Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjboyd View Post
You do realize BMW is "Germany's GM" right? A 318 four banger with cloth and stick certainly isn't a luxury car. Is it?
Actually, I think VW is Europe's GM, since it has all the brands and has a goal of taking over the world. BMW is more like Ford.

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 06-19-2012, 09:44 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
The other problem is technology, it's far easier for companies to cram a suspension/car full of nannies, and appear too have amazing handling/ or an amazing product, where even 10 years ago it required far more "engineering" and R&D.
A car does not "appear" to have amazing handling, it either has it or it does not. The means by which that handling is achieved is moot.

To set up a computerized suspension, etc takes a lot of resources and very deep pockets and is by no means a simple task.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 06-19-2012, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
A car does not "appear" to have amazing handling, it either has it or it does not. The means by which that handling is achieved is moot.

To set up a computerized suspension, etc takes a lot of resources and very deep pockets and is by no means a simple task.

CA
I'm not implying it's something a kid with a google app designer could do. But technology can compensate where it couldn't be for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy480 View Post
one man's country's trash is another man's country's treasure.
I think that's equally absurd. But if Audi makes you that mad you sign up to defend it lol they need to get you on staff. That kind of loyalty is invaluable.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 06-19-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:19 AM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Congrats, I think you have really made it to the big time driving a 2009 BMW 328i.
It doesn't matter what you think as we're not trying to impress you. You drive a new 5 Series and are better than us lowly 3 Series owners. 5% of the wealthiest people in the country know better. You do, I do.

It's the other 95% of America that views BMW owners as arrogant, snobby, successes. Those are the people to whom a BMW humbles. An Audi is inconsequential in their eyes, just like we like it. Mr. & Mrs. Camry see a BMW, they get red in the face, in a jealous rage.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 06-19-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjboyd View Post
You do realize BMW is "Germany's GM" right? A 318 four banger with cloth and stick certainly isn't a luxury car. Is it?
Yes, and next will come the "they use Mercedes Benz E Class for taxi's in Germany!" argument to which I'll respond "We don't live in Germany and in America, a BMW oozes status which makes us happy."

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 06-19-2012, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Someone earlier made a good point, the fact BMW is not a "rebadged" car makes it not having the cheaper models to absorb the fuel economy requirements, 3ers being the base volume seller naturally have the burden of achieving as high an mpg as possible in order to meet the quota, while still trying to maintain some level of sporty characters.

The upcoming ATS for example, may not have to, because it has the Chevy Cruze/Sonic to take that mpg spread, so Caddy may have more luxury to tune the ATS like an E46.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post

Audi are considered much more luxury in Europe than BMW. Only someone delusional is under the impression that round the world people think of Audi as nothing but a fancied up VW.
Good news for us: We live in America.

BJ

Old 06-19-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Well there are marquees where you can have that debate, or it might depend on the market (Pontiac in China, etc)... however, to suggest that ANY of the premium marquees like Audi, Infiniti, Lexus, Mercedes are not luxury brand is patently ridiculous. They are luxe in ALL of the markets they sell in.
First off, never said Mercedes Benz wasn't a luxury car. Of course it is. But the Audi, Infiniti, Lexus, Cadillac, and Acura brands most certainly are not.

Mercedes Benz and BMW make their cars from the beginning to be $50,000 luxury cars. Those other brands design their cars from the beginning to be $25,000 Volkswagen's, Mitsubishi's, Toyota's, Cheverolet's, and Honda's.

A BMW 3 Series or a Mercedes C Class are just that- they are those cars. An Audi A3 is a Passat, an A5 is a Jetta, whatever. An Acura TSX is a Civic, a TL is an Accord, whatever.

Again, no one in America aspires to own an Audi. An Audi is something you get when the practical side of your brain overtakes the emotional side, saves you a few dollars, makes your friends and neighbors think you're not an arrogant BMW driving snob.

BJ

Old 06-19-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Again, no one in America aspires to own an Audi. An Audi is something you get when the practical side of your brain overtakes the emotional side, saves you a few dollars, makes your friends and neighbors think you're not an arrogant BMW driving snob.

BJ
lol really not holding back I do enjoy reading it.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
First off, never said Mercedes Benz wasn't a luxury car. Of course it is. But the Audi, Infiniti, Lexus, Cadillac, and Acura brands most certainly are not.

Mercedes Benz and BMW make their cars from the beginning to be $50,000 luxury cars. Those other brands design their cars from the beginning to be $25,000 Volkswagen's, Mitsubishi's, Toyota's, Cheverolet's, and Honda's.

A BMW 3 Series or a Mercedes C Class are just that- they are those cars. An Audi A3 is a Passat, an A5 is a Jetta, whatever. An Acura TSX is a Civic, a TL is an Accord, whatever.

BJ
Do you know that the Audi engineering division is totally sepersate from the VW's R&D department? The last gen S6 share an engine with the Lamborghini Gallardo and as someone mentioned earlier, the A3 shares the same navi system as the Lamborghini, does that make the Lamborghini just another VW?
I had 3 Audi before my current BMW and I can tell you that I get a lot more attention from my Audi 2012 A6 than I do now with my 535xi.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:39 AM

I aspire to own an Audi. I think many people on these forums do. I actually think Audi is more of a luxury brand than BMW. Typically, Audi surpasses BMW with comfort and interior design. While BMW has always been more about driving dynamics. However, based on this comparison between the 335i and S4, it looks as though those attributes have flip-flopped!

In fact, Audi's sales have been outpacing other luxury brands, particularly in the US. I do believe that Audi is gaining because it has all the comfort and luxury of MB and BMW, plus smashing good looks (subjective) and the lack of the pretentiousness of the BMW badge.

BJ, I rarely call anyone out on the boards, because for the most part I'm a tree-hugging non-confrontational dude who wants everybody to get along. And I respect that everyone is going to have their own opinion. But how can you say things like "nobody aspires to owning an Audi" and "Audi (and the other brands) aren't luxury cars"? Have you asked every single US resident and tallied their responses? You're welcome to your opinions and you may despise anything without an Roundel on it, but please refrain from speaking for the entire US/world population. Personally, I don't want you speaking for me, because I don't agree with a single thing you say. Speak for yourself, and we can all be happy.

Oh, and my opinion is that a 3 Series is not a luxury car either. A true luxury car is going to be something like a RR. The 3 may have some luxury qualities, but for the most part it is a sport sedan. (Or.. it should be.)

2002 M3 Convertible
Old 06-19-2012, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Exactly. Only someone who has not been to Europe would consider BMW a "luxo" brand. News flash ... BMW is like GM in Europe, they build everything. Just look at some of the Welt delivery photos people post, see those crappy looking little weird hatch backs and stuff in the background? Those are the equivelants of the Pontiac Aztek that BMW builds for the Euro market.

Audi ONLY builds upscale cars. The lowest end Audi is something like a 1.3T A3 that sells for something like 30,000 euros. By comparison you have always been able to get a stripped down 3 series in europe that has cloth seats, AM radio, etc. LOL.

Audi are considered much more luxury in Europe than BMW. Only someone delusional is under the impression that round the world people think of Audi as nothing but a fancied up VW.
Audi range in Europe starts with the A1 for about $18k incl taxes.

Audi and BMW are both Premium brands not luxury, and they are both considered about the same in terms of status.

Both make very good cars, you can't go wrong with either.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBS3SSION View Post

Oh, and my opinion is that a 3 Series is not a luxury car either. A true luxury car is going to be something like a RR. The 3 may have some luxury qualities, but for the most part it is a sport sedan. (Or.. it should be.)
I'd say its like a hybrid not quite a lux, not quite a sports sedan . I can't get my vented seats or $3500k B&O speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
Both make very good cars, you can't go wrong with either.
This
Old 06-19-2012, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
It is funny to see such brand loyalty here. Particularly from BJ who probably craps BMW roundels. I have owned both BMW's and Audi's. Audi's are definitely nice vehicles. I happen to like them both as well as other makes and models. I have the ability to appreciate more than 1 brand. I couldn't imagine eating the same thing every day for the rest of my life any more than I could imagine driving the same make and model vehicle.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
Audi and BMW are both Premium brands not luxury, and they are both considered about the same in terms of status.
That's the term I couldn't think of: Premium. Yes... All the brands being discussed are indeed that, Premium brands. You pay more for a higher level of refinement than your non-premium brands that do basically the same thing.

(And the Premium brands: BMW, Audi, MB, Lexus, Cadillac, etc. all have some blend of luxury, sport, practicality and other aspects. Some more than others.)

2002 M3 Convertible
Old 06-19-2012, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
They are luxury cars, though more accurately they are "entry level luxury sporty cars."

BJ's view does have a good representation not only in the US but abroad. In fact I think BMW has made a point of this, by being a more exclusive luxury car maker with emphasis in driving dynamics, there is benefit to its consumer base.

But now we begin to see the downside. BMW could merge with Hyundai, allow them to share technologies, and mpg requirements, so the BMW brand does not have to be so mpg conscious, and BJ can easily gain a lot of new friends.

Not as if he could go somewhere else abroad. Not as if he could even move to the MB brand, the name DaimlerChrysler had left a permanent scar in his heart.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Quote:

BJ
I gotta give you credit for being persistent, however wrong/losing end of the argument you may be on.

I just can't comprehend your endless infatuation with BMW. Yes, we are all fans of the brand, but you seem to have taken an extra step of being emotionally married to it.

Following your trend of thought, would it be fair to say that the Porsche 911 is a re-badged VW Bettle? And the Audi R8 would be rebadged what? And the Lambo Reventon?

Ever wonder why many think BMW drivers are snobs? I think you should look yourself in the mirror for an answer.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 06-19-2012, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:

BJ
Partially right, partially wrong and mostly the same old tired BoltJames shtick. The A5 is not a Jetta or any other VW chassis. And of course, every brand you name is considered by the general public to be a luxury brand. Just because BMW and Mercedes are not part of larger groups doesn't make them any more "special" or "luxury" than their competition. And other than the ES and SUV's every Lexus has their own specific non-Toyota chassis.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
There are plenty of cheap strip down BMW and Mercedes in Europe and they are basically the same car as the BMW sold here but at half of the cost. Going with that same train of thought, isnt that relationship the same as the ES350 being a dress up Toyota Avalon?
Old 06-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
I am not too sure why they always compare the new F30 with all season tires, to other brands with standard performance tires. The tires make significant contribution to the "spreadsheet" results.

Having said that, I wasn't surprised that the S4 in its standard form is a more fun and better driver's car, it was built that way. It should be compared to a 335i with m sport and other performance add-ons.
Agreed. This comparo isn't apples to apples. He needs to do it again with an M Sport. I have never heard anyone call BMW's stability control intrusive. Did they change its parameters? I've also never heard anyone say the 3er's interior was more luxurious than the A4's. Weird.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 06-19-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Agreed. This comparo isn't apples to apples. He needs to do it again with an M Sport. I have never heard anyone call BMW's stability control intrusive. Did they change its parameters? I've also never heard anyone say the 3er's interior was more luxurious than the A4's. Weird.
My guess is at the time of the comparison, the M Sport wasn't available yet. So, unfortunately for the 335i, it loses the comparison because BMW decided to make the Sport more eco-friendly than enthusiast-friendly.

2002 M3 Convertible
Old 06-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
BMW losing the occasional comparo is not a bad thing, that kind of feedback (kind of like when C&D gave the performance sedan crown to the S4 a few years ago and the 335i was toppled) is what drives them to do better.

BMW is toeing a fine line, between economy, "luxury" and performance.... and they are eyeing China, where performance is much less of a concern typically, as eventually displacing the US as their biggest market.

If Germany was their biggest market, we would see a very different kind of product I think in the 3 series.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: A few cars
After reading this thread, I wondered:

What was BMW's competition for the S4 before the 335i?

If I were a kid, would an R8 be on my list of cars I want.

Who has taken their BMW apart (I have, and not just mine) and noticed that the components are of no better quality than those of an Audi, or VW in some cases.

Who wants to hobnob with folks who "hob-knob?"

This forum actually reminds me of the VW, Audi, Volvo and Saab forums I have belonged to in the past. Very helpful members and very little arrogance. In my experience, Benz forums are full of the latter. Those types seem to have little car knowledge. Still great cars to own though.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBS3SSION View Post
My guess is at the time of the comparison, the M Sport wasn't available yet. So, unfortunately for the 335i, it loses the comparison because BMW decided to make the Sport more eco-friendly than enthusiast-friendly.
Agreed. This is the reason I would not be interested in a 2012 model. DUMB decision by BMWNA. Someone should be fired. They should have had the sense to know this handicapped car would be compared to the top of the line competitors. This isn't their first rodeo. Now all these mediocre first impressions are out there in internet foreverland.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 06-19-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
BMW losing the occasional comparo is not a bad thing, that kind of feedback (kind of like when C&D gave the performance sedan crown to the S4 a few years ago and the 335i was toppled) is what drives them to do better.

BMW is toeing a fine line, between economy, "luxury" and performance.... and they are eyeing China, where performance is much less of a concern typically, as eventually displacing the US as their biggest market.

If Germany was their biggest market, we would see a very different kind of product I think in the 3 series.
There is a very different 3er in Germany. Lots of four cylinder diesels with manual transmissions.