Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-16-2012, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: 04 330cic
Question Misfire?

Today while driving my 330cic (2004) I suddenly noticed the car resisting me. When trying to accelerate, the AT would shift into first making the problem even worse and nearly stranding me in the middle of the beltway. Luckily, we got it to a BMW dealer, but it had fixed itself. The guy told us to come back if a light came on. We went about thinking that the problem had fixed itself, but after leaving it parked for a bit, it started again, and this time the check engine light came on. Luckily we were not that far from the dealer so we put the hazards on and drove back. This dealer has some funny policies with pricing which I did not care for so I carefully drove it home.

What is the problem? I think one of the cylinders misfired but I am not sure. Could this be a problem due to gas as it felt the car was not getting enough gas to move along.

Thoughts?

Last edited by RPMFUN; 06-16-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 06-16-2012, 02:54 PM
pconwell

Mein Auto: 2004 330 ci
There are a lot of things that could be wrong. The first thing you need to do is figure out what codes are being thrown. Go to your nearby autozone or any other car parts type place and ask them to read your codes for you.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: 04 330cic
Smile Fixed

Thanks!

Turns out that JEmric @ Bimmerforums had a post with the exact same symptoms.

The next day my car wouldn't start at all.
I found a great BMW tech who came to my house and scanned the car to confirm my thoughts, that my fuel pump had died. (My car got me home - what a great car.)
Ordered a new one from Max @ OEM and while I was at it ordered new control arms / sway bar links & a cabin filter.
The parts arrived the next day (yesterday) and so today my tech came to the house and installed everything.
The car is running like a champ.
Since it has 97k I've decided that next week I am going to have the following done: CCV / Plugs / Trans Oil / Diff Oil / VCG / OFHG / PS Fluid / Vanos Oil line / MAF clean / Air Filter