Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0i
Opinions on no touch car wash?

Has anyone here taken their Z4 (or Z3) to one of those no-touch car wash places? You know, the kind that spray high pressure blasts of water, soap & wax at the car instead of the traditional wash that uses rags on rollers to clean the car.

I cleaned the car a couple of weeks ago, but rain, coupled with a dusty garage dirty it up pretty quick.

There are several no touch car wash places in my area, and I was tempted to take my Z4 convertible into one today, but had some doubts because of the convertible top. I've taken other cars though without issue, but I'm concerned because I don't know what kind of effect the soap & water may have on the material (i.e. leaving soap scum, discoloration, etc), and the seals around the windows.

I've read some stories about people in other types of convertibles (mustangs, corvettes) that have taken their cars through those washes and were surprised by streams of water blasting in through the seals that couldn't hold up to the high-pressure water.

Opinions?
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2012, 11:31 PM
Chuck

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 Roadster 2.8
Don't know about anyone else, but I would never take my Z3 to one of those or any other car wash for that matter!!

Old 06-17-2012, 12:25 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 Roadster 2.3
Yeah, water comes through my seals with just a regular wand wash... :S
Old 06-17-2012, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 97 Z3 2.8
Took mine through once and got my ears cleaned at the same time Car was nice an clean and no damaged done, but won't do it again, thank you!

BK85
Old 06-17-2012, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: E90 330i (ZSP, ZCW, ZPP)
Aside from the possibility of getting water in the car, I'd be more concerned about all the other crap that those things spray on your car ("wax", "sealant", "spot free rinse") and the effects they might have on your top. I have no idea if this is a valid concern as I only hand wash, but the only stuff besides water that touches my top are my Raggtopp products.

If you are just looking for a quick way to wipe off a thin layer is dust, you should check out a product called Optimum No Rinse (ONR). This stuff is awesome for doing a hoseless wash in you garage, or for using as a quick detailer to remove a layer of dust after a recent wash. I can wipe down my own car in less than the time it takes to go through a Touchless carwarsh.

I will say that for our non-convertible cars, I have no issue with taking them through a Touchless wash if I don't have the time to wash at home.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:35 AM
your average JAMF

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC,'05 330Ci ZHP
No touch = no good.

Also, don't go through one of these monsoons if you have a clear bra. It can damage it.

Better option if it's not always practical to wash your car yourself: find a hand job joint that doesn't use any sort of machines but washes strictly by hand.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmschlone View Post
aside from the possibility of getting water in the car, i'd be more concerned about all the other crap that those things spray on your car ("wax", "sealant", "spot free rinse") and the effects they might have on your top. I have no idea if this is a valid concern as i only hand wash, but the only stuff besides water that touches my top are my raggtopp products.

+1
Old 06-17-2012, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0i
Ok good replies here! Based on what you've all said, I'll be steering clear of the no touch auto wash places.

Hand wash it is!
Old 06-17-2012, 02:55 PM
1998 BMW Z3 2.8L

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3 2.8L
I wouldn't trust the no touch car wash. As small as the Z3 is it is rather quick and easy to wash. Takes one third the time as my Toyota Highlander and one twentieth the time as my airplane.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Drivin' the dream

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X5 & 2007 Z4 si
I don't believe a no-touch car wash really removes all of the dirt. There is no substitute for wiping the car down with a sponge. I pull my X5 into a spray wash stall whenever I have to drive over the mountains in the winter and there is salt on the roads. I rinse the salt off as soon as I can and those stalls feature the under chassis spray. It gets the salt off, but the car is not nearly as clean as a hand wash.

2007 3.0si w/Sport Pkg, Navi, Leather, Strut brace, garage door opener and delete airbag warnings on sun visors
Old 06-17-2012, 05:38 PM
DROZ3

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 / 2006 X3
No touch car washers leave a film of dirt on your car, only the rinse is fresh water, washing is done with filtrated recycled water ...
With my 740 I used to only do no touch when I had no time to do it myself, 740 was Jet Black so the film of dirt would show big time.
Only went in a car wash once in 8 years with the Z3, lots of water got in ...

Z3 2001 3.0L 5-speeds,Topaz Blue/Sport+Premium package/Stong-Strut/Bilstein shocks/Rogue Engineering RSM/Ireland Engineering rear sub-frame bushing/CDV delete/Conforti CAI/Jim Conforti Shark/DRL module/European Wiper Module/Pioneer AVIC-N4 GPS-Receiver+XM Radio+iPod/iPhone interface+Bluetooth+12CD Charger/ASA-AR1 18" wheels+Michelin PSS/Bi-Xenon upgrade.
Latest mod : 3.73 diff. ... WOW
X3 2006 3.0L Automatic, Silver Gray, all original ... so far ...
Old 06-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Luv'in Texas

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si
I ran my Z4 through one once to try and get the remains of a deer carcus out from under the car (hit the remains of a deer on the freeway out to a weekend car club drive. I swear the flys would follow me and show up when I stopped).

anyway, on the way back I ran the Z4 through a touchless with the undercarriage wash to see if I could knock some of the smell out. (I had already tried to use a wand underneath earlier). I did not have any leaks, the car wasn't washed very well, and it did knock out some of the smell.
2009 Club Car Precedent (to putter around the beach)
Old 06-18-2012, 03:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0
Would not take my Z4 through one !
Old 06-18-2012, 07:10 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
I run my E46 M3 through a touchless car wash every so often. It had a clear bra installed the evening I picked it up at the Performance Center. NO problems.

But a convertible? No way. Too many places for water to come in.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 06-18-2012, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4, 1962 MGA MkII
I've got a 2003 2.5 Z4 that I've run on occassion in the winter. Mine tends to leak a small amount at the seal the windows curve. However, this past winter I had one of the side marker roundels ruined by a touchless car wash and at that time I decided no more laser wash for my Z4.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:45 AM
A Clean Windshield

Mein Auto: 2000 Imola M Coupe
the tire guides on the floor can scratch the rims

Dinan suspension, M rotors /Axxis pads
Eurosport Cam Kit 1, touch lane change
Zaino polish, Beach Sand
Garys mirror adapter, S54 Oil Cooler
seat tilt coupling nuts, spare tire

"life's to short to drink cheap beer"

Old 06-20-2012, 06:01 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
I would never use any kind of auto car wash ever. Long story short, back in the 80's bought a blue car, ran it through car wash at a gas station prior to road trip. Got to where I was going and thought I had ran through bird dropings or bugs, white flakes everywhere. The burshs had slapped the car so hard it left marks all over the car, and I was 1000 miles away from the car wash. So no going back and saying hey, ate that paint job. After that I have never ever washed a vehicle other than by hand.

Regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 06-21-2012, 09:39 PM
Have Fun... Life is short

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si
I never go to car washes. I prefer to wash them myself. I'm not positive but I think it's cheaper than therapy...
Old 06-22-2012, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: E90 330i (ZSP, ZCW, ZPP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheaton2010 View Post
i never go to car washes. I prefer to wash them myself. I'm not positive but i think it's cheaper than therapy...
+1
Old 06-26-2012, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
No touch = no good.

Also, don't go through one of these monsoons if you have a clear bra. It can damage it.

Better option if it's not always practical to wash your car yourself: find a hand job joint that doesn't use any sort of machines but washes strictly by hand.
...nothing like a good hand job.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:52 AM

Mein Auto: 06 MZ4 Coupe
Ive had my coupe since 06. It gets a spray-off wash about once a week for 7-9 months a year. My car doesnt get very dusty, I dont use the wax, just the soap, rinse, spot free rinse and I do it my self, not those automated ones.