Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i
Exclamation ENET Coonection Issue

Hello all, i have a F30 328i, I would like to get help with a connection issue with my ENET cable to car...

After I plugged everything in, ignition on engine off and RJ45 port to my computer, nothing happens... The computer don't seemed to detect any signal from the Ethernet... This happens to me 99% of the time, but strangely, I got the connection to work twice, after many plug n unplug, and ignition on off...

To avoid any damage to my car, I would like to see if I could get some hints to troubleshoot the connection problem I have... Any steps I should follow in particular to get the connection??

Many Thanks!!
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2015, 09:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 435i Gran Coupe
A few recommendations and guidelines...

Computer:

1. Disable all wireless connections
2. Turn off windows firewall for all types of networks
3. Disable any anti-virus software

Car:

1. If unsuccessful in connecting, turn off and lock the car. Come back and try again in 30 mins.
2. Turn on the engine to ensure all the modules are getting sufficient voltage provided to them (outside or with open ventilation of course)
3. Double check the cable to ensure it is physically secure on both the OBD-II and Ethernet ends.

Also, note that it will take 1-2 minutes for the computer to establish a connection with the car. Mine always connects in 2 minutes on the nose. You should have an ethernet connection icon with a yellow caution triangle when the connection has been established - prior to loading Esys.

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i (retired)
2010 Lexus RX350 AWD (hers)
Old 03-17-2015, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlink View Post
A few recommendations and guidelines...

Computer:

1. Disable all wireless connections
2. Turn off windows firewall for all types of networks
3. Disable any anti-virus software

Car:

1. If unsuccessful in connecting, turn off and lock the car. Come back and try again in 30 mins.
2. Turn on the engine to ensure all the modules are getting sufficient voltage provided to them (outside or with open ventilation of course)
3. Double check the cable to ensure it is physically secure on both the OBD-II and Ethernet ends.

Also, note that it will take 1-2 minutes for the computer to establish a connection with the car. Mine always connects in 2 minutes on the nose. You should have an ethernet connection icon with a yellow caution triangle when the connection has been established - prior to loading Esys.
Thanks Dwlink! Will definitely try that...

But one question, as plug the cable to my computer with the OBD side already connected to the car, should my computer detect the existence of the cable right away or it would detect after 2 mins or so?? Coz for me, it seemed like the computer didn't even know I plugged a cable to its Ethernet port, no blinking lights, nothing! Is that normal??
Old 03-17-2015, 03:43 AM

Mein Auto: 530xD F11
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6lei View Post
Thanks Dwlink! Will definitely try that...

But one question, as plug the cable to my computer with the OBD side already connected to the car, should my computer detect the existence of the cable right away or it would detect after 2 mins or so?? Coz for me, it seemed like the computer didn't even know I plugged a cable to its Ethernet port, no blinking lights, nothing! Is that normal??
No, thats not normal. If you plug in your cable into the notebook, that connector normally starts blinking after view seconds. You should be also able to see a network connection.

Do you have the opportunity to try another cable? Because it sounds that you have a problem with that.

Another possibility to check your connection with the car is to use the ZGWSearch.exe which is includet in EDIABAS. If you run this program as admin you should be able to read your carīs IP.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:54 AM

Mein Auto: 640i
How is the connection at the OBD II port? Firm and tight (lulz) or loose and wobbly? I had a very similar problem to what you described, and it turned out that the OBD II plug connector plastic protruded way too much over the pins, which prevented it from making good contact in the port. I trimmed it a bit with a sharp knife (about 3mm down), and it works perfectly now.

Jeez, this whole post is full of "that's what she said" punchlines.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:11 AM

Mein Auto: F30 320d xDrive -14
Ignition must be on when connecting the enet cable to the obd port.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:41 AM

Thanks all...

I have tried to do exactly as what Dwlink said earlier, but nothing happened... I mean not even blinking signal lights on my computer... My computer was not detecting anything plugged into it.

I have not tried to trim a bit of the plastic from the OBD port yet, will try that to see if it works...

Anyway, I just ordered another cable online. I am really hoping that its the cable but not my car... Actually, how do I test if the cable is good other than plugging it into a car?? Any idea??

Somehow, one thing still puzzling me is that how did I got the cable to work twice after many many times of plug and unplug and very long wait??