Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:53 PM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2016 X6
Little help from our collective..

So I have a guy on the current model X6 forum that was told by his dealer that if his 2015 was not still in "transport mode", that he would have been responsible for some amount of payment to replace his steering rack and pinion.?.? I look to my brothers here because of your attention to detail which is above reproach. If "transport mode" is still engaged why would the owner of a 2015 X6 with less than 3,500 miles be threatened with a statement such as the above. I have made small mention to you guys about the "sleepy-ness" of the new X6 forum, and I am attempting to provide them with intelligent information..a call "to arms" so to speak. You guys have saved me many dollars, and hours of trial and error because of the precise, informative information you all have consistently provided me. I don't need this kicked over to another forum because there is no forum like our "exclusive little" group....of extraordinary gentlemen/ladies. Just a few observations to assist in growing this new group are greatly appreciate by me fellas. Many thanks!

Last edited by Rogue2258; 03-01-2016 at 09:54 PM.
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2016, 05:43 AM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
So this guy was told his X6 was in transport mode and therefore he's responsible for steering components? From the surface it sounds like it's time to either find another (different dealer) opinion, or push original dealer and report them to BMWNA.

Did said owner discuss any of the issues described in this thread?http://bmwcarmagazine.boards.net/thr...transport-mode

From a brief Google search: I understand that some have experienced their vehicles going into transport mode if left with a discharged battery for too long...so it could occur if owner didn't use his vehicle for a period of time, but no one indicates adverse steering effects, in fact this thread is even more applicable http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244833 to the alleged issue at hand.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:25 AM
Rogue2258

Daders if I understood correctly the dealer that if the X6 was not in transport mode he would have been responsible for the repairs. Warranty anyone. He said it cutoff. No mention of tearing it up his self.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:52 AM
There is no spoon

Barring owner induced neglect/damage, the original warranty is bumper to bumper so I just do not comprehend the reasoning for mentioning transport mode. It only brings up a potential liability issue that the dealership delivered an "unfit" vehicle to the owner, thus giving him more leverage (assuming he has this documented) to reject any offer other than full coverage by the warranty. What I really don't understand is they get reimbursed, so it makes even less sense to mention anything other than "it's covered, we'll call you when it's repaired."

Here are three threads discussing experiences, both good and bad:

This one is Hyundai (who replaced under warranty) but a BMW Z3 owner mentions having his covered in post 4: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/cm-200.../119740?page=1

Here are a few in the UK stating they were covered (although OP wasn't as he was out of warranty period): http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60.../168988?page=1

And here is a bad experience by an M3 owner: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904759
Old 03-02-2016, 08:55 AM
There is no spoon

BMW provides paperwork on the warranty so the OP should refer to that and/or ask the SA to show him where in the paperwork it specifically states where/under what circumstances the rack and pinion are not covered.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:47 PM
Rogue2258

Thanks for the jump start Daders. I ran into a few of the above threads. What is always most helpful is the different insight you and many of our other guys come through with as ya'll assess the different situations we run into. In this case I will make mention of a questionable dealer. I am not sure as to where this X6 guy is in his education of BMW ownership. Also I do not remember any of our guys running into "transport mode" which warranted throwing a question out to you all. Appreciate the assist!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
Today's Posts Search