Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > BMW News Articles and Announcements

BMW News Articles and Announcements
Read the latest BMW headlines and discuss them with your fellow bimmer enthusiasts!

Old 06-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
BMW Will Sell Cars on the Internet in 2013

tim330i
Administrator

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by tim330i

BMW selling cars via internet

BMW released the sales strategy for their new sub-brand "BMW i". BMW i encompass the all electric i3 coming in 2013 and the hybrid gas/electric i8 coming in 2014. In a new strategy BMW will offer the i3 and i8 directly, bypassing the traditional dealerships -

Quote:
Sales of BMW i products and services will be handled via an innovative multichannel model in selected markets. In addition to the established "stationary" sales channel i.e. an authorized dealer BMW i will also bring a mobile sales team, a Customer Interaction Centre (CIC) and internet sales hub on stream. All the new platforms will be fully interlinked, enabling customers to tailor their chosen contact channel to their needs and/or switch between channels at any time during the purchasing process, should they so desire.
Read the complete press release on the new BMW I sales strategy

If this strategy works for the i3 and i8 what are the chances BMW will start offering it's traditional cars in the same or similar fashion? If you could buy a car on the internet would you bypass your local dealership?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW-i-New-Sales-Structure-Press-Kit.pdf (29.5 KB, 437 views)

Last edited by tim330i; 06-13-2012 at 02:42 PM..
This article has been viewed 6667 times.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
No way would BMW canibalize its dealer network in exchange for selling cars on the Internet but they may find a way of doing both. Some folks prefer to skip the haggling prior to buying. Furthermore, without a dealer network, buyers will not be able to get their cars repaired, which would mean releasing codes and machines to independent repair centers, which in turn would kill the perception of exclusivity that the company aims to maintain. It's an interesting situation as they can't compete with VW group's (Audi) economies of scale and lower prices unless they grow (hence the iBrand and upcoming front wheel drive models) but strive to maintain afore-mentioned exclusivity. Going somewhat mainstream would be beneficial to us in that it would decrease the overall cost of ownership, including maintenance costs which is one main concern that all of us have. Regardless, it will be exciting to observe BMW's future direction as a car company.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:17 AM
it has arrived!

Mein Auto: 2013 bmw 328i xdrive seda
Dealers are going to love that.