do this quickly without dismounting the tires, then that might work out better.
I believe they do have to come off the car, as they deflate the tires to be able to run the refinishing line below the bead line, but I'm not certain as the work was done on my summer set while I had the winters mounted. The tires do stay on the rim, though.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 06-13-2012, 01:14 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anavel View Post
So basically, no more work on the car without asking where to go on Bimmerfest first. Has anybody here had their rims repaired? Where do you guys recommend to go? Is there somewhere local? Should I just suck it up and live with the damage?

Thanks,
Dan
The first places I would shop, or just go to, would be what other festers have already recommended to you. But if you want more choices, here is a well known nationwide resource/listing, AWRS, with the MA shops you can perhaps research a bit.

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/locat...#Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorrey View Post
As far as I understand it, they don't have to come off the car. Also, I don't think deflating is necessary, at least for most jobs on most wheels. However, more to the point: it's not a very quick job, depending on what quick means to you. But just one wheel, one tiny gash, maybe they can finish within an hour? Just call them up, or send an email with a photo, and they can give you a pretty accurate time estimation.

The best price I found last time I was looking around happened to be with an AWRS shop, which provided better discounts when more wheels were involved. However, for only a bit more money, there are other mobile pros who can come to your home/work. There is at least one such mobile pro who is a member here at BF, but is definitely not in your area. FWIW, I trust the mobile jobs as much as the ones in-shop. After all, my guess is that even BMW dealership wheel repair guys are probably hired mobile pros.

If you want to try DIY wheel repair, I suggest looking up the posts of Verts4Ever and tmack6.

edit: I see that Zooks already offered the AWRS contacts, oops, heh.

Last edited by Ilovemycar; 06-13-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
However, more to the point: it's not a very quick job, depending on what quick means to you. But just one wheel, one tiny gash, maybe they can finish within an hour? Just call them up, or send an email with a photo, and they can give you a pretty accurate time estimation.
On my car, two wheels already off the car took about 1 hr 20 minutes in total. I dropped them off, went for lunch, came back, and waited about 10 minutes.

I mean, you want to give the paint a little time to dry! They also told me that there was a minimum 1 day wait to do anything to the tires, but recommended a week before changing tires if at all possible.

FWIW,
George

Old 06-13-2012, 04:47 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Looks like I'm going with Rim Pro. Came up with them with some of my research and it was recommended by the tire shop and bmw dealer. Glad to hear some of you guys have had good results with them as well.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anavel View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Looks like I'm going with Rim Pro. Came up with them with some of my research and it was recommended by the tire shop and bmw dealer. Glad to hear some of you guys have had good results with them as well.
It is a proper refinish, tire off (and they have the correct machine to do runflats), if you damage is small and you have standard silver wheels, here is a good DIY that I have used on my wife's X5 and the wurth silver wheel paint matches perfectly - I do small stuff while the wheels are still on the car.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext43.shtml

Rob
Old 06-20-2012, 05:52 PM

Well I got it back. Looks great but it took them 17 weights to balance the tire. The most weights on any other wheel is 5, and this particular wheel only had 1 previously.

Now the question is do I feel vibration or is it all in my mind.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:45 PM

I would take it back with that much weight on it, either they balanced it improperly or the wheel has an issue - since your damage was minor cosmetic type damage, we can assume the wheel should have been good before they started, but they always true every wheel anyway and a tire just can't be off by that much.

Last time I had something like that happen, the person running the balancer didn't know what they were doing and was mounting the wheel incorrectly to the balancer. Either way, 1 weight to 17, something has gone wrong!