Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-13-2012, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: X3, Z4, 335xi
Sunroof and fog light issues?

While camping, I accidentally ran the battery down to zero by using a power inverter. I was able to jump start the car with no problems and everything seemed fine.

In the next couple days, I noticed the sunroof behaving strangely. It does not follow directions at all. When I try to slide it back, the interior cover closes a little bit. Another push of the button, it closes a little bit more, about 2 inches at a time. The only thing I can get it to do correctly is tip up by pressing the switch in.

I also noticed that the fog lights no longer work as cornering lights when I turn the wheel, engage a turn signal or put it in reverse. They do come on with the fog light switch, so I know they are working.

Everything else seems to be working correctly. Is this something that happened from the battery being drained to nil? If so, how do I go about getting it resolved? Is this something only a dealer can diagnose?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Tim
Ads by Google
Old 06-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X3.0si
OK, with the sunroof - try to initialize it, that should fix it up.

The fog light thing, I don't know - there is a active front steering initialization...don't know if it would help, and can't find it right now, but it was something simple like, with the car on, turning the wheel back and forth ( lock to lock a couple of times ) but it's on one of the threads - someone will remember it and pass it on to you....but again I don't know if that would have an effect on the fog lights
Old 06-14-2012, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: X3, Z4, 335xi
Thanks a lot. I'll give that a try tonight. Not so much concerned about the fog lights as cornering lights, but I do want my sunroof back.

Thanks again!