Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: X5
2013 X5 M Sport -Front Tire Wear

My front tires have 21K miles and are wearing on the outside edges only. The rest of the tread on the front looks normal. I had the alignment done back in Feb 14 and I check the tire pressure regularly. Only the outside 1.5 - 2" of the tire is showing excessive wear. These are OEM run flats.

Chris
Ads by Google
Old 07-18-2014, 04:17 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
and what were the SPECIFIC alignment numbers when you had it checked???

The BMW specs are massive and allow for way too much toe- which scrubs the outer edge of the fronts and inside of the rears.\

You want 0.01 to 0.02 per tire, each of the 4 corners. Forget about what dealers tell you....

Oh, there are 4 different brands of "OE run flats"....
Old 07-18-2014, 05:50 PM

The tires are Bridgestone's.

Which measure am I looking for on sheet? Camber or Toe?

Thanks

Chris
Old 07-18-2014, 08:09 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

All are important, post them if you want an analysis.

But the part that most get wrong is toe.

BMW sets it to "mid spec"...this is easy, fast and cheap. But it results in poor tire wear. I got 35k with an optimal alignment. A bad alignment - BUT STILL IN BMWs SPEC- can give you 10k
Old 07-19-2014, 04:38 AM
Ja mei!

I just got my x5 aligned with these numbers ard recommended:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=51
Old 07-19-2014, 07:18 AM

Here are the numbers.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X5.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	452612  
Old 07-19-2014, 10:06 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbuceo View Post
Here are the numbers.

Chris
I just see bad pre-alignment numbers. If that was the 'check' and they didn't fix the alignment, that explains it... IMO
Old 07-20-2014, 07:13 PM

I took my X5 for alignment and they told me they could only go down to .05 on the front toe. I told them I needed .01. They said to get that low they would have to replace a suspension part? So I ended up getting an alignment on all 4 tires. It's better that the factory setting, but not as good as what Ard recommends. I may have to try another shop. Just kiss the $149 for alignment down the drain. Btw I have 19/20's OEM Dunlop Run Flats, which are noisy now to due to feathering!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM

Updated pic with numbers after alignment.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20140702_16_19_43_Pro.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	455101  
Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thats a horrible alignment. Why did you do that?!?
Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM

I never saw the numbers until this AM. The dealer stated they are some technical issue.
This is a pic from the Techs phone.
Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Rear toe in was actually good (perfect?) before ... worse after.

I always have my alignment shop "load down" the car (see pic). Most BMW shops follow this procedure ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BMW_X5_Suspension_Systems 34.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	455135  
BMWCCA #20645
Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I never saw the numbers until this AM. The dealer stated they are some technical issue.
This is a pic from the Techs phone.
Well, have them redo it to meet your spec. You do not have to just say "do a BMW alignment"...you can say "align my car to these specs" and tell them what you want.

I am not that concerned with loading- I align the car as it is usually driven, and that is NOT with 4 adults and full load of luggage. But some disagree. Ive not seen that make much difference at all.

Toe- 0.01 to 0.02 each wheel, camber matched side to side and in the middle of the range
Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM

Email and Voice msg left with service tech. Thanks.
Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
My 2011 X5 35d with 26K miles has front tires worn out too, the rear tires look fine. Can that be because of bad alignment or BMW never rotated tires?
Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
My 2011 X5 35d with 26K miles has front tires worn out too, the rear tires look fine. Can that be because of bad alignment or BMW never rotated tires?
... based on everything that you have read and researched, what do you think the answer is?
BMWCCA #20645
Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Hey bud, whereya been?

Answer is both.

Alignment is not 'binary' is in "aligned" versus "not aligned"...
All wtihin the BMW spec you can have poor, ok and optimal alignment.

As stated, DO NOT just have the dealer 'do an alignment'- they will do whaver is fastest and is in the green...you want to tell them "this is what I want, set it to THESE values".

(And even doing that the SA will say 'sure', then the tech wil do a crap job, and when you get there the tech and SA will be forced to make up some nonsense about how they did it for 'the best handling' or whatever...all so they dont need to do it again.)
Old Today, 08:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Hey bud, whereya been?

Answer is both.

Alignment is not 'binary' is in "aligned" versus "not aligned"...
All wtihin the BMW spec you can have poor, ok and optimal alignment.

As stated, DO NOT just have the dealer 'do an alignment'- they will do whaver is fastest and is in the green...you want to tell them "this is what I want, set it to THESE values".

(And even doing that the SA will say 'sure', then the tech wil do a crap job, and when you get there the tech and SA will be forced to make up some nonsense about how they did it for 'the best handling' or whatever...all so they dont need to do it again.)
Hi ard,

I have been out for sometime now from this forum. I used to frequent here when I bought my X5.

My X5 is now over 3 years old now and it's only lately I have noticed the difference in the front and rear tire tread.

I now understand that you don't just align a car, it has to be aligned to some predefined specs. In my case, I have never had an alignment of any kind done yet and I'm sure BMW didn't do it either in any of the maintenance visits. BMW does tire rotation as a part of maintenance...right? Need to lookup old work orders.

I have 26K on the tires, is it normal for the front tires to wear out by this mileage. If not, should I just get new tires (since I was negligent in not getting alignment done on time) or should go for an alignment even now (with predefined specs)?

Thanks.
Old Today, 08:59 AM
Ja mei!

The Dueller H/P's wear quickly as they are a very soft rubber. I think their life expectancy is 30k miles.
Old Today, 09:28 AM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
... I have never had an alignment of any kind done yet and I'm sure BMW didn't do it either in any of the maintenance visits. BMW does tire rotation as a part of maintenance...right?

I have 26K on the tires, is it normal for the front tires to wear out by this mileage. If not, should I just get new tires (since I was negligent in not getting alignment done on time) or should go for an alignment even now (with predefined specs)?

Thanks.
Alignments are not part of OE service maintenance on a new car. As a matter of fact, the original alignment on the car when it was newly delivered was only warranteed for 2,000 miles. There is no way for anyone to find out during those first 2,000 miles if anything is wrong, or not ... Tire rotation can/will be done as a courtesy during routine service, but not if you have a staggered set up.

I'd be very curious to know to what spec the factory aligns the cars on delivery. My guess is "as long as it is in the GREEN zone of the spec".

As far as your existing tires ... you/the car will always benefit from an optimal alignment. Measure the thread depth (on top of the wear bar) across the entire profile for each tire: if only the shoulders are worn and everything else is greater than 4/32, you could potentially get another 10K mi out of this set with an optimal alignment ... IMO.

If the car is a lease, be aware that you could be charged for new tires if the car has tires below 4/32 ...
BMWCCA #20645
Old Today, 11:18 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Hi ard,

I have been out for sometime now from this forum. I used to frequent here when I bought my X5.

My X5 is now over 3 years old now and it's only lately I have noticed the difference in the front and rear tire tread.

I now understand that you don't just align a car, it has to be aligned to some predefined specs. In my case, I have never had an alignment of any kind done yet and I'm sure BMW didn't do it either in any of the maintenance visits. BMW does tire rotation as a part of maintenance...right? Need to lookup old work orders.

Thanks.

My point is BMWs predefined specs are super wide and will not give you an optimal alignemtn.

The DO NOT EVER check alignment..ever. If you insist and it is under 2000 miles, they will check it if you agree to pay for it should it be within spec. it is NOT part of maintenance.

BMW does NOT rotate tire. Ever. Despite all tire mfgs saying it will help add 30-50% to the life of the tires, BMW recommends against it. Why? because their silly long free maintenance intervals are too long for tire rotation. Tires get wear patterns by the time you get to the first visit- too late to rotate. So they dont.

If the tires are worn out, get new tires and an optimal alignment. If you have another 5k miles of life, Id spring for an aligment now.