Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5
Really loud auxiliary fan

Hello fellow BMW X5 owners:
I have a 2011 X5 in which the auxiliary fan comes on only when I have the A/C on.

It starts even after car has been sitting overnight and I start car and it comes on and it is LOUD. Not a noise from it being defective but just so powerful.
Took to dealership and they say it's normal but I have talked to many BMW owners in parking lots or in traffic and NONE of them say their's sounds like mine does.
When I lift the hood the air coming out is like a HURRICANE!
I can even hear it with windows up.
Why would aux fan come on as soon as I start car and only when A/C is on. If I turn OFF A/C the fan goes off as soon as I do.
ANY HELP MUCH APPRECIATED! THANKS!
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2016, 09:06 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d (E70)
E70 Climate Controls Systems, page 38. Only mention

The A/C compressor is always loaded while A/C is on, and is ONLY throttled for idle power control, to prevent evaporator icing, and for high power control. Temperature is regulated by hot water to the left and right sides of the heating heat exchanger.

It's hot summer in Charleston. How noisy the fan is I can't tell, but too noisy is often caused by damaged blades.

Quote:
Pressure Sensor via Junction Box
The refrigerant pressure input signal is a direct junction box input signal and is relayed to the IHKA via the K-CAN. The IHKA requests actuation of the auxiliary blower by the DME (ECM) depending on the refrigerant pressure [switch visible in the aluminum pipe passenger side rear of the engine compartment].

The IHKA determines the relevant A/C compressor load torque on the basis of the input signals from the pressure sensor and the compressor speed. The DME (ECM) control units are notified of the load torques by the IHKA and used by the DME (ECM) as input variables for actuating the electric fan.
Consult with an automotive HVAC shop. Sorry, I've been away too long to make a recommendation.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 07-23-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Sokol View Post
Hello fellow BMW X5 owners:
I have a 2011 X5 in which the auxiliary fan comes on only when I have the A/C on.

It starts even after car has been sitting overnight and I start car and it comes on and it is LOUD. Not a noise from it being defective but just so powerful.
Took to dealership and they say it's normal but I have talked to many BMW owners in parking lots or in traffic and NONE of them say their's sounds like mine does.
When I lift the hood the air coming out is like a HURRICANE!
I can even hear it with windows up.
Why would aux fan come on as soon as I start car and only when A/C is on. If I turn OFF A/C the fan goes off as soon as I do.
ANY HELP MUCH APPRECIATED! THANKS!
Again, if this is OK then it is hot SC summer!
Old 07-23-2016, 11:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E70 35i, S13
The fan is cooling the AC condenser. That's normal.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search