Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Strange Electrical Problems

Background
Ok, a few months ago my car had some eletrical work. The side markers had to be changed cause some idiot bus swipe my parked car. Then my car had starting problem initially and found to be a broken wire to my fuel pump (underneath the carpet on the passenger side). Got that fixed but got the car back with my ABS light on in my dash and they said it was already there. I also have some water leak issues on the passenger side.

Currently
Recently, all my eletrical stuff has gone haywired. It started with my driver side seat and steering wheel being unable to adjust. Followed with these:
-Wipers stopped working
-No Horn
-Lights inside the car stopped working
-Front lights (left side halo on but low beam out, right side halo out but low beam on)
-Left turn signal (Front is out, back is on)
-Right turn signal (Front is on, back is out)
-Just lost A/C last week
-All my windows are not working (except for sometimes the drivers side)
-Remote key does not work (have to manually open and lock door/trunk with key)
-Lock button in center console does not work
-My alarm sometimes goes crazy (even when I lock door manually, alarm would go off, etc)

Possible Suspects
-Faulty Ignition Switch
-Faulty LCM (where is this located?)
-Faulty General Module III
-How about DME?
-Possible a short/unground wire? If so, how do I check?
-Possibly everything shorted when water got in?

For the General Module III, if I find an exact model to my current GM III will I have to reprogram or does it plug and play?

OR should I just trade it in for $4k and not mess with the electrical? I just got my new waterpump installed and fixed my oil housing gasket fixed!

Last edited by ill_kuma; 06-26-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 06-21-2012, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: '99 528i/5-spd M52TU
What did you do about the water leak problem you mentioned? If that was the passenger side front, you could water-corroded fuses etc -under- the carpet. Have to remove or lift up the pass. seat to get under there. (Haven't done it myself....)
Old 06-21-2012, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iT/5, S/C
It seems like you have many problems. The best way to start your problem solving is to consult the Wiki portion of this forum. It is located on the right side of the top of the page. There are 2 places where water can get into the paggenger front of the car: 1. If the drain under the passenger side cabin filter is clogged, water can fill up the well there and overflow into the car. 2. If someone took the right front door apart and did not properly reseal the vapor barrier, water will get into the car. This subject is covered in Wiki.

Also, if you look in Wiki in the SAP section, you will see CN90's thread on "changing the famous 107 fuse.". This thread will tell you how to access the fuse box on the right front floor.

Good luck.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Don't forget to try the "visor test."

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
What did you do about the water leak problem you mentioned? If that was the passenger side front, you could water-corroded fuses etc -under- the carpet. Have to remove or lift up the pass. seat to get under there. (Haven't done it myself....)
I tried to fix the water leak by using the 3M stuff and did worked for 1 year and I just opened up my panel recently and found the vapor was separated again (on both front and back passenger).

I have not check the fuses under the carpet yet because it has never got that bad. I think I will check it out since I am having all these issue. Do you think it can be just these fuses underneath are causing all these issues? Or do you think all my modules are dead/shorted and too late to save them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstern View Post
It seems like you have many problems. The best way to start your problem solving is to consult the Wiki portion of this forum. It is located on the right side of the top of the page. There are 2 places where water can get into the paggenger front of the car: 1. If the drain under the passenger side cabin filter is clogged, water can fill up the well there and overflow into the car. 2. If someone took the right front door apart and did not properly reseal the vapor barrier, water will get into the car. This subject is covered in Wiki.

Also, if you look in Wiki in the SAP section, you will see CN90's thread on "changing the famous 107 fuse.". This thread will tell you how to access the fuse box on the right front floor.

Good luck.
Thank you. I will take a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
Don't forget to try the "visor test."
Theres no more interior light so cant do the visor test. BUT, I am still getting radio! And my dashboard does lightup the light bulbs out picture and stuff...no light for the speedometer though.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:40 AM

The past weekend, I was scheduled to bring the car in to Infiniti to get an estimate trade-in value...wifey wants to get the JX35. All of a sudden, the following started working:
-Auto Locks / Alarm
-Windows (except for the front passenger)
-A/C
-Central Locking / Trunk

So, I guess my General Module III is working and not shorted?

The following still does not work:
-Wipers stopped working
-No Horn
-Lights inside the car stopped working
-Front lights (left side halo on but low beam out, right side halo out but low beam on)
-Left turn signal (Front is out, back is on)
-Right turn signal (Front is on, back is out)

Maybe I have an unground wire somewhere?
Will that cause these issues?
How to test for unground wire? Or how much labor should I be looking into paying a shop?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:50 AM

Did you check the fuse box under the passenger seat carpet?

You should hope it doesn't look like the one in this fester's car ....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...83&postcount=7
Old 06-28-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
Did you check the fuse box under the passenger seat carpet?

You should hope it doesn't look like the one in this fester's car ....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...83&postcount=7
Wow...that scray! I will definitely have to take a look on it this weekend.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:56 AM

Ok, I am trying to remove the front passenger seat but I cant get to the bolt because I do not have power to my seats...AGAIN!

Is there a procedure to remove when the seat is not slide all the way back to get to those bolt on the floor?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:19 AM

I just want to report back to my original post. I was not able to remove the seat so I access the fuse box by lifting the carpet from the other end (footwell side).

The cause of all my crazy electrical issue was that water got into the fuse box and caused corrosion. I unscrewed the fused box and lifted...6 of the cables from the bottom of the fuse box broke off. I had to do some splicing and soldering. Everything is working as should now...all my electric is back! Thank you all.

Does anyone know the part number too that fuse box?
Old 07-02-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_kuma View Post
Does anyone know the part number too that fuse box?
I posted a link to all that in your other thread (on seat removal).