Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 06-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550ix
(Hyperbole) Passenger Seat Explodes

OK, so I'm driving along today in my F10 with wifey in the passenger seat and all of a sudden I hear what sounds like an explosion. It was similar to what you hear when a large rock or block hits the car except it didn't have the associated metallic undertone. After checking around my wife tells me that she's now "sunk" somewhat in the seat and there's no lower back support from the bladder. It seems the damn thing is now fully deflated; I suppose other things might have happened to the seat as well but at the very least there's a spongy section in the lower back area where the bladder had been.

I immediately called up service (Bayside because they seem to be by far the most efficient in this neck of the woods) and the gal asks me what I'm bringing the car in for. I say: my passenger seat just exploded. There's a pause at the other end, then she asks "do you have any other concerns"? I nearly split my side laughing as I told her I thought that would be enough this time around.

I'll also ask them to check the underside of the car to make sure it wasn't something else that caused the noise but the bladder is definitely blown, a coincidence seems unlikely.

Oh, so my question: anyone else experience anything like this? Just so I have as much info as possible when I face the CSR inquisitor.

Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 06-14-2012, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Grand Cherokee
I love it. "Oh, is that all?!"

Current - 2004 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas - British Racing Green
Still Missed - 2008 535i - Platinum Grey / Beige Nasca
Old 06-14-2012, 11:16 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Usually when that happens to me, I just tell my wife to lay-off the tacos and mexi-fries. So far its worked.

- 2012 BMW 535i
- 1957 Chevrolet Belair
- 1966 Cadillac Deville
- 1978 Corvette
- 1979 Ford F250 w/460
Old 06-15-2012, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550ix
Thanks, good one (if I tried that I'd have my head handed to me).

When the service rep heard my story she said two words: "design flaw".

The part (lumbar support) has to be ordered, should be here Wednesday, don't know how easy or difficult it will be to install.

We'll see.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 335XI, X3, 535XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imothph View Post
Usually when that happens to me, I just tell my wife to lay-off the tacos and mexi-fries. So far its worked.
It was those refried beans that let out the "fracturing fart" ... LMAO .... hope there weren't any open flames..
spank: