Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-14-2012, 07:14 PM
RC Car Speeder

Mein Auto: BMW X3,850i, 1969 GTO,
Lightbulb 2007+ Xenon Headlamps on a 2004 X3 for special LED Angel Eyes Project?

Hey everyone I have the idea of doing a special project that mainly involves getting angel eyes put on my X3 but I'm wanting to use special LED bulbs so I can control them to any color. I'm trying to research if those headlight housings would fit my 2004 X3? I saw one topic just recently where it was mentioned in a post slightly that it would but i'm curious if anyone else knows or if it has done this since I hate to spend the money and to discover it wouldn't work Another small issue I'm keeping in mind is if I need to use Xenon components to my year since the 2007+ will not work which if they don't installing the 04s to the LCI housing probrably won't be a big deal for me. Anyones help is appreciated!
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2014, 12:15 AM
RC Car Speeder

UPDATE 8/8/14: I have since installed The Xenon 2007+ LCI headlights and they are perfect! Fitment for them are excellent. Also for bonus I ended up going beyond and added LED Color Angel eyes, They are changeable to any color I choose with the choice of cool white and warm white LEDs for some street legal options. I can't believe how much this improved the look of my X3 with it being a 2004. It took a long time to install everything but it was worth it.

Installing LCI Xenons for 2004-2006: If you are interested in installing Xenons that are LCI based for you X3, I will detail the install that I did for mine. There will be some wire work involved along with reprogramming. If you don't know how to do this stuff or don't feel comfortable, I don't recommend doing this. You could try asking a friend to help who knows how to wire.

Have a 2007-2010? You can follow along with these instructions and you should be fine but there might be a few procedures that are different.
Warning! While I have tried to make sure that everything I describe for my install is accurate, there are no guarantees if a component of yours is damaged or doesn't work! Do your research and make sure you cross check every wire to make sure it goes where it belongs. I am not responsible if your car turns into a Smore Blizzard! Ok being serious, I'm not responsible if you get injured by your Xenons. Remember they are high voltage!! You can get shocked badly by them. Be safe!

Ok now that the disclaimer stuff is out of the way. You'll want to figure out what parts and components you will need. This will help you figure out how much it will cost you and help you decide if doing this install is worth spending money on because it is not cheap. Part requirements might vary with each year X3. I'm basing this guide on my 2004 Halogen X3 with a default non sport bumper. Your price for parts could vary by state or country.

Note that it may not be possible to get the Adaptive feature working! There are 2 additional modules required and it is unknown if the one under the dash will interface with the 2007+ adaptive module located under the headlight and I don't know if a 2004-2006 Headlight adaptive module can even connect with a LCI headlight. That means that if you have 04 to 06 xenon's already and you have the adaptive feature, you might run into a problem with not being able to have adaptive working if you install the LCI headlights. If anyone has this feature already, please share some pictures and information on the connections and modules. I'll also look over wire diagrams and check anything that's different.

Required components:
A Pair of Headlights. The best deal I could find for these was for $411 for each side on eBay from the seller start245 (Auto Leveling Up and Down is standard with Xenons Adaptive or not).
Xenon LCI headlights non Adaptive 63123456043 and 63123456044 $411 Each side
Xenon LCI Headlights Adaptive 63123456045 and 63123456046(Adaptive is where the lights move Left and Right with your Steering wheel.) I found them on eBay for $1000 for both pairs
*If the headlights you buy do not include the Bracket headlight that slides on the bottom, you will need to order that separately as the halogen ones will not fit.

Bracket Headlight 63126939199 and 63126939200

The 2007-2010 Xenon retrofit kit. Non-Adaptive 63130443702 $589.52 From ECS Tuning
Xenon retrofit Kit. Adaptive 63130443704 or 63130443703??
If you plan on doing adaptive, make sure you find out which Kit is the right one. There are two different ones. One might be for adaptive with just halogens only? Your dealership might be able to find out.
*By the way for an interesting side note as of 2013, you can't order and buy the Xenon retrofit kit that was meant for Pre-LCI 2004-2006 X3's in the US anymore, That means in a way that you have no choice but to use the LCI retrofit kit but I'm not sure how long that will be kept available in the US so for anymore mulling on doing this install I would do as soon as you can. The LCI headlights are nicer anyways
The Retrofit Kit will include
A Pair of Ballasts
A Pair of Xenon 1DS bulbs( Thank goodness they included these)
New hardware( Screws for mounting the headlamp tracks that the headlight slides on)
Complete Wire harness for the Xenon Headlights and the auto leveling sensors( Adaptive will likely include additional wires.)
Sensors with mounting hardware for auto leveling.
Tie wraps

Headlight Control Module Unfortunately 2004-2006 will need a new Light module for all the Xenon features to work properly. My auto leveling do not work as of writing this How to because my LCM does not appear have the circuits that allow it to work. That does mean when you get the new one you need to get it coded. You can still use Xenon's but if your lights are not in a ok position you'll need that new LCM to get them moving to center. From what I looked up there are 3 different modules,
The normal Halogen Non- Xenon Module, 61313448670
A Xenon LCM with auto leveling only 61313448672 ,(This might have been used with halogens that use manual leveling but I can't confirm. Not sure if this feature was ever offered in the US.) If you have Manual leveling you might not need to replace your LCM
Xenon LCM With Auto Leveling and Adaptive Headlights 61313448672
It is very important that you know what LCM, Retrofit kit and which pair of headlights you choose because it will depend on what options you want. If you want adaptive then make sure you get the components that support it. Getting a LCM that supports adaptive but not the headlights will cause issues as your LCM will be looking for the left and right motors!
• Adaptive headlights need the adaptive head light control unit and the Adaptive control unit that's located near the headlight. However it is not known if these will work with the 2007+ headlights. Make sure it's included in the adaptive Retrofit kit. If it's not, it needs to be ordered if doing Xenons with the adaptive feature. 61356934837 (Located under dash?)
• Adaptive control unit near headlight 63126939069 or (63123448962 2007-2010 module)
As I stated above the new LCM you buy will need programming done since it holds the VIN number and I'm pretty sure the mileage even. So if you know how to the EasyDIS or GT1 tools then I think that will work or you'll have to have the Dealership or a independent shop do it. If you don't get it programmed and you plug it in your car will not like it.
Headlight Switch supporting Xenon 61313405709 (used with adaptive or not)
Pin Wire ELO contact sockets So BMW thought they do something special when the LCI X3 came out…...…...not just a new different engine but pretty much they changed the shape of the damn plugs for the headlights! That pretty much means that our round connector plugs used on our original headlights are no good. Halogen or Xenon, the connectors and the round plugs must be changed to the new ELO ones. This to me was the biggest PITA of the retrofit project since I had to find the right plugs and it took me a full month to get them.
ELO Pin Wire 1.5 61138364836
ELO Pin Wire 2.5 61138364846
• You might need new rubber boots for these contacts too. Otherwise you'll have to reuse and trim your existing ones.
2 Headlight socket Plugs This plug was hard to find!! 61136931864 around $13

So here is a review of what is needed.
A Pair of Headlights
Possibly new Headlight Brackets
The 2007-2010 Xenon retrofit kit
A new LCM
Programming the LCM
Pin Wire ELO contact sockets
2 Headlight socket Plugs

I will post up the tear down and where I ran my wires soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smaller.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	457418   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140731_215518.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	457419   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140731_215932.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	457420   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140803_213555.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	457421   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140808_215700.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	457422  

Name:	20140731_220005.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	457423  

Last edited by X3RCGTOrider; 08-21-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:15 AM
RC Car Speeder

Added the wire pinout diagrams that show the 2007-2010 headlight connections to the 2004-2006 X3 LCM.
Wiring
So if you got almost all of the parts and you're ready to dive in, the first step is to take the X3 apart to get to certain areas of the car. This will allow us to get our wires ran that we need for the Xenons.
Note: I ran my wires in a different place compared to OEM. I didn't want to route them in the way they were factory ran since it did involve tearing almost the whole interior apart and the guide that the dealership used was very vague. My steps of where I ran mine will simplify the install and shorten the install time.

1.You'll want to start off by first removing cover panels. The one you first need to remove is the Black under panel that is under the dash of the steering column. It's the one that the brake (and your clutch if you have a manual) sticks through. There are three front black screws that hold it up that need to be removed. Next there is a clip in the back next to the Gas pedal that needs to be rotated and removed. After that when you drop the panel you need to unplug or remove the dome light that is attached to that panel.
Be sure to move the seat back to give room for removing this panel. Set the panel aside in a careful spot outside the car.
Next we'll move to the front hood area. I suggest laying a soft fabric like a towel or blanket that protects the painted areas like the fenders of the car.

2. There is a Black cover up near the driver's side hood hydraulic hinge that needs to be removed. It is held by 4 torx screws. After you get the cover removed you can get started on running wires.
If you take a look inside the footwall area of inside the car you'll see a white pocket opening that sticks out to make a hole that goes up. That hole goes up into the wire relay box under the hood of the cover that you pulled off. We will run the wire harnesses through there from the relay box so that the plugs from the harness get there. You'll need to use a fish like rod stick and have it go up that pocket opening so that you can pull your wires from the relay box I suggest not using a metal stick. You will then need to decide where to take the wires into the box, you can fish them through a rubber grommet that has an area sealed off that you can cut but it can be tricky getting them pulled through, there is a cap you can remove and take the wires through instead if you like it to be easier. It is best to run the main harness wire from the hood area to through that grommet and then finally down to inside the footwall with that fishing stick. Make sure you run the harness with all the tiny plugs on the ends and the wires are the same lengths. The one with different lengths and sizes plugs stays in the engine area
If your having trouble getting the rod from the front to the rear and its not working, you might have to run it the opposite way. It was how I actually ran it but that means you will have to take the 3 wires out of the leveling plug because it won't fit when taking it to the rear through that panel cover.
If your successful in getting your wire fished, you can take it along the metal frame and to a spot where there is a opening that goes up to a large opene unused area in the hood area.

3. Next you need to tear into your front end. You'll need to take off the cover panel that sits over the kidney grills. It has the foam padding on it for the hood to touch it. There are 4 Torx screws holding it You'll use the T30 torx to remove those screws.

4. Next up is the center piece that covers the radiator. It connects to the airbox where your filter is located. You will need to take out the 4( Mine has only 3?) Philips screws holding that piece on. You'll need to unlatch the air box filter cover and slightly move it to allow that center piece to be removed.
Now it's time to run our main wire harness. The best route to get your wires to the other side is over the top of the radiator. There's a spot where the wire harness can sit and be obscured from everything. If you have another place you rather run your wires through, you can do that. One thing to note is that the wire harness was meant to be run from the passenger side.( For LHD. Its opposite for RHD) That means the spot where the leveling sensor and the other legs on the harness split MUST be ran over to the passenger side so that you have enough length for the leveling sensor wire. You will have to double back your driver's side headlight wires back over to the driver's side. Not doing this right will cause problems. So keep that in mind when staking your wires out.

For the rear level sensor wire that's separate from the main harness it will run to a different location. It will require that your under the car which will mean the car needs to be raised or jacked because you need to begin running sensor wire from underneath. This part will be tricky. If you have your car jacked you will need to remove the rear right wheel.( Left rear wheel if RHD X3). You will need to take a fishing stick and run it from the front right side of a plastic panel covering the gas tank and have it go all the way through to the rear. Remove some bolts from the plastic panel to get more space for the rod to move. If you get to the rear, then get the rod and tape the loose plug contacts of the single wire harness sensor to around the rod. Make sure nothing sticks out or it will get stuck. The plug stays at the rear A-Arm. Pull the rod carefully but with some pull through the cover to the other side.

To mount the sensors, you will need to get behind your tires to get to them. That will mean either putting your car on a lift (What I did) or jacking your car up and removing the wheel off. You'll need to do this for your passenger front (RHD will remove the left side instead.) The rear should be off already from earlier. You will see a hole where a wire is running through already. Take the plug through there and have it hang down near the A-Arm.

5. By now you should have all your wires at least ran out to where they belong. The next step is now to start removing the headlight components. Removing the headlights from some X3's will require the bumper to be completely lowered to get clearance.(Most cases the Aero bumpers needs to be completely removed) Some OEM stock bumpers like the more Black plastic finish that my 2004 has don't require it( I simply loosened the top bolts holding it near the grills which gave me enough space to remove the headlights.
This might be hard to explain so you can easily watch a video that is available for download. There are two Torx bolts holding the headlight. You'll need to remove those and set them aside. Next there are two in holding the headlight in from behind near the bottom of the headlight. For the passenger side where the washer fluid tank is you'll need to losen the tank and just move it aside to get to the back screws to take the passenger headlight out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bi Xenon Wiring for 2004 with 2007 headlight componentsjpg Color code.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	457758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corrected pinouts for 2004 using 2007 Xenons color codes.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	457759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bi Xenon Wiring for 2004 with 2007 Angel eyes Color code.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	457760  

Last edited by X3RCGTOrider; 09-30-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:16 AM
RC Car Speeder

Reserved.....

Last edited by X3RCGTOrider; 08-22-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3RCGTOrider View Post
UPDATE 8/8/14: I have since installed The Xenon 2007+ LCI headlights and they are perfect! Fitment for them are excellent. Also for bonus I ended up going beyond and added LED Color Angel eyes, They are changeable to any color I choose with the choice of cool white and warm white LEDs for some street legal options. I can't believe how much this improved the look of my X3 with it being a 2004. It took a long time to install everything but it was worth it.

Looks very nice! Can you detail on what you had to do the conversion?

Jeff
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Old 08-10-2014, 12:26 AM
RC Car Speeder

Updated post above on a list of components. Got a basic writeup on running the wire harness the easiest way. I'll get details on doing the headlight plug contacts soon.

Last edited by X3RCGTOrider; 09-30-2014 at 11:07 PM.