Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 06-14-2012, 06:33 PM
Selling my soul to BMW!

Send a message via AIM to mt3ch
Mein Auto: 11 335d, 12 X5d, 13 EVO
Whats my 335d worth realistically???

So I placed an order for a '12 X5 35d and was going to put my E93 M3 up for sale or trade in. Decided to keep the M3 and possibly keep the 335d as my DD and hand the X5 off to the wife. The reason I want to hold on to the 335d, not only because of its awesomeness, is that I ordered the car new and its a 2011 Lemans Blue MSport which im sure will become quite scarce over the years thus providing excellent resale.

I cant realistically go with what KBB says on my vehicle so Im turning to the forum for some help to see if I should even pursue the sale right now?

2011 BMW 335D
23k miles
LeMans Blue
Black Leatherette (Im a huge fan of BMWs leatherette....after 60k miles, still looks like new)
MSport (Incl Rear PDC)

No iDrive - No NAV - No BMW Assist w/ BT - No HK sound - No Leather

I tend to not like many options except sports packages on my bimmers.

Car was purchased for myself, however my wife ended up loving it so its been female driven which is a good thing considering JBD is at 50% and i tend to get a little too enthusiastic when I take the car out myself.

Please feel free to share your concerns with my logic and comments.

Thanks,

Justin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	335d side.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	392.4 KB
ID:	329257   Click image for larger version

Name:	335drear.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	329258  

And a little Burger Tuning for my diesels.
Ads by Google
Old 06-14-2012, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Alpine White
KBB is crap. Your car will not be a great resale because of rarity IMHO. If you want to really know what it is worth, go to cars.com and see what the asking prices for similar cars are.

Also, check completed items on eBay to see what they actually sold for.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Selling my soul to BMW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pipes View Post
KBB is crap. Your car will not be a great resale because of rarity IMHO. If you want to really know what it is worth, go to cars.com and see what the asking prices for similar cars are.

Also, check completed items on eBay to see what they actually sold for.
Are you serious? I posted this on a board of Diesel enthusiasts figured you guys could chime in with specifics. Show me another LeMans MSport 335d that has sold recently.......I want to be

Old 06-14-2012, 07:21 PM

Not everyone wants the harsh ride of a sports package in a DD. You'll have to find the rare person that wants your rare car to get a premium.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Selling my soul to BMW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pipes View Post
Not everyone wants the harsh ride of a sports package in a DD. You'll have to find the rare person that wants your rare car to get a premium.
MSport is harsh? You sir are confused! Its the crappy RFT tires that make is harsh.....I am running on Michelin Pilot SuperSports and my wife drives it with no complaint.

The MSport was only offered in 2011 and that was my motivating reason of purchasing the "d" since I was also considering an E90 M3 and figured the MSport d was 90% of the M3. I was absolutely right!

I just know this car is rare and Im positive that the ordinary buyer would not appreciate the configuration and color of the vehicle, but Ive seen posts on this very forum of people wishing they had ordered this combo and how impossible it is to find a used one.

Ive owned many BMWs just as you have and honestly the harsh ride comment is a joke.......you DONT buy a BMW without sports package......PERIOD!

Old 06-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
As the owner of a non sport 335d I think having a sports package actually makes them more appealing for resale. It is the lack of other options that probably will make finding a buyer a little harder. But that is the case with something picked to ones tastes over picked to the general buyers tastes. I think the longer you hang onto it will just dwindle down the resale value though. I have no idea what it is worth today.

Btw it is a nice looking car. I really like how these look with the MSport and that is a nice color. I'd probably ordered something similar for myself.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:17 AM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
It is clear that some of us are more passionate about our cars than others!

The rarity of a given car will most certainly increase it's value, but only to those few that recognize that and add value for that.

Otherwise, you have a 3 series Diesel with some M features in a nice blue color, which is what 99% of buyers are going to see.

I'm a 1%er by the way!
Old 06-15-2012, 05:20 AM

hah ... yeah, it is worth a lot to the very few that will want that exact car but to everyone else they either will thing "pretty blue car" and perhaps buy it or they will think "if only it had option blah blah blah" and then perhaps be willing to compromise their wants to buy it. Only people who will pay a premium for it's rarity is those one percenters. If I was shopping for one of these used, I'd actually prefer a low optioned MSport but not quite sure how much my wants would dictate how much I'd pay.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:14 AM

"You sir are confused!"

Well, I guess you told him!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:41 AM
Selling my soul to BMW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
hah ... yeah, it is worth a lot to the very few that will want that exact car but to everyone else they either will thing "pretty blue car" and perhaps buy it or they will think "if only it had option blah blah blah" and then perhaps be willing to compromise their wants to buy it. Only people who will pay a premium for it's rarity is those one percenters. If I was shopping for one of these used, I'd actually prefer a low optioned MSport but not quite sure how much my wants would dictate how much I'd pay.

Not saying my car is at a premium, but I want to feel comfortable in holding on to the car.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3ch View Post

Not saying my car is at a premium, but I want to feel comfortable in holding on to the car.
Something else to consider is right now it seems some people are "freaking out" to get 335d cars with warranties to drive. If BMW up and starts selling another diesel sedan here then that "freaking out" I have a feeling will die down greatly. With "freaking out" comes premium selling prices. Now might very likely be the best time to recoupe the highest percentage of what you have in the car.

I would not mind seeing some pictures of your interior. I am curious how that looks with no leather since I too have no leather.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Pastafarian Extraordinair

Mein Auto: 335d
Your car will always be worth more to you than to anyone else.

Consider this. You are looking at two cars, both are the same color. One is fully loaded but doesn't have the M-sport package, the other has the package but nothing else.

How many people do you think would actually pay MORE for the M-sport car? Most, if not all, would pay less since the car has less features than the fully loaded one.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:49 AM

I think the question though is more of what % off original cost will each sell for and not will the one with M but nothing sell for more than the one without M and everything. From what I noticed my car being a base car with only the alarm and paint option has lost a lot more percentage of its initial cost than say a car just like mine but with a sports package and few common options.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
I traded my 2011 335d M sport, loaded and got $35K. 27K miles. I am in Boston, so your area may be different. I have the X5 35d now, this thing is huge compared to the 3er. I feel like I am driving the 2000 GMC Sierra I used to own. Of course, the BMW handles better and doesn't rattle.

Retired 2011 335d AW, M Sport, Premium and Convenience pkg, Heated Seats, Nav, HK, iPod/USB, smart phone. ED 8/31/10

Retired 2008 335i Coupe 6-speed Manual, Montego Blue, Sport, Premium, CW, Nav, PDC, AS, Shade, HD, Sat, Ipod/USB, Logic 7, CA
PCD 11/07

Retired 2004 545i Sapphire Black/Black 6-speed Manual, Sport.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:05 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: M3/x5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3ch View Post
So I placed an order for a '12 X5 35d and was going to put my E93 M3 up for sale or trade in. Decided to keep the M3 and possibly keep the 335d as my DD and hand the X5 off to the wife. The reason I want to hold on to the 335d, not only because of its awesomeness, is that I ordered the car new and its a 2011 Lemans Blue MSport which im sure will become quite scarce over the years thus providing excellent resale.

I cant realistically go with what KBB says on my vehicle so Im turning to the forum for some help to see if I should even pursue the sale right now?

2011 BMW 335D
23k miles
LeMans Blue
Black Leatherette (Im a huge fan of BMWs leatherette....after 60k miles, still looks like new)
MSport (Incl Rear PDC)

No iDrive - No NAV - No BMW Assist w/ BT - No HK sound - No Leather

I tend to not like many options except sports packages on my bimmers.

Car was purchased for myself, however my wife ended up loving it so its been female driven which is a good thing considering JBD is at 50% and i tend to get a little too enthusiastic when I take the car out myself.

Please feel free to share your concerns with my logic and comments.

Thanks,

Justin
Since you want some specific help I will give it to you. My car is also a 2011 335d with 15k miles, but it is fully loaded with every option except park distance control and harmon kardon. I know mine is worth about 36k on trade (and I owe pretty close to that so I am fine). Based on what I know, in the southeast region, your car is probably worth about 2-3 grand less than mine and your sticker price was much lower than mine. Reality is that you have lost less money than I have, but I would say you can pull 33-34k on trade if the car is very clean and all 4 tires are good. This is regional, but, for some reason, the 335d's are desired trade in cars right now and the dealers I have been visiting are saying they would love to have mine for trade (I am shopping for an SUV).
Old 06-15-2012, 11:09 AM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Power View Post
I traded my 2011 335d M sport, loaded and got $35K. 27K miles. I am in Boston, so your area may be different. I have the X5 35d now, this thing is huge compared to the 3er. I feel like I am driving the 2000 GMC Sierra I used to own. Of course, the BMW handles better and doesn't rattle.
35k seems right in the ballpark from what I am being quoted. Our cars are both loaded, but I have regular sport vs M sport (I am told that dealers will not give more for M sport vs. regular sport). However, you had 12k more miles so I say you got a fair trade value. I am getting quotes between 34k on the low end and 37.5 on the high end so I told the OP 36k was my value since that is the average of all of my trade quotes. My highest quote was from a non-BMW dealer....go figure.

Last edited by Alpine300ZHP; 06-15-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:15 AM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
I think the question though is more of what % off original cost will each sell for and not will the one with M but nothing sell for more than the one without M and everything. From what I noticed my car being a base car with only the alarm and paint option has lost a lot more percentage of its initial cost than say a car just like mine but with a sports package and few common options.
Unfortunately Snipe I learned this lesson a few years back when I purchased a stripper z4. When I went to trade it in no one would give me anything for it because it lacked the popular options and it was red which, as you know, has very limited resale appeal. However, I was told if it had just premium package I would have been in a much better position and sport and premium package would have more than paid for themselves on trade. With high end German cars it seems that strippers should not be purchased unless one intends to drive it until it dies or one leases it. They will not fetch anything on trade and they tend to get lowballed at auction. The only dealers that buy them are those buy here pay here shops. Ever since then every car I purchase is a sport/premium model at a minimum.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
Unfortunately Snipe I learned this lesson a few years back when I purchased a stripper z4. When I went to trade it in no one would give me anything for it because it lacked the popular options and it was red which, as you know, has very limited resale appeal. However, I was told if it had just premium package I would have been in a much better position and sport and premium package would have more than paid for themselves on trade. With high end German cars it seems that strippers should not be purchased unless one intends to drive it until it dies or one leases it. They will not fetch anything on trade and they tend to get lowballed at auction. The only dealers that buy them are those buy here pay here shops. Ever since then every car I purchase is a sport/premium model at a minimum.
When I got my car I was led to believe I had to buy something on a lot in order to get the Eco credit because it was ending soon. It did not end soon unless one defines that as ~2 years later but oh well. My car was the only one on a lot outside of one way up in Maine with every option possible and far more money than I was willing to spend.

I was though referring more to consumer wants than what I ran into when I tried trading my car in at the end of last year. Because what my friend ran into when I tried it was no one wanted to touch any 335d within the wholesale market so the offers were very low. Perhaps things have changed or perhaps this is just a bad region to be trying for a trade in on one. I plan to just drive mine until it dies, hoping the wife will let me turn it into target practice at that point.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:28 AM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
When I got my car I was led to believe I had to buy something on a lot in order to get the Eco credit because it was ending soon. It did not end soon unless one defines that as ~2 years later but oh well. My car was the only one on a lot outside of one way up in Maine with every option possible and far more money than I was willing to spend.

I was though referring more to consumer wants than what I ran into when I tried trading my car in at the end of last year. Because what my friend ran into when I tried it was no one wanted to touch any 335d within the wholesale market so the offers were very low. Perhaps things have changed or perhaps this is just a bad region to be trying for a trade in on one. I plan to just drive mine until it dies, hoping the wife will let me turn it into target practice at that point.
Well it is up to you what you do, but my experience in Florida has shown that the desire factor for the 335d actually shot up once they were no longer available as new cars. I am in a very different market than you are, but I would go get a new quote. I have a feeling you would get a more substantial trade for it now. My area has a few 335d's, TDI's and Bluetec's on the road and I figure that is why the resale is good here. Nevertheless, the resale was much worse just 6 months ago. BTW...I am now strongly considering an ML 63 AMG.....figured you would like that. As it stands yesterday, the wifey is 100% on the ML 63 AMG and is dropping the Rover like a hot potato. I do not mind because the 63 AMG is one bad a_ _ ride.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:37 AM

I know longer have the additional funds for a down payment on top of the trade in value due to buying "toy" car this past spring. So pointless for me to look into trade in values on the 335d since would not end up getting into anything better. Whole thing is a pretty sour subject for me, but did it all unto myself so at least know who to blame

I have yet to see the new ML63 in person, I did look at the prior generation though when I was still shopping CLS550/CLS63s. Probably a good thing I did not drive that ML63 since then I'd probably bought it and SUVs just are not my thing. If I were buy a car today it would be a new C63 assuming they are still offering the EDs on them like they were a few months back.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
I love that Le mans blue 335D. I think it is the best color available out there. I had a choice between silver and Red and since I had silver cars for the last 10 years, I decided to go out on a limb and go with the Red. I'm so happy I did.. I have fallen in love with the car and the color. With that said, I would still take the Le mans blue over it. It's the only color I would take over the red though.

I noticed you are in Allen, TX... I'm not far from you, I live in Lewisville, TX (Castle Hills).
Old 06-15-2012, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d M-Sport
How many miles? OP stated 23K presumably on odo, but >60K on leatherette. I like the blue.

2008 535xi: now in lease heaven
Old 06-15-2012, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 650i Gran Coupe
Based on my recent experience in attempting to sell/trade my loaded Sport (non M) 2011 335d, I'd guess it's worth $32-34K.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Driving on instruments

Mein Auto: '11 E92 M3
I was quoted about $32K for a trade-in on my fairly unloaded 'd today at the BMW dealer. I'm tempted to step up to an M3, but losing about $13K in less than a year means I should keep it a lot longer.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:13 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Something else to consider is right now it seems some people are "freaking out" to get 335d cars with warranties to drive. If BMW up and starts selling another diesel sedan here then that "freaking out" I have a feeling will die down greatly. With "freaking out" comes premium selling prices. Now might very likely be the best time to recoupe the highest percentage of what you have in the car.

I would not mind seeing some pictures of your interior. I am curious how that looks with no leather since I too have no leather.
I assume that freaking out equals bubble. Rarely is it a good idea to guess the end of a bubble, but sometimes there are winners. I prefer to go with good value.