Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:04 AM

Mein Auto: 428i GC
iPhone 6s not charging via USB plug?

Hi Guys,
So my 2011 X5 has a USB port in the arm rest right next to the Aux port. When I plug my USB lightning cable into the arm rest and then in my phone it shows the lightning bolt likes it charging but after driving for 2 hours in the vehicle the phone battery didn't go up at all. Is this an issue with not enough voltage to the USB port to charge my iPhone?

My wife's X1 has the same issue but she is using a BMW y Adapter that is for the old 30 pin connector and then she bought a lighting adapter to attach to it, so I always thought that was why it never worked in her car.

But now having this X5 and seeing it do the same thing with out the y adapter I am wondering what's the point???

Any help would be great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2016, 03:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
Charges my iPod Touch fine in my 2012 X5. I've got a USB-lightning cable, works well for me.
formerly '69 BMW 2002 and '67 BMW 2000CS

Last edited by Michael47; 07-23-2016 at 04:00 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:17 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d (E70)
I suspect that technology has moved on and that the E70 USB charging capability is minimal. It does charge my navigator's smartphone but barely, particularly while using high power apps. For our next road trip I will upgrade to 10 Watt USB chargers supplied by the lighter/power outlet.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
I suspect that technology has moved on and that the E70 USB charging capability is minimal. It does charge my navigator's smartphone but barely, particularly while using high power apps. For our next road trip I will upgrade to 10 Watt USB chargers supplied by the lighter/power outlet.

But if you do that they don't you lose the ability to connect to the iDrive system and use it for music on your phone?

Old 07-23-2016, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
On my 2011 X5 35d, the armrest USB charging port works great on my iPhone 6S. I do use a genuine Apple Lightning cable. Maybe try a genuine cable?
Old 07-23-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5Boise View Post
On my 2011 X5 35d, the armrest USB charging port works great on my iPhone 6S. I do use a genuine Apple Lightning cable. Maybe try a genuine cable?

The I have in the vehicle is gen, it's just older. Maybe I will go buy a new on this week and see if it fixes the problem. If not I will buy a cig plug and use that, and just use Bluetooth audio

Old 07-23-2016, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit27 View Post
The I have in the vehicle is gen, it's just older. Maybe I will go buy a new on this week and see if it fixes the problem. If not I will buy a cig plug and use that, and just use Bluetooth audio

I'd do the same as well (if my USB charge port didn't work in the arm rest after trying a different Lightning cable) and opt for using a cigarette lighter USB adapter--that's always a good standby option.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:18 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d (E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit27 View Post
But if you do that they don't you lose the ability to connect to the iDrive system and use it for music on your phone?
We use discs for music and BT for hands free phone.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search