Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.

Sponsored by The Tirerack. Moderated by Gary@Tirerack.com

Old 06-13-2012, 06:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW and Mini
runflat with non Runflat

Gary, I know your stance about mixing runflat and conventional tires but I just talked to my local BMW dealer and he said there is no issues with mixing the 2 tires as long as they are on different axles. This lead me to ponder what we have been doing for years with conventional tires. When one pair wore out we replaced them with what were available at the time. many times we mixed hard compound tires with soft ones on different axles. This is no different than using a runflat and a conventional.

I have searched and searched and have found nothing except for opinions on this everywhere. Do you know of any published study findings about this topic?
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2012, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW M3
Whoever you spoke with at your local dealer is misinformed on this matter. Check with BMW of North America (or Germany if that is where you are from) directly if you would like BMWs actual stance on the matter. Tires have come a long way over the years, as have vehicles...do not mix.

The tire industry trade organization, the Rubber Manufacturers Assn. issued a service bulletin in 2010 (ref: TISB Volume 47, Number 1) that specifically recommends against mixing conventional and runflat tires, except in an emergency situation on a limited, temporary basis. There are many threads in other forums with reports of guys mixing in axle pairs and experiencing major handling issues. E90 cars are the most common BMW model to use run flats, so I would suggest a Google search with "E90 mixing run flats" if you're searching for those threads.

Here is a more generic article about mixing in general : http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=136

That being said, the Tire Police won't come and arrest you if you mix them anyway...

Last edited by Gary@Tirerack; 06-13-2012 at 07:01 AM.