Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 06-21-2012, 06:26 AM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Seats that aren't Vaders: idea thread

So I was casually digging through the interior section of bimmeforums and noticed my own feelter thread from April had been bumped yesterday by someone localish asking if my seats were still available. According to everyone that isn't me, my seats "aren't all that bad," but I'm not really happy with them.

The passenger's seat is ok, the driver's lumbar support and outside bolster is crushed, which makes my back start to get tight after 90 minutes, and after 3 hours I'm almost in pain. (I got my mom's family's bad back, which doesn't help )

Option 1.) Which is the direction I may end up going eventually, is to pull the leather off the seat and repair the foam, then do a full leather world repair/dye kit. I think if I took the time to do all that and do it right, the seats would come out near perfect.

However, I really don't like vaders to be honest. They are the coolest looking things ever, but I'm tall and skinny so they offer me no side to side bolstering and nothing close to a safe or functional headrest (and I've been rear ended twice in this car.) Ideally I'd find a set of something else, for less than say... $600. So that I could be into a new pair of seats for ~$150-200 after selling off the vaders, or roughly what I'd spend on the dye kit.

1.) These are my end all be all dream seats. All black Z3 Ms:

However, they come up for sale once in a blue moon, I dont even see them frequently enough to put a price on them, but I have a feeling they are out of budget. Pretty sure they don't fold up either, so using my rear seats would be next to impossible. I'd still probably do it, no one goes back there anyway and the are so cool looking.

2.) E46 M3 seats:

I also think these are sexy as hell, have an honest to goodness headrest, and are going for a surprisingly good price right now. A black leather manual set would be perfect. They're still hard to find though, nothing currently on eBay for a fair price, and nothing getting parted out on bimmerforums.

3.) E46 sport seats:

The most modest and realistic option. Manual might be hard to find but I'd be willing to wire up the power if it wasn't brutally complicated. If I did end up with power ones they would have to be the 330i versions with the adjustable lumbar support for my old man back. Not entirely sure what the going rate on them is.

4.) ??? I'd be open to aftermarket seats of pretty much any variety as long as they were comfortable and safe. Id do a fixed back as long as they supported my lower back (I don't drive reclined at all, I don't stretch to reach the steering wheel.) I just don't have the budget for any of the nice ones. If I ended up going that route, or got Z3 M seats that didn't fold forward, I might just pull my rear seats entirely and lay some board/carpet down. My end goal for my car is sort of an E36 mimic of that E93 M3 GTS. Pretty much a stripped out race car with a little bit of fabric and suede added back in, so at some point it will have only two seats and a color matched rollbar anyway.

Any suggestions or experience with different seats? Any ideas on where to look or any leads on some of the ones I want?
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2012, 09:20 PM
Sexy Sax Man / Kebab Lord

Mein Auto: 1995 M3
Recaros are the most comfortable fixed back seats.

Unfortunately they cost an arm and half a leg.

Instagram | @randytheus
Old 06-21-2012, 09:22 PM
Just living MY dream

Mein Auto: 1995 M3 Boston Green
+1 recaro pole positions are the best!

Member #2 of the Boston Green Mafia BMW-CCA #457574

1995 BG M3(sold) 2000 TiAg 4.4l X5(sold)

-2000 F250 V10
-2004 GMC Yukon Denali

-I do the things today that others won't do, so I will have the things tomorrow that other won't have....
Old 06-22-2012, 05:24 AM
King of Drone

Yeah, pole positions are my dream seat, maybe long term I'll end up with a pair. Pole Positions + a color matched rollbar + suede... errywhere is my dream interior. In the meantime though I'd like to try and find something about 1/4 the cost.

I think what I need to do is just keep my eyes peeled locally, maybe call some junkyards and race shops etc etc. I was just sort of hoping by posting this thread someone would remember their cousin's wife's brother has an E46 race car and wants to clean out his garage or something. And/or tell me that there are some cheapo offbrand seats that are actually really comfy, but I know the answer to that question I think.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:44 PM
FORCED AIR FTW

Mein Auto: 12 X5M, 04 E46 & 74 tii
There is a guy here in Potomac selling his E46 M3 leather complete interior for $800 - he might be willing to part the fronts

he is on e46 fanatics - screenname eddys or something, his real name is Mike (red M3 with CF front fenders and hood, black wheels..)
Old 06-27-2012, 05:55 AM
King of Drone

Thanks, I have a set of E46 M seats getting dropped off at my house tonight though.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:58 AM
Jesse Moon Bayne

Mein Auto: e30, e36, e70
Post pics asap Joey
"Cassie"///Mpowered 93 318is 5speed (95 m3 swap).Vaders..Bavauto short shifter..dinan cat back..sways..3.23lsd..tms chip..staggered dsII's...BCracing coilovers..F&R strut tower bar...M3 brakes..x-brace..AFE CAI
2007 X5 3.0si (Wifes)
E30 87 325e DD
Old 06-27-2012, 08:26 AM
King of Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1MM3R View Post
Post pics asap Joey
He wont be here until 9 or so, he's coming from Norfolk, but I'll throw some pics in OT tonight or something. I'm planning on doing a DIY when I install them this weekend, there aren't any good ones out there to speak of.

I have almost all the info I need. Still missing the wiring info for the E46 seat, and I need to go to the store and get some 12 G wire, some fuses and some generic connectors to make a new little harness out of.

I'll get started early Saturday morning most likely, hopefully it won't even take all day. The hardest part is going to be finding the factory wiring for the power seats, if I have to run new wires from the fuse box I'm going to have to pull a ton of carpet to do it.

And I can't get started unless I find that wiring info for the E46 either, hopefully I can turn something up, might even stop by my shop and ask them to help if I can't find it by like Friday.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:25 AM
Jesse Moon Bayne

wish i was close to help
"Cassie"///Mpowered 93 318is 5speed (95 m3 swap).Vaders..Bavauto short shifter..dinan cat back..sways..3.23lsd..tms chip..staggered dsII's...BCracing coilovers..F&R strut tower bar...M3 brakes..x-brace..AFE CAI
2007 X5 3.0si (Wifes)
E30 87 325e DD
Old 06-27-2012, 09:50 AM
King of Drone

Its only 4 hours!

I finally found the missing pieces I needed on the E46 info. Hopefully some of those guys will help me demystify the color coding and make sure I didn't misinterpret anything.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...41#post6920241
Old 06-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Jesse Moon Bayne

Me and the misses would like to come visit DC one weekend..any good (CHEAP) hotels around you?
2007 X5 3.0si (Wifes)
E30 87 325e DD
Old 06-27-2012, 11:08 AM
King of Drone

You could look on priceline (or whatever your favorite hotel hunter is) for places in Fairfax city which would be right near me, or Vienna, which would be right near the metro station.

Either one of those would probably be WAY cheaper than staying in the city. If you stayed in Fairfax you'd be about a 10-20 minute drive to the metro station depending on traffic. If you stayed in Vienna you'd be right on top of the metro station. Its about a 30 train minute ride to Georgetown which is a really cool area to check out, its probably an hour's total ride to the Metro Center stop which is pretty much the middle of the city. Close to the Federal triangle and the Smithsonian.

My parents found like a $70 room near the mall which is about 1 mile from my house. They stayed in another that was a little nicer but still around $100 I think, so rates aren't too bad, especially if you book early. If you go to book one let me know and I'll tell you where it is and if it seems nice.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Jesse Moon Bayne

Will do man!
2007 X5 3.0si (Wifes)
E30 87 325e DD
Old 06-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Old Soul

Mein Auto: '96 328is
Different approach on the Electric swap..

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1857970

Old 06-29-2012, 06:19 AM
King of Drone

Good looks James! I won't tap off the cig lighter if I can help it, I'd much rather spend a little extra time and either find, or run new wires from the OEM fuse location. I dont wanna run two seats off the one lead for the cig lighter when there is a fused location already in the wiring harness.

I will tap the "K-bus" wire for the driver's memory function off the cig lighter though, it should be a low draw and having memory in an E36 will be sweet!

I posted in that thread, maybe someone with fresh experience can help me figure out the power/ground wire debate...

The one piece I'm still missing is a color chart for the E46 diagram. Sh1t if I know what color "RT" is supposed to be...
Old 06-29-2012, 07:31 AM
Jesse Moon Bayne

This help Joey?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wiring e46.pdf (44.3 KB, 173 views)
2007 X5 3.0si (Wifes)
E30 87 325e DD
Old 06-29-2012, 07:43 AM
King of Drone

Yes!!!

That's the missing link! Thanks for finding it man, I can cross reference that to all the notes I have. I might grab a beer when I get home tonight, flip the seats over and start labeling wires. One thing I've learned with electrical projects is to give yourself way more time than you need and label EVERYTHING you possibly can. Keeping things straight in your brain never works out as well as you think it will...
Old 06-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Jesse Moon Bayne

Yea man glad I could help...if Ashlin had to work this weekend I would come up and help :/ She only gets every other weekend off so can't leave on the one she don't work haha.
2007 X5 3.0si (Wifes)
E30 87 325e DD
Old 06-29-2012, 08:03 AM
King of Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1MM3R View Post
Yea man glad I could help...if Ashlin had to work this weekend I would come up and help :/ She only gets every other weekend off so can't leave on the one she don't work haha.
Haha no sweat, I know that feeling.

I'm trying to wring an answer out of someone on that bimmerforums thread. In one old thread someone said the power/ground wires were the opposite of the norm and red=ground. I doubt that's the case, and I have the pin# information for the plug, so that should be sufficient in figuring out which is which when I'm looking at it. It'd just be nice to have someone with recent experience tell me one way or the other.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:12 AM
Jesse Moon Bayne

I hear ya...maybe pm them.
2007 X5 3.0si (Wifes)
E30 87 325e DD
Old 06-29-2012, 08:36 AM
Jesse Moon Bayne

Joey I did not read through hole thread, but may have some good info.
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=386916
2007 X5 3.0si (Wifes)
E30 87 325e DD
Old 06-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Old Soul

Mein Auto: '96 328is
Do you plan on putting up a little cheat sheet guide for us when you're done? Seems like a very doable project that alot of us could attempt.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:50 AM
King of Drone

Thanks for the link Jesse, M3forum isnt loading right for me right now but I'll check it after lunch.

James, yeah I plan on doing a DIY/Photo Guide. It seems like its a relatively easy mod but no one has documented it end to end. I wanna change that.