Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Keith3679 Keith3679 is offline
Registered User
Location: Bedford, NH
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 69
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i
2012 X5 E70, 72k Miles, High Pressure Fuel Pump replaced after long crank!

Here we go again! The same issues which made me dump my 08 335i are now appearing in my 2012 X5 after just 72k miles! I brought my vehicle in three times for issues with extended crank times. After two software updates and an attempt at a third, I insisted to the service foreman that a software update would not fix the issue a third time and it appeared as though the fuel was not making it to the engine on time.

The dealer unwillingly replaced the HPFP, and bam, back to new again! E70 owners, beware!

Really, what is going on with BMW and these HPFP's? May be my last BMW forever, what you think? Anybody else have this issue on their E70?

Keith
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 04-02-2014, 08:50 AM
Pat_X5's Avatar
Pat_X5 Pat_X5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Gabriel Valley - So Cal
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,941
Mein Auto: '14 F10 +'16 LR Discovery
Yes, have heard of some other gas X5 which had similar problems.

Might be a small number for the X5 - not like the 335i which was awful..

I am glad I have had diesels and never had such an issue - my retired 335d was perfect and currently my X5d is just as great.

Next car consider a diesel ???
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-02-2014, 09:14 AM
v8power v8power is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: IL
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 198
Mein Auto: 2013 550xi M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith3679 View Post
May be my last BMW forever, what you think?

Keith
Atleast im not the only one with this quote, haha. I've said it my my previous 550i and now my x5. This time its for real. I don't expect them to last forever, but come on ,30k miles and things start to failed.
As a car enthusiast, this X had made me lost all interest. To the point where i dont even want to wash it as later down few months some **** will break again.

Bmw is a POS! Sorry if I offend this forum. Banned me if needed. But thats the truth. I give up. Goodluck to all owners and many miles to come.

Sincerely,
V8power
__________________
2011 X5 35i Sport
2007 E92 335i
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-02-2014, 09:49 AM
rpoitras rpoitras is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NY
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5
Sounds similar to this issue, which is due to a $20 relay: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d+start&page=2

I hope the pump continues to fix your issue but if not I'd look at the relay first. My 2010 X5 also had the fuel pump replaced but I bought it CPO and it was the original owner that had the work done. I can see it in the history sheet my salesman gave me but I don't know what the actual complaint was. I bought it at 19k miles so the pump failed sometime before that (yikes!).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Keith3679 Keith3679 is offline
Registered User
Location: Bedford, NH
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 69
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i
Nope, that's a different issue. It always starts, just with a 5s crank time.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-02-2014, 12:23 PM
icuc's Avatar
icuc icuc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 471
Mein Auto: 2012 X5, 2012 MINI ALL4
What would cause the HPFP to go bad?

Do we have to keep the gas tank not to go below half the tank?
__________________
BMW Coding in Wisconsin, Remote Coding and Coding setup, BMW On-Board Navigation Maps System Update (CIC/NBT) - www.bmwminicoding.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-03-2014, 12:07 PM
n1das n1das is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Nashua, NH, USA
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 242
Mein Auto: 14 535d Xdrive, 12 X5 35d
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith3679 View Post
Nope, that's a different issue. It always starts, just with a 5s crank time.
After it starts, does it run perfectly normal and power and MPGs are all OK? If so, I suspect the HPFP did not need to be replaced. It could be something as simple as a small fuel leak somewhere, causing air to get into the system and lose prime after sitting for a while.

When was the fuel filter last changed?

Good luck.

Last edited by n1das; 04-03-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-03-2014, 12:17 PM
n1das n1das is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Nashua, NH, USA
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 242
Mein Auto: 14 535d Xdrive, 12 X5 35d
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuc View Post
What would cause the HPFP to go bad?

Do we have to keep the gas tank not to go below half the tank?
The HPFP can be destroyed very quickly by:
- Slugs of free water (from condensation, particularly during winter)
- Gasoline contaminated fuel
- Straight gasoline instead of diesel due to misfueling
- diesel fuel with low lubricity (why I always use an additive to help lubricity).

Fuel up ONLY at high volume / high turnover stations that do lots of diesel business to avoid these problems. Truck stops and busy gas stations along major routes are best. Basically buy your fuel where everybody else does in your area. Go where the big rigs go. Also regularly use an additive such as PowerService Diesel Fuel Supplement (white bottle) to take care of any water, provide lubricity, and have some anti-gel for winter months.

And FWIW, A DIESEL vehicle does not have a GAS tank.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-03-2014, 02:38 PM
lpcapital lpcapital is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oceanside, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,196
Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1das View Post
The HPFP can be destroyed very quickly by:
- Slugs of free water (from condensation, particularly during winter)
- Gasoline contaminated fuel
- Straight gasoline instead of diesel due to misfueling
- diesel fuel with low lubricity (why I always use an additive to help lubricity).

Fuel up ONLY at high volume / high turnover stations that do lots of diesel business to avoid these problems. Truck stops and busy gas stations along major routes are best. Basically buy your fuel where everybody else does in your area. Go where the big rigs go. Also regularly use an additive such as PowerService Diesel Fuel Supplement (white bottle) to take care of any water, provide lubricity, and have some anti-gel for winter months.

And FWIW, A DIESEL vehicle does not have a GAS tank.

Good luck.
And FWIW we are talking about a gasoline engine that has a GAS tank so your comment is totally irrelevant...

Now back on topic: I never read a solid explanation on what goes wrong with the HPFP, but the most recent fix for BMW involve a software update that causes the volume pump (i.e. the one in the fuel tank) to prime for longer period of time. The speculation is then that the pump gets damaged by cavitatation resulting from a combination of low pressure on the supply side of the pump and the higher volatility of gasoline.

Some talk about fuel and ethanol and lubricity but the fact that the problem is widespread in other markets too makes it less likely or at least not strictly related to the ethanol requirements of the US

I've never seen pictures of a failed HPFP so it's hard to say.
__________________



Last edited by lpcapital; 04-03-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-04-2014, 06:46 AM
n1das n1das is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Nashua, NH, USA
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 242
Mein Auto: 14 535d Xdrive, 12 X5 35d
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post
And FWIW we are talking about a gasoline engine that has a GAS tank so your comment is totally irrelevant...
*SIGHE*

Sorry about that...one of the replies above mentioned diesel and led me to believe we were talking about the HPFP in a diesel. Also all vehicles I own are diesels.

I've been enjoying the smell of diesel in the morning a little too much lately.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-07-2014, 10:30 AM
the kidd's Avatar
the kidd the kidd is offline
pay it forward
Location: boston
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,107
Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35i m sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8power View Post
Atleast im not the only one with this quote, haha. I've said it my my previous 550i and now my x5. This time its for real. I don't expect them to last forever, but come on ,30k miles and things start to failed.

As a car enthusiast, this X had made me lost all interest. To the point where i dont even want to wash it as later down few months some **** will break again.



Bmw is a POS! Sorry if I offend this forum. Banned me if needed. But thats the truth. I give up. Goodluck to all owners and many miles to come.



Sincerely,

V8power

It is a forum and you are entitled to your opinion. I had a nightmare with my 335 but my X has been great thus far.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Present: 2014 X3 msport carbon/chestnut
2013 Honda Pilot Black/gray


Past: 2013 X1 msport mineral/black (Takata)
2011 E90 M3 competition pkg Jerez/beige(i miss u so much)
2011 E70 35i titanium/black
2013 Subaru Impreza graphite/black
2011 E90 335i xdrive (bad mistake)
2005 Subaru Legacy GT
2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced, still have t-shirt)
2000 Subaru forester (winter beater)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-28-2014, 02:47 PM
ahowarth ahowarth is offline
Registered User
Location: Kansas
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i
Hey all, I am brand new to the site. I have a 2012 X5 that is in for service as I type this for the HPFP issue. I have just about 68K on my X5, started with the long cranks, then the engine malfunction - reduced power code was thrown.

Is anyone else hearing through the net that BMW is extending the warranty of that part to 10 years or 120K miles? Also I was quoted a "dealer only" part for $806.......I know parts aren't cheap but other pumps on the net are $350 or so.

Adam
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-17-2014, 04:44 AM
redwood78 redwood78 is offline
Registered User
Location: Northeast
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: e70 lci
i'm also having long crank issue on my 2011 x35i. wondering if it is the HPFP. i can't seem to find whether the n55 HPFP is warranted to 120,000 miles like the n54 or not..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-27-2015, 02:16 AM
teamlemans teamlemans is offline
Registered User
Location: UAE
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xdrive35i
I have a 2012 x5 35i that has done 51k kms. I started having the long crank issue immediately after routine service was done last week (they replaced the air filter, micro filter, spark plugs and engine oil) ........they also did some work to correct the vanos bolts due to the recall...on the 5th day after service the check engine light came on...the message was reduced power....sent the car to the AD on a recovery truck...AD called said that HPFP failed and it would take a week to get a replacement from Germany.....btw I live in the UAE
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-28-2015, 10:15 PM
61iwon 61iwon is offline
Registered User
Location: Lincoln, NE
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 3.0
Fuel pump replacement

I have a 2009 X5 3.0 i just got a couple months ago with 50K miles. Crank and crank in the morning after sitting all night, then finally started. Took to BMW dealer and let it sit overnight so they would have same condition. No fuel pressure SA told me, replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, and a relay. Service Agreement i bought paid $696 and i paid $100 deductible.

Wanted to do a chemical fuel injection cleaning (ZAK) and DC emissions service and engine decarb service. Whats up with this is it necessary very often?

I am still getting around 15.5 mpg in town, is this about average or low? I was hoping for better but couldn't afford moving up to a turbo X5, started in 2010 I believe.

Dealer was good, provided a loaner for Thursday to Tuesday.

Love my X5, what a nice drive, came from a 2005 suburban.

Dave
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-29-2015, 05:21 AM
FredoinSF FredoinSF is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NorCal and Reno
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,528
Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d 428i
IMO the fuel injection service and de carb seems like dealer is padding the bill and making sure your out of pocket makes you feel like you got BMW level dealer service.
About fuel mileage, how many miles are on it? Does it need just regular maintenance likes a clean air filter and new plugs? Depending on how / where the car is driven 15.5 might be the number. Google and read mike millers bmw lifetime maintenance white paper.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-29-2015, 10:32 AM
61iwon 61iwon is offline
Registered User
Location: Lincoln, NE
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 3.0
2009 x5 mileage

Thanks it is 2009 with 53000 miles. I am driving with a pretty light foot to keep the mileage up but it is sometimes hard to resist the power.

They may be trying to milk me a bit, i asked about the cleaning of the valves/intake manifold with the walnut shells that i saw on Youtube, SA said this injector cleaning is to help prevent the mechanical cleaning. I don't believe i saw any spark plug replacement in the service history i got from the dealer, how often is the recommended change?

Thanks for your information, Dave

Before i bought it i think they put an air filter in with the oil change. Also where i bought it they replaced the rear brake pads and resurfaced the rotors. BMW SA where i had other work done told me that you shouldn't resurface rotors, they should be replaced on BMW's. Said that it would make pads wear faster, didn't know that.

Last edited by 61iwon; 04-29-2015 at 10:39 AM. Reason: add information
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-29-2015, 07:48 PM
teamlemans teamlemans is offline
Registered User
Location: UAE
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xdrive35i
Quick update.....service advisor from the AD called said it was not a hpfp issue but a high pressure fuel rail issue....I searched for fuel rail issues but couldn't find any.....does anyone know if this is common or just an isolated issue....
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-14-2015, 11:46 AM
Bpwilli1 Bpwilli1 is offline
Registered User
Location: Roswell GA
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 2012 X5
X5 hpfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahowarth View Post
Hey all, I am brand new to the site. I have a 2012 X5 that is in for service as I type this for the HPFP issue. I have just about 68K on my X5, started with the long cranks, then the engine malfunction - reduced power code was thrown.

Is anyone else hearing through the net that BMW is extending the warranty of that part to 10 years or 120K miles? Also I was quoted a "dealer only" part for $806.......I know parts aren't cheap but other pumps on the net are $350 or so.

Adam
Adam I have not heard but also interested in any replies

My 2012 5.0 is having similar issues. A recall occurred and my SA recommended that the HPFP be replaced. Shortly there after all things bad broke loose. Engine malfunction warning, along with reduce power and a very rough ride. As we were out of town in Fl the diagnosis from a BMW dealership was spark plugs and coils were the culprit and that the computer indicated misfiring in #1 and #5. Ok replace coils and spark plugs. Same problem! After finger pointing my home dealership agreed to ship my car back, but now believes problems with Cylinder Heads, anyone out there care to weigh in or have similar experience?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-09-2016, 10:03 AM
Sib Sib is offline
Registered User
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 xDrive 35i
High Pressure fuel pump

I am experiencing the same issue. Engine light on and also seen engine malfunction message. Took my X5 to dealer and he just called and told me that they like to replace High Pressure fuel pump and spark plugs. He mentioned about misfiring cylinders errors beside fuel pump error. One thing which confused me is that he said they like to start from these and then see what happened. This sound like they are fishing and not sure whats the actual issue is. The total cost quoted to replace HPFP and spark plugs is $1700. I am not sure what to do to be honest. The vehicle is driving fine since this error happened except I lost some pickup or acceleration power.

Any advice?

Sib

2011 BMW X5 xDrive 35i (6 Cylinders)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-09-2016, 02:21 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: Sierra foothills, California USA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,915
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
"They like" to replace?!?!?!?


Time to change shops- this is an SA that is WAY too used to owners with money just bending over.

Call him up and say "if you cannot give me a precise cause and effect diagnosis, but just want to guess with my money, I will go elsewhere". (They can slap a fuel pressure gauge on the pump and monitor pressures at start up, in case they claim 'cant be done')

1700 seems very high, although you fail to provide your current mileage ....
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-09-2016, 04:43 PM
kurko kurko is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 133
Mein Auto: 550, X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sib View Post
I am experiencing the same issue. Engine light on and also seen engine malfunction message. Took my X5 to dealer and he just called and told me that they like to replace High Pressure fuel pump and spark plugs. He mentioned about misfiring cylinders errors beside fuel pump error. One thing which confused me is that he said they like to start from these and then see what happened. This sound like they are fishing and not sure whats the actual issue is. The total cost quoted to replace HPFP and spark plugs is $1700. I am not sure what to do to be honest. The vehicle is driving fine since this error happened except I lost some pickup or acceleration power.



Any advice?



Sib



2011 BMW X5 xDrive 35i (6 Cylinders)

As far as I recall BMW has 100,000 miles warranty on HPFP..known issue on n55 engine...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-09-2016, 08:02 PM
Sib Sib is offline
Registered User
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 xDrive 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurko View Post
As far as I recall BMW has 100,000 miles warranty on HPFP..known issue on n55 engine...
I think 2011 x5 is not covered by this 100000 miles warranty. I'll double check that anyway. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-09-2016, 08:13 PM
Sib Sib is offline
Registered User
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 xDrive 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
"They like" to replace?!?!?!?


Time to change shops- this is an SA that is WAY too used to owners with money just bending over.

Call him up and say "if you cannot give me a precise cause and effect diagnosis, but just want to guess with my money, I will go elsewhere". (They can slap a fuel pressure gauge on the pump and monitor pressures at start up, in case they claim 'cant be done')

1700 seems very high, although you fail to provide your current mileage ....
Agreed. I have 99k on my X5! I'll definitely go somewhere else. I did some research and found couple of good BMW shops in my area.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-09-2016, 10:57 PM
kdavis61 kdavis61 is offline
X5 Fanatic
Location: Denver,CO
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 112
Mein Auto: 2005 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sib View Post
I think 2011 x5 is not covered by this 100000 miles warranty. I'll double check that anyway. Thanks.

2011 is covered. I had mine done 4-5 months back and the bill was covered by BMW.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms