Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 06-07-2004, 07:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy
I can't recall the exact details at the moment, but fire retardency isn't the only thing that distinguishes M and SA helmets... possibly something to do with the testing they do and number of certain types impacts it can take perhaps? anyone remember?
The differences are on the Snell Memorial Foundation site: http://www.smf.org

Basically, besides the fire resistant liner, the SA is allowed a narrower eye port, and it is subjected to an extra anvil impact in testing.
http://www.nissport.com
Old 06-07-2004, 07:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roadstergal
I agree with full-face. Especially if you ever drive in or ride in a convertible - I've gotten rocks chucked at my face in various situations. At speed, even a bug in the face would hurt.
Not just convertibles and open wheel cars. I was seriously considering one of the hybrids - full-face but no face shield. Then I heard of a lot of incidents with foreign objects hitting people in a closed car. One friend had his shield up and nearly lost his sight.
http://www.nissport.com
Old 06-07-2004, 09:15 AM
Driver

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy
I can't recall the exact details at the moment, but fire retardency isn't the only thing that distinguishes M and SA helmets... possibly something to do with the testing they do and number of certain types impacts it can take perhaps? anyone remember?
Yes, there is an extra test done to see how the helmet will hold up to multiple impacts with a smaller, hard object like a roll bar. Many M helmets would probably pass this test, but they're not checked for it.