Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: Lexus RX300
X5 minor damage cost :(

So I had momentary lapse and scrape my right back wheel against a column. I emailed pictures of the damages to my local BMW service shop and they said costs would be about $3500. I also had a local mechanic give me an estimate of about $800 to fix the damages. He told me he would be fixing the bodywork and only replacing the black moulding, saying replacing the panels would cost "thousands".

Is the reason why BMW estimate were so high because they don't do bodywork and only replace the body parts?

Damages
- Yellow scrape
- Black moulding
- Slight dent above wheel

Last edited by PotOdds; 06-20-2012 at 06:24 AM.
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35D
Body work at the dealer is very expensive, but that $3500 sounds insane for that. I would ask them what their assumption is on parts replacement, and still go somewhere else to get it fixed. The last time I got an estimate on body work was in '02 on my E46 coupe. Some dirt-bag vermin vandalized it one night when I was parked on the street, and the quote I got was a $2200. In my case, they needed to replace some chrome trim, repair a fender and door, and repaint/blend the whole thing. I got an indy shop to do the same work and faster for around $1500. Your damage seems much more minor than what I had.

As another reference, my wife damaged her brand new CRV back in '06 (very similarly to this), and they wanted just under $2K to repair it at Honda. I sent her to the same indy shop that fixed mine, and she got it repaired for $800. Honda was going to replace the plastic bumper and fix the body damage whereas the indy was able to remold the bumper. I would expect in your case, you can get this fixed for around a grand a reputable independent shop. BTW, I'm in SF and would expect labor rates to be quite similar to Manhattan...so that doesn't explain the crazy dealer price.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:11 AM

I think the BMW service guy was reluctant to give an estimate by email. I was only looking for a ballpark figure. But even then $3500 was shocking. The only reason I could think of why he would quote such a high price was because they would just replace the paneling rather than do any bodywork. The dent seems to be on the paneling that is one big piece extending all around the right 2 doors.

I was hoping someone here could clarify whether BMW service center did do bodywork rather than just replace parts.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
shop around some more.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: '12 X5-35d AW-CI
Insane, get a good shop and be done with it.

Very minor,

Good luck,
Old 06-20-2012, 10:21 AM

I plan on going with my local mechanic since he has good reviews on Yelp doing foreign cars. $800 seems reasonable especially after getting quoted $3500. But I was willing to go up to $1500 with BMW since I would have the assurances that it would be done "right".

I was quoted $3500 by BMW Manhattan. I might try to see what BMW Bayside will quote. For such a minor scrape, it seems like overkill to replace the entire panel.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2010 528;2013 X5
"mechanics" do not do body work unless they are a body shop.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5
I have had body work done at BMW Manhattan on my 2003 X5 and my 2007 X3. They do not do the work in house, they contract out to shop in Queens if I remember correctly. Their work was very good, but I negotiated to about 50% of their original estimate in both cases. BE sure to explain this is not insurance work but you are paying yourself. They will fix body panels and repair bumper covers. My guess without taking a look in person, a dealer should be somewhere around $1500 for that type of damage. My 2009 X5 had more damage in a similar location when returned on lease and the damage charge was $1500 to $2000.
2003 X5 (retired)
Old 06-20-2012, 02:22 PM

Thanks. I'll keep this in mind for the future.

You wouldn't happen to know the name of the shop in Queens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenp76 View Post
I have had body work done at BMW Manhattan on my 2003 X5 and my 2007 X3. They do not do the work in house, they contract out to shop in Queens if I remember correctly. Their work was very good, but I negotiated to about 50% of their original estimate in both cases. BE sure to explain this is not insurance work but you are paying yourself. They will fix body panels and repair bumper covers. My guess without taking a look in person, a dealer should be somewhere around $1500 for that type of damage. My 2009 X5 had more damage in a similar location when returned on lease and the damage charge was $1500 to $2000.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:30 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotOdds View Post
I plan on going with my local mechanic since he has good reviews on Yelp doing foreign cars. $800 seems reasonable especially after getting quoted $3500. But I was willing to go up to $1500 with BMW since I would have the assurances that it would be done "right".

I was quoted $3500 by BMW Manhattan. I might try to see what BMW Bayside will quote. For such a minor scrape, it seems like overkill to replace the entire panel.
YOU are insane!

$800 is simply not enough to do this properly.

First, forget about using BMW dealers... why would you think this is necessary? Is this your first car in AMerica???? Don't think the dealer is the best place to go...

Here os what needs to be done:

Dissassembly- Wheel, liners, rear quarter window, bumper, tailights... about $600

Repair bumper skn or just replace- $400-1000

Repair quarter panel -300

Paint. Here is the big deal. To PROPERLY repair a clear coat paint, the entire panel where there is damage must be re-clearcoated.... so for that little dent, after the metal is repaired, they will prep that quarter panel all the way to the edges of the panel- then they will oolor coat the bumnper and the repaired area, paying careful attention to color match the repair so it is blended into the panel...THEN they clear coat the whole panel and the bumper. $1400

You are in a tough spot- I suspect immigrant, plus you are in NYC where everyone gets screwed...so you are trying to do this via email. Better to find a very good shop, and go with what they say.

I often see cars driving around with repairs like your $800 proposal... and wonder what kind of owner would put up with that...

3500 may seem high, and may BE high..but for you to make a decision based on email is nuts, and the fact that you know nothing about body work makes this a really tough evaluation
Old 06-20-2012, 02:59 PM

LOL, dude you are a riot.

I work, so sending multiple different angle pics of the damages was the most efficient way to get a rough estimate. More people should do it this way rather than waste a half a day and get flabbergasted and leave because they quote prices that are a joke.

My local body mechanic came with high recommendations for foreign cars. I reiterate if he could make it look like new. I said I shouldn't be able to tell the difference between the left and right side. He said he could. We'll see.

I'll post pictures of the final work. It should be fairly easy to see if the work is up to snuff. X5 bodywork is fairly distinctive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
YOU are insane!

$800 is simply not enough to do this properly.

First, forget about using BMW dealers... why would you think this is necessary? Is this your first car in AMerica???? Don't think the dealer is the best place to go...

Here os what needs to be done:

Dissassembly- Wheel, liners, rear quarter window, bumper, tailights... about $600

Repair bumper skn or just replace- $400-1000

Repair quarter panel -300

Paint. Here is the big deal. To PROPERLY repair a clear coat paint, the entire panel where there is damage must be re-clearcoated.... so for that little dent, after the metal is repaired, they will prep that quarter panel all the way to the edges of the panel- then they will oolor coat the bumnper and the repaired area, paying careful attention to color match the repair so it is blended into the panel...THEN they clear coat the whole panel and the bumper. $1400

You are in a tough spot- I suspect immigrant, plus you are in NYC where everyone gets screwed...so you are trying to do this via email. Better to find a very good shop, and go with what they say.

I often see cars driving around with repairs like your $800 proposal... and wonder what kind of owner would put up with that...

3500 may seem high, and may BE high..but for you to make a decision based on email is nuts, and the fact that you know nothing about body work makes this a really tough evaluation

Last edited by PotOdds; 06-20-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: German
Estimate doesn't shock me. Dude backed into the front corner of my X5 and the estimate was like $1700
Old 06-20-2012, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: 13 X5 50i M-Performance
Quote:
So I had momentary lapse and scrape my right back wheel against a column. I emailed pictures of the damages to my local BMW service shop and they said costs would be about $3500. I also had a local mechanic give me an estimate of about $800 to fix the damages. He told me he would be fixing the bodywork and only replacing the black moulding, saying replacing the panels would cost "thousands".

Is the reason why BMW estimate were so high because they don't do bodywork and only replace the body parts?

Damages
- Yellow scrape
- Black moulding
- Slight dent above wheel

Dude, that's literally nothing. Especially in NYC. The damage on metal is barely through the clear and only on the crease. You could easily have a painless dent repair guy fix it for $75 and touch up the rash on the crease with touch up. I would touch up the bumper too. If the bumper bothers you, you can get it refinished for $350. I wouldn't in NYC. Just touch it up. You can buy the plastic molding for $75 or less and install it yourself in five minutes time.

Last edited by z51vette; 06-20-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
LOL, dude you are a riot.

d .
Glad yoy are entertained.

The damage to the metal is into the colot. This means paint.

Someone else suggests using 'touch up'...sure, but this is a hack job. Funny how people demand the best when insurnace pays, but when they F-up, their criteria are massively lax. Hypocritical putzs

But hey, this is NYC where most drivers just accept raping and accumulate dmaage to their cars, (Born and raised there.)

Given that you are not looking for it to be done properly and just want a cosmetic repair, go with the mechanic,

Better title?

Should I have this repaired properly, or since it was my error is a cheap fix OK?

Enjoiy
Old 06-20-2012, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Ya, as stated above, it comes down to how you want it to look. Had a similar repair on my wife's MDX completed for cheap by a 'shop' that the local car dealers use for minor bumper type repairs. Looked ok and likey not noticeable by others. Over time, it looked 'less good' but by then the car was aging anyway. Would I go that route again? Likey -- but not if it was 'my' car instead of the wife's....
Old 06-20-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:

The damage to the metal is into the colot. This means paint.

Someone else suggests using 'touch up'...sure, but this is a hack job. Funny how people demand the best when insurnace pays, but when they F-up, their criteria are massively lax. Hypocritical putzs

I see that it is through the paint. I re-painted many cars in my time. Touch up done properly is no hack job. There are many shops that specialize in that. I would do it myself though. It's right on the crease not in the middle of a panel. Stop by any PPG or automotive refinish supplier. Get two part single stage in the color code of the car. Get a small artist brush. Clean up the wound with lacquer thinner. Apply the paint. Let it flash. Apply a second coat, Keep building it up flush with the surrounding paint. Let the paint dry for a week to make sure it completely rids of solvents or it will keep evaporating after the polish out and will sink. Get really fine sandpaper 800, and wet sand the new built up paint flush with the clear. Take care to sand only the built up layer. On a crease it will be really easy. You can follow up with 1500, Just a few passes will do. Then put some rubbing compound on a terry towel and polish it out completely. It really is no biggie on a crease like that on the bottom of a panel. If it was in the middle of the hood. I'd say take it to a pro. But this is really super easy. Done it many times with very good results. In the middle of panels too. This is the way to do this repair. The dealer wants to repaint the entire panel. Basically the entire side of the car, save doors. Blend and re clear. $3,000 seems not too far for a very high quality job. They rarely are though. And you still end up with 8-10 mills of paint in the best case instead of 5. Put my paint thickness gauge on it and it will show the entire side has been repainted. So don't talk to me about hack jobs.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:54 AM

Thanks but I'm not handy with this type of stuff. Right now, just glad I can get this taken care of for $800. Well I'll feel better once I've seen the results. Body mechanic is replacing the moulding with OEM part, he said it would cost $120. The rest of the cost is labor and paint I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z51vette View Post
Dude, that's literally nothing. Especially in NYC. The damage on metal is barely through the clear and only on the crease. You could easily have a painless dent repair guy fix it for $75 and touch up the rash on the crease with touch up. I would touch up the bumper too. If the bumper bothers you, you can get it refinished for $350. I wouldn't in NYC. Just touch it up. You can buy the plastic molding for $75 or less and install it yourself in five minutes time.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
Thanks but I'm not handy with this type of stuff. Right now, just glad I can get this taken care of for $800. Well I'll feel better once I've seen the results. Body mechanic is replacing the moulding with OEM part, he said it would cost $120. The rest of the cost is labor and paint I think.
Good for you....Paying $3500 for this seems unwise. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
Quote:
But I was willing to go up to $1500 with BMW since I would have the assurances that it would be done "right".

yeah I can't picture a local dealership doing this kind of work right.

They probably contract it out.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by z51vette View Post
I see that it is through the paint. I re-painted many cars in my time. Touch up done properly is no hack job. There are many shops that specialize in that. I would do it myself though. It's right on the crease not in the middle of a panel. Stop by any PPG or automotive refinish supplier. Get two part single stage in the color code of the car. Get a small artist brush. Clean up the wound with lacquer thinner. Apply the paint. Let it flash. Apply a second coat, Keep building it up flush with the surrounding paint. Let the paint dry for a week to make sure it completely rids of solvents or it will keep evaporating after the polish out and will sink. Get really fine sandpaper 800, and wet sand the new built up paint flush with the clear. Take care to sand only the built up layer. On a crease it will be really easy. You can follow up with 1500, Just a few passes will do. Then put some rubbing compound on a terry towel and polish it out completely. It really is no biggie on a crease like that on the bottom of a panel. If it was in the middle of the hood. I'd say take it to a pro. But this is really super easy. Done it many times with very good results. In the middle of panels too. This is the way to do this repair. The dealer wants to repaint the entire panel. Basically the entire side of the car, save doors. Blend and re clear. $3,000 seems not too far for a very high quality job. They rarely are though. And you still end up with 8-10 mills of paint in the best case instead of 5. Put my paint thickness gauge on it and it will show the entire side has been repainted. So don't talk to me about hack jobs.

We agree here.

But the point is that there is a "very high quality job" and there is the cheap job.... Everyone has to make their OWN decision on what THEY want.

My poiny is a clueless consumer shopping blindly via email and evlauating repairs solely based on price and yelp ratings will NOT have everything they need to make a decision.

To be clear, there is ONE way to do it "right". Right means it can only be detected by a paint meter, and will withstand 10 years of car washes and UV exposure. There are other methods, but these will all be trade offs in quality, durability and esthetics.

I think I said this before, but ANY owner that was hit by another driver like this - such that the OTHER insurer is paying- would go APESPIT crazy if the other insurer said they were going to use the cheap method.

No problem saving money, but lets be honest about the qulaity you are buying... throwing dealers and body shops under the stealer bus is unfair when THEY are doing it 'right'

A
Old 06-21-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
We agree here.

But the point is that there is a "very high quality job" and there is the cheap job.... Everyone has to make their OWN decision on what THEY want.

My poiny is a clueless consumer shopping blindly via email and evlauating repairs solely based on price and yelp ratings will NOT have everything they need to make a decision.

To be clear, there is ONE way to do it "right". Right means it can only be detected by a paint meter, and will withstand 10 years of car washes and UV exposure. There are other methods, but these will all be trade offs in quality, durability and esthetics.

I think I said this before, but ANY owner that was hit by another driver like this - such that the OTHER insurer is paying- would go APESPIT crazy if the other insurer said they were going to use the cheap method.

No problem saving money, but lets be honest about the qulaity you are buying... throwing dealers and body shops under the stealer bus is unfair when THEY are doing it 'right'

A
Not about money even. Having repainted bumper covers is one thing. Having repainted side of the car is totally different. There really is no way to hide a seam. And again, you will have body filler in the damage area and paint that is 30-40% thicker on the entire side of the car not just the quarter panel. The paint damage is right on the crease from what I can see. Quality Single Stage will last the life of the car. It's still a catalyzed paint layer, so it will not dissolve with thinner like regular touch up would. I'd rather fill the scratch with single stage and polish out to where you can not notice or always look at the car as a repaint. That's just me.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:46 PM

Hi guys,
So I got the X5 back from my body mechanic and he did a fantastic job. Basically indistinguishable from new. If you ever need a nice guy who does great work and gives a fair price, give Chris a call.

Chris Pogorzelski, 718-643-9000
New York Auto
293 Nevins St
Brooklyn, NY 11217

Quote:

Last edited by PotOdds; 06-25-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:48 PM

I found out the body shop where BMW Manhattan and BMW Bayside outsource their work. It's Mid Island Collision in Long Island.

Mid Island Collision

Quote:
Thanks. I'll keep this in mind for the future.

You wouldn't happen to know the name of the shop in Queens?
Old 06-25-2012, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Really good job, nice to see folks perform their skill. That doesn't happen often sad to say.
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday
Old 06-25-2012, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: E60, Porsche987, MB320
I experience similar damage a few months ago to my new 2012 X5. My guy was referred to me by the BMW dealer in Columbus, GA. He pulled the finder and repainted, new black strip, new front deflector all for $1500 with OME parts. Did a marvelous job...... can't tell it was repainted from any angle.