Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 03-07-2014, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 535XI
o-rings included with oil filter

I recently purchased a 2012 (F02) 750Li x-Drive.

I picked up a BMW oil filter and a Mahle filter (same filter but I bought one of each).

Both filters include the following:

- Filter element
- Copper Crush washer for drain plug
- Large O-ring for screw down filter canister housing
- Small O-ring

My question is what is the small o-ring for? On my E60 (different filter but same crush washer and o-rings) it is used on the filter cap housing. I don't see any need for the small o-ring.

I'm wondering if I'm must not seeing where the small o-ring goes OR if Mahle is just using the same crush washer and o-ring kit for multiple filters

Sorry if discussed before but I had no finding my answer via search.

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 03-15-2014, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 535XI
After looking at realoem and searching around more I found my answer.

Apparently some N63 engines have a drain in the oil filler cap. Mine has the drain in the oil pan but none in the oil filter cap.

On engines with the drain in oil filter cap the small o-ring is used to seal the oil filter cap drain plug.

I feel better now that I know where that small o-ring goes and that I don't need it on my engine!!!