Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: Mercedes C320
X5 CPO - Worth It?

Brand new to the forum - looks like you guys (and gals) have a ton of resources. I'm looking at a 2009 X5 and I've noticed quite a big swing in price between the CPO and non-CPO (private party or non-BMW dealers). I'm talking about a $5K-$8K difference, which is significant. The specific X5's I'm considering are 2009 model year with high teens to low 20k miles - pretty cherry. After reviewing the BMW CPO warranty, it seems like it's not that comprehensive - maybe it'll prevent a financial catastrophe if the transmission blows up but other than that, I'm not sure if it's worth it. There will still be a small balance (<1 year) on the original factory warranty...but what are your thoughts on a non-CPO X5, specifically?
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2012, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipermatt View Post
Brand new to the forum - looks like you guys (and gals) have a ton of resources. I'm looking at a 2009 X5 and I've noticed quite a big swing in price between the CPO and non-CPO (private party or non-BMW dealers). I'm talking about a $5K-$8K difference, which is significant. The specific X5's I'm considering are 2009 model year with high teens to low 20k miles - pretty cherry. After reviewing the BMW CPO warranty, it seems like it's not that comprehensive - maybe it'll prevent a financial catastrophe if the transmission blows up but other than that, I'm not sure if it's worth it. There will still be a small balance (<1 year) on the original factory warranty...but what are your thoughts on a non-CPO X5, specifically?
I bought a 2010 non cpo 35d and have no regrets.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Sup3rman

Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
The CPO is actually pretty comprehensive compared to most warranties. The only items not covered are regular maintenance (tires, oil changes, alignments, etc) and the radio/Nav system.
From the BMW website: Engine, automatic/manual transmission, final-drive assembly, steering, hydraulic brake parts, anti-lock braking system, electrical, air conditioning/heating system, cooling system and fuel system.

I've offered my vehicle for sale at my lease buy out, and to add CPO to it would be at least 4.5K just to certify it. Tires have to be near new, as well as all maintenance up to date.

My thoughts: If you are planning to drive lots of miles in the first 6 years, or the vehicle has higher miles when you buy it, a CPO might be worth it. But I don't really drive enough to make a CPO worth the $ spent. I would venture to guess that more money would be spent past 100K miles, but I wouldn't be close to hitting 100k miles in the first 6 years. There are also other BMW warranties available for purchase if the vehicle still has the original manufacturer warranty intact.

On a side note: BMW updated the iDrive in the 2010+ X5 models.. you may do some research on this, as several have posted regrets about not knowing that the iDrive changed (much faster, better interface, and hard-drive based navigation instead of DVD)

GL

2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)
Old 06-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
First, KNOW that the CPO process is generally a cursory inspection just making sure the maintenance is up to date and the tires and brakes are over 50%. Dealers will whine about how the CPO includes refurbishment to exacting standards...it may, but YOU can also look at a car prior to buying it and see if it even NEEDS anything... so this brings us to the SOLE value of the CPO: the warranty.

The CPO warranty IS the BMW "Gold Plan"..you can look it up on the website under extended warranties... They cost around 3500-4200... You can buy this for ANY car you buy if it has existing BMW warranty...So you should pay no more than the spread of the cost of a Gold plan.

You can also get "better than CPO" by purchasing the BMW Platinum plan. Adds all the nav/electronics.

Find someone trading in a 30 month lease, pay their lease end buy out, add the platinum... Done for 6 or 7/100
Old 06-19-2012, 05:39 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto:
I agree with what ARD posted. The main benefit of the CPO is the extended warranty (which is similar to the BMW Gold plan). If the difference in price is between $5,000 to $8,000 and the car is still under the original warranty then the non CPO may be the better deal. You can always add a warranty before the original factory warranty expires for less money.
(818) 552-4611

danieldutton@pacificbmw.com
Old 06-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
Get the CPO
Old 06-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Get the CPO
why?
Old 08-23-2012, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 x5 35d, Toyota Camry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post

Find someone trading in a 30 month lease, pay their lease end buy out, add the platinum... Done for 6 or 7/100
Any particular reason you mention a 30 month lease? I am considering doing this and am looking for any calculators, spreadsheets etc that I can use to evaluate such deals? Any pointers appreciated, thanks!
Old 08-23-2012, 11:18 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

No reason at all. Although OP was looking for a 2009 and this thread was earlier in 2012, so I did some math and 30 months seemed to make it.

In terms of evaluating you deals...no good way.

There are generally 3 sources of info:

- KBB, Edmunds, etc. Use trade in value. Add 1000 for private sales, and 2k to 8k more for dealers.
- Search for sale ads, look at asking
- READ forums on what people are seeing for pricing, both what they buy for and what they are offered for trades.

The last item will help you handicap the other two items.

GL

A
Old 08-24-2012, 04:59 AM

Thanks! Appreciate your input!
Old 08-24-2012, 05:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel@Pacific BMW View Post
I agree with what ARD posted. The main benefit of the CPO is the extended warranty (which is similar to the BMW Gold plan). If the difference in price is between $5,000 to $8,000 and the car is still under the original warranty then the non CPO may be the better deal. You can always add a warranty before the original factory warranty expires for less money.
Can you buy a BMW warranty if you did not buy the car from a BMW dealership?
Old 08-24-2012, 09:02 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

yes. go to the bmw website. Car still needs to be within the 4/50 factory plan.

Basic powertrain, Gold and Platinum plans

The CPO is identical to the Gold

A
Old 08-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Sup3rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_ny View Post
Any particular reason you mention a 30 month lease? I am considering doing this and am looking for any calculators, spreadsheets etc that I can use to evaluate such deals? Any pointers appreciated, thanks!

I just traded in a 2011 (built May of 2010), was about 2 years into the lease, had a residual of ~$36K, current buyout was $41.5K. Dealer gave me buyout, I offered it for sale at buyout on this board, but people still wanted to negotiate. Dealer will sell the car for $46-$47K+. Even KBB and NADA had trade value around $43K if I remember right.

Most diesel leases will have a residual of 56-59% of MSRP, and diesels are holding their value well - so if you can get one for the residual, you are most likely doing well, if the vehicle is in good condition, checks out, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecaX5 View Post
Can you buy a BMW warranty if you did not buy the car from a BMW dealership?
Yes, you can buy the warranty at any time until the original warranty expires, and even after, for an extra fee.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i View Post
I just traded in a 2011 (built May of 2010), was about 2 years into the lease, had a residual of ~$36K, current buyout was $41.5K. Dealer gave me buyout, I offered it for sale at buyout on this board, but people still wanted to negotiate. Dealer will sell the car for $46-$47K+. Even KBB and NADA had trade value around $43K if I remember right.
how long ago did you trade in? I have recently joined the forum. That sounds like a deal that I would've gone for!! Hopefully, I can find something similar..
Old 08-25-2012, 02:40 AM
Sup3rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_ny View Post
how long ago did you trade in? I have recently joined the forum. That sounds like a deal that I would've gone for!! Hopefully, I can find something similar..
Traded 2 weeks ago. Find something similar, take in a lease in the last year and get a great residual. GL