Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E90 320i
F10 DEAD after tried to update ZGW

Guys
I have read most of the update modules and then decided to update my EGS to have launch control.

Since it is highly recommended to update ZGW first therefore I tried to do that first.

So I have E-sys 3.26.1 with PSDZ 54.1 (full).

So I followed these instructions:

Go to Comfort Mode => TAL-Calculating
- Read and Save FA
- Activate FA
- Read and Save SVT Actual as SVT_ist
- Create an SVT Target
Under KIS/SVT Target Calculation Strategy, select Complete Flash
Select I-Step
- Do a TAL Calculation and Save as SVT_tal
Go to Expert Mode => TAL-Processing
Load TAL (SVT_tal)
Load SVT Target (SVT_soll)
Select "Read FA" button.
Check radio button for "read VIN out of FA"
On ECU Tab, uncheck let top box in column "All" (All checked boxes should toggle to unchecked)
On ID Base Row for ZGWi, make check boxes in blFlash, swDeploy, cdDeploy, and ibaDeploy columns.
Press Check software availability
Press Start and it will proceed with processing TAL to flash ZGW.

Flashing started and gave me error:
TAL-execution finished with status: "AbortedBYError". [C207]

I read somewhere that people get this error and I should connect direct to car IP address (via gateway URL).

So I reconnected E-Sys using car's IP address and tried it again.

I got the same error mentioned earlier.

I tried it third time and this time I clicked 'gateway' column other than blFlash, swDeploy, cdDeploy, and ibaDeploy columns.

It failed again and car is in transporter mode.

Now I cannot flash it any further as when I click

"read VIN out of FA" then it gives me error that there is no FA in VCM.

I have read that you can delete all the errors via tool 32.
So loaded tool32 and F01.prg but it gave me error connection problem.

INPA does not connect to it.

Does that mean that ZGW is refusing the connection to the car via INPA / Tool 32?

Any suggestions to bring the car back to life or flash ZGW?

PS: I used E-NET cable and it allowed me coding in the past. I have second laptop which has working inpa and PSDZ lite for coding only. Same inpa errors with that laptop.

Last edited by makkan00; 01-04-2015 at 04:13 AM.
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2015, 03:39 AM

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1420285119.261318.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	484674
Error
Old 01-03-2015, 04:51 AM

Mein Auto: F30 320d xDrive -14
Do you mean that you selected all other options on zgw except bl, sw, cd & iba? Normally you get out from this transport mode by just vo-coding some (any) module. I don't know what has happened here, your VCM (inside ZGW) should still have FA in it. Your odd move of selecting all those other option may have caused this. As I wrote via PM, I can check it today via team viewer.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap90500 View Post
Do you mean that you selected all other options on zgw except bl, sw, cd & iba? Normally you get out from this transport mode by just vo-coding some (any) module. I don't know what has happened here, your VCM (inside ZGW) should still have FA in it. Your odd move of selecting all those other option may have caused this. As I wrote via PM, I can check it today via team viewer.
Many thanks.

Bit of progress:

I used ICOM and used IP address of it to Flash EGS first. That brought the car back to life and I was able to communicate with it via inpa. Then I went for ZGW flashing. Once ZGW was flashed, I flashed all other modules except CIC (as 6NR is activated just by adding it to VO and I do not want to loose by updating it).
It all went through well and took max of 30 minutes (since CIC was not involved).

Now, car starts however following are problems:

1- Airbag error

And read the solution; (Thanks to SHAWN)
1- ACSMX.prg via tool 32 which gives me connectivity error
2- E-Sys transmitter --> connect --> 'ACSM verriegelung_schreiben. It runs but airbag error is still there.

2- So, I am not sure if my car is still in sleep mode. Why I said that?

I cannot connect to car via 'Connnection via VIN' as it shows 'NO ZGW available'

And same issues with Inpa and tool32. After flashing EGS, I was able to communicate with the car with inpa and I tried to wake it up by using
Functional job---> Steuren ---> FeTraWla and there were 4 options. Only Tra eus wakes the car up to half because wipers started on their one and navigation turned on.

Then I moved on to flash ZGW as I thought that would take care of sleeping mode. Car returned to normal and I continued flashing other modules.

All good so far but I cannot connect to it via vin (show no ZGW).

So anybody has any suggestion.

ap90500, I appreciate your help but I live in block of flats. And there is no internet next to car or inside

So I will have to do it myself.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:36 AM

Here is the photo showing 'no ZGW' in connection mode.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1420295721.320808.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	484684

And if I connect it directly by using it car's ip then I cannot read FA or any cafd files.

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1420295777.591370.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	484685

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1420295795.289429.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	484686

So any suggestions?
Old 01-03-2015, 06:51 AM

It is very hard to help you, without actually connecting to car and checking some things out.

Here are a few options you can try:
0. Lock the car, let it sleep and see if you can connect via enet & vin.
1. Load your FA from file, Read svt (ecu), turn on update vcm & msm, vo-code some ecu.
2. There is a VCM backup stored in CAS module, you can try to transfer it back to ZGW via esys VCM module. One of your errors though is about not able to connect CAS.
3. Use enet-cable if you try to connect via vin. There is also this zgw_search.exe in some ediabas folder, it will show your zgw ip address if you have enet cable plugged in. Use this ip to connect directly to gw url.

Always flash ZGW with ICOM, not ENET.

Last edited by ap90500; 01-03-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
It is very hard to help you, without actually connecting to car and checking some things out.

Here are a few options you can try:
1. Load your FA from file, Read svt (ecu), turn on update vcm & msm, vo-code some ecu.
2. There is a VCM backup stored in CAS module, you can try to transfer it back to ZGW via esys VCM module. One of your errors though is about not able to connect CAS.
3. Use enet-cable if you try to connect via vin.

Always flash ZGW with ICOM, not ENET.

Many thanks.
I have tried option one. I have loaded FA from saved files. And then activated it.
Then when I try to read SVT, it gives the error.
Then I loaded SVT file which I saved prior to flashing. It gives me list of all the modules and CAFD files are green.

Then I tried to read coding files (CAFD) of CAS and there is error. Photo is attached above which gives you impression that CAS communication is not happening.
It is happening with all other modules as well.

PS: After updating modules, I am using only ENET cable and not ICOM.
And I can connect to car only via connection through IP and not ZGM.

I may be wrong, but my assumption is that I cannot read FA (VO) or anything else, as I am connection to the car directly via IP address and not via VIN.

Kindly correct me if I wrong.

Re: Option 2, can you kindly elaborate it bit further, as how to do it exactly? So I can try.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:03 AM

Connection throug ip will say "connection established" even if you don't have enet cable plugged in. Use zgw_search.exe to find your zgw ip.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:54 AM

Thanks Ap90500. That is correct. Basically connection was not working and hence issues.

I let the car sleep and then I can connect it.

Car was not in sleeping mode but some sort of protection mode after updating the modules.

So few things for others to consider:

1- Use Icom for ZGW.
2- Let the E-sys make the update sequence for you. I updated just EGS and I had DSC and other errors. After updating the whole car (Except CIC), it resolved.
3- After updating the modules, let the car sleep before you start coding it.

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:35 AM

No problem.

One more thing:
If car has NBT, flash it and all most-bus modules via ENET. First flash other modules with ICOM, the flash NBT + most-modules with ENET.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:36 AM

Other than nbt which are other most modules?
Old 01-03-2015, 09:39 AM

At least Top hifi amplifier, dvd-changer, TCB. Probably there are some other modules too, can't remember which ones. Other way to do it is to first flash only ZGW with ICOM, then the rest with ENET (as a single flash).

I think that ZGW can be flashed with ENET by using dhcp-server on computer. I have just not tried it.

Last edited by ap90500; 01-03-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:58 AM
Token Master

Mein Auto: Coded F30
I flashed ZGW using ENET and via VIN with no issue. The whole car was flashed this way, one at a time and I only flashed what's needed. Some ECUs don't have updated boot loaders so I skipped it where it's not needed. I flashed my ECUs based on their prerequisite order, so ZGW first, then FEM_BODY(CAS) and so forth.

I also got into transport mode when I tried to flash NBT due to other issue. Transport mode data was deleted using Rheingold without going thru the whole pre-delivery setup.

With the car on transport mode, connection is still possible but VCM and most ECUs are offline as they were also in transport mode. I think the reason why you cannot connect via VIN was the car went to sleep. You can prevent this by switching your light switch to position I (you'll get a transient error in Rheingold about the timer being off)
Old 01-03-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokenMaster View Post
I flashed ZGW using ENET and via VIN with no issue. The whole car was flashed this way, one at a time and I only flashed what's needed. Some ECUs don't have updated boot loaders so I skipped it where it's not needed. I flashed my ECUs based on their prerequisite order, so ZGW first, then FEM_BODY(CAS) and so forth.

I also got into transport mode when I tried to flash NBT due to other issue. Transport mode data was deleted using Rheingold without going thru the whole pre-delivery setup.

With the car on transport mode, connection is still possible but VCM and most ECUs are offline as they were also in transport mode. I think the reason why you cannot connect via VIN was the car went to sleep. You can prevent this by switching your light switch to position I (you'll get a transient error in Rheingold about the timer being off)
Many thanks for your comment.
I kepy the light switch to position 1 during the flashing process.
Also, no matter what I did, I could not flash ZGW via ENET. It might be something to do with build date and ZGW model number. Mine has build date of May 2011.

Is there any other way of getting the car out of Transport mode other than using Rheingold?

In my case, INPA woke the car but it was partially up.

Clearly errors in inpa did not help as well.

I read that people say, flash the car with random TAL but there is no clear cut instructions on that?
Old 01-03-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
At least Top hifi amplifier, dvd-changer, TCB. Probably there are some other modules too, can't remember which ones. Other way to do it is to first flash only ZGW with ICOM, then the rest with ENET (as a single flash).

I think that ZGW can be flashed with ENET by using dhcp-server on computer. I have just not tried it.
Noted and saved.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:58 AM
Token Master

Mein Auto: Coded F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Many thanks for your comment.
I kepy the light switch to position 1 during the flashing process.
Also, no matter what I did, I could not flash ZGW via ENET. It might be something to do with build date and ZGW model number. Mine has build date of May 2011.

Is there any other way of getting the car out of Transport mode other than using Rheingold?

In my case, INPA woke the car but it was partially up.

Clearly errors in inpa did not help as well.

I read that people say, flash the car with random TAL but there is no clear cut instructions on that?
That was the first solution I read as well, but with the ZGW in transport mode, flashing or VO-Coding any ECU is not possible as it is not reachable (partially working). I would have used INPA if I had it, but Rheingold is all I have and it turns out just as capable.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:18 AM

Some F10's have zgw that can't be flashed with enet-cable right away. Some other then have ZGW than can be flashed without problems. If flashing F10 ZGW with enet cable fails, only thing that is needed is to vo-code one (any) module. This will wake the car up. There is no need to use inpa or rheingold.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Thanks Ap90500. That is correct. Basically connection was not working and hence issues.

I let the car sleep and then I can connect it.

Car was not in sleeping mode but some sort of protection mode after updating the modules.

So few things for others to consider:

1- Use Icom for ZGW.
2- Let the E-sys make the update sequence for you. I updated just EGS and I had DSC and other errors. After updating the whole car (Except CIC), it resolved.
3- After updating the modules, let the car sleep before you start coding it.

Thanks.
Since there was a flash abort many ecu's could still be in 'flash' mode (fault says transport mode} - this mode is set to prepare for all btld and swfl flash and then removed prior to cafd coding. If necessary the ecu's can also be set back to 'normal' mode by using ISTA, INPA, Rheingold, Tool32, or Transmitter.

When ZGW or other gateway is not responsive using the D-CAN channel can get you in - using the ICOM is one way as you mentioned. There are other ways using a D-CAN cable as well.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenieur View Post
Since there was a flash abort many ecu's could still be in 'flash' mode (fault says transport mode} - this mode is set to prepare for all btld and swfl flash and then removed prior to cafd coding. If necessary the ecu's can also be set back to 'normal' mode by using ISTA, INPA, Rheingold, Tool32, or Transmitter.

When ZGW or other gateway is not responsive using the D-CAN channel can get you in - using the ICOM is one way as you mentioned. There are other ways using a D-CAN cable as well.

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.
So that explains that my ZGW was in flashing mode and hence I could not make a connection.

What values do you use in transmitter to wake the car?

Lastly, you mentioned about D-Can. So would you set ediabas file back to obd interface and enter the port no. Interesting question would be, what would you use with D-Can cable?
Old 01-04-2015, 12:48 AM

What ingenieur wrote is true, but as I already wrote, getting out of flashing mode after F10+ENET+ZGW failure, only vo-coding of one module is required. This will switch modules to coding mode and the to normal mode. Actually running any TAL will do the trick, VO-coding is just an easy option. This should be done after first failed flashing, makkan tried his own tricks and this probably locked the gateway (tampering protection maybe?)

D-can cable can be used if ethernet gateway gets locked. It can be for example used to reset ZGW (with tool32) to reset ip configuration, so dhcp in network or computer can assign new ip for ZGW. It must be used via ediabas/std:obd or then as already said, ICOM has also dcan. Esys can't be used via dcan, AFAIK.

Last edited by ap90500; 01-04-2015 at 12:55 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:10 AM

Mein Auto: F10
E-sys can be used with D-CAN, but with OMITEC interface

Quote:
What ingenieur wrote is true, but as I already wrote, getting out of flashing mode after F10+ENET+ZGW failure, only vo-coding of one module is required. This will switch modules to coding mode and the to normal mode. Actually running any TAL will do the trick, VO-coding is just an easy option. This should be done after first failed flashing, makkan tried his own tricks and this probably locked the gateway (tampering protection maybe?)

D-can cable can be used if ethernet gateway gets locked. It can be for example used to reset ZGW (with tool32) to reset ip configuration, so dhcp in network or computer can assign new ip for ZGW. It must be used via ediabas/std:obd or then as already said, ICOM has also dcan. Esys can't be used via dcan, AFAIK.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:36 AM

Maszika, can you post a link to this interface? When I try to google it, I get only these cheap Chinese k-line/dcan-cables.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:52 AM

You can buy this only, when you have development contract from bmw...

Quote:
Maszika, can you post a link to this interface? When I try to google it, I get only these cheap Chinese k-line/dcan-cables.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maszika View Post
You can buy this only, when you have development contract from bmw...
Ok, so in practice esys can't be used via dcan
Old 01-04-2015, 03:00 AM

You can buy it too, but double price:

http://www.omitec.info/