Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Need to replace tires

Hi guys,

Went to nearby dealer to check for " Check Engine" light and he scared s out of me saying my tires are dangerous to drive and they need to be replaced immediately.

I have a 2013 X535D with sports activity package, 20 inch alloy wheels. He mentioned something like Staggered wheels both front and back. And gave me a quote of 1950 with installation.

It's a leased car and i am half way through my lease. Can someone please educate me about tires and my options in this case. Where can i shop for tires and what are issues if i replace existing tires with different brand tires ?

Also i have tire insurance, will it help in any way in reducing the cost ? Please help!

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2015, 08:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i
You probably have staggered 20in rims, meaning wider rims/tires in rear than front. Normal is 315/35R20 rear and 275/40R20 front.

The X5 comes with Runflat tires. Assuming you go with Runflat replacements, Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport will be about $1,500 installed at Discount Tire (aka Tires America). Even my BMW dealer has an online BMW Tire Center that I pull up a full set installed for $1,560. And best I've seen was a sale at discounttiredirect on EBay where with promo code you get get the tires delivered for $1,150 and then pay maybe $100 to $150 local for mount, balance and install for $$1300'ish total (but that promo is over and just sharing to explain about best you could expect with some luck and extra coordination on your part).

If you don't want run flats....because you have a spare and/or don't care if stuck having to call road service... Then non run flats are cheaper.

But you should look at what your lease return requirements are, and estimate if you'll likely need even another set of tires before return to meet requirements.

As for 'tire insurance' I'd bet it's a road hazard type cover, maybe for rims and tires. But I'm not versed in those, so reading what it says it covers might be helpful...
2014 Toyota Sienna Ltd AWD
(detect a pattern....we like AWD)

Last edited by Longhorn90; 05-20-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: xDrive 50i
No, tire insurance covers damage to the tire, not wear.

There are many threads that discuss different brands and models of tires. Have you looked at them?
Old 05-20-2015, 10:57 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
How many miles?

You MUST install tires that meet BMW specs. So this is ONE of the tire models that BMW shipped the car with. If you have RFTs you need RFTs.

How is your alignment? If you are half way through a 36k lease you are at 18k miles. I predict your toe will be too high which has caused you to wear out this set. If you install new ones, you will probably not have lega tread when you turn the lease in. So check the alignment. READ MY POSTS on this. Dont just go to a dealer or shop and say "do an alignment". There are specific numbers. $99. Done.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:09 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Because it's a lease, you don't have many options:

- must return car with "same" tires as originally installed. You can shop around but it's going to be $1200 to $1600 new, installed and balanced.
- must return car with run fat tires that have at least 4/32 tread
- if you are halfway through your lease, you'll go through another set before you return your car. You'll have to go through it again at lease end. Read your lease Terms and Conditions
- As ARD suggest: get a proper alignment. Tire wear will be minimized.

If you are close to lease end, shop for a set of used RFT with 6/32 or better and don't wear them down to 4/32 by the time your are ready to return the lease. Many people on this forum and others take the OE RFT off and sell them for about half the price of a new set.

Here's an example, starting asking price of $1,000 for 4, eventually sold for $400 ... - http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1089783

GL.
BMWCCA #20645
Old 05-22-2015, 09:20 AM
Badasblkbmwx5

Mein Auto: X5
If you have a Costco card go there. They have a$70 rebate on 4 tires.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: E90 M3; '12 X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
How many miles?

You MUST install tires that meet BMW specs. So this is ONE of the tire models that BMW shipped the car with. If you have RFTs you need RFTs.

How is your alignment? If you are half way through a 36k lease you are at 18k miles. I predict your toe will be too high which has caused you to wear out this set. If you install new ones, you will probably not have lega tread when you turn the lease in. So check the alignment. READ MY POSTS on this. Dont just go to a dealer or shop and say "do an alignment". There are specific numbers. $99. Done.
wait, what dealer will do an alignment for $99? mine quoted me some outrageous number. I suspect I have a toe issue as well, according to the dealer's visual inspection on my tires. I can't tell whether I have a toe issue when I inspect it.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i
My dealer will do an alignment for $99 if done along with buying tires. $159 otherwise.
2014 Toyota Sienna Ltd AWD
(detect a pattern....we like AWD)
Old 05-22-2015, 02:09 PM
Freude am Fahren

Nothing magical about doing alignment at a BMW dealership (unless all surrounding options have incompetent techs).

I get mine done at our local Honda/Acura dealership. They allow me to talk to the tech and walk around the car - $89.95. With a coupon it can drop to $69.95.
BMWCCA #20645
Old 05-22-2015, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d (E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
Nothing magical about doing alignment at a BMW dealership [ ... ]
LOL Really? How many threads/topics/posts/words do you imagine have been written on the topic? "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

From what I have gathered while preparing to have an alignment done; Caster is not adjustable, set by control arm length. Camber and toe should be minimum but not zero by a bit.

ARD has been immensely helpful but still is addressing many variations, too many to be explicit. I want maximum RFT life for a freeway cruiser. When I need 'handling', it will be on ice and snow.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35D '14 MB E350 '0
Tread depth

My local BMW dealer measured the tread depth from the wear bars - not from bottom of the tread which is the accepted method. Have your tires checked somewhere else.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:12 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
LOL Really? How many threads/topics/posts/words do you imagine have been written on the topic? "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

From what I have gathered while preparing to have an alignment done; Caster is not adjustable, set by control arm length. Camber and toe should be minimum but not zero by a bit.

ARD has been immensely helpful but still is addressing many variations, too many to be explicit. I want maximum RFT life for a freeway cruiser. When I need 'handling', it will be on ice and snow.
Everything what you describe can be accomplished by any competent shop with properly calibrated equipment and a willing and able technician.

BMW dealers just charge more ... A LOT MORE.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: E90 M3; '12 X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post

yes really.

I use to take my Evo 8 to a track shop, the only value added there was they'll ask you how you'd like to drive the car, the purpose, (track/autocross understeer/oversteer preferences) and the guy will set it up to your specs.

If you take it to any tire shop, the minimum they'll do is pull up the factory specs and align it. Any real tire shop has the requisite machine and technician to do the work. It'll take you longer to drive and wait for your appointment than it will for the guy to actually do the work.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:21 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
wait, what dealer will do an alignment for $99? mine quoted me some outrageous number. I suspect I have a toe issue as well, according to the dealer's visual inspection on my tires. I can't tell whether I have a toe issue when I inspect it.
Last place I would have an alignment done is a BMW dealership.... any tire shop, any alignment shop

I want to hang out, talk to the guy, snoop around under the car... see what he says. Make sure he hits the numbers I want. Hand him $10 or $20, everyone is happy. The know me now, take their time. BS about cars, etc.

A BMW dealer will blithely ignore your desired settings, and return the car to you with a crappy setting and say "we know best'.

The ONLY way to know if you have a toe issue is an alignment rack.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:45 AM

Thanks!

Thanks for your detailed response. I started looking around for better prices for Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport. Discount Direct has them for 1333 and Tire rack for 1368. These are delivered prices. Still shopping around. Thanks for your input again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn90 View Post
You probably have staggered 20in rims, meaning wider rims/tires in rear than front. Normal is 315/35R20 rear and 275/40R20 front.

The X5 comes with Runflat tires. Assuming you go with Runflat replacements, Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport will be about $1,500 installed at Discount Tire (aka Tires America). Even my BMW dealer has an online BMW Tire Center that I pull up a full set installed for $1,560. And best I've seen was a sale at discounttiredirect on EBay where with promo code you get get the tires delivered for $1,150 and then pay maybe $100 to $150 local for mount, balance and install for $$1300'ish total (but that promo is over and just sharing to explain about best you could expect with some luck and extra coordination on your part).

If you don't want run flats....because you have a spare and/or don't care if stuck having to call road service... Then non run flats are cheaper.

But you should look at what your lease return requirements are, and estimate if you'll likely need even another set of tires before return to meet requirements.

As for 'tire insurance' I'd bet it's a road hazard type cover, maybe for rims and tires. But I'm not versed in those, so reading what it says it covers might be helpful...
Old 05-27-2015, 10:05 AM

Thanks!

Thanks for your input.

I leased a corporate car at 8K miles and now have 23000 miles on the car. I have 15K more to go in next 1 and half year. I guess i should get the tires replaced now by all means. 23K miles is on a higher end i assume.

Now looking for new tires, 275/ 40 R20 for front and 315 / 35 R20 for rear. Any suggestion which breand should i be looking at ? One option i got to know was from an other member who suggested Bridgestone HP Dueler Sport....Any other options for this set ? And how do i analyse which tire is better ? I am a newbie to tire research and really appreciate any pointers.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
How many miles?