Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW '12 X5 35i
I have a 2012 35i and tow an enclosed 18' Vee nose trailer with my vintage MGB race car, rain tires, spare practice tires, fuel, tools, EZ Up etc etc.inside. My estimate on deadweight towed is about 4500 lbs, and despite the Vee nose the trailer probably has much more wind resistance than your boat. I run at 75 with the air on. Much depends on wind direction. The mpg numbers vary from 10-14. This is not significantly different from my prior tow car, a Touareg TDI. The trans is usually in 7th. I prefer the 35i to the TDI in every respect including towing, and do not feel the need for a 35d.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:20 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
Honestly, it has a hard time staying in the 5th top gear even when not towing in certain circumstances! (and I don't think I've got any engine problems, my gas mileage and performance do not seem to deviate much from the official figures and other users) - basically even a strong headwind or a slight incline with 2-3 passengers in the car and some avg amount of cargo inside will cause it to shift in and out of the 5th. Pathetic, seriously. That 5th gear or the whole power package design is just plain ridiculous in the MDX.
I had the same exact problem in my old 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 that I just sold. Truly pathetic amount of low-end torque, and yes any headwind or slight incline or heck even a slight incline and then turning a little bit it just couldn't maintain speed in top gear and had to downshift. Pathetic is right. Even more pathetic is the fact that the Toyota 3.5 engine had both dual VVT and a variable intake manifold! No reason at all that it shouldn't have had a beefier bottom end. Very stupid powertrain design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
Having said that, I suppose the 35i with its 8sp tranny will not stay in the 8th either. Probably 6th or 7th most of the time (at 65-75mph)? That's my main concern at the moment. I wouldn't want to go with the 35i just to find out it kinda sucks on gas too (having had a choice of a diesel instead!) - given your 2k RPM numbers I am not sure the N55 is the right direction, especially paired with the 8sp. Hmmm.....
The 35i is a fine tow vehicle - it's just not going to do "as good" as the diesel. The d also still has the ZF 6AT, and from the loaner car I had for two days I noticed that it wasn't geared particularly tall either. It was in the 2000ish rpm range where it makes peak torque at even slower highway speeds. It could easily be geared a lot taller. I suspect the 8AT has deeper overdrive gears. dcharnet is towing more than you and getting 10-14 mpg, so that would lend some credibility to my "mid-teens" guess for what you'd be towing with the 35i. It's not as heavy, and wouldn't have as much aero drag either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
^^ At 1700 RPM, a 35D M57 has 425 lb.ft of torque available, torque is the relevant number for towing, not necessarily horsepower
It's the same thing just expressed a different way.

HP = (TQ x RPM)/5252

more pics here
Old 06-22-2012, 05:54 AM

Mein Auto: X6
I can't tow my boat as its a little too big so it lives in the water all the time. Its fuel economy is terrible.

BUT I have a new X5 3.0D (1200 miles now) which I do not use for towing and my wife just took it on a road trip. She does not drive hard but drives well and I just filled the car up....Guess the MPG (in your American miles per gallon)....32.6....Amazing for an SUV I think. I don't care about fuel economy really, we bought the X5 because it is a nice car, but the 8 speed transmission and 3 liter diesel are really efficient together.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcharnet View Post
I have a 2012 35i and tow an enclosed 18' Vee nose trailer with my vintage MGB race car, rain tires, spare practice tires, fuel, tools, EZ Up etc etc.inside. My estimate on deadweight towed is about 4500 lbs, and despite the Vee nose the trailer probably has much more wind resistance than your boat. I run at 75 with the air on. Much depends on wind direction. The mpg numbers vary from 10-14. This is not significantly different from my prior tow car, a Touareg TDI. The trans is usually in 7th. I prefer the 35i to the TDI in every respect including towing, and do not feel the need for a 35d.
Uhh.. that is a bit of a warning sign. So maybe I shouldn't kid myself - perfect towing mileage is all about the diesel engine which is basically designed for that purpose (low RPM, high torque). 10-14MPG depending and high dependence on things like headwind sounds exactly like my current MDX problem.

So I think you all are right... The d is a towing monster with brilliant MPG at basically any towing weight but the "i" will do a bit better job than my MDX but nowhere close to the "d". Which means come replacement time of the MDX, I either have to face driving a diesel all year round for the purposes of a fabulous towing MPG in the summer, or 35i which is really what my 1st choice would be, but should not surprise me with only a mediocre MPG with high cargo and towing load.

I, too, would get 14MPG with a helping wind and 11-12 with no or some headwind. My boat is 2500lbs (with trailer) but given 4 kids, bikes, roofrack, full tank of (cheaper, non-marina) gas in the boat and all, I'm still looking at nearly 4k LBS as well so there are no miracles, the MPG will probably suck too in the 35i.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:45 AM

My prior tow vehicle was a 2010 VW TDI, which has a turbo diesel comparable to the 35d. The 35i/ 8 speed tows my racecar fine compared to that. A big part of that is the 8 speed. I feel no need for a diesel, but if they add an 8 speed to the 35d, that would widen the small current gap. I tow the racecar maybe 4-5 race weekends a year around the Midwest. That is maybe 15% of yearly total miles. The rest of the time, the 35i, which is faster and makes a better sound, is arguably superior.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
I wouldn't run the non premium gas station gas in my boat. It has ethanol, and if it sits, it will seperate and absorb a lot of moisture leading to corrosion. Premium gas (in Ontario) has no ethanol, so if you aren't filling up at the marina, then you need to buy premium from the gas station.

| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |
Old 06-24-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickm5X3 View Post

35i or 35d would each do well, so maybe it comes down to which one you like driving overall.
Rick, what camper trailer are you towing?

| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |
Old 06-24-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't run the non premium gas station gas in my boat. It has ethanol, and if it sits, it will seperate and absorb a lot of moisture leading to corrosion. Premium gas (in Ontario) has no ethanol, so if you aren't filling up at the marina, then you need to buy premium from the gas station.
There are many places where regular-grade 87 octane non-ethanol fuel is available, and it is fine for the X5, especially if it is "top tier" or equivalent. Yes, HP will drop some, but most wouldn't know the difference. After all, we don't race these things. I do avoid ethanol whenever possible, for lots of reasons.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: M5 & X3
Quote:
Rick, what camper trailer are you towing?
It is a 22' Heartland Edge lightweight trailer. 3750 pounds dry and tows really well. Very balanced and stable with the X5. They only made it a couple years (2009-2010) and I think it was priced a bit high for a market that didn't care about ultra lightweight and style for a travel trailer. It was introduced at the height of the recession and that could not have helped sales either.

Gone:
2005 X5 4.8is
2004 X5 4.4i Sport
2004 X3 3.0i 6MT
2002 M5
Old 06-24-2012, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93/335i
Quote:
The rest of the time, the 35i, which is faster and makes a better sound, is arguably superior.
I think you could say they're arguably different and that's definitely the case, but I don't think either is superior. With the windows up and some light tunes on it's tough to hear the engine at all. Cruising around my wife did like the chug-chug-chug sound of the diesel though. The 35i definitely has a bit more passing power at medium to higher speeds, but the diesel definitely has more oomph at lower to medium speeds. It's tough to go wrong and it sure is great to have choices like these as opposed to the one-size-fits-all Japanese and American "you can have any engine you want so long as it's our corporate standard 3.something liter V-6" machines.

more pics here
Old 06-24-2012, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Quote:
There are many places where regular-grade 87 octane non-ethanol fuel is available, and it is fine for the X5, especially if it is "top tier" or equivalent. Yes, HP will drop some, but most wouldn't know the difference. After all, we don't race these things. I do avoid ethanol whenever possible, for lots of reasons.
Not this again
Old 06-25-2012, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
The rest of the time, the 35i, which is faster and makes a better sound, is arguably superior.
And here we go again...
Old 06-25-2012, 05:24 PM

This is a tough room to play in. Finally, too much attitude and posturing for the return involved.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: M5 & X3
Quote:
This is a tough room to play in. Finally, too much attitude and posturing for the return involved.
Nah, I take this all as tongue-in-cheek humor. Don't leave.

Gone:
2005 X5 4.8is
2004 X5 4.4i Sport
2004 X3 3.0i 6MT
2002 M5
Old 06-25-2012, 05:48 PM

We all made our choices relating to the gasser or diesel, each is suited to different niches, so it cant be said that one is better, they are just different.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Quote:
Just giving the fellow iowegian a hard time, corn makes our economy go round, easy on the ethanol hate

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Old 06-27-2012, 10:37 PM

Understand, no problem.