Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: infiniti g35x, '13 328ix
European delivery, X1 and 328ix (2013)

Will the 2013 X1 be available for European Delivery in Sept or Oct? What about the 328ix?

I called BMW USA last month and they said the tentative date for ED for the 328ix and the X1 will be Sept 10 and Sept 24 respectively.

I called this week and they would not confirm this.

BMWConfig shows ED invoice prices for both vehicles. I've read of possible short supply on the X1.

I love the 328ix for 2013 and find the X1 also interesting due to its low height.

I want to make our reservations for our first Europe trip for Sept -Oct but an X1 may not be available in a timely manner for a test drive in the US in July. If I decide I want the X1 I may have to order one without a test drive.

Any information will help greatly.
Ads by Google
Old 06-30-2012, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: E84, VW TDI, E36
I am in the same boat. It will be my second BMW but first ED.

I want to do ED on an X1-M. The configurator is up, but I have no idea:
  • When I can start the order on the ED program?
  • When can I plan to pick it up in Munich? (ie, what dates do I plan my hopefully-September vacation/airfare?)
  • When can I test drive the car here in the US?
  • Will I have to order the car sight unseen?

I spent all morning searching the web for this information - no luck so far.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated...

-Erik
Old 06-30-2012, 12:28 PM

My salesman said there will be supply issues with the X1. They are available for ED but they will come out the dealer's allocation. This means they will probably charge a little under USA MSRP, which is a lot more than a bit over ED invoice. This will be several thousand more .

I knew I liked the 328ix after driving it. We are going to Europe in mid Oct so it was possible I wouldn't be able to test drive it before I had to get my order in. I found the X3 too big so I couldn't be sure the X1 would be acceptable.

On Wed I decided to do the ED on the 328ix and a delivery date of Oct 15 has been confirmed. They will allow you to pick 3 dates and the date I will pick it up was my first choice.

The price would've been about the same under this scenario. The 328 is a newer model with more features. That made this an easy call.

I would get my order in ASAP if you want delivery in Sept or Oct. I paid $900 over ED invoice.

Good luck
Old 06-30-2012, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: E84, VW TDI, E36
Sigh.

The price difference isn't that great between the smaller X1 and the 'real' (to US eyes) X3 as well.

A key plus for the X1 over X3 is the ED experience and its savings.

Now if that's gone, it's back to square one. The published mpg numbers between X1 and X3 aren't that different either.

Without seeing the X1 in person, I worry that it would look too small for the US market, and that it would be greeted with the view that "it's the smallest wanna-be BMW for cheapskates." IE, your city friends will chide - "What, you couldn't afford a 'real' BMW? You got the smallest, the cheapest, and even says '1' on it." I already get enough ribbing for my Golf TDI being "just a college-kid's car". Internally I've been battling the view that I can afford the extra few $K to get a 'proper' X3 at this stage of life, just get the bigger car, bigger than I really need. I know, how American is that.

Despite the fact that the X1 "might be" the right sized vehicle for my needs, when I see it.

It already made me nervous getting a fully-loaded M-version of the cheapest car, versus the pricing usually working out better on the bigger models where some/most of these items are standard.

Now to pay USA MSRP on top of that? Is this RIP to my X1 dreams?

Good luck with your 328ix - looks like a sweet car. If I didn't need the Sports Activity nature of the hatchback, I would likely do the same. To me the classic sedan shape just looks like how a great car should look. Enjoy it!
Old 06-30-2012, 05:44 PM

Another alternative would be the 1 hatchback as opposed to the X1. That would require waiting which I didn't want to do.

I currently have 2 Infiniti G35s which I love but the back seats do not fold down. We have no cargo ability of any sort and at least the rear seats in the 328 do fold down.

I have owned only sporty sedans over the years and that was why I was intrigued by the X1 due to its low height. The Audi Allroad was an interesting test drive but it did not have the handling or feel of the 328 or the Infiniti G.

I am unable to get used to the higher height of all the sportier SUVs. I guess it is what you are used to. SUV drivers probably have problems driving a sedan.

I still like the concept of the X1 with its 60 inch heighth.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: pending...
The 328i wagon and s28i X1 comparison is one that's been on my mind too. Trying to figure out how big or small the US X1 is without seeing one might be helped with the spec comparison.

Click image for larger version

Name:	X1_Front-Side_Specs.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	331233

s28i X1 weight = 3527 lb
Length = 108.7"
Height = 60.5"

Click image for larger version

Name:	3SW_SideView.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	331234

328i wagon weight = 3527 lb
Length = 108.7"
Height = 56.8"

Pretty much the same car. Looks like you lose a little in storage space with the X1, but when you build one up you're looking at about $5k less for the X1. We were all set to buy the 328i wagon until we found out about the X1... now what would be the reason to get the wagon? Possibly better handling with the lower ride height, but if you get the M-sport with stiffer springs and 18" wheels...

So seems like the decision should be do you want an X1 car-based "wagon" or do you want an SUV-based X3? A good comparison I would like to see is the X1 versus A3 ... same price, size, etc.

Last edited by stary; 06-30-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by stary View Post
So seems like the decision should be do you want an X1 car-based "wagon" or do you want an SUV-based X3? A good comparison I would like to see is the X1 versus A3 ... same price, size, etc.
A3? The A3 is tiny inside. We have one. The X1 is 8 inches longer than the A3; to visualize the X1 is about the same length as the Mazda3 hatch but has 6 more cubic feet of space with the seats folded down.

If space is the desire, I'm afraid the X1 comes up short compared to most cute utes that usually offer over 55-72 cubic feet with the back row folded.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:51 AM
General of the Universe

Mein Auto: Porsche Panamera 4S
he probably meant the Q3...
Old 07-02-2012, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: RIP 2011 X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus1 View Post
My salesman said there will be supply issues with the X1. They are available for ED but they will come out the dealer's allocation. This means they will probably charge a little under USA MSRP
Some dealers do make this claim when it's untrue, so in such cases it's also wise to check others for the same story. In past years it's been very unusual for ED's to come from dealer allocations; unfortunately it seems many just try to avoid the "hassle" for such a small over-invoice fee.

atticus' experience at 900 over ED invoice is fairly typical, and the X1 should be no different regardless of its newness to the US market. Some years back I ended up having to go nearly out of state to find a dealer willing to do this, but most are on board nowadays and realize it's a bonus sale.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: Hyundai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleskier View Post
Sigh.

The price difference isn't that great between the smaller X1 and the 'real' (to US eyes) X3 as well.

A key plus for the X1 over X3 is the ED experience and its savings.

Now if that's gone, it's back to square one. The published mpg numbers between X1 and X3 aren't that different either.

Without seeing the X1 in person, I worry that it would look too small for the US market, and that it would be greeted with the view that "it's the smallest wanna-be BMW for cheapskates." IE, your city friends will chide - "What, you couldn't afford a 'real' BMW? You got the smallest, the cheapest, and even says '1' on it." I already get enough ribbing for my Golf TDI being "just a college-kid's car". Internally I've been battling the view that I can afford the extra few $K to get a 'proper' X3 at this stage of life, just get the bigger car, bigger than I really need. I know, how American is that.

Despite the fact that the X1 "might be" the right sized vehicle for my needs, when I see it.

It already made me nervous getting a fully-loaded M-version of the cheapest car, versus the pricing usually working out better on the bigger models where some/most of these items are standard.

Now to pay USA MSRP on top of that? Is this RIP to my X1 dreams?

Good luck with your 328ix - looks like a sweet car. If I didn't need the Sports Activity nature of the hatchback, I would likely do the same. To me the classic sedan shape just looks like how a great car should look. Enjoy it!
You should be close 100+/- miles away from Canada. Go drive to a Canadian dealership. They have been in since 2011.

I flew back to Toronto a week ago. Test drove it. Cabin space and trunk space(seats up) are both smaller than the 3 touring and the new 2012 328i. Hight is just between X3 and touring. I'm 6'2 and I fit in front fine, and when I move to back seat, I have about 1-2cm in front of the knee left which is not bad. Back seat, 2 guys can fit. thats about it. trunk is a lot smaller than x3, and looks smaller than the touring and new 328i.

I'm looking for it because it's dirt cheap on ED and for the purpose of a mini family SUV(planning on starting a family within the year) so need child seat, stroller etc.

Ultimately I will trade in my 2011 Sonata prob in 3-4 years for a bigger SUV and treat the X1 as the commuter/sedan.

Personally if I can get this at ED+500-800, I'm good to go.

I went to Dallas dealership on Saturday, they had the X1 there(from NYC car show, only 2-3 in the US right now) and they said it was only there that day and then it moves on to another dealership or back to Georgia(had Georgia license).

It drives like the new 328i with a tad more road noise. Interior build is a bit cheaper close up is noticable cheaper than X1.

Hope this helps. But if you are serious about, and you are close to Canada. Take a drive. It will ease your mind. and to test drive, just say you are in the process of moving to Canada and need a car etc. No problem to test drive.

THIS IS NOT A SUV, think touring that is 5 inch higher.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
The X1 is based on the E91 Touring. Think of it as BMW's equivalent to the A4 Allroad or Subaru outback. It has SUV styling but is really a station wagon. Of course all the BMW SUVs could in many ways be considered station wagons but the X3 and especially the X5 are closer to regular SUVs.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
ED price over invoice

Car dealer are pathological liars. Short supply? Lie. If you are getting price 'over invoice', carefully check ED invoice from BMWconfig. I went to several dealers and ALL OF THEM tried to cheat by putting wrong (much higher) price as ED invoice. BE CAREFUL - do not sign anything before making 200% sure that the numbers are REAL, not made up or padded.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:16 PM

How much over ED invoice for X1

As of today: $500-900 over ED invoice (check ED invoice on BMW config or you will be cheated by several thousand - dealers likes to put fake ED invoice price that is several thousand higher)
Or wait 6 months: there is a big chance of quite severe global recession and then offer $300 over invoice. BMW will probably have some additional incentives, so maybe (if there will be a severe global recession) the price you pay MUCH lower if you order today....
Old 09-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Custom User

Mein Auto: X1
I wouldn't wait for the global recession. What if there's a big inflation and bimmers cost $1 million next year? I say buy now, profit later...

On a serious note, if you place the order now, you'll likely benefit from holiday incentives in a couple of months when you pick it up. And remember, no MACO or training fees for ED.

Last edited by the_fox; 09-28-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:58 PM

Inflation or deflation

'the-fox' made a good point re inflation - it is possible that US
dollar will loose value (it lost a lot already - I got 3 series 6 years
ago - 2013 3 series cost much more in USA due to weaker US$).
Bernanke thinks that to avoid Great Depression he needs to
print (electronically) as much $ as possible. Worse, every central
bank tries to print as much money as possible.
So it is your call - buy your BMW (or gold) now if you believe in inflation (can
happen) or wait if you believe in global recession/deflation (it can happen).
One thing is certain: late 2012, 2013 will be a wild ride ride for the global
economy ...
The bottom line: you have to decide to buy now or later, just do not
let dealer to cheat you with fake invoice prices.