Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 06-21-2012, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi
2009 535 xi with the goods

A dealer in the Tri-State area is offering me a certified pre-owned 2009 535xi with 34,300 miles and all the goods (sports package, premium package and cold weather package & navigation). It will have almost 1 year of the original warranty and 2 more of extended warranty left (or up to 100,000 miles which i'll never hit).

After a good deal of haggling I have him down to $38,500 (all in including taxes, documentation etc). With $1,500 paid for by BMW Bank as a part of a financing deal they have right now, I'll be out of pocket $37,000.

I have test driven it and I like the car. But is that a good price? Can I do better?

This will be my first BMW, so I'm tempted to accept the offer, but if I'm overpaying, at the least, I want to know it.
Ads by Google
Old 06-21-2012, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535I
IMo, it's a too high. Sure it's a cpo but don't let them make u think it's worth extra because of that. Check KBB so you have an idea of what the car is worth as well as other avenues such as auto trader, carmax, etc and see what similar cars are going for so you have more ammo or you may find a better deal. If all fails, tell them your not interested at that price and to call when they can get it down to what your looking to pay. Good luck!
Old 06-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Ich liebe meine Funfers!

Mein Auto: 550i and E34 530i
Sorry to rain on your parade, but that's way too high. There are 2010s out here going for that, full warranty and under 25K miles.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:52 PM

KBB has it priced at $37.5K and Edmunds at $39.2K (CPO) or $36.5K (non certified, but from a dealer). but those are all pre-tax, so it would be nearly 10% higher out the door. My $37K price is post-tax (which equates to about $33.7 pre-tax).

However, both my previous cars were bought at big discounts to KBB, so I thought comparables would be more relevant. Unfortunately, I could only find a couple of comparables online, since this car has a manual transmission, and this price seems competitive compared to those others (which are all beyond driving distance). The only thing I can't know is how much higher the quoted prices are for those other cars than what I see online. I'm getting this car for nearly $6K less than the original quote, so those cars could be available for a lot less than the quoted prices too.

Last edited by Pedro Gonzales; 06-21-2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Added exact KBB and Edmunds prices for the car
Old 06-21-2012, 05:10 PM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
A CPO is definitely worth more especially in a 535.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
don't mix pre and post tax figures if you want sensible answers. What is the PRE-TAX price you would pay - BEFORE incentives from BMW FS or BMW NA?

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 06-21-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
don't mix pre and post tax figures if you want sensible answers. What is the PRE-TAX price you would pay - BEFORE incentives from BMW FS or BMW NA?
$35000 pre tax pre incentives.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:52 AM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Gonzales View Post
It will have almost 1 year of the original warranty
You sure about that? I think it starts from the in-service date which could be Sept, 2008 for example. That means Sept 2012 for the warranty.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
$35000 pre tax pre incentives.
that's not a BAD price - I paid a couple of K more than that a few months back for mine and it is less loaded - it might be a little newer than yours, but still an 09 - warranty end date is Feb 2013 and it only had just under 21k miles. To me the condition of the car is everything and mine is super clean - I was also able to take it back to my local dealer and get them to do a ton of "small" things under warranty - like there was a rub-mark on one of the seat belts which I think was from someone wearing it with a coat with a zipper - the edge was "fuzzy" - it was very localized - but I mentioned it and got a new seat belt based on "safety concerns"

BMW warranty is really good - if things wear or break, you can often get them replaced I found - examples that won't fly are tool marks from someone taking something off - scratches to bodywork, etc - but if say, a knob breaks, you get it fixed. One of my cup holders was sticking - bing -replacement cupholder installed free of charge!

Unless you're at a dealer with those stupid "no-haggle" policies, offer $1k less than asking and say you'll do it right there and then... imo the dealer should not use the incentives from BMW as a bargaining chip with you - because they apply to EVERYONE - not just you.

You are after the best deal for you - that car - and right in the moment - incentives don't cost the dealer a penny - and I could get them, as could anyone walking in off the street with good/very good credit - for example, I got 2 payments on my CPO - it wasn't like the dealer did that - BMW FS did that for me if I chose to finance through them - and I could have got cheaper percentage financing through my credit union - but when I factored in the two payments it was $300 cheaper to use BMW FS if I take the car to to the end of the payment contract - bigger savings if I trade it or pay it off sooner - and less paperwork for me!

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 06-22-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
You sure about that? I think it starts from the in-service date which could be Sept, 2008 for example. That means Sept 2012 for the warranty.
Yes it does. In this case it was Mar 2009, so it lasts until Mar 2013.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:12 AM

Thanks for your detailed response.

Quote:
that's not a BAD price
I ended up accepting the price. I'd pulled a less than stellar move of negotiating down the price based on 'ready-to-sign-here-and-now' and then pulling out anyway when they brought the price down to what I'd asked for. So, they weren't inclined to budge and I didn't feel like pushing either. I don't have too many other options either given that i only want a manual transmission (although the dealer doesn't know that).

Quote:
BMW warranty is really good
Only way i'm buying a BMW is if i have some sort of warranty to fall back on. I have 9 months of the original warranty and with the CPO, 2 more years of the extended warranty. I'm also considering getting the 2 additional years of pre-paid maintenance. It's being offered for $2,295. I probably won't get the tire and wheel warranty for $1,295 but i'm still thinking through that one.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:27 AM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

Quote:
Thanks for your detailed response.

I ended up accepting the price. I'd pulled a less than stellar move of negotiating down the price based on 'ready-to-sign-here-and-now' and then pulling out anyway when they brought the price down to what I'd asked for. So, they weren't inclined to budge and I didn't feel like pushing either. I don't have too many other options either given that i only want a manual transmission (although the dealer doesn't know that).

Only way i'm buying a BMW is if i have some sort of warranty to fall back on. I have 9 months of the original warranty and with the CPO, 2 more years of the extended warranty. I'm also considering getting the 2 additional years of pre-paid maintenance. It's being offered for $2,295. I probably won't get the tire and wheel warranty for $1,295 but i'm still thinking through that one.
Might want to reconsider the pre-paid maintenance part of it though. They will tell you the brakes alone cost $x,000 but do you really need dealer prices just for brakes? There is nothing special there - just brakes like every other car. I'm sure you can do you own windshield wipers
Old 06-22-2012, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 550i; 335i Sedan
do not buy the maintenance plan. it is much easier to pay for it as you go. especially if you arent going to put many miles on it.

its kind of a lose-lose situation. if you buy the maintenance they wont ever want to change the brakes (which to me is the reason to get it). but if you dont buy it the first trip in after your factory maintenance is up they will say you have to get them done. i would find a good indy shop and save yourself the trouble.
BMW 550i-Current

Last edited by heffdiddy; 06-22-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:46 PM

If I'm not taking the maintenance package, I probably don't want to go to the dealer for my regular maintenance either. But then, do I void the extended warranty if I take it elsewhere for the regular maintenance? My guess is, I do not, but I though I'd ask anyway, cos it's better to ask a stupid question than to make a costly assumption.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:05 AM

You won't void the warranty
BMW 550i-Current
Old 06-24-2012, 12:52 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2010 535i M Sport
heffdiddy - what if I do put in at least 20K miles per year, maintenance plan worth it in this situation?

I' m doing research on the cost of the scheduled maintenance from 24K - 100K to evaluate whether the maintenance plan is a bargain in nominal term and stumbled on this thread.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:08 AM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrua View Post
heffdiddy - what if I do put in at least 20K miles per year, maintenance plan worth it in this situation?

I' m doing research on the cost of the scheduled maintenance from 24K - 100K to evaluate whether the maintenance plan is a bargain in nominal term and stumbled on this thread.
It is not a bargain.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
It is not a bargain.

i put 20-24k miles a year on my car and it still doesnt make sense
BMW 550i-Current

Last edited by heffdiddy; 06-25-2012 at 06:39 AM.