Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:44 AM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
DIY: F07 Cabin Air Filter Replacement

According to literature found in this thread this is a 15 min job. I found it took significantly longer due to reinstallation tolerances...particularly with the airbag. Additionally, the footwell trim piece must be removed to access the cabin air filter housing - unlike what was reported per the referenced thread for the F01/F02.

Things to consider: are you able to contort yourself into the footwell area?
your time vs $...if you only utilize your local dealership for service the labor costs probably won't exceed your hourly rate so save yourself the headache.

However, if you like doing DIY then, by all means, read the (overly detailed) attached document. This is not difficult, just tedious as a first timer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW_GT_CabinAirFilter_Replace_DIY.pdf (1.06 MB, 388 views)
Old 11-01-2015, 09:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 5 Gt
A good write up which I'm n the process of contemplating to avoid dealer servicing
Often wondered where they are just never bothered to look

Thanks
Old 11-01-2015, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535xi GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by daders View Post
According to literature found in this thread this is a 15 min job. I found it took significantly longer due to reinstallation tolerances...particularly with the airbag. Additionally, the footwell trim piece must be removed to access the cabin air filter housing - unlike what was reported per the referenced thread for the F01/F02.

Things to consider: are you able to contort yourself into the footwell area?

your time vs $...if you only utilize your local dealership for service the labor costs probably won't exceed your hourly rate so save yourself the headache.

However, if you like doing DIY then, by all means, read the (overly detailed) attached document. This is not difficult, just tedious as a first timer.

I am afraid I am past the point of contorting myself and fiddling around anything that has the words "air bag" in it. I am fairly certain that I could do what is described, but I am certain that a certain "Murphy" would be lurking around with one of his laws to ruin it all for me. Sometimes I think He was an optimist.

When the time comes, I will just let the dealer do it but I admire anyone who can do it DIY with a tip of the hat.

Last edited by Fish23; 11-23-2015 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Typo correction
Old 11-01-2015, 03:10 PM
There is no spoon

Thanks fish! In general I despise paying for something I can do myself. Next up: engine air filters...once they arrive
Old 11-01-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks fish! In general I despise paying for something I can do myself. Next up: engine air filters...once they arrive
So do I but a "risk assessment" based on what you posted would dissuade me from trying this one. That said, one wonders why changing out something as simple as a cabin air filter would be as involved as described in that procedure.

I have a new air filter that I was going to put into my 2011 myself (seems simple enough) but, before it was time, I decided to change the entire GT instead for a 2014 model so I will have to wait.

Last edited by Fish23; 11-02-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:07 AM
There is no spoon

I need to convey this to the missus as we bought our GT because we were talking about lowering expenses for a triathlon trip of hers to Colorado (puppy costs, bike shipment, flight vs driving) and then discovered our Audi wouldn't be big enough...

I may tweak your storyline to tell her you bought yours so you didn't have to replace an air filter! Thanks for taking one for the team...it'll really help me out
Old 11-02-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I need to convey this to the missus as we bought our GT because we were talking about lowering expenses for a triathlon trip of hers to Colorado (puppy costs, bike shipment, flight vs driving) and then discovered our Audi wouldn't be big enough...

I may tweak your storyline to tell her you bought yours so you didn't have to replace an air filter! Thanks for taking one for the team...it'll really help me out
I hadn't planned it that way but please slant the story any way you want for advantage. I'll happily back you up.

Last edited by Fish23; 11-02-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 535 GT
I did both the cabin and engine a few months ago and thought it was pretty painless. The cabin took about 1/2 hr and the engine was like a 5 min job. This is coming from someone that basically screws up everything he touches. I've been known to break tabs, strip screws, etc. but somehow this worked out smoothly. Dealer wanted $350 for the job. The hardest part was that one of the cables doesn't get removed from the airbag cover so you have to get in there with the cover hanging giving you very little space. If you're a big guy, better give it to the experts. Same thing goes with replacing kidney grills. I couldn't imagine doing that with Hulk Hogan size arms and hands.

Last edited by ndinh; 11-02-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:56 PM
There is no spoon

ndinh:
What is your targeted odometer interval for your filter changes? We are nearing 32k and I plan on keeping a 30k interval. Although it appears the cabin air filter was already replaced (due to a bolt where a torx screw should have been) and there was hardly any dirt/indication of use on ours.

I'm not sure if the engine air filters have been changed on ours so I'm looking forward to that...if the other filter ever gets delivered. I saw someone wrote up a DIY for the engine filters for the X5 N63 and they had to remove a lot more due to plastic trim and stabilizers covering the engine air filter housing. It appears we just need to use a magnetized bit or magnet to make sure not to lose any of the screws on the backside.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 535 GT
Quote:
ndinh:
What is your targeted odometer interval for your filter changes? We are nearing 32k and I plan on keeping a 30k interval. Although it appears the cabin air filter was already replaced (due to a bolt where a torx screw should have been) and there was hardly any dirt/indication of use on ours.

I'm not sure if the engine air filters have been changed on ours so I'm looking forward to that...if the other filter ever gets delivered. I saw someone wrote up a DIY for the engine filters for the X5 N63 and they had to remove a lot more due to plastic trim and stabilizers covering the engine air filter housing. It appears we just need to use a magnetized bit or magnet to make sure not to lose any of the screws on the backside.
I took my car in for the 30k mile service awhile back and that's what they recommended in addition to the standard service. Since I no longer have the free maintenance, I didn't want to pay the $350 for a relatively simple job. Same here, my cabin filter wasn't bad but the engine filter was pretty dirty. If I have time, I'll snap some quick pics of the install. It's super easy. BTW, I think once every 2 years may work for me because I drive about 8k miles/year.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:40 PM
It's A BMW Thing

Mein Auto: f11 535D & e93 335i
Did mine not long after purchasing the car, both are easy to do although the pollen filters are in a daft place
Old 02-08-2016, 12:02 AM

Doing today so I'll move to the top for reference! Thanks
Old 02-08-2016, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 530d GT
Very well done write up! -as you always do
If memory serves it took me just a short time to replace mine a couple months ago. Just as ndinh wrote. I do not remember dealing with airbag at all, as the footwell trim was quite easy to detach, just two or three small screws. Mine is 2014 so maybe there were some changes and post-LCI have different footwell trim = easier accses (just possible explanation)

Last edited by jansGT; 02-08-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:23 AM

Done
Probably one of the easiest changes I've undertaken, though admittedly, never knew where they were housed until reading the DIY guide so many thanks,
however,
left fuming at the unnecessary expense of a new set of Torx keys due to having mislaid my T27
As it turns out, U.K. Cars, under the glove box T15 X2, side Carpet T15 X1, four on the pollen filter housing T15 x4
All in, probably ten minutes work, which complimented the oil,fuel & air filter refresh c/w oil change.
Total saving towards the X6M fund 390
Old 02-08-2016, 11:58 AM
There is no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jansGT View Post
Very well done write up! -as you always do
If memory serves it took me just a short time to replace mine a couple months ago. Just as ndinh wrote. I do not remember dealing with airbag at all, as the footwell trim was quite easy to detach, just two or three small screws. Mine is 2014 so maybe there were some changes and post-LCI have different footwell trim = easier accses (just possible explanation)
Thanks! That is interesting, as can be seen in my photos the airbag unit was held in place via the same torx screws as the footwell trim. I appreciate the layered design approach, definitely helps with the build quality as each successive piece keeps the previous in place while requiring fewer attachment points and ease of disassembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock gt View Post
Done
Probably one of the easiest changes I've undertaken, though admittedly, never knew where they were housed until reading the DIY guide so many thanks,
however,
left fuming at the unnecessary expense of a new set of Torx keys due to having mislaid my T27
As it turns out, U.K. Cars, under the glove box T15 X2, side Carpet T15 X1, four on the pollen filter housing T15 x4
All in, probably ten minutes work, which complimented the oil,fuel & air filter refresh c/w oil change.
Total saving towards the X6M fund 390
Don't forget to include the VAT in your savings count.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks! That is interesting, as can be seen in my photos the airbag unit was held in place via the same torx screws as the footwell trim. I appreciate the layered design approach, definitely helps with the build quality as each successive piece keeps the previous in place while requiring fewer attachment points and ease of disassembly.

Don't forget to include the VAT in your savings count.
Quick question, that did puzzle me and may help others.
With your car being a left hand drive.... Was the filters on the left?
I note that I had no airbags under the glovebox, hence my questioning

I'm more than sure there's an airbag under my steering wheel - on the right hand side!
Old 02-08-2016, 01:11 PM
There is no spoon

Quote:
Quick question, that did puzzle me and may help others.
With your car being a left hand drive.... Was the filters on the left?
I note that I had no airbags under the glovebox, hence my questioning

I'm more than sure there's an airbag under my steering wheel - on the right hand side!
It was not, everything was on passenger side. Imagine all the broken trim pieces if the techs had to maneuver around the steering column. It is curious to me that you do not have a passenger knee airbag unit under the glovebox, I would have thought Europe leads the pack on the safety standards.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:54 AM

How odd! Not sure what item seven is and most definetly never removed,

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=72_0671
Old 02-09-2016, 06:06 AM
There is no spoon

Quote:
How odd! Not sure what item seven is and most definetly never removed,

Clearly not installed on yours, this is listed for our vin
Old 02-09-2016, 11:55 AM

Well you learn something new every day!
Best start looking for a left hand drive car to protect the wife's knees!
Old 02-27-2016, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: 535 GT X-drive
Great write up and I used it today to change out the filters. Unfortunately, I now have an error code for the passenger safety restraint Argh! My wife told me I would probably screw something up, and now it appears she might be right. Anyone have a suggestion on why I have this fault?

Kevin
Old 02-28-2016, 10:51 AM
There is no spoon

Sounds as though perhaps you screwed something up! Sorry, couldn't resist...

I would double check the knee airbag electrical connections. If that doesn't rectify the issue, you may have a weird quinky dink and then only way I know how to easily track down what is going on would be using Rheingold.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: 535 GT X-drive
Thanks man. I'm going to check the wiring next weekend and call my local repair guy if that doesn't cure it. Keepin' my fingers crossed.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
bmw, cabin air filter, diy, f07

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
Today's Posts Search