Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto:
2007 X5 4.8 overheating, cooling fluid lost

Hi there. Today I was sitting in my BMW X5 and the engine was running in idle. After 20 min I heard a noise coming from the engine area and steam start developing under the hood. I turned off the engine right away and opened the hood. There I had to see that the cooling fluid is running out somewhere at the bottom front of the engine. Now I am wondering. Is there a safety valve which releases the fluid by to much pressure caused by overheating? Or do I need to get a tow truck?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 750Li/2008 X5 4.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scabies View Post
Hi there. Today I was sitting in my BMW X5 and the engine was running in idle. After 20 min I heard a noise coming from the engine area and steam start developing under the hood. I turned off the engine right away and opened the hood. There I had to see that the cooling fluid is running out somewhere at the bottom front of the engine. Now I am wondering. Is there a safety valve which releases the fluid by to much pressure caused by overheating? Or do I need to get a tow truck?

Hello, sorry to hear that. Unfortunately this happened to me as well (but I was in the middle of a trip and at a rest stop with the engine at idle), but I could add coolant and it would last about 30 miles or so, then the light came back on. It was replaced under warranty...information in quotes was taken off the repair order:
"Found coolant hose running between both heads & upper radiator hose leaking" "Installed 17 12 7 536 236 :SA-Vent Pipe" "Installed 07 12 9 952 104 - Hose Clamp"

Not saying it is the same thing as yours, but it might be. Good luck

2012 750Li, Carbon Black Metallic/Oyster&Black, M Sport (Current)
2008 X5 4.8 (Sport), Platinum Bronze Metallic/Tobacco&Black (Current)
2006 750i, Sapphire Black Metallic/Black
2002 745i, Sapphire Black Metallic/Beige
2002 530i (5 speed), Sapphire Black Metallic/Black

Last edited by Masoe; Yesterday at 01:55 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Get it towed, do not restart it. BMW's do not tolerate being driven in low coolant conditions, that's when replacement of a cheap plastic cooling part turn to engine failure faster than you realize. I believe your engine (N62) will shut itself off to prevent engine damage, but I certainly would not test it on my own car.

Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto:
Ok. I found out what the problem is. My reservoir tank for the cooling fluid is cracked. I don't know how this could happen. Cause I always sought there is pressure in the cooling system and this looks like it got sucked in.... i will try to post a picture

Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto:
Here the picture

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1405978776794.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	453105  
Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
All plastic cooling system parts fail with time and or miles - usually one after the other. The expansion tank, thermostat and radiator side tanks are common plastic parts with high failure rate starting around 90k miles on some BMW models. The water pumps used to be a problem as well, but I think the one in the N62 holds up better than previous generations.