Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

View Poll Results: Which tint would you prefer?
Uper Optic (jet black and more reflective than standard tint) 30% on front & back door 10 25.00%
Ceramic lifetime tint (more of a smoke color) - 30% front & back door 23 57.50%
Ceramic lifetime tint ( more of a smoke color) - 30% front door, 15% rear door 7 17.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Festaholic

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport
F10 TINT vote

Please vote and post if you have any comments on your tint job. Would you do anything different, or are you perfectly happy with what you have.

I know most BMW owners love the Huper Optic tint; however, I have mixed feelings about the black reflective look. I have a titanium silver 535, and wonder if a smoked tint color would look better than the reflective black Huper Optic.

Last edited by BigDeep1; 06-16-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 06-17-2012, 07:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xdrive
I went with 3M's Crystalline 70. I love it! It reduces the heat noticably. Also, it is not very dark so I won't be getting pulled over for tints. I highly recommend this film, if you want great heat reduction without the hassle of the police.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsilo View Post
I went with 3M's Crystalline 70. I love it! It reduces the heat noticably. Also, it is not very dark so I won't be getting pulled over for tints. I highly recommend this film, if you want great heat reduction without the hassle of the police.
I agree. That is the same one I have on my windshield. Very light but it does reduce the heat. I have 3m carbon on my side windows.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:42 AM
Festaholic

Has anyone added a strip of tint at the top of the windshield? I know that is a little old school, but it definitely has driving benefits by blocking annoying sun rays at certain times of the day.

I know that placing anything below the stem coming from the rear-view mirror can interfere with the wiper sensors and others.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:55 AM

The tint goes on inside the car and shouldn't interfere with wiper sensor. My friend has a stop of tint on his Acura windshield, he loves it.
Also, loving the Crystalline more and more.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:35 PM

*strip (silly autocorrect)
Old 06-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Festaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsilo View Post
The tint goes on inside the car and shouldn't interfere with wiper sensor. My friend has a stop of tint on his Acura windshield, he loves it.
Also, loving the Crystalline more and more.
Sure, there is no doubt that tint is applied on the inside of the glass . There is a sensor that supposedly looks down the glass, but that sensor is located on the inside bottom stem of the rear view mirror. A tint brow would not interfere with that.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Festaholic

I just got my tint done at a shop that carried the Llumar ceramic tint and Huper Optik. I got to see samples first, and the Llumar has the more smoke color while the Huper Optik has an almost earth type tone. The Huper 30% tint claims to reject 61% of the suns heat, while the Llumar claims to reject only 50%. It would take a Llumar 5% limo tint to have 61% rejection of the sun heat (like the Huper 30% film).

Anyways, the guy there said that he thinks the Huper Optik would look better on the shadow trimmed windows. Of course that comes at a $120 premium over the Llumar tint. The other down side is that I would have to use the 30% Huper tint on the rear window. I really wanted to have a 15% tint on the rear glass. I decided not to do a tint brow on the front because legally I could only get 2.5" added (Texas can only have a max of 5" of tint, measuring from the top of the windshield).

I got the car back, and I must say that I am not really that impressed. I think that if I could do it again, I would pick the Llumar 30% for the side windows and the 15% on the rear. This Huper 30% just looks real weak in the sun. I am sure it is great for heat rejection, but I like the dark bold tint look. It looks like a 50% tint to me
Old 06-20-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeep1 View Post
I just got my tint done at a shop that carried the Llumar ceramic tint and Huper Optik. I got to see samples first, and the Llumar has the more smoke color while the Huper Optik has an almost earth type tone. The Huper 30% tint claims to reject 61% of the suns heat, while the Llumar claims to reject only 50%. It would take a Llumar 5% limo tint to have 61% rejection of the sun heat (like the Huper 30% film).

Anyways, the guy there said that he thinks the Huper Optik would look better on the shadow trimmed windows. Of course that comes at a $120 premium over the Llumar tint. The other down side is that I would have to use the 30% Huper tint on the rear window. I really wanted to have a 15% tint on the rear glass. I decided not to do a tint brow on the front because legally I could only get 2.5" added (Texas can only have a max of 5" of tint, measuring from the top of the windshield).

I got the car back, and I must say that I am not really that impressed. I think that if I could do it again, I would pick the Llumar 30% for the side windows and the 15% on the rear. This Huper 30% just looks real weak in the sun. I am sure it is great for heat rejection, but I like the dark bold tint look. It looks like a 50% tint to me
Why dont you ask them to redo it and charge you the difference. I had a similar issue. I wanted darker tint then I originally got and the company said no problem and didnt even charge a removal or installation fee just the difference in price of the type of tint.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:27 PM
Festaholic

Ok, I got to see this tint in direct sunlight/daylight. I must say I am impressed with its performance in the sun. It stays at a 30% look in the sun, where most 30% tint would look lighter. I guess the tint does what I would want, where in the evening, it does allow great visibility (in and out).

Keep in mind that these post tint pics are without a sun-visor on. The whole album link is at the bottom of the thread.

BEFORE TINT:

AFTER TINT:

https://picasaweb.google.com/PHARMDPJT/TINTOn535iSport#

2011 535i Sport (Prem 1, 2)
Old 06-21-2012, 02:02 PM

To me thats a nice looking tint job. I wouldnt change it
Old 06-21-2012, 11:31 PM
Festaholic

One thing I have noticed with the Huper Optik tint is that they act like sun tinting glasses. They seem darker in sunlight, and become noticeably transparent in the evening and at night. At night time, it is much easier to look inside the vehicle from a distance.

Last edited by BigDeep1; 06-21-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 AW 535i
This looks great. I am now leaning 30% in the rear over the 15% I had originally wanted. Too bad Utah requires 50% up front.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550xi
What would be the approximate cost to tint, sorry as I am new to this.

Also does anyone know what is considered legal tint limit for front side windows ?

I have carbon black f10 so I am assuming the uber optic would be a closer match, any cb owners have other tint, pics pls

I know too many questions please help a brother out.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-F10 View Post
What would be the approximate cost to tint, sorry as I am new to this.

Also does anyone know what is considered legal tint limit for front side windows ?

I have carbon black f10 so I am assuming the uber optic would be a closer match, any cb owners have other tint, pics pls

I know too many questions please help a brother out.

Here ya go. CB w/shadow trim on my baby. Here in SoCal front tint is illegal but so is front side windows (guess I'm a law breaker cause I got the front side!). My tinter would not put a front tint on my car. But with the CB leather interior - gotta have it on the front side windows.

If I really wanted a front window tint - I could've gotten it somewhere else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0257.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	330328   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0259.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	330329   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0258.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	330330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0260.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	330331   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0261.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	330332  

Clear Bra
Convenience Pckg
Premium Pckg 2
Michelin Pilot SS
Sirius Sat
Sport Automatic

Old 06-25-2012, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550xi
Looks cool - thanks
Old 06-25-2012, 12:17 PM
Festaholic

2008550i, sharp looking car. Is that 40% all around?

Old 09-22-2012, 01:58 PM
Festaholic

Quote:

I have had this expensive tint for 3 full months now. I can confidently say that I wish I went with the Llumar tint instead. I honestly think it would have looked better (more of a smoked look). I have seen that smoky reflective tint on MBs, and they look good.

To make matters worse, I have a TON of bubbles on my rear tint. I have had multiple cars tinted, and have never had this issue. I know Pro Tint will fix this, but it is still time consuming and disappointing.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:27 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to rok8man
Mein Auto: BMW 535i
Quote:
I have had this expensive tint for 3 full months now. I can confidently say that I wish I went with the Llumar tint instead. I honestly think it would have looked better (more of a smoked look). I have seen that smoky reflective tint on MBs, and they look good.

To make matters worse, I have a TON of bubbles on my rear tint. I have had multiple cars tinted, and have never had this issue. I know Pro Tint will fix this, but it is still time consuming and disappointing.
I am thinking of going to Pro Tint for my '10 535i. My car color is Carbon Black. How long did you have to wait to get your tinting done? Let us know how it goes for you since the tint is bubbling up for you which is a grave concern for me.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Festaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rok8man View Post
I am thinking of going to Pro Tint for my '10 535i. My car color is Carbon Black. How long did you have to wait to get your tinting done? Let us know how it goes for you since the tint is bubbling up for you which is a grave concern for me.
Well, what I noticed is that it bubbled when I cleaned the windows. I used the proper non-ammonia glass cleaner. I also waited about 3 months before I cleaned the tinted windows for the first time. It seems that when I used the slightly moist towel with glass cleaner, that the tint bubbled A LOT. It went away after a couple of days. Honestly, I have never seen that many bubbles after a fresh tint job. I was surprised when they said it would go away on its own. IMO, they should have worked those bubbles out from the beginning.

Again, I kind of wish I saved the $100 and went for the better looking smoked lifetime ceramic tint. Keep in mind that this ceramic tint is better than the tint that Pro Tint uses to apply on all the new dealer cars that they do.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Festaholic

Quote:
Ok, I got to see this tint in direct sunlight/daylight. I must say I am impressed with its performance in the sun. It stays at a 30% look in the sun, where most 30% tint would look lighter. I guess the tint does what I would want, where in the evening, it does allow great visibility (in and out).

Keep in mind that these post tint pics are without a sun-visor on. The whole album link is at the bottom of the thread.

https://picasaweb.google.com/PHARMDPJT/TINTOn535iSport#

Sorry that the link to my tint pics are not working. This one should work:

https://picasaweb.google.com/PHARMDP...I2s8Izb697PCA#

Old 10-08-2012, 12:04 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to rok8man
Mein Auto: BMW 535i
Well the HO tint looks good. I am sure they will try to talk me out of Llumar as well. I dont know what will look better with the Carbon Black. I see you got yours from Classic BMW. Thats where I got mine as well and its only five minutes from my home. I have yet to take them up on their unlimited car wash offer
Old 10-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Festaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rok8man View Post
Well the HO tint looks good. I am sure they will try to talk me out of Llumar as well. I dont know what will look better with the Carbon Black. I see you got yours from Classic BMW. Thats where I got mine as well and its only five minutes from my home. I have yet to take them up on their unlimited car wash offer
Lol. Good luck!

I forgot to answer your question on how long. I got a ride. They took about 2-3 hours.

Here is another thread with info. I posted info starting at post #17

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=572828