Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 06-20-2012, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0
Honest Opinions - '07-'09 M5's

I am not new to BMW cars, but I am to the M machines. I have been a loyal X5 buyer starting with the need for a larger vehicle when my first child was born. Recently I decided I wanted something faster, sexier and more fun - but I don't want to give up interior room. Hence I have landed on the idea of buying an M5 from years '07-'09 for pricing reasons.

The honest opinions I am looking for revolve around:

Maintenance - are your M5's constantly in the shop or are they reliable if you keep to maintenance schedules?

SMG - is it really as horrible below 3k rpm as everyone claims?

Brakes - how many miles, with average driving, before they must be replaced?

Car Facts Report - those of you who bought used M5's have the cars with clean Car Facts reports kept to their history of reliability?

These are my main concerns because I love the idea of owning an M machine, but the last thing I want to get stuck with is a money pit out of warranty. I appreciate honest thoughtful responses. Cheers!

Last edited by Orion21; 06-20-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 06-20-2012, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 M5
I have had some issues with my 07 M5 but overall it is a beautiful car. The SMG is a tricky part! My friend who is an advisor at Concord BMW has mentioned that SMG's are very finicky and he hates how abrupt the transition is from gear to gear. Then, he concluded that mine was quite smooth so it is a 'flip your coin and hope for head or tail" kind of a proposition. Just so you know, one common problem associated with E60 M5's is that the SMG pump fails every so often. There are many nightmare-ish stories online when people's SMG pump stopped working and the cost was 5500 dollars!!! It was more rampant with 06 M5's but I think the later models have experienced this as well. If you are out of warranty then you are out of luck!
The maintenance would be quite regular and expensive but then again, most people don't use this car for everyday errands. If you limit your driving, you may not frequent the shops too often. In my opinion, with the most high performance car made by BMW, this type of hassle is warranted.
One thing I would strongly recommend to you would be to test drive a potential M5 with an experienced owner. Bring a friend or colleague who has owned one. There are so many things to look for and feel for when you are driving this car and if you are just a regular 5-series driver, you may not realize it (learned from my own mistakes). I have learned so many things from my Concord friend that I wished I had known before I test drove the car.
Overall, an M5 is an M5. You can talk about a Ferrari or Aston but I have seen that M5 loyal patrons are most knowledgeable and have passion that ranks second to none. If your car is not a nightmare (knock on wood), you will be a very happy and proud owner. Just don't get too pompous and pretentious:-)
Old 06-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Saab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajib View Post
I have had some issues with my 07 M5 but overall it is a beautiful car. The SMG is a tricky part! My friend who is an advisor at Concord BMW has mentioned that SMG's are very finicky and he hates how abrupt the transition is from gear to gear. Then, he concluded that mine was quite smooth so it is a 'flip your coin and hope for head or tail" kind of a proposition. Just so you know, one common problem associated with E60 M5's is that the SMG pump fails every so often. There are many nightmare-ish stories online when people's SMG pump stopped working and the cost was 5500 dollars!!! It was more rampant with 06 M5's but I think the later models have experienced this as well. If you are out of warranty then you are out of luck!
The maintenance would be quite regular and expensive but then again, most people don't use this car for everyday errands. If you limit your driving, you may not frequent the shops too often. In my opinion, with the most high performance car made by BMW, this type of hassle is warranted.
One thing I would strongly recommend to you would be to test drive a potential M5 with an experienced owner. Bring a friend or colleague who has owned one. There are so many things to look for and feel for when you are driving this car and if you are just a regular 5-series driver, you may not realize it (learned from my own mistakes). I have learned so many things from my Concord friend that I wished I had known before I test drove the car.
Overall, an M5 is an M5. You can talk about a Ferrari or Aston but I have seen that M5 loyal patrons are most knowledgeable and have passion that ranks second to none. If your car is not a nightmare (knock on wood), you will be a very happy and proud owner. Just don't get too pompous and pretentious:-)
would you care to share some of this insight and knowledge you have on what to look for?
Old 06-24-2012, 09:16 PM

Hi Mike,

I really don't have that much knowledge, I apologize if my comments misled you. I have never owned a BMW before this one. Some of the things that I can comment on:
1. SMG: the single most important problem arising in this ultra-expensive and complicated cars. Even tough the pump issue was supposed to be solved by BMW, it hasn't been. Please make sure when you test drive, you slowly accelerate and wait for any jerkiness from the gear shift. If you do it slowly, it should be a very smooth process. The jerkiness could be a major underlying problem. An experienced BMW mechanic can really help you diagnose the issues, if there are any.
2. Make sure the brake pads and tires are inspected before you buy. There should be enough life left on them, otherwise, you would pay through the nose replacing them.
3. The coolant liquid could leak very easily because of some hose issues. Please have the connections checked out by a BMW technician. if out of warranty, you are in for a big surprise (not a pleasant one).
4. Please make sure the iDrive works for all the options. iDrive is very finicky for 06-08 models and not very reliable.
5. Please be careful when you install a back up camera or some other external item using the module. It draws too much power and on a hot day (exceeding 85 F), my iDrive goes completely blank. I have been told, that is specific to my M5 because the interior heats up unusually. Other M5's may not have this issue.
6. The gas consumption is simply put, awful! This will burn a hole in your wallet (unless you are a senior executive at a Wall Street bank). For me, that is the worst downside of owning an M5.
Feel free to ask me questions if you have any specific ones. I would be happy to answer.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 M5 Space Gray
Happy Owner

Well put Rajib. Ever since the E60 M5 came out in '05, it's been my dream car. I've owned 2 X5's, one of them a 4.4 and the other an '09 diesel, and an older 328. I've loved them all. But I always had a longing for the V10 M5. I finally bought one a few months ago. A cherry '07 with the SMG and 36,000 miles. I bought it from a dealership in Mobile, Alabama where the GM was extremely knowledgeable and experienced with M cars. I simply love it. I didn't by it for gas mileage but I still average around 16 MPG and I put my foot in it a lot. I've worked on my other BMW's and plan to do the same on this one for things such as oil changes, filter changes, brake changes, etc. I'm currently planning to have the SMG ECU re-flashed to euro specs after several testimonials on the M5Board.com. Besides the Launch Control Issue, apparently the euro program shifts smoother than the North American version. In closing, the key to maximum enjoyment is maximum education. Read the owners manual thoroughly and several times. Read and join the several online forums. It is a car like no other.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:54 PM

Rodger, appreciate your kind and thorough response. Next time, I am running into an M5 related issue, I am calling you!!! :-)
Old 07-09-2012, 07:58 PM

Also, Rodger, I may be biased, let's reaffirm with an experienced owner like you with astute knowledge that E60 M5 is the best aesthetically designed M5! I am not a fan of the F10 M5. They look too domesticated and not vicious enough:-)
Old 07-09-2012, 08:43 PM

Rajib, affirmative on the E60 styling. I love the lines and it looks like it's flying when standing still. Although I am a devout fan of Bavarian engineering, I can't help but feel a little "sold out" when they went to a turbo charged V8. But heck, I'd like to see what the dual clutch SMG feels like.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerLogan View Post
Rajib, affirmative on the E60 styling. I love the lines and it looks like it's flying when standing still. Although I am a devout fan of Bavarian engineering, I can't help but feel a little "sold out" when they went to a turbo charged V8. But heck, I'd like to see what the dual clutch SMG feels like.
Thanks for the back and forth guys. I feel the same way about the new car, but understand the move to the turbo V8 for mpg reasons, since everyone else as as well.

I have driven 4 different '07 and '08 M5's and love them all. My main issue has been finding one with good maintenance records and less than 60k miles in my area. I don't want to go to an '06 because of the issues with that year. I am zero'd in on a black/black '08 with 54k miles and I can get it for $39,500 + $2999 for a 3yr/36k extended warranty that covers everything thru Penske. What do you guys think?

The second option is a Dark Gray/Black '08 with 49k miles for $43,500, which comes with a 6 month 8k mile powertrain warranty, but the dealer wouldn't let me drive it unless we finalize the deal.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:44 PM

Is the dealer's name Richard Cranium by any chance? I bought an '07 w/36K miles for $39,000. Space Grey Metallic(which I love)/Black. An '08 with 54K for about the same price sounds pretty sweet! By the way, mine was driven by 3 or 4 prospective buyers at the dealership, including a friend of mine who has an '09 550.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerLogan View Post
Is the dealer's name Richard Cranium by any chance? I bought an '07 w/36K miles for $39,000. Space Grey Metallic(which I love)/Black. An '08 with 54K for about the same price sounds pretty sweet! By the way, mine was driven by 3 or 4 prospective buyers at the dealership, including a friend of mine who has an '09 550.
Surprisingly enough the car I like the most is an '07 with almost 61k miles. My only issue with it is that it isn't optioned out that well and was built in OCT '06 and the other cars were all built in mid to late '07.

I am to the point where I am finding out how the 3yr/36k warranty reads concerning the SMG/Clutch. So far I have the dealer telling me it's all covered, but I am making sure. Ironically, all three of my top cars have the same extended warranty because the dealers are all under the same umbrella company. They just happen to be at Audi, Porsche and BMW dealerships, LOL
Old 07-10-2012, 05:14 PM

Rodger, sorry about the delayed response, I am in Boston on business. You are too polite and politically correct with "little sold out" comment. For me, it is a blatant disregard to what BMW enthusiasts want from the Bavarian car company! I don't care how much turbo you put in it, naturally aspirated with that high revving engine is totally irreplaceable!
Mark my word, 20 years from now, E60 M5's will become collectible items.
Rodger, I would really contact you with issues for my car, I need to resort to an educated person like you.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:21 PM

Rodger, is there a silver grey metallic as well or is it the same as space grey? I think I have the silver grey with black interior. It is a very good combination. By the way, I have noticed based on all the cars on eBay that the perforated leather gets really worn out very quickly and easily. May I ask what the condition is of your leather interior?
Orion, make sure you choose a car with good leather interior. Your car may run well but dilapidated leather on this high end really looks repulsive. I do admit that since we are all in the used car market, our options are limited.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:56 PM

Rajib- Not sure on the color - mine is definitely called Space Grey Metallic and I believe it's available on the new F10. Since my seats are heated, but not air-conditioned, they are non-perforated. And the condition is showroom.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:24 PM

Rodger, I have a quick question: Do you know if it's possible to install HD radio on an 07 M5 if the car didn't come equipped with it? The BMW dealer here told me that I have to replace the whole NAV system for that which didn't make sense.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:42 PM

Rajib, I honestly don't know. I have HD and Sirius XM on my '07. It's been my experience that the standard Company line is: "If it didn't get in at the factory it, doesn't get in." Having said that, if anyone would know, the guys at BAS (Bavarian Auto Sport) would. Good luck.

Rodger
Old 07-17-2012, 08:46 PM

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply. That is the only option I regret not having. The reception here in the Bay area is not very good, to say the least. HD radio would help tremendously.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:51 AM

Hi Rodger, heard back from Bavarian Auto and sure enough, they said, they didn't deal with BMW audio:-) Back to square one. The dealer has already told me that they couldn't do it but I am not so sure! I do believe it is possible, I just have to find the right place and personnel.
If you ever get any information on this, please be kind to pass it along my way. It would be much appreciated.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:30 PM

Hi Rodger, quite a few F10 M5's are on ebay now but have to reiterate that despite major technological advancements and higher horse power, E60 still looks nicer:-) Of course, my comment is biased.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
Quote:
Thanks for the quick and helpful reply. That is the only option I regret not having. The reception here in the Bay area is not very good, to say the least. HD radio would help tremendously.
Rajib,

I too am an east bayer, and bought my 2012 535i from Concord BMW. I have hd radio, and there are only a half dozen stations I have found that are hd, so you really aren't missing much.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:39 AM

KC, thank you for your kind comment. Now, I feel better about not having HD. You have a beautiful car, love the color combination.
Simple advice: It may not pertain to you but the cheapest service for BMWs is at East Bay so if when you run out of warranty, I suggest you shop around a little bit. Brake fluid flush was 255 at Concord and 180 at East Bay! I was blown away. You don't have to worry about it since your car is under warranty but you may want to start thinking about for the days when you dread any of these routine maintenance costs:-)
Old 10-08-2012, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
Quote:
KC, thank you for your kind comment. Now, I feel better about not having HD. You have a beautiful car, love the color combination.
Simple advice: It may not pertain to you but the cheapest service for BMWs is at East Bay so if when you run out of warranty, I suggest you shop around a little bit. Brake fluid flush was 255 at Concord and 180 at East Bay! I was blown away. You don't have to worry about it since your car is under warranty but you may want to start thinking about for the days when you dread any of these routine maintenance costs:-)
When warranty up I will take car to M Service on Mt. Diablo Blvd in Walnut Creek. They only use BMW OEM parts. Dante, the owner, is a true BMW enthusiast.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:44 AM

Hi KC, look M Service up on Yelp. They have a few fairly bad reviews. I am not so sure if the place is that great! I just found out that the front bushings in my car had to be replaced and the dealer quoted 648. I got a second opinion at EDGE Motor Works in Dublin and they quoted me for under 500 with OEM parts. So I just dropped it off this morning. I would say EDGE is worth looking at. They have excellent reviews on Yelp and work only on BMWs and MINIs.
I am not so sure how good their work is because I haven't seen it yet. I guess I will find out today and then I can write more.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:18 AM

I put a brand new bumper cover on my M5 and noticed that the edges are jagged or have some gouges. They are only at the end of the bumper. Is it normal to have because when they cut the bumper cover? The rest of the bumper cover is perfectly smooth so I am thinking the imperfection came from factory? Anybody has seen this?
Old 10-29-2012, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: bucket
pm sent to a fellow east bayer