Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:37 AM

Send a message via MSN to Fars
Mein Auto: BMW 325 CI
X5 E70 2012 Fan Noise Overheating

Hi guys,

I had this problem with my X5 for 2nd week and it's only getting worst need a good. Radiator fan is making very loud strange short noises like fan would literally spin (at the max speed making very loud noise) for 3-5 secs and turn off than after 5-10 secs it would spin again and again in circle. Today I had to drive 50 miles (with a/c on) the fan was acting crazy on and off for 5-10 seconds ... then the warning light came on saying the engine temp is running hot. I stopped the vehicle and let it cool down for 30 mins. Started the vehicle a/c was off and i put max heat to reduce the engine temp. Almost melted in the car ..

Last 7 miles i couldn't stand the heat anymore and turn the heater off - the fan noise was gone. Drove home no high temp warnings, the fan did make a sound. However, once i put a/c on or heater (which supposed reduce the temp from my knowledge) the fan starts acting up making very short loud spinning noises and eventually engine will overheat.

Here's a youtube link with a short video :

I can't figure it out if its a radiator fan or the actual water pump? If anyone had the same problem please help me out
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2016, 05:40 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d (E70)
With AC on - snowflake lit - it is always at MAX, throttled only for engine idle power demand, throttled to prevent evaporator icing, and to minimize WOT power demand. Cabin air temperature is regulated by hot water valves.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:55 AM

I have this car for 2.5 years and never had this problem till now. Before, the fan would produce a fairly quiet purr and now all I get is crazy fan revs - The fan doesn't purrr anymore.. The engine would overheat if driving for 30 mins or more... So, Doug you saying it's fan ?
Old 07-20-2016, 08:05 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Water pump
Water pump
Water pump

Keep screwing around and you will either get stranded or damage the motor...or both.

Lots of posts on this symptom... Lots.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:26 AM
Registered Boozer

Mein Auto: 1997 M3 Sedan
Damn, nearly $400 for the pump at the dealer! Add in the thermostat, hoses, expansion tank, and BMW coolant and its $600 easy just in parts.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:23 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d (E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fars View Post
[ ... ]So, Doug you saying it's fan ?
Absolutely not! I am saying that you and many others have no idea how BMW HVAC works, and ass*u*me it's just like your '57 Chevy. It is not!
Old 07-20-2016, 11:18 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Absolutely not! I am saying that you and many others have no idea how BMW HVAC works, and ass*u*me it's just like your '57 Chevy. It is not!

Dont understand why there is ANY discussion of AC in this thread...

OP, the water pump is FAILING. Not 'failed'...it is in the phase where it is working on occasion, hence these odd symptoms. Not like the old days of hard failures, when it dies and thats that.

Search. Read.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Dont understand why there is ANY discussion of AC in this thread...

OP, the water pump is FAILING. Not 'failed'...it is in the phase where it is working on occasion, hence these odd symptoms. Not like the old days of hard failures, when it dies and thats that.

Search. Read.
+1 +1 +1
Just had the same thing happen on our 2012 X5. Ended up being the water pump. that fixed the issue.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Easy. Water pump 100%.
Make sure your expansion tank isn't leaking. They like crack when the car overheats.

Best thing to is water pump thermostat and expansion tank (if cracked) and coolant of coarse. Should be about 4-5hr job from dealer. Not too bad to do on your own though. If you are handy.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:46 AM

Thank you all for quick replies. Expansion tank seems to be ok no leaks. I'm wondering if hoses need to be replaced if so which ones ?
So far i got pump and new thermo and booked an appt for Tuesday not driving for now.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:34 AM
Registered Boozer

For peace of mind, I would just do it all. WP, thermostat, all 5 hoses, expansion tank, and flush the coolant. Use BMW blue coolant and distilled water, 1:1.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=17_0458
Old 07-21-2016, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Don't really need to do the hoses if they are ok but totally up to you. Expansion tank is worth doing because they do crack and leak.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:11 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Agree on the hoses, seems like a waste of $$$ on a 4-5year old car. Hoses these days are good for a LONG time.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:28 AM
Registered Boozer

It's the underhood temps from the turbo that worry me, intense heat cycles, more so than with NA engines. Plus the OP did drive the car with the high temp warning light on.

The hoses can't be more than another couple hundred bucks in parts, the coolant will need to be dumped anyway and most of the hose end retaining clips are easily accessible. The pump will be out, the thermostat will be out, so the swap of hoses seems like low hanging fruit to me. Would hate for the OP to have to revisit another cooling issue in the future and start another thread.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' BMW X5 35d
It is water pump.
If you are driving car for short runs, open up heating all they way and set ventilation to the maximum. DO NOT turn on AC.
That will allow additional cooling off.
You are lucky that is N55 engine that has open deck and much better flow of coolant. Diesel would die by now or new B58 gasoline 3.0 twin turbo engine.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW M3
Is there a DIY for water pump on this engine? I searched but could not find one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Today, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5
Have 2011 X5 i35

Mine started out making those short on and off aux fan noise. NOW it is constantly a loud aux fan that only comes on when A/C is on.
Dealership service says it's normal but I have talked to many BMW owners in parking lots and in traffic and they hear my car and say their's doesn't make that kind of noise.
SO FRUSTRATED! Already had my water pump and thermostat replaced at a cost of $1800.00 because car overheated when I turned off A/C and drove for 2 miles.
Drove car 10 miles next day to dealership with A/C off and car DID NOT OVERHEAT! Did I get ripped off???
Old Today, 09:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Sokol View Post
Mine started out making those short on and off aux fan noise. NOW it is constantly a loud aux fan that only comes on when A/C is on.
Dealership service says it's normal but I have talked to many BMW owners in parking lots and in traffic and they hear my car and say their's doesn't make that kind of noise.
SO FRUSTRATED! Already had my water pump and thermostat replaced at a cost of $1800.00 because car overheated when I turned off A/C and drove for 2 miles.
Drove car 10 miles next day to dealership with A/C off and car DID NOT OVERHEAT! Did I get ripped off???
Well, you are in SC. I know how SC can be in summer.
Did you check your coolant temperature?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search