Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 550i GT
Best GT Model

what is in your opinion the best GT model and Why?? (535, 550, x drive, rear wheel, diesel or gas).

please no negative comments we own a GT we're civilized.
I don't think one is better then the other, its just how you drive it and what you using it for.
just want to know why u bought or like that particular model, this might also give some insight for others who are thinking of getting a GT.
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2014, 05:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
LONG ANSWER: There are many threads here that reveal why people bought them. The one with the most in one place is a thread in the F10 section of Bimmerfest that erupted last year when a car magazine rated the GT the ugliest in a top ten thing.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=732206

SHORT ANSWER: GT buyers balance cruising, hatchback practicality and interior space per dollar against the sheet metal in a way that those who need to buy what everyone buys and care more about what others think about the sheet metal don't/can't.

Like many things, there is no "Best Model". Only the "best" for you. That is the point of having different cars in a product line and different models within each line. As a product provider, you try and offer models/options that will cover the needs/desires of purchasers in the various markets. Living in Florida, I would not buy an xDrive. Living in snow country, I would.

IAS is the one feature that might push a person in one direction or another. It is not available on xDrive models. Other than that, it comes down to the engine performance and price that you want. I can't think of any features/options only available on the 550 (besides the V8).
Old 03-06-2014, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
Unless something changes, BMW hasn't made the diesel GT available here (at least in the USA)...haven't heard it being available in Canada. A diesel in really cold weather, and the way the GT does the battery charging, if it were available, I'd want to be regularly using a battery maintainer charger on it.

It all depends on what your power needs or desires are. In Europe, you can buy it with a 4-cylinder engine. It all depends on what you want. If the diesel was available here, I'd have bought that verses the gasoline. I find the 535GT x-drive to fit my needs, but if you really like faster, and don't care about the fuel economy (it's not bad for something as big as it is), it does go faster.

I really like the HUD, and the comfort seats (the extendable thigh support helps when you're tall). The full camera package with the top down view is nice when you are trying to parallel park, or determine if you're really centered in your parking space, and the front cameras are nice if you're trying to get out of a narrow alley and can't see cross traffic (or even a parking space at the mall when between two vans).

If I had to do it again, I might opt for the dynamic dampers, but at the time, it was only available with the package that also had the rear wheel steering and the adjustable sway bars - too much money for too much complication. I tend to keep my cars beyond the warranty period, and just didn't want that as a maintenance issue down the road.

I do find it quiet and comfortable. My longest day was over 1,000-miles and about 15-hours and, when done, I was not all buzzed and my back didn't hurt. Even the x-drive does pretty well on a long highway trip where you're not stopping - I've seen over a real 30mpg, less in the winter, but still get better than the EPA, even when running around town (but not by much!). I find the x-drive handy even in the summer when the roads are wet - especially if you encounter standing water - it just plows straight through without a quiver. I do run winter tires, and have never been caught. My driveway is a fairly long, steep hill, and while it does get plowed, there are times some have not been able to get up...I just go. Not sure that would happen with the rear-wheel drive version.

So, evaluate your needs...they all work, one might be better for you.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 550i GT
thanks for the reply, i think you both make good points... i really love the GT look, i was actually in the market for an x5 diesel before i chose to go with the GT, it was more $$$ but a better choice for me i think.

I heard from a friend that the GT is really popular in Europe, its just here in N. America that people stick to what they think a car should look like and don't except change or new style that easily when it comes to cars i think. You can see that this is the new trend in cars with the CLS, A7, Panamera.

I never drove the 535 GT, just regular 528 and drove both the X5 6 and X5 diesel both 2013 for more then a month and i liked the gas better then diesel and the car sounded sportier in gas then diesel.... also the diesel didn't really give me any significantly more mpg to make a difference for me and i expect the GT diesel to be the same if it ever becomes available in N. America.

My Gt runs on P. Zero rft, never had a different tires on it even in winter (Vancouver weather is different then rest of Canada, its just like Seattle and Portland), but a lot of post and websites suggest that i should buy different tires for my car cuz the rft are stiff and the car doesn't perform to its full potential with these tires. To be honest i find the car handles well with these tires even in rain, but i might change my mind when i get a new set.

I find the car to be comfortable in long trips and never had any noticeable problems or concerns with it. Active seats helped .

I like the V8 better then the 528 i drove, but maybe cuz I've had V8 cars the last decade.

Last edited by VanCityGT; 03-06-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive GT
Morning all. We've had our 550i xDrive for about a year now (it's a 2013) it handles our mountain roads wonderfully. The MC seats and HUD are important to us. I thought we would want the DHP but our CA talked us out of it. Really drives fine without it, but we did get it on our X5. Power wise I love the uuuummmpppphhh of the V8 but it does drink a lot of fuel.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:06 AM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
NA, particularly the US will be a skewed poll since we only get the 535i and 550i. That being said we test drove a 535 prior to purchasing our 550. I honestly don't remember thinking the 535 was underpowered, but it certainly is a world of difference to have the V8. We wound up going with the 550 since we were purchasing CPO and the price difference was negligible between the two models (given our must have options list).
Old 03-11-2014, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
FWIW, only a few engine configurations are naturally balanced: I6, V8, V12, and the H4/6 favored by Subaru and Porsche. No I4 or V6, or V10 will be as smooth (and forget the I5) - yes, they can be made tolerable with harmonic balancers, but it adds extra complication, parts, and potential wear. VW's W12 isn't bad, but who can afford a x12 anything?!
Old 04-01-2014, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 535i GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by daders View Post
NA, particularly the US will be a skewed poll since we only get the 535i and 550i. That being said we test drove a 535 prior to purchasing our 550. I honestly don't remember thinking the 535 was underpowered, but it certainly is a world of difference to have the V8. We wound up going with the 550 since we were purchasing CPO and the price difference was negligible between the two models (given our must have options list).
I thought the xDrives were avaialbe in the US. I have the 535i with the sport package and my two regrets are:

1. Not getting the 550. I thought the performance to mileage balance was not great enough but now I wish I had the V8.

2. Not getting the xDrive (I swear I thought I could...) The different size front to rear tires make rotating impossible and drive tire costs through the roof.

But I'm still glad I have the GT and I still think it is one of the best cars out there.

FWIW
DLM
Old 04-01-2014, 11:56 AM
There is no spoon

I was only referring to engines. Since I left college and went directly to warmer climates (Jimmy Buffett got a hold on my psyche early) I have never owned (nor considered) an all wheel drive machine and have no useful comments regarding them except to say the only vehicles I would consider them on would be a super car.

I will say that I will never purchase a front wheel drive vehicle again based on our Audi A4 experience, but that doesn't apply here.

The only thing I can express to OP is that we are 7 months into ownership and before the GT our life was one of contentment and loving, after acquiring the GT there have been a number of domestic disputes (verbal only...I fell down the stairs, she never hits me) because we both want to drive it. J/k, of course!
Old 04-01-2014, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 535i GT
Quote:
I was only referring to engines. Since I left college and went directly to warmer climates (Jimmy Buffett got a hold on my psyche early) I have never owned (nor considered) an all wheel drive machine and have no useful comments regarding them except to say the only vehicles I would consider them on would be a super car.

<snip>
The ONLY reason I would advocate the xDrive is to be able to rotate the tires! Our other car is a Volvo S80 with AWD and the V8. I don't know that I've ever noticed if the AWD matters. The V8 on the other hand...

FWIW
DLM
Old 04-02-2014, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
Quote:

I will say that I will never purchase a front wheel drive vehicle again based on our Audi A4 experience, but that doesn't apply here.

The only thing I can express to OP is that we are 7 months into ownership and before the GT our life was one of contentment and loving, after acquiring the GT there have been a number of domestic disputes (verbal only...I fell down the stairs, she never hits me) because we both want to drive it. J/k, of course!
I think Ernest's short answer says it all. For example, for those of us who live in parts of North America where winter is an ugly word (in every sense) xdrive is almost mandatory as one way to help 'even the score' with Mother Nature a bit. If I lived in a more winter-friendly southern climate, xdrive would not be a priority. Also, in Canada, our fuel prices are higher than in the US (for a number of reasons) and for that reason I would not want to have a 550 and the estimated 25% fuel mileage penalty (for 91 octane) that one pays for it (though I do recognize and envy the 550's HP and torque numbers, even more so for the DINAN'd ones). That said, I find the 535 in SPORT+ mode and/or the transmission in DS mode plenty of fun if I want a bit of 'performance'fun.

Daders, loved your last paragraph. I almost see a potential TV sitcom in your domestic GT situation.....
Old 04-02-2014, 03:59 PM
There is no spoon

For some reason when the police arrived they never asked any other questions about my injuries after my initial statement even though we have a single story house, no basement.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
Quote:
For some reason when the police arrived they never asked any other questions about my injuries after my initial statement even though we have a single story house, no basement.
What sloppy police work......should your mayor be calling the Police Chief on to the proverbial carpet?

As to resolving your domestic GT situation, has third-party mediation been considered as an option?
Maybe you will be awarded more 'custody'.

Last edited by Fish23; 04-02-2014 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Correct format from OP iphone submission
Old 04-03-2014, 08:53 PM
There is no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish23 View Post
What sloppy police work......should your mayor be calling the Police Chief on to the proverbial carpet?

As to resolving your domestic GT situation, has third-party mediation been considered as an option?
Maybe you will be awarded more 'custody'.
Lol, I mentioned this and the response was I get less custody. I replied, "LESS?!?! Any less and you'll have to fill up your own gas!" Looking like the lawyers are going to win again as this could get ugly......