Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-19-2012, 05:37 PM
rsandez rsandez is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 97
Mein Auto: 328i
3M window tint does it sound about right?$$

So ive been to 2 different shops one gave me a price off 300$ just because its a "BMW and its harder to work on"-.- and another local shop a "3M dealer" gave me different films to choose from and the prices were $480 "Crystalline film" $320 "color stable" and 250 for fx premium? do these prices sound fair enough? Does anyone have 3M tint on their cars if so what kind and how dark?
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 06-19-2012, 05:41 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,484
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
35% www.llumar.com or www.formulaone.com , Pinnacle Series , imho based on 30 years experience with Llumar products.
__________________

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Wihelm G Wihelm G is offline
California Über Alles
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 854
Mein Auto: 328CiC and 328iT
On my E91 I have 3M FX 15 and 30, whatever those numbers mean. It's pretty dark. It was only something like $275, but that included taking off all the old tint by some tarugo in Rosemead or Temple City, which was turning purple after one year and had deep scratches on the side windows. It also included cracking open the door side panels to glue on some moleskin so the new tint wouldn't get scratched. Guy did a fantastic job and I think he way undercharged. I think his regular price (if he didn't have to take off all the old tint), would have been closer to $150 or $175, less if you don't need the moleskin. It's just a pinche wagon, but it looks good enough and my dogs are happy. You may be more discerning.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-19-2012, 06:38 PM
TJPark01's Avatar
TJPark01 TJPark01 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hollywood, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,162
Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsandez View Post
So ive been to 2 different shops one gave me a price off 300$ just because its a "BMW and its harder to work on"-.- and another local shop a "3M dealer" gave me different films to choose from and the prices were $480 "Crystalline film" $320 "color stable" and 250 for fx premium? do these prices sound fair enough? Does anyone have 3M tint on their cars if so what kind and how dark?

I have 3M crystalline tine on a 335i Coupe. All windows are 50% and the windshield is 70%. PM me if you want the name of a very good tint shop. The tint work is excellent and I have had 6 cars tinted there with no problems and full lifetime warranty.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-20-2012, 08:08 AM
JSbushpilot JSbushpilot is offline
Registered User
Location: Utah
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 335 XI
just had mine done with 3m here in utah. Cost was 150 for whole car to be tinted. Shop did exelent job with 2 year warranty.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-20-2012, 11:46 AM
3ismagic#'s Avatar
3ismagic# 3ismagic# is offline
HerrDoktorProfessor
Location: Another State of Mind
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,265
Mein Auto: '11 335d
Stealership in PHX charges $180.
__________________

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Wihelm G Wihelm G is offline
California Über Alles
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 854
Mein Auto: 328CiC and 328iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
Stealership in PHX charges $180.
For FX Premium that is good deal, for Crystalline it is a very good to the point of I doubt it deal.

BTW, if the Opie is asking about how dark peeps tint is, he's probably not interested in Crystalline.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-20-2012, 07:59 PM
3.1L Z 3.1L Z is offline
Registered User
Location: TX
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 63
Mein Auto: '06 330i
3M Color Stable is $275.00 in San Antonio.
__________________
'08 335i Sp Pkg, Cobb and wife's '07 X3si
San Antonio, TX

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-20-2012, 08:10 PM
TJPark01's Avatar
TJPark01 TJPark01 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hollywood, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,162
Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.1L Z View Post
3M Color Stable is $275.00 in San Antonio.
This is about $100 too much for that film. Look else where.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-20-2012, 09:47 PM
BBMW528i BBMW528i is offline
Nice Guy
Location: Native: Kansas City | Current: Hollywood, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 135
Mein Auto: 09' BMW 328i; 04' BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wihelm G View Post
On my E91 I have 3M FX 15 and 30, whatever those numbers mean. It's pretty dark. It was only something like $275, but that included taking off all the old tint by some tarugo in Rosemead or Temple City, which was turning purple after one year and had deep scratches on the side windows. It also included cracking open the door side panels to glue on some moleskin so the new tint wouldn't get scratched. Guy did a fantastic job and I think he way undercharged. I think his regular price (if he didn't have to take off all the old tint), would have been closer to $150 or $175, less if you don't need the moleskin. It's just a pinche wagon, but it looks good enough and my dogs are happy. You may be more discerning.
By any chance, do you remember exactly where you had that done in LA? I'm about to trade in my 5-series for an E90 and tint is necessary.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Wihelm G Wihelm G is offline
California Über Alles
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 854
Mein Auto: 328CiC and 328iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW528i View Post
By any chance, do you remember exactly where you had that done in LA? I'm about to trade in my 5-series for an E90 and tint is necessary.
It's in Rowland Heights, quite a bit east of L.A., in case you're not familiar with the area. If you're able to get out there, you have to make an appointment, first one on a weekday morning gets you out the quickest. Tell David "wassup" for me, he did our E93 and E91.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-22-2012, 03:55 PM
ayiti02 ayiti02 is offline
Registered User
Location: N. CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: 328i
Silly Question...maybe?

How do you know for sure that they put 3M tint on your car? You're paying this "premium" pricing...how does one verify. I just visited a shop in the Bay Area and I felt like this dude was trying to pull a fast one.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-22-2012, 04:22 PM
TJPark01's Avatar
TJPark01 TJPark01 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hollywood, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,162
Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayiti02 View Post
How do you know for sure that they put 3M tint on your car? You're paying this "premium" pricing...how does one verify. I just visited a shop in the Bay Area and I felt like this dude was trying to pull a fast one.
The Crystalline I got has the 3M watermark on the film and the shop took it out of the box and showed it to me without even asking. They said they do that because it's not often that people ask for that type of film and when you'e paying 3x as much, they want to reassure you.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-22-2012, 04:58 PM
ayiti02 ayiti02 is offline
Registered User
Location: N. CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
The Crystalline I got has the 3M watermark on the film and the shop took it out of the box and showed it to me without even asking. They said they do that because it's not often that people ask for that type of film and when you'e paying 3x as much, they want to reassure you.
Ahhh, Where is the water mark? Is it in a corner or at the edges? Is the film pre-cut, so it's strategically placed out of site? Did they pull out your door panels and rear window? This shop here said that's what they would do for $280 (3M) This made me nervous too. I just want to be better prepared when I go to some other shops around here. Know of any good shops up north? Sorry for the 21 questions...My last tint job was on my 97 accord in 2001 and I can barely see out the back window of that car now...don't want that to happen again.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-22-2012, 06:30 PM
TJPark01's Avatar
TJPark01 TJPark01 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hollywood, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,162
Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayiti02 View Post
Ahhh, Where is the water mark? Is it in a corner or at the edges? Is the film pre-cut, so it's strategically placed out of site? Did they pull out your door panels and rear window? This shop here said that's what they would do for $280 (3M) This made me nervous too. I just want to be better prepared when I go to some other shops around here. Know of any good shops up north? Sorry for the 21 questions...My last tint job was on my 97 accord in 2001 and I can barely see out the back window of that car now...don't want that to happen again.
The watermark is all over the tint, it has to be removed after the tint is applied. They will do it for you. The film is not precut it's in rolls. 3m makes many different films; find out which they are talking about. The film should be guaranteed for life against peeling or bubbling, the installer will give you warranty registration:
Crystalline
Ceramic
Color Stable
FX HP
FX P


Edit: They didn't pull out any door panels or add any felt or do anything to the trim on the E92. However, I know on the F10 they had to remove the sliding window shades for the rear doors. I watched them do it and I wish I hadn't cause it takes brute force.
__________________

Last edited by TJPark01; 06-22-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Wihelm G Wihelm G is offline
California Über Alles
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 854
Mein Auto: 328CiC and 328iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayiti02 View Post
How do you know for sure that they put 3M tint on your car? You're paying this "premium" pricing...how does one verify. I just visited a shop in the Bay Area and I felt like this dude was trying to pull a fast one.
If you go to a shop that's been around for awhile, chances are less their business model is make a quick buck today and don't worry about tomorrow.

For my 3m FX Premium, a "door hanger" type card was given to me with the receipt stapled on it. Don't think they'd give you something with 3M tint "run numbers" on it and direct you to 3M/s website if it weren't legit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tint Warranty.pdf (393.1 KB, 133 views)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-26-2012, 07:27 PM
pointandgo's Avatar
pointandgo pointandgo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles area
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,864
Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
You can't go wrong with 3M, the "masters" of film. Avoid the "scams" and the stuff that turns purple. Made in China...or God knows where. You GET what you pay for. I seek LONG established tinting outfits...HOW long have they been in business? Since last Thursday? I would definitely AVOID the metalic stuff...too many horror stories.
__________________
F30 328i
E90 328i
E92 335i 6MT
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-28-2012, 09:44 PM
brandt2025 brandt2025 is offline
New (to me) BMW Driver
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 37
Mein Auto: 2014 328i xDrive
Johnson Film?

Had my car tinted last month with 35% bronze Johnson Film. Sure, it's only been a month, but the tint looks great. My tinter has been doing my cars for over 15 years, and I've never had a problem with his work or the film he uses. I think he's always used Johnson film, but I can't be sure. I paid less than $200, but again, I've known this guy for a long time and met him through a friend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011_328i_xdrive_tinted.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	331074  
__________________
Sucked in.... leased another 328.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Blkthght Blkthght is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 110
Mein Auto: 2012 550i Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
I have 3M crystalline tine on a 335i Coupe. All windows are 50% and the windshield is 70%. PM me if you want the name of a very good tint shop. The tint work is excellent and I have had 6 cars tinted there with no problems and full lifetime warranty.
I'm also interested in who your installer is. I'll send you a pm.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms