Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-18-2012, 03:00 PM
pudl pudl is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia, EU
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 189
Mein Auto: BMW E39 530d Touring
Meaning of symbol / cutout on the instrument cluster

Could someone tell me the meaning of the symbol in the lower bottom corner of the cluster in the attached image? It sits to the left of the 'Service Engine Soon' light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	silly_light.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	329711  
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 06-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Topaz540i's Avatar
Topaz540i Topaz540i is offline
Agnostic Priest
Location: Hillsborogh, NJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,021
Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6
Du hast mich gefragt
__________________
ESS Tuning m60 version software
m60 intake manifold
a.f.e. c.a.i.
3" obx catback
full powerflex urethane setup
545 ssk
cdv delete
m5 rear sway bar
M5 chassis rods
M5 3.15 lsd
Bc-r coilovers w/ swift springs
Akebono=suck
ss braided brake lines

coming soon:

Jb lwfw

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-18-2012, 04:10 PM
QSilver7's Avatar
QSilver7 QSilver7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northeast Indiana
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,685
Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
More than likely it is associated with you having a diesel engine. Do you have an owners manual? If so, there should be an explanation for that warning light.

We didn't get any e39 diesels here in the USA...and if as I suppose...its' associated with something like your glow plugs etc warming up...we won't have any info about it.

Again...all we have are petrol engines...and this is what our low cluster looks like...look at or for an owners manual for the diesel BMWs and you'll more than likely find the correct answer

__________________
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 06-18-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Mister Drexciya Mister Drexciya is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 75
Mein Auto: E39 2002 525iT
I think this symbol lights up in case of an overheated catalytic converter.

On a high OBC you will get a text warning instead:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=529861

Last edited by Mister Drexciya; 06-18-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-18-2012, 11:04 PM
pudl pudl is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia, EU
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 189
Mein Auto: BMW E39 530d Touring
Ich hab genau dich gefragt. Wirst du bald antworten?

There are some cutouts which are not explained in the manual. I assume it is one of the features I do not have.

Mister Drexciya seems to be correct. I spruced up the symbol with a paint program and did a 'search by image' on Google. Came up with this:

http://www.cars-directory.net/proble...cudo/6787.html

Also find the Toyota manual page attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dashboard Warning Lights1.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	329778  
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-19-2012, 05:59 AM
jygesq jygesq is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bloomfield, CT
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,183
Mein Auto: 2000 528 MT
seems like it refers to glow plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudl View Post
Could someone tell me the meaning of the symbol in the lower bottom corner of the cluster in the attached image? It sits to the left of the 'Service Engine Soon' light.
it looks like icon for that. Glow plug is heated up to ignite fuel
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-19-2012, 06:15 AM
540indiana's Avatar
540indiana 540indiana is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Beech Grove Indiana
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,723
Mein Auto: 2000 540i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
More than likely it is associated with you having a diesel engine. Do you have an owners manual? If so, there should be an explanation for that warning light.

We didn't get any e39 diesels here in the USA...and if as I suppose...its' associated with something like your glow plugs etc warming up...we won't have any info about it.

Again...all we have are petrol engines...and this is what our low cluster looks like...look at or for an owners manual for the diesel BMWs and you'll more than likely find the correct answer

Q, you should be worthy of gainful employment on here. You have been a very busy man here lately. Thanks for all your help and patience.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-19-2012, 06:33 AM
pudl pudl is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia, EU
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 189
Mein Auto: BMW E39 530d Touring
When I wrote 'lower bottom corner', I actually meant 'left bottom corner'. I hope that makes more sense
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-19-2012, 06:51 AM
the540wgn's Avatar
the540wgn the540wgn is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Jose, CA / Fort Collins, CO
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 751
Mein Auto: '02 540iT
it means "your coffee is ready"
__________________

ColdWeather+Summer+Sport--20/30 Ceramic Tint--Euro Armrest--JL 13tw5-3 Subwoofer--LED AEs
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-20-2012, 03:45 AM
pudl pudl is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia, EU
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 189
Mein Auto: BMW E39 530d Touring
It seems the warning light is a Japanese feature.

From E39 Wiring Diagrams:

Quote:
Catalytic converter overheating (Japan version only)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-20-2012, 05:31 AM
BigCo540i's Avatar
BigCo540i BigCo540i is offline
The Usual Suspect
Location: Richmond, VA
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,712
Mein Auto: 98 E39 540i - 09 E90 328i
Why ask about an "idiot light" that is not lit?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-20-2012, 06:55 AM
jygesq jygesq is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bloomfield, CT
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,183
Mein Auto: 2000 528 MT
toyota manual indicates glow plug is ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudl View Post
Ich hab genau dich gefragt. Wirst du bald antworten?

There are some cutouts which are not explained in the manual. I assume it is one of the features I do not have.

Mister Drexciya seems to be correct. I spruced up the symbol with a paint program and did a 'search by image' on Google. Came up with this:

http://www.cars-directory.net/proble...cudo/6787.html

Also find the Toyota manual page attached.
just as I first suggested
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-20-2012, 12:10 PM
dunne44 dunne44 is offline
Banned
Location: mass
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 268
Mein Auto: 540i6


Pretty sure its microfilter light could be wrong though Nothing Major
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-20-2012, 01:03 PM
tedm's Avatar
tedm tedm is offline
I'm otay. You are not.
Location: Eastern NC
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,340
Mein Auto: 98 540i Sport Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Drexciya View Post
I think this symbol lights up in case of an overheated catalytic converter.

On a high OBC you will get a text warning instead:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=529861
This guy is the winner.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
instrument cluster, warning light


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms