Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:34 AM
5GT *****

Mein Auto: 550i GT
Trunk Space

I'd like to kick off a thread highlighting one of my favorite features of the 'car'; the trunk space. Is there anything even close to the 5 series GT for trunk space?

How many things have you put in your trunk? Pics please.

I'll start.

7 foot / 3 person couch, filing cabinet, small table and various other small items.

6 pieces of luggage, 2 boxes, and 4 passengers comfortably in the car.

More to come if this carries on...

Last edited by db007; 02-01-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2016, 12:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 530GT
Trunk Space

Yeah well, that is with no people in the back! The GT is crap against F11 in luggage compartment, and against other wagon cars. With people in the back its small, real small. You have to compromise all the time when loading the back.
It's stupid to buy the GT if you looking for a car with a big trunk. 440 litre in standard "mode" is small for this big car.

Last edited by Ganescha; 02-01-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: twin turbo V8 hatchback
what suitcases are those? I can't get 2 fullsized suitcases in mine with 4 passengers . The trunk is my LEAST favorite feature of this car (with rear seats up)

I see the Jamaican rum boxes, we returned from Montego Bay on New Years Day, and had to take my wife's car (a midsized sedan in my picture below) because the 4 of us couldn't fit 3 suitcases (2 full sized and 1 carry on size)

BMW 550i Gran Turismo (the 4th fastest vehicle in the garage)
Old 02-01-2016, 08:10 PM
5GT *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganescha View Post
Yeah well, that is with no people in the back! The GT is crap against F11 in luggage compartment, and against other wagon cars. With people in the back its small, real small. You have to compromise all the time when loading the back.
It's stupid to buy the GT if you looking for a car with a big trunk. 440 litre in standard "mode" is small for this big car.
That is simply not so. The 3rd photo clearly shows the rear fully loaded, without any seats folded down, and with the interior passenger space unaffected. There were 4 people in the car, all seated very comfortably, including myself. I'm 6'3" and did not have to move my seat from it's normal position. The passenger behind me, also over 6' tall, had plenty of space as well.

I am fan of the F11 also, and I'm sure it has great storage capacity as well, but it is probably only slightly if at all better than the GT for storage. To each his own. I prefer the styling of the F07. It is sportier in my opinion, and I have to strongly disagree that it is 'crap' compared to the F11. I have never had to compromise when loading the rear. I have several photos that prove that point. Here is another photo of a decent load. This day I had a complete set of photography equipment, and 5 people in the car, comfortably, with no compromises.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:26 PM
5GT *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.T View Post
what suitcases are those? I can't get 2 fullsized suitcases in mine with 4 passengers . The trunk is my LEAST favorite feature of this car (with rear seats up)

I see the Jamaican rum boxes, we returned from Montego Bay on New Years Day, and had to take my wife's car (a midsized sedan in my picture below) because the 4 of us couldn't fit 3 suitcases (2 full sized and 1 carry on size)
Very nice collection of vehicles Joe. I was also returning from Montego Bay, good times... I was already loaded, and picked up a passenger who had his own bags with 'no problem' .

Sorry but I have to assume this is a clear case of "Doing it Wrong". Just to be sure; you do know about the other button that opens the larger hatch right? There are at least 3 pieces from the Tumi Ducati set. I can't remember if we had all of them or not, but you can see the 3 there for sure, with the largest one to the right. Two additional full / large ones could easily fit beside that one if necessary (without folding the seats). It boggles the mind that you would take the sedan, over the GT for 3 standard pieces of luggage.

Here is a pic of an older version of the set (for posterity):
Old 02-02-2016, 05:25 AM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
We had the E39 touring and more than likely would have purchased an F11 if they still sold them. I appreciate the F07 for what it is, but it does have one drawback vs the F11 for our small family...namely doggie transport on road trips - the F07 does not accommodate our golden nearly as comfortably (rear is hotter due to window angle and floor to roof height is much more limited). I never tried with the E39 touring, but we fit the missus Tri-bike crosswise between the front and rear seats quite easily. Wish I had taken pictures of the packed vehicle now, but with seats down we had the bike, two medium suitcases, walking golf bag, small cooler, misc food bag and still had ~ 1/3 of the floor space available for the fur ball.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
18 bags of mulch without compromising rear view:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=154
Old 02-03-2016, 09:50 AM
got something nicer?

Mein Auto: '11 535 GT xDrive
I hate the trunk in my F07. Only good for groceries.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i GT xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexhair View Post
I hate the trunk in my F07. Only good for groceries.
Maybe BMW should make a pick-up truck.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:52 AM
got something nicer?

Mein Auto: '11 535 GT xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post
Maybe BMW should make a pick-up truck.
I've never owned a pickup truck but how about something on that huge chassis that can fit two sets of golf clubs laying flat? That's all I'm asking.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:23 PM
5GT *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
18 bags of mulch without compromising rear view:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=154
Nice. I did something similar, but with white landscaping stones. Failed to take photos. The people at the quarry thought I was kidding when I pulled around with the GT.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535xi GT
Trunk Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by db007 View Post
Nice. I did something similar, but with white landscaping stones. Failed to take photos. The people at the quarry thought I was kidding when I pulled around with the GT.

I too failed to take a picture but two years ago (in m first GT) I took home a 65-inch Sony 4K TV in its box laying flat on its side. The front seats were mostly forward and the big hatch closed with a few niches to spare. The store clerk who wheeled it out to the back of the mall looked sceptical until the big hatch went up. He was impressed when we loaded it in. Saved myself a $150 delivery charge.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:40 PM
5GT *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish23 View Post
I Saved myself a $150 delivery charge.
Success!

The savings / independence and the look of disbelief are my favorite parts.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:47 PM
5GT *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by daders View Post
We had the E39 touring and more than likely would have purchased an F11 if they still sold them. I appreciate the F07 for what it is, but it does have one drawback vs the F11 for our small family...namely doggie transport on road trips - the F07 does not accommodate our golden nearly as comfortably (rear is hotter due to window angle and floor to roof height is much more limited). I never tried with the E39 touring, but we fit the missus Tri-bike crosswise between the front and rear seats quite easily. Wish I had taken pictures of the packed vehicle now, but with seats down we had the bike, two medium suitcases, walking golf bag, small cooler, misc food bag and still had ~ 1/3 of the floor space available for the fur ball.
An impressive load. Would've been a great photo to share.

I've always loved the BMW wagons, but they do not exist in my local market. Not sure if they are easier to come by in your area. There are however several GT's to be had here in South Florida. When I got my first GT I was shopping for an X5, and there it was.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:40 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
I took three women to a wedding, with all of their luggage, and got it all in the rear of my GT without issues. I will say that it was full, but it closed! They were happy. Most of the stuff was soft verses rigid bags, so there was a bit of give, and that may have helped. If the rear passengers aren't all that tall or the front passengers can live with less legroom there, shifting the rear seats forward a bit means you can release the divider, making it more vertical, which can also help. If the rear is stuffed, releasing that divider does not let any more noise into the cabin that an otherwise empty rear might.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 528i
This thread says everything about BMW today vs. BMW of the past. Trunk space......?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
Today's Posts Search