Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 06-22-2012, 01:51 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Notes on a 2009 535i HiFi to MS-8 install...

Customer wants MS-8 to replace his OEM HiFi system completely plus add a center speaker (DLS 424 coaxial). No other aftermarket equipment to be installed, be 100% reversible back to OEM and it has to have a significant improvement in sound quality and loudness while using the OEM speakers.

No problem with the E60 PnP harness kit... :thumbsup:

Remove M-ASK unit:

Transfer OEM MOST connector to new Quadralock harness:

Plug Quadralock harness in...

... and plug extension cables (inputs and outputs, including remote signal) into harness:

Ads by Google
Old 06-22-2012, 01:52 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Install center speaker into existing OEM mount and run new speaker wires:

Run extension cables (and center speaker wires) on each side of the center console, under the front seats, via the door sills towards the trunk:

Plug OEM amp harness in:

Old 06-22-2012, 01:52 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Plug MS-8 to input/output M-ASK extension cables (front, center and rear speakers) and to OEM amp input and output underseat woofers signals (cables pre-terminated for PnP):

Notes:

1) MS-8 uses the 12V and ground connections from the OEM amp via the PnP harness. The OEM amp 12V is a 40A fused OEM line; the MS-8 is double-fused at 25A. No whine, no noises.

2) Result: quite an inprovement in clarity, front stage focus, bass impact and overall loudness despite the OEM speakers. This should not be any secret or magic: power was increased from 25W x 4/40W x 2 to 60W max x 7, adjustments went from just bass/treble to bass/mid/treble, sub and center level, Logic7, and 31-band EQ while the M-ASK outputs EQ curve flattened. So there are enough possible adjustments to get a relatively louder and clearer sound than OEM. The addition of the DLS 424 center channel and particularly the Logic7 processing created a higher, adjustable (driver/passenger/front focused) and just better front stage that was not there before.

Customer was very happy with the result, so I was happy...
Old 08-05-2012, 10:00 PM

Mein Auto: C280
what exactly is an M-8? I just purchased a 2010 E60 2 days ago with a HiFi sound system. Sound is okay. I have test driven another E60 with the L7 sound system and does sound much better. Is this M-8 an upgrade to L7 sound?
Although i'm very familiar with upgrading to aftermarket sound systems. I want to try and keep thing as OEM as possible. Avoiding the extra Amps and boxes in the trunk.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nDrew View Post
what exactly is an MS-8? I just purchased a 2010 E60 2 days ago with a HiFi sound system. Sound is okay. I have test driven another E60 with the L7 sound system and does sound much better. Is this MS-8 an upgrade to L7 sound?
Although i'm very familiar with upgrading to aftermarket sound systems. I want to try and keep thing as OEM as possible. Avoiding the extra Amps and boxes in the trunk.
JBL MS-8: http://de.jbl.com/tl_files/catalog//...s%20Manual.pdf
Old 01-07-2013, 12:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E60 528i xDrive
Wink

Where did you get the wiring harness? I am currently in the process of upgrading and need some parts. If you have more information documented how you did this, I would be truly appreciative
Old 01-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer11 View Post
Where did you get the wiring harness? I am currently in the process of upgrading and need some parts. If you have more information documented how you did this, I would be truly appreciative
Please use PM for details.